PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak on New 99 VX

Jonnie
08/03/2003, 07:26 AM
I just picked up a 99 VX and drove it 270 miles home.

Went to bed at 1am and woke up, started the VX and the oil light went on. Underneath found an oil slick under it. and a loose drain plug. Maybe a half turn till finger tight.

I walked 2 miles and got 4 qts of overpriced oil. with 4 qts, the dipstick registered half way. The light never came on while driving home.

I am now noticing a squeak that seems to come from the top right pully (while facing block).

Do I:

1. Shoot myself.

2. Ignore it.

3. Drive 270 miles back to CarMax.

4. Demand a free warantee.

Jonathan

Yes, I took pics.

Moncha
08/03/2003, 08:04 AM
If you didn't run it for very long after the light came on you should be ok. The engine only holds roughly 5 to 5.5 qts (depending on the filter that is installed). I've never heard an engine "Squeak" when low on oil.. I'd check for belt contamination or for something else.. If there is damage from low oil, you'll most likely hear a noticeable knock or rattle sound.

**Could you please update your profile with your vehicle info**

SGT.BATGUANO
08/03/2003, 01:52 PM
If you can get by without your VX, don't drive it until you get satisfaction from Carmax. At the very least reimbursement for oil, filter, washer and labor.

As discreetly as possible, find out if Carmax did an oil change on it. See if you can get documentation on it, including parts used.

The copper crushwasher on the drain plug is NOT a reuseable part and is supposed to be replaced each oil change. If they didn't replace it you've got the foundation to proceed with your demands.

Change the oil and filter due to any possible contamination that might result from reduced oil capacity. Low capacity circulates more frequently, gets dirty faster and loses additive properties faster.

Personally, I went to Autozone and picked up a magnetic drain plug that just so happens to come with a nylon (reuseable) washer. ;)

Jonnie
08/03/2003, 03:11 PM
Well, I talked to a couple of people, including Joe Black.

The consensus is that the oil light did not come on so there was pressure, that's good. I did not run it in the morning with the indicator. I will recheck the level with it cold.

I called CarMax and reamed them about them supossedly checking the vehicles, and they were very sorry and were ready to give me info for a wrecker.

The squeak or chirp from one of the pullies has disapeared.

It basically sucked to see a puddle of oil under the VX.

I WAS at Autozone and got aluminum blackened valve covers for the tire stems, 2 were MIA.

CarMax has an Ebony 99 VX with 26K (mine 52K) for $1700 more....hmmmm.

Jonathan

:eek:

Joe_Black
08/03/2003, 03:44 PM
Here's a link to that one-owner Proton I mentioned: eBay VX (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6270&item=2425974712)

Jonnie
08/03/2003, 04:20 PM
Hi Joe!

Thanks for all the help today! I looked at it but the age milage ratio is a bit off.

Plus my issues are cash down and trade, which worked out on this current deal. Interest rates are gonna go uo, which was another part of why I said yes to the the one outside my window people keep looking at....hey! Scat! It's mine!

I do like the grey interior, anyone got one for me?

Jonathan