PDA

View Full Version : Hell No! I'm not sellin'

Travelin2
08/29/2009, 08:54 AM
Its been 6 weeks since I put the VX on the block. I've had a few tire kickers but no one can get past the CarFax report that shows an accident even though I show them that I replaced every piece that was damaged, that being the Diff and the starboard cladding. What really hurt was every time I went out in the garage I could hear her whisper ("How could you?"). I got to feeling guilty and thought..what the hell... if Marlin can mod his rig like that, I can surely mod mine so it will tow behind our motorhome. I've got the disconnect installed on the driveline. (see pic) and just have to fab the bracket to hold the engagement mechanism. I have to order up some hubs...either Super Winch or Aisin...haven't decided. Then the front cladding has to come off so I can fab a quick disconnect for the tow bar that doesn't detract from the looks. Anyhow yer not gettin rid of me yet. Mostly I just couldn't stand the thought of not having lengthy discourses with Riff Raff about unsprung weight.:p

handeeman
08/29/2009, 09:57 AM
Well put. "Hell no I'm not sellin!" I for one am glad to hear it. I don't know about how to tow, so keep us posted. Glad to keep you in the family....

pbkid
08/29/2009, 10:06 AM
thats awesome!!! welcome back...

hey, just an idea, i dont know if its feasible.... but couldnt you get hubs for the front axle, then put the rear axle on a 'tow dolly' so you dont have to mess with the x-case positioning or disconnecting the driveline, or messing up your front cladding???

doesnt that save you a lot of time and work?

AK Falco
08/29/2009, 10:31 AM
Way to go john!

rowhard
08/29/2009, 11:10 AM
now that does make me happy:):grino:

Marlin
08/29/2009, 11:25 AM
thats awesome!!! welcome back...

hey, just an idea, i dont know if its feasible.... but couldnt you get hubs for the front axle, then put the rear axle on a 'tow dolly' so you dont have to mess with the x-case positioning or disconnecting the driveline, or messing up your front cladding???

doesnt that save you a lot of time and work?

I would have to agree with Jack. Does seem like it would be the best way to go. Plus you could use the dolly for any vehicle, vice being limited to just your VX. You never know what is gonna happen.

Travelin2
08/29/2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the welcome back...actually I never left, I became a lurker.

The tow dolly was suggested when we discussed this on an earlier thread. Its another thing to store and deal with at home and at an RV park and I wonder how the front tire wear would be after thousands of miles going backward since the camber, caster and toe in are set up for going forward. Any way if I don't like the driveline disconnect (it disconnects and reconnects by just pulling a button) then I can change my driveline back to stock for $150 at a local shop. I would like to find hubs with a bearing instead of a bushing to carry the axle stub. I was told they are available but I can't find one. Any one have the scoop?

Riff Raff
08/29/2009, 05:26 PM
Mostly I just couldn't stand the thought of not having lengthy discourses with Riff Raff about unsprung weight.:p

Hi John--- :mbrasd:Ah; schucks, you make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.:heart: When you first announced your VX for sale I was quite saddened. I even put the word out about your VX for sale to some perspective customers in the WA State area that might be interested. Glad to hear you've decided to not leave the family. Yes; I did notice you lurking in the shadows, as I frequently saw your "handle" in active mode here on the forum.

Here's another couple of ideas for you to consider. Do exactly what "KeithVXlvr" did, and just keep a "For Sale" sign posted in the side windows of your VX at all times. If it sells great; if not, then just keep driving it for as many "years" as it takes. If it never sells; so what, then it just never was to meant to be (but still keep the 4sale signs in the windows).

Don't waste all of the time, effort, and MONEY "converting" the VX to be able to be towed behind your motor home. Instead, just buy a super-lightweight $1,000 used cheapo (and I mean "cheapo") Ford Festiva, Hyundai, Kia, etc, that is front-wheel drive and can be easliy towed on a single axle tow dolly (with front drive axle on the tow dolly itself). This little runabout car will just be used as your "campsite beater". Keep your VX in its current prestine condition and parked safely at home during your vacation trips; plus the VX will maintain greater resale value in its current unmolested condition.

Whatever you decide, know that we all love 'ya and are truly glad you're still with us.:flower:

Marlin
08/29/2009, 06:13 PM
Keep your VX in its current prestine condition and parked safely at home during your vacation trips; plus the VX will maintain greater resale value in its current unmolested condition.

No way man, mod away, its kind of lonely out here all alone...you should go for an exoskeleton...LOL.

Travelin2
08/29/2009, 07:13 PM
The mods are underway Marlin. Today I started revamping a bracket made for a Ford Ranger diff. so it will fit the VX. Almost done, tomorrow I'll install the driveline and bracket and route the control cable up to the pilots seat. Then it's on to the hubs. The brackets up front under the cladding for the tow bar is probably going to be the trickiest but after seeing what you have pulled off I have no excuses. I want to take the VX when we travel so I can meet with some of the group in faraway places. We are heading to Calif. in Sept. then working our way all the way back to Florida. Then there is Moab next Spring and just recently I see Triathalete is working on sumpthin in Dec. I don't know if he wants old guys tho.;) So much to do. I'm ignoring Riff Raff, he just wants me to show up at Moab with a Geo Metro.

Riff Raff
08/29/2009, 07:38 PM
I'm ignoring Riff Raff, he just wants me to show up at Moab with a Geo Metro.

:_crying:You hurt my feelings.:_crying:

Hmmm; on second thought, a Geo Metro at MOAB hangin' tough with the rest of the VX's-- Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!:laughing: I can just see you yelling now-- "Get the hell outa' my way boys, I'm comin' through!!!":laughing:

Rock On!!!:thumbup:

pbkid
08/30/2009, 09:11 AM
Don't waste all of the time, effort, and MONEY "converting" the VX to be able to be towed behind your motor home. Instead, just buy a super-lightweight $1,000 used cheapo (and I mean "cheapo") Ford Festiva, Hyundai, Kia, etc, that is front-wheel drive and can be easliy towed on a single axle tow dolly (with front drive axle on the tow dolly itself). This little runabout car will just be used as your "campsite beater". Keep your VX in its current prestine condition and parked safely at home during your vacation trips; plus the VX will maintain greater resale value in its current unmolested condition.

x2

No way man, mod away, its kind of lonely out here all alone...you should go for an exoskeleton...LOL.
im workin the in the same direction as you buddy... i just need some $$$$

Travelin2
08/30/2009, 09:28 AM
pbkid; Strange you should bring up Marlins mention of an exoskeleton. I was researching for the ideal design and the resemblence to this critter is fitting for the VX.
http://www.extremescience.com/StrongestCreature.htm