PDA

View Full Version : New Dallas Police cars

handeeman
08/29/2009, 10:40 AM
My brother-in-law was telling me about this new Dallas police car. The back half is painted to look like a taxi. The idea being, you come up behind one while exceeding the speed limit and get suprised. Or your exceeding the speed limit and you don't think a thing about seeing a taxi on the side of the road. Looks like it would work well for aggressive drivers too. Not that any of our VX'rs would be dumbke enough to speed around. 1159

pbkid
08/29/2009, 11:33 AM
isnt that a little bit of entrapment??

i know there is no entrapment law in colorado, but anyone know about texas?? geshaw you will probably know :)

geshaw30
08/29/2009, 11:54 AM
No it's not entrapment but seems foolish. The lightbar will tend to slow observant speeders down regardless of the color scheme. Dallas PD had to have spent a small fortune on that custom paint job for each line car (if they in fact have painted them all that color).

No, a simple white paint job with a recessed light bar serves the purpose for traffic enforcement units.

tomdietrying
08/29/2009, 11:59 AM
I haven't seen those police cars yet. I'll keep my eyes open and check my speed when I see a taxi.
Peace.
Tom

MSHardeman
08/29/2009, 01:30 PM
I saw a completely stealth police car the other day here in Colorado. It didn't have a light bar, or push bar in the front, but it did have "Sheriff" in flat black letters on the side of a gloss black car. I only saw the lettering because the light hit the car just right. Pretty sneaky if you ask me.

PK
08/29/2009, 03:38 PM
Don't let it worry you guys.
If you are not breaking the law, they will leave you alone.:yeso::yesb::yesgray:

PK

VX crazy
08/29/2009, 08:08 PM
I saw on the news something about those 1/2 taxi looking cars, they used either old taxis or old police cars and they are meant to be parked to deter people from drinking and driving and remind them to get a taxi or go to jail! They are not used in patroling.

Dumke
08/29/2009, 08:29 PM
....VX'rs would be dumbke enough to speed around. 1159

First off I dont live in Dallas I get my tickets in Fort Worth.. :D

Second of all it wasnt me speeding excessively was my buddy reason whey I have to drive when we go through Colorado lol. :p

Sorry that was my mini thread jack but it was sorta on subject Moncha :winky:

Ya I think it is dumb for them to paint them like that but if them spending the money helps keep some people from speeding/drunk driving then I guess I am ok with that. But maybe the money would have been better spent going in to the schools, but that is my 2 cents.

Ya I almost got busted awhile back with an all black Dodge no light bar with the symbol on the side flat black only being seen in light. Pretty sneaky and lucky for me he just flashed lights to slow down.

handeeman
08/30/2009, 09:29 AM
I saw on the news something about those 1/2 taxi looking cars, they used either old taxis or old police cars and they are meant to be parked to deter people from drinking and driving and remind them to get a taxi or go to jail! They are not used in patroling.

That works for me. Pretty good idea huh?

Glad to hear from Dumbke too.

Moncha
08/30/2009, 10:18 AM
...Sorry that was my mini thread jack but it was sorta on subject Moncha :winky:...

Awwww, c'mon guys don't nit pick me, I said I don't mind a TJ here and there, just I hate when they change the route of the original post and I either have to clean it up, or I get complaints.. Even worse is when the TJs become a pissin' match.

Oh crap! See, even I'm guilty on TJn, If none of the three above happen, I don't care!

Gussie2000
08/31/2009, 08:10 AM
It's time for NYC mayor mike bloommer to get in touch with dallas & ask for some advice,here in NYC which host the worst drivers in the entire US this idea can work perfectly & help the city raise more revenue.
The amount of traffic tickets issued in just few hours will beat the book of guiness records..........guarantied or money back,no ???? Ask LOL

handeeman
08/31/2009, 08:57 AM
Gussie, It seems I was mistaken in how Dallas is using these cars. They are parking them outside bars etc. The people come out and see the taxi/cop car and are suppose to ask themselves which one they want to ride in. Call a taxi if their drunk or drive and get a ride in a cop car for DUI. However I do believe they would work on the road too.

geshaw30
08/31/2009, 01:53 PM
Gussie, It seems I was mistaken in how Dallas is using these cars. They are parking them outside bars etc. The people come out and see the taxi/cop car and are suppose to ask themselves which one they want to ride in. Call a taxi if their drunk or drive and get a ride in a cop car for DUI. However I do believe they would work on the road too.

Yup- seems they are nothing more than an ad campaign and a dose of preventive medicine. I saw the same photo strapped to the back of a Houston taxi last night.

LittleBeast
08/31/2009, 02:08 PM
There was actually one in front of me on 610 here in Houston just this last week, I didn't know what to think, so I just looked at the person driving, and I could tell that it was neither a cop car nor a cab just by the person driving.....

previper
08/31/2009, 08:06 PM
We have a new cop car here, it's undercover as well.... it's a new Z06.....

http://wake.mync.com/site/wake/news/story/38707/wake-co-sheriffs-office-adds-corvette-to-fleet/

Dumke
09/01/2009, 01:12 AM
Awwww, c'mon guys don't nit pick me, I said I don't mind a TJ here and there, just I hate when they change the route of the original post and I either have to clean it up, or I get complaints.. Even worse is when the TJs become a pissin' match.

Oh crap! See, even I'm guilty on TJn, If none of the three above happen, I don't care!

HAHA BUSTED... Sory had to give ya a hard time I will stop... For this post anyways :D

I just saw one in Fort Worth where I work. I was driving didnt have time to stop and take a pictured. Was right in front of starbucks lol.