PDA

View Full Version : Big Glass Roof?

WyrreJ
08/02/2003, 08:27 PM
So, I did a jurassic park marathon this past week and I noticed that in the first movie they had a bunch of land rovers done up with the roof removed on the front and replaced with solid plexiglass. Anyone know anything about getting a mod like that for the VX? I've seen the threads about sunroofs, but I don't really care about letting the air in, just the light.

I was thinking the bigger the better for a "moon roof" like that and what would be doubly cool would be to use some of that LCD glass that you can switch between transparent and opaque with a small current. Anyone seen anything like that in a car?

Dallas4u
08/03/2003, 09:22 AM
Would be an interesting project to say the least! I haven't seen the LCD glass in autos, or maybe I have, I can't remember... but I have of course seen it in houses, and it is plain awesome.

Joe_Black
08/03/2003, 03:19 PM
You could maybe install a set of aviaton skylights. Usually found in a variety of small high-wing aircraft, they look like two parallel enlongated ovals and are available in clear and a variety of tints. Here's a LINK (http://www.glapinc.com/Cessna/182/c-182all.htm#Skylight) to one vendor that sells skylights for all different kinds of aircraft. Unfortunately they don't have pics but I imagine you could request some and dimensions. Since they're suitable for mounting in aluminum sheet they should work nicely in the VX roof.

hchen
08/04/2003, 05:59 PM
doing something like that...or even putting in a sunroof weakens the body of the VX....equals a no no

Tone
08/04/2003, 06:26 PM
Wrong - sunroof (done properly) can actually strengthen the roof as it forms a box in the opening and is tied to the structural members. Yes, the glass will bust out but the opening left is stronger than the plain sheet metal it replaced and strengthens the area.

Long roof would be difficult because of the ridges - I looked at adding a second roof and could not. At least not affordably.