PDA

View Full Version : how far should I go on spare with oversized tires?

blujfan9293
09/06/2009, 03:55 PM
Thinking ahead to the inevitable--getting a flat while traveling or even local driving. I run 265/70/18 with a 3" lift; should i even attempt to install the factory spare and drive to shop to have a tire repaired? Even at low speeds/short distances? What kind of lopsideness would I experience? Surely, someone has a success/horror story, if not an urban legend (this guy at Moab told me about this guy who...).

Triathlete
09/06/2009, 04:30 PM
Ideally a full size spare would be best. However the donut can be used. Just make sure to install it in the proper place per your owners manuel, keep your speed down and drive on it as little as possible. It will get to to a tire shop.
If you are off road...well, a full size is definately the way to go. It would require some special driving to get off the trail with the donut.

handeeman
09/08/2009, 12:05 PM
Ideally a full size spare would be best. However the donut can be used. Just make sure to install it in the proper place per your owners manuel, keep your speed down and drive on it as little as possible. It will get to to a tire shop.
If you are off road...well, a full size is definately the way to go. It would require some special driving to get off the trail with the donut.

Since I don't have a roof rack and basket yet (to carry a full size spare on top). I've been thinking about buying 3 more donut spares to carry in back. I think i would still have enough room for the Honda 1200cc Blender and other essential stuff. Plus 3 donuts can't weigh much more than a full size spare tire. However I may defer asking this question to Dumke as it appears he has more experience with donuts and spare tires.

tom4bren
09/08/2009, 01:41 PM
I've never run the donut on the VX but I have on other cars. Handling gets very 'squirrely' even at moderate speeds.

If you can figure out where to carry a full sized spare - go for it.

nfpgasmask
09/08/2009, 02:18 PM
My donut spare is sitting the backyard. I have need for it.

IMO, a full size spare is the only way to go, on or off road. But like Billy said, the donut could probably get you to a service station. Personally though, I wouldn't do it. If you have no roof rack, you can fit a full sized spare in the back, but not much else unless you remove the back seats.

Bart

Triathlete
09/08/2009, 04:15 PM
3 more donuts vs 1 full size spare...1 full size spare has got to take up less space. For a spare you could use a 7-8 inch wide rim and a tire of the same diameter as you current set up but 9.5 or 10.5 inch width. I don't have a basket either but have had no problem strapping a full size spare down in the cargo area of the VX.

pbkid
09/08/2009, 06:50 PM
ive driven my VX on the spare, but only on the front per the manual... and that was with STOCK SIZED TIRES...
if i was bigger than stock at all, i wouldnt even attempt it

handeeman
09/09/2009, 10:33 AM
I've never run the donut on the VX but I have on other cars. Handling gets very 'squirrely' even at moderate speeds.

If you can figure out where to carry a full sized spare - go for it.

My donut spare is sitting the backyard. I have need for it.

IMO, a full size spare is the only way to go, on or off road. But like Billy said, the donut could probably get you to a service station. Personally though, I wouldn't do it. If you have no roof rack, you can fit a full sized spare in the back, but not much else unless you remove the back seats.

Bart

3 more donuts vs 1 full size spare...1 full size spare has got to take up less space. For a spare you could use a 7-8 inch wide rim and a tire of the same diameter as you current set up but 9.5 or 10.5 inch width. I don't have a basket either but have had no problem strapping a full size spare down in the cargo area of the VX.

OK, I was prolly teasing (about 3 more donuts)except for the dumke part. lmao. i have discovered i can fit both the full size spare and the 1200cc blender in back. Plus if I pack carefully, still have room for a weeks worth of granny panties1177

tom4bren
09/09/2009, 10:43 AM
There was a request last year for someone to mount up 4 donuts on their VX & take some pix. I think you just volunteered. Where should I send my donut?:)

handeeman
09/09/2009, 10:56 AM
There was a request last year for someone to mount up 4 donuts on their VX & take some pix. I think you just volunteered. Where should I send my donut?:)

Hold off on sending the donut, maybe if we get a Florida meet I could borrow 3 to mount up as a photo opportunity. Would have alla people talking in the wheels and tire thread. Sorta a poor mans remedy to custom wheels and skins.

Dumke
09/09/2009, 01:56 PM
...However I may defer asking this question to Dumke as it appears he has more experience with donuts and spare tires.

Hey just because I resmble that remark. I like Cream filled ones perferably..

Ok all kidding aside I am guessing that is where your going with the dumke comment :p ... LOL.. (Dont want and infraction)

OK sorry back to subject I have never used full size spare. Even tho my truck isnt up to par atm as some things I need to fix. I have a full size tire in back and as for storage I use where my full size spare was. Behind the back seats really has no room for anything I need to carry that cant go in front or back seat.

Yes the full size spare needs to go in front "per manual". Something to do with the TOD... there is a post on it.

I do know a vehicross can carry 4 "regular size" tires without a back seat. (forget who it was but was from Nebraska.) With back seata dn two kids you can fit 4 bigger tires as I did it from a meet but it takes alot of articulating lol..

tom4bren
09/09/2009, 02:00 PM
Yup, 4 OEM will fit in the back of a VX with the seat folded & flipped.

Nope, full size spare can go on any corner. Donut must go on front tho.

handeeman
09/09/2009, 02:04 PM
Ah Ha, I knew Dumke couln't resist a thread about donuts. Safety spares that is. So your saying if i took the back seat out I could carry 4 full size spares. Hummmmmmm that is a thought.

tom4bren
09/09/2009, 02:09 PM
Or go the TaylorRichie route:

I've already taken it out with Brit, Me, 2 Dogs, the Fridge/Freezer, big springbar tent setup, Camp Chef stove, Propane, Big Water Tank, Camp Chairs, all of our unrefridgerated food, and clothes. Only thing missing is the kitchen sink... to be added soon.

Triathlete
09/09/2009, 03:09 PM
Nope, full size spare can go on any corner.

Not neccesarily. If your other 3 tires are worn and your spare is new it might cause the TOD to act up. Might want to include your spare in tire rotations to help prevent that...or just mount your spare regardless of full size or donut up front.

So-CalVX
09/10/2009, 09:12 PM
send all donut spares to 1640 auto center drive, oxnard, california 93036
c/o lloyd in parts

i need three more before i can run around all yellow n black

i'll do it... pic's, video, maybe sum wheelin too haha

crotchrocket
09/11/2009, 01:20 AM
1200cc blender??

Ldub
09/11/2009, 01:29 AM
1200cc blender??

:naughty:...http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2354016961_38c2b5467c_o.jpg

handeeman
09/11/2009, 10:17 AM
send all donut spares to 1640 auto center drive, oxnard, california 93036
c/o lloyd in parts

i need three more before i can run around all yellow n black

i'll do it... pic's, video, maybe sum wheelin too haha

:naughty:...http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2354016961_38c2b5467c_o.jpg

So-CalVX, it would be funny to see, but I don't think i would drive it on 4 donut spares.....might mess up the TOD.

Thank ya Ldub... that's the blender...full 1200cc.
I guess in the UK they never had a serious Moooonkie party.

Ldub
09/12/2009, 12:33 AM
Thank ya Ldub... that's the blender...full 1200cc.
I guess in the UK they never had a serious Moooonkie party.

LOL...NOBODY has ever had a serious mOOnkee par-tay...:laughing:

Though it is possible to get seriously moonkified at said par-T...:naughty:

"Doughnoot spare/OS tires!" (staying on T)...:smilewink