PDA

View Full Version : What's white and grey, 4000lbs, and goes 100mph?

Jonnie
08/02/2003, 10:32 PM
Er, my new 99 Ironman VX. Just got home with it, well a little while ago, I had to wash the FL bugs off so it won't be dirty when I wake up.

Jonathan:rolleyes:

IsuZOOM
08/02/2003, 10:41 PM
Congratulations! Not just a back seat anymore, eh :)

Heraclid
08/03/2003, 02:29 PM
Congratulations! Didn't buy it off a fellow board member did ya? I know Scott (VX1) in Tampa was at one time considering selling his, but I think his was a 2000 or 2001.

Jonnie
08/03/2003, 03:33 PM
The first VX I looked at was on the west coast of FL, the second, in Ft Myers, this one was at CarMax In Boynton Beach (west coast).

There are a few issues with it aside from my oil plug horror story.

1. The Fuzzy hole felt is pealing.
2. Passenger window is not seating (we all know this) right and causes wind noise.
3. No original mats (gave me cheap ones).
4. Head light gaskets are totally gone.
5. The aftermarket satilite radio has wire antennas up the windshield posts.
6. Passenger side defost vent pops out, on own

CarMax said they would adress all this at the Tampa site (well, not 5).

Now I just found a 3/4 crack in the from glass just below center, never saw till an hour ago. Geez! Thought it was a bug spot, but it did not come off.

Don't get me wrong, the VX is in pretty good shape for it age and miles. I am pretty picky.

The funny thing is when I first looked at it, I examined the cladding first as a sign of health., and it was perfect. Then 6 hours later after the paperwork, and it was 8pm, they handed me the keys and I realized the cladding was painted. But it's a great job, especially because picky me missed it.

But any used vehicle is gonna have something...

Jonathan

Moncha
08/03/2003, 03:46 PM
Congrats!! Hope all goes well for you..

Jonnie
08/03/2003, 06:29 PM
:cooly:

I uploaded a pic to my photo area.

Jonathan

johnnyapollo
08/03/2003, 07:34 PM
Hey Jon,

Lookin Good! Congrats on your purchase! You coming up for the Daytona Beach meet?

-- John

Joe_Black
08/03/2003, 07:42 PM
Not too bad! Now if you don't like that roof rack, I know a Dragon that might take it off your hands...

Heraclid
08/04/2003, 03:40 PM
Jonnie,

I think you'd almost be hard-pressed to find someone who has NOT had a window problem of some sort. Mine don't track right on either side at the moment. I traditionally leave them up because it helps keep the interior cleaner, so it's only really a problem at a drive-up ATM or drive-thru windows, and I don't eat in it anyway. Still, I want 'em fixed soon.

I have my original mats and they are in pretty decent shape. I'm saving them but not really sure why since I have no plans to sell it anytime soon and wouldn't actually use the stock mats for fear of messing them up more. Go figure. :-) I really intend to keep this one forever.

My side vent was also doing that at the time I got it, and while I was at the Ocala meet back in June, PBR (from this forum) said his did it also and proceeded to yank mine all the way out and take a look. Which I didn't much appreciate, but when he put it back in it stayed in like it is meant to be, so I can't really complain since he fixed it. Hasn't popped out since. Be careful if you decide to try it though (easy does it)- I think he broke the tabs on his own doing the same thing.

My cladding was scratched some to begin with, but I'm figuring on having Line-X applied eventually and then it won't matter anyway. Not sure what a front piece would run if I went that route, and then whether it is new or used you have to wonder if it would match good enough colorwise. The stuff is really not that hard to scratch - in the last week I noticed I've picked up a few nicks - really minor ones, but I'm pretty nitpicky. And while easy to scratch, I do think it is very securely mounted and not liable to do anything other than scratch under less than pretty extreme conditions.

Mine also has a half-inch crack in the red part of the door panel right under the pop-up lock thingy. I'd bet someone was in the door before to work on the windows and fitted the panel back on slightly wrong, making the metal underneath split the plastic up there on the corner. Wish I could prove it, but I think I can fix it on my own by bending the metal very carefully and gluing it.

My headlights were scuffed up too. Blue Magic plastic polish improved this dramatically and it's virtually unnoticeable now. It did take several applications to get it where it is though.

My CD changer worked initially but went out after around two weeks, maybe less. Last time I had it in they ordered one and after bugging them for three weeks I actually just got it put in at about 4:00 this afternoon. Took about 20 minutes. They had it on a shelf in the back but hadn't called me to say the part was in. I called them alot though so unless someone was lying or lazy it didn't even come in until no more than a couple of days ago. I think they forgot to order it for a while. And then I almost think they actually put it on a boat from Japan or something. :-) Same unit as before so we'll see how long it lasts.

So yeah, there are going to be issues with used ones. :-) And mine was kept in excellent shape by the previous owner, but things break... just how it goes.

P.S. - Saw the pic, and as far as I can tell from that it looks really good. :-)