PDA

View Full Version : Towing an Airstream

David Wiltshire
08/03/2003, 10:01 AM
I am thinking of buying an Airstream caravan and want to tow it with my VX does anyone know what size I could tow as a maximum is a 28ft too much?

Best regards
David Wiltshire.

Joe_Black
08/03/2003, 03:29 PM
Basically follow the specs on the Trooper RS, which is 5000lbs with 500 on the tongue max. Just keep in mind that the short wheelbase makes for different handling and to keep the auto out of overdrive. I haven't towed yet with the VX (haven't installed Tone's hitch yet) but did extensively with my '93 Trooper RS. Had absolutely no problems and actually enjoyed the extra maneuverability afforded by the shorter chassis. Especially with the bigger, heavier loads!

Joe_Black
08/03/2003, 07:44 PM
Thanks SPAZZ! Forgot about them dinky hitches!

Tone
08/04/2003, 08:21 AM
Anything over about 3K lbs should be equipped with trailer brakes. Then as long as it does not exceed the 5K total, 250lb tongue weight (for the VX) you should be fine. Not sure I would tow it through the Catskills though. Watch for the Tranny Overtemp light and I strongly recommend using synthetics if you are going to do this regularly.

Green Dragon
08/05/2003, 07:24 AM
1: As a former Airstream owner I think they are way overpriced.

2: Trailers towed by Short wheelbase vehicles tend to be unstable in high wind conditions.

3: Here is a forum where you might pick up some useful info.

http://www.airstreamforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4657

David Wiltshire
08/06/2003, 12:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies if I do decide to get one I guess the 24 to 26ft range will be best. Next stage is to find a dealer to export one for me, to save transport costs I guess I need a dealer near the East coast anyone know of a good dealer?

Joe_Black
08/06/2003, 06:19 PM
Why would you import? There's gobs of Airstreams in the UK. Just plonk the requisite search info into Yahoo! or Google and have at it.