PDA

View Full Version : Mountain bike? Suggestions please.

Dumke
09/01/2009, 01:33 PM
OK I am wanting to start riding a bike. Guess to lose some weight and something to do. Stipulations is a.) it has to hold up my "beefy" +285 frame and b.) has to haev a comfey seat (non bannana seat or whatever those where called.)

OK serious note I am lookingf ro something to ride around the neighborhood or maybe even further on highway. I dont need a tenspeed (bikes with those little bitty skinny wheels.) I need something a little rugged that will hold up to some abuse but that wont be a chore to ride. My yard is dirt and grass and then goes to gravel then to being paved. I want to take bike from front door and ride till whenever then back home. I also want something that is cheap which is why whatever suggestions that are given i will probably craigslist it to fing a cheap one.

So suggestions?

ZEUS
09/01/2009, 01:41 PM
I was looking at buying this one: Paratrooper (http://www.militarybikes.com/)

Maybe out of your price range but I had to show it to you!

nfpgasmask
09/01/2009, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't worry about the seat. I have a low-mid price range Trek (I think it was like $350-$400) and its a really nice bike, but the seat made my arse hurt pretty bad. So, I went to REI and spent $40 on a nice cushy seat and now my butt is happy again.

:) Bart

MSHardeman
09/01/2009, 02:07 PM
Dumke, to help you out a little more I'll need some more information. I get that you don't want a road bike (usually lighter bikes with skinny little tires), but do you think that you'll get pretty gnarly off road, or will you be, mostly, on gravel paths when you're "off road"? I ask because you could get a beach cruiser type bike. They are usually very comfortable with big cushy seats and wider tires. You also usually sit more upright on them, but they usually only have one gear (some have three and others seven). Something like this: http://www.harborcountrybike.com/Electra_Rat_Fink_3_Alloy_Men_s_Cruiser_Bicycle_p/168260.htm Electra makes a bunch of cool bikes actually. Check out their website: http://www.electrabike.com/home.php Most of the cruisers won't allow you to stand up and pedal due to their laid back riding position.

The next step up would be a mountain bike. They have wider knobby tires (usually), but you're in a more hunched over position when you ride them. You can usually stand up to pedal, and depending on the frame and bike, you can get into some mild to serious off roading. Once you're in the mountain bike territory you can get anything from completely rigid to fully suspended. A rigid bike is just what it sounds like; no suspension. Those will be the least expensive, but most "uncomfortable". The next step up would be front suspension. This means that the rear tire is mounted to the frame and the front tire is mounted to a suspension fork. This will allow the front wheel to absorb some shock as you hit bumps and curbs. The final step up is a fully suspended bike with front and rear shocks. By far the most comfortable, but probably the most expensive of the bunch. You can still get, fairly, inexpensive full suspension bikes, but a rigid bike with the same specs would still be cheaper. On all of these if you find yourself riding on the street more than the trails you can always replace the knobby tires with some slicker ones to cut down on your rolling resistance.

Guess this all depends on how much you are looking to spend, what kind of riding you're expecting to do, and if you want to get a bike to "grow" into, or something cheap that you can replace later if you really get into biking.

Hope some of that helps.

circmand
09/01/2009, 02:08 PM
they rent them out on the coast for tourists big soft tires and seats

Triathlete
09/01/2009, 03:21 PM
Not cheap, but this Ti Black Sheep cruiser is simplicity (single speed) and beauty all in one...
http://reviews.mtbr.com/nahbs/files/2008/02/img_3909.JPG

Triathlete
09/01/2009, 03:43 PM
The big thing is going to be what do you consider inexpensive. Under $1000, $750, $500, $250...????
If you want something cheap you will be stuck with whatever your local chain sporting good store, Walley world, or KMart carries. I don't know if you have a Performance Bikes in your area, but you can find some good deals on low-mid priced bikes there ($200-$800).
To keep the cost down and keep it simple, I would look into a single speed mountain bike. The GT Peace is a nice one that can be found for $500-$800. Disc brakes, and no gears to shift or adjust....just pedal. The nice thing about getting a bike from a bike shop is a) they can service them if needed b) you can get a bike that properly fits you (more comfort, more likely to ride it c) they have a bit of knowledge about what you are buying.
If you know what size bike you need ebay and other similar sites can be your friend! Also check the local mtn bike forums...they generally have a for sale section. The key though is knowing what size bike you need.

