PDA

View Full Version : Why do things break at the worst possible time???

JAMAS
08/31/2009, 07:07 AM
So now that the boy is here and my pockets are empty, I think I might need to replace the Mode Selector Switch.

Right now, the only problem is the flashing park/reverse/drive lights. Not all the time, just when I change gears. When I went from Reverse out of my driveway, then to neutral, then to drive, the light stayed on neutral for a second. I know that the problem can be intermittent and it can also get worse. So, I want to fix it before it becomes a bigger problem.

My question is .....

I am a smart man, but not a mechanic. Is this a job that I can do without the possibility of breaking anything? The last thing I want/need is to make the problem worse.

Also, I have read 2 different things regarding the Mode Selector Switch. One, replace. Two, Fix.

Fix: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14031&highlight=mode+selector+switch

What is everyones thoughts on those two questions?

To recap:
Question 1: Can I do this myself?
Question 2: Fix or replace?

Thanks all!!!

Ldub
08/31/2009, 07:21 AM
I would try fixin' it first, then if you have to replace it, the job will take half the time, as you'll be familiar with what's involved...:luck:..:_wrench:

JAMAS
08/31/2009, 07:34 AM
It's called Murphys law...

I hate Murphy

WormGod
08/31/2009, 08:06 AM
Clean the selector switch. Especially if you ever go offroad. I don't and you would be surprised at how much mine was still gummed up. I suppose the Mid Atlantic winter salts take a toll on that as much as they do... well.... everything else.

JAMAS
08/31/2009, 08:08 AM
Clean the selector switch. Especially if you ever go offroad. I don't and you would be surprised at how much mine was still gummed up. I suppose the Mid Atlantic winter salts take a toll on that as much as they do... well.... everything else.

Any suggestions on the best way to clean it?

Wipe down, cleaning products, etc?

Thanks!

Ldub
08/31/2009, 08:23 AM
Any suggestions on the best way to clean it?

Wipe down, cleaning products, etc?

Thanks!

:_thinking In the cleaning link you posted, there was mention made of carb cleaner...:_wrench:

tom4bren
08/31/2009, 09:24 AM
"So now that the boy is here and my pockets are empty, I think I might need to replace the Mode Selector Switch."

"Any suggestions on the best way to clean it? Wipe down, cleaning products, etc?"

Ummm ... baby wipes???

VX KAT
08/31/2009, 09:39 AM
:_thinking In the cleaning link you posted, there was mention made of carb cleaner...:_wrench:

Oh don't worry, we need to cut him a ton of slack...he's riding on about zero sleep if I had to guess! The mind just ain't as sharp right now.....JAMAS be careful if you do try repair....try to get some zzzzz's first!:zzzo:

JAMAS
08/31/2009, 10:17 AM
"So now that the boy is here and my pockets are empty, I think I might need to replace the Mode Selector Switch."

"Any suggestions on the best way to clean it? Wipe down, cleaning products, etc?"

Ummm ... baby wipes???

Clever.

mdwyer
08/31/2009, 10:18 AM
Question 2: Fix or replace?

I opened mine up, and so thoroughly screwed up the gasket, that I was never able to get it put back together again. I suggest buying the (stupidly overpriced) new one, then trying to repair the old one to keep around as a backup.

JAMAS
08/31/2009, 10:26 AM
Oh don't worry, we need to cut him a ton of slack...he's riding on about zero sleep if I had to guess! The mind just ain't as sharp right now.....JAMAS be careful if you do try repair....try to get some zzzzz's first!:zzzo:

Thanks for the understanding. I am a bit tired......okay, I'm ALOT tired. Having a great Wife to team up with helps alot though. Its times like this that I really see how amazing my Wife is. I love that Woman.:heart:

Sorry....got a little mushy there.

Maybe I will take a nap under the VX with the false pretense of working on it.:):)

Ldub
08/31/2009, 11:10 AM
Oh don't worry, we need to cut him a ton of slack...

Hey...I used a smilie...:smilewink

Thanks for the understanding. I am a bit tired......okay, I'm ALOT tired. Having a great Wife to team up with helps alot though. Its times like this that I really see how amazing my Wife is. I love that Woman.:heart:

Sorry....got a little mushy there.

Maybe I will take a nap under the VX with the false pretense of working on it.:):)

You'll be OK Pop, that idea about nappin' under the VX has a lot of merit...:sleepgray

JAMAS
08/31/2009, 11:13 AM
Hey...I used a smilie...:smilewink

"I said with all due respect"......."Its in the Geneva Convention."

~Ricky Bobby (Taladega Nights)

Ldub
08/31/2009, 11:18 AM
"I said with all due respect"......."Its in the Geneva Convention."

~Ricky Bobby (Taladega Nights)

I'll have to rent that one...:_confused

JAMAS
08/31/2009, 11:21 AM
I'll have to rent that one...:_confused

Its a pretty funny Will Ferrell movie. If you like that kinda thing.

Please to enjoy this clip....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-Id_fuXFA

Ldub
08/31/2009, 12:04 PM
LOL...:laughing:

tom4bren
08/31/2009, 01:25 PM
Clever.

I have my moments:)

WormGod
09/01/2009, 07:46 AM
I opened mine up, and so thoroughly screwed up the gasket, that I was never able to get it put back together again. I suggest buying the (stupidly overpriced) new one, then trying to repair the old one to keep around as a backup.

The gasket can be pretty brittle. Ya, I guess it's worth noting, heh. Mine was toast because I guess winter salts ate it like cake. IIRC, I never found any options to buying JUST the gasket so I believe I just doctored it up as well as I could and re-used it. What's the worse that could happen.... it happens again? :p

I used a carb cleaner on the guts and used a servo grease before closing up. It's really pretty simple so no need to feel too overwhelmed. I think there is another thread on here that even talks about How To, but I am at work and cant do the grunt work for ya. ;)