VCrossfan
09/01/2009, 08:09 PM
I love my Trek Fuel 98 SLR, a great cross-country bike.. It was a great upgrade from my "old school" Carbon Fiber mid 90's Trek Y-22

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Griprip/Trek%20Fuel/Pictures8_25_07232.jpg

VXorado
09/01/2009, 09:24 PM
I've been riding a Giant Iguana disc for years, the bike is pretty light and strong. Its a hardtail unlike VCrossfan's full suspension and just has the shocks up front. You have to decide what you want: full suspension or hardtail. Hardtails are usually cheaper and lighter, full suspensions usually have a smoother ride but can be pricy (and the cheapos are usually really heavy)- pretty much a recap on what Mark said.

I would recommend full suspension if you want to spend at least $300-400 for a used one and a hardtail (with front shocks) if you want a decent bike for cheap. I once had a $99 full suspension bike from walmart and after a few months the crank arm broke off and the rear suspension locked up.

If you find some bikes on craigslist, you should post them on this thread and we can let you know if they're any good looking.

technocoy
09/01/2009, 11:12 PM
I've got a trek 6500 and love it too. I'm a bigger guy as well (width wise) and just bought a more comfy gel seat.

I wouldn't skimp on the bike if you are a heavy dude. You want good components when you put a lot of weight to it otherwise what seems like a great deal now will wind up costing you as much in the mid term when all the components start popping.

I love my Trek and love my Specialized when I had it, but I've had some friends pick up similar bikes with nicer shimano components from REI and I was surprised at the quality for the price.

Buddy of mine got a very similar bike to mine with the front shock and disc brakes (all the same shimano components) with just a hair heavier frame for like 400-450.

Give a look on craigslist for a nice trek or specialized mountain and just get a good seat.

Hotsauce
09/01/2009, 11:59 PM
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4241/matrixmhb.jpg (too big to post)

Thats my Dahon Matrix. It folds, and its very strong.

Mine also has the Bionx fitted. Not a cheap option, but overall, its made the bike more useful for me, and I ride everywhere now, whereas before I almost never rode.

These tires are almost slicks, so not as hard to pedal as knobby tires.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9858/carbonfibero.jpg

I also have a Felt carbon fiber bike for more serious road riding, but it mostly sits because its not as much fun to ride.

John C.

MSHardeman
09/02/2009, 07:53 AM
Hotsauce,
Not to T.J. too much here, but what is that Bionx thing? That rear hub looks huge. Is it internally geared?

Triathlete
09/02/2009, 10:45 AM
VCrossfan, I rented a Trek Fuel while i Moab. Great bike and a blast on the Slickrock trail. Really absorbed the bumps nicely.
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Triathlete/09%20Moab/09Moabday1181.jpg
Again though, a price range would help in recommendations,

handeeman
09/02/2009, 11:23 AM
This looks like something you may like. Don't know if they make it in a mountain bike configuration. See a lot of em here in Florida, some being ridden by people of your stature, so they appear to be strong. Think there around $250.00 thru walmark.

alanpike
09/02/2009, 03:40 PM
I do 18 miles a day on my mountain bike but its just too heavy so its time to invest in a carbon racer.

its got me fit over the last 4 months but I am too old for up hill riding lol.

There is no suspension on the mountain bike but I dont go off road just tarmac.

Ldub
09/02/2009, 04:29 PM
Like...totally go natural...:cool:

Bamboo, hemp & used cow parts is where it's at man...:thumbup:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/calfee6.jpg

ZEUS
09/02/2009, 06:31 PM
RAWHIDE!!! YEEHAW!

Hotsauce
09/02/2009, 06:39 PM
Hotsauce,
Not to T.J. too much here, but what is that Bionx thing? That rear hub looks huge. Is it internally geared?

www.bionx.ca

The rear houses a 350watt electric motor. That 'thing' on the frame is a LiMn battery pack. The controller is torque sensitive, and it also has regenerative braking.

John C.

MSHardeman
09/03/2009, 07:47 AM
John, that's pretty freakin' cool. From what I read (quickly) it doesn't look like the motor propels you on it's own, but just adds a little push to the effort that you put in. I know I've needed a "little help" many times trying to get up a steep hill.

OK, back to Dumke's question.....have you made a decision yet?

JHarris1385
09/03/2009, 11:23 AM
Good thread I am in the same boat almost. Going to purchase two mnt. bikes in the next week or so.

Triathlete
09/03/2009, 02:35 PM
Dub, that bike was built by Calfee (http://www.calfeedesign.com/bamboo.htm) for the interbike show (like the detroit auto show...for bikes). They actually build custom road and mtn bikes out of bamboo (along with some really nice carbon frames). Bamboo has a tensile strength greater than still and rides really nice. But they are not cheap!

Dumke
09/03/2009, 04:48 PM
OK sorry for the delay I just got my MRI done. Thank you all for info you have provided for thus far and insight of things I need look into. OK I thought I made sense in my first post but guess not so here goes. When I said no "ten speed" I meant no little tires like lance armstrongtires as I dont think they will hold up to my +285 frame. I will be mostly be road riding on paved rodes. I would say about 50 yards or so is gravel and then another 30 yards is plain dirt/sand (meaning comming into and out of my driveway). I would like something that changes gears because if I go far enough from my house it will be up and down hill instead of the riding around the nieghborhood. I would like to some day get into off road riding (down hill whathave you because firgure like in bobsleding I win with weight, and no it wont be cheating lol.) To me that looks the most fun because of speed and just not stop going, but I need in shape first before I branch out on what kind of riding I will wind up doing. I hate stationary bikes and I hate ruinning because its boring and its same constant so this was my next option. When I mentioned the seat "as a joke" being bigger I dont know how it will feel on my fat tushy or be comfey but like Billy said will go try some out. Now for the ever importanty price range. I know you get what you pay for with anything but was looking for ideas as in my previous post I am going to check craigslist for a "used" bike for now. I will purchase something snazzier down the road ( no pun intended :p )when I find out what type of riding I want to do in the long run. I hope this make sense and you all have given me a few ideas I will look into thanks..

As for my previous ride i frew out of ..

Sorry everyone else postedthier rides so figured I wouldl too :D thanks again guys.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/CIMG1585.JPG

Triathlete
09/03/2009, 06:35 PM
If you intend on road riding with just a bit of gravel...a cyclocross bike might be right up your alley. However, if you plan on eventually rather sooner or later do mostly off road get the best mtn bike you can afford and throw some slicks on it for the road and then put the knobbier tires back on for the dirt. And by the way those skinny tires will hold up to your weight and then some. In triathlon they have a catagory for the big guys and gals...clysedale/atheana.
Main thing like I said above, make sure the bike fits correctly. If it doesn't you'll never get comfortable and eventually it will end up collecting dust or you will be looking for another bike. Most decent bike shops should be able to figure out what size bike you will need.
And the bike I was on...just a rental!

Rubicool
09/06/2009, 02:57 PM
Ellsworth....great bike!

PalmBeachVX
09/07/2009, 01:23 AM
I can recommend the Merlin brand. I have the elevated chainstay model with a combination XT/XTR gruppo. Changed over to Speedplay titanium lollipops, then to regular cage pedals and the firmest elastomer. Put on some Michelin Redlines and dialed those original (read old :D) Judy Rockshox up tight...and it made for a great city bike.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/9813/merlinm.jpg