PDA

View Full Version : 100 Octane Gas

nfpgasmask
08/24/2009, 09:11 AM
Anyone ever fill up their VX with 100 octane gas?

Just curious because there is a station here that sells racing fuel (100 octane at $7.65 per gallon :eek: ) and I was just thinking it would be an interesting experiment with the VX. I personally notice a difference in "pick-up" when I use premium over regular, so it just got me thinking, what would 100 octane do?

Bart

tom4bren
08/24/2009, 09:58 AM
Doesn't it run hotter & risk burning a valve or ring?

tom4bren
08/24/2009, 10:05 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

OK, looks like I was wrong ... but without the higher compression to take advantage of the higher octane rating, there are no benefits.

nfpgasmask
08/24/2009, 10:05 AM
Well, that's kinda what I was wondering, like, would it do any harm or not...

This was really nothing more than a curiosity, I thought maybe some of the S/Ced VXers out there have maybe tried the high octane stuff.

Bart

Triathlete
08/24/2009, 10:16 AM
(100 octane at $7.65 per gallon :eek: ) Bart

For a whole lot less you can drop a bottle of 104+ octane boost in ypur regular unleaded.:yesy:

nfpgasmask
08/24/2009, 10:21 AM
Yeah, like I said, this was nothing more than a curiosity. I've always heard people say that premium shouldn't make a difference in out VXes but...

Bart

pbkid
08/24/2009, 11:22 AM
bart i use premium in my VX always...

the way i figure it, for the extra 2 or 3 dollars a tank, i get better mileage (i have measured it), i get better perceived performance... and it cant be bad for the motor

Doomer
08/24/2009, 12:12 PM
I don't know exactly what gas you were looking at, but I have been involved in motorcycle racing for years. Bikes have very hi compression engines by comparison, usually 11-13:1. I know most racers, the first thing after a race drain the race gas out of their tanks & system, then fill it with pump gas. I don't know how true it is, but I've always heard race gas is VERY corrosive to the fuel system. Just my observation and 2 cents.:bgwo:

tom4bren
08/24/2009, 12:16 PM
It is very likely to be corrosive. Just open that link to wikipedia & see the stuff they add to boost the octane rating.

The only thing worse would be to add acetone - sorry wrong thread.:)

Gussie2000
08/24/2009, 12:22 PM

the way i figure it, for the extra 2 or 3 dollars a tank, i get better mileage (i have measured it), i get better perceived performance... and it cant be bad for the motor

You absolutely right !
I also use premium in my horse + drop twice a month a fuel booster in the tank & all i can say is way better,better acceleration,better MPG,better performance & helps maintain your fuel lines much more cleaner.

In regards of the 100 octane fuel i'll 1rst try with 1/2 tank,hit the highway with the tach ready to provide me results after the run

JHarris1385
08/24/2009, 12:37 PM
not worth the expense.

circmand
08/24/2009, 01:41 PM

Just curious because there is a station here that sells racing fuel (100 octane at $7.65 per gallon :eek: ) and I was just thinking it would be an interesting experiment with the VX. I personally notice a difference in "pick-up" when I use premium over regular, so it just got me thinking, what would 100 octane do?

Bart

That does real racing fuel 110 octane at $6.99. I do not use in the VX but do use it in the Jensen as it still has the lead.

tjh
08/24/2009, 03:53 PM
Bikes have very hi compression engines by comparison, usually 11-13:1.

My car has 12:1 compression, yet there is no performance gain from gas above 93 octane . The ecu is not programed too adjust to anything higher . I have yet to get any engine knock from 93 octane .

The VX always gets 87 octane . Now if it was super charged I would definitely try higher octane gas.

VCrossfan
08/24/2009, 06:32 PM
For a whole lot less you can drop a bottle of 104+ octane boost in ypur regular unleaded.:yesy:

A bottle of the 104 Octane mixed with a full tank of 89 octane fuel might give you 89.1 octane. Don't waste your money. I tried it in my Hot Rod days and it's worthless. I ended up using Cam2 (110 octane) and Turbo Blue (105 octane and cheaper then Cam2) back in the late 80's early 90's 2 stations in town had them in the ground during the summer months. But during my longer road trips to shows I ran a mixture of Premium unleaded and Regular Leaded (yes when it was still around) and it wasn't bad. I wasn't going to waste Cam2/Turbo Blue on the interstate. But I know the higher octane (above 100) brought my Blown Big Block to life and it ran 10 to 15 degree's cooler...

Gasmask...Try about 2 or 3 gallons of it per tank full. I bet you'll you'll notice a difference

Riff Raff
08/24/2009, 06:51 PM

x3.:yes:

VXorado
08/25/2009, 12:05 AM
x4, I try to use V-power but thats because I get tricked by the flashy advertising at Shell

crotchrocket
08/25/2009, 12:57 AM

Bart

Just so you know thats less than a gallon of regular (95) unleaded here :( !!

Riff Raff
08/25/2009, 01:07 AM
Just so you know thats less than a gallon of regular (95) unleaded here :( !!

Hmmm, tuition is expensive these days at the University of Kentucky (UK).:laughing:

crotchrocket
08/25/2009, 01:14 AM
Exactly how long is this gag lasting for ?????? whatever floats your boat i 'spose !! :rollb:

Riff Raff
08/25/2009, 01:17 AM
Exactly how long is this gag lasting for ?????? whatever floats your boat i 'spose !! :rollb:

Just showin' my love to ya' Crotchrocket. Keep Rockin':bgwb:

Gussie2000
08/25/2009, 06:37 AM
not worth the expense.

All depens though.
For instans here in NYC the regular fuel is 2.79 & premium is 2.99 which is only 20 cents more.
If you do the maths is only $ 4,50 extra for the premium.

When i used the regular fuel i was getting 'bout 16 MPG but with premium my horse is recording 22 MPG (highway) which is 6 more miles.
Of course traffic conditions & drivings manners apply

WormGod
08/25/2009, 07:16 AM
I ran about 2 gal cam 2 a few years back with about 3 gallons of existing tank (93oct). It's rated 114oct IIRC. This was the summer after I installed the S/C and I anticipated running it 1/4mile at a track north of here. Figures, I dump the fuel in when I am in the pits and then the skies open up for the rest of the day, closing the track.

Morale of the story - it wasn't meant to be and a greater power was warning me. ;)

I did run out the rest of the fuel, mostly on my ride home and revs were higher w/ snappier throttle response. That's about it really. Considering I wasn't on the track and it was raining, I didn't really get into it. But nothing beats the smell of burned off Cam. Just glad no po-po smelled it. ;)

nfpgasmask
08/25/2009, 09:03 AM
Interesting. Thanks, guys.

Bart

tom4bren
08/25/2009, 09:06 AM
Did you really think that we could answer a simple question like "is high octane mo betta" in less than 22 posts?

Silly boy.

pbkid
08/25/2009, 09:31 AM
i get tricked by their damn flashy advertising too... every time i fill up there, im like 'oohhh v-power!' then i think about how stupid i am for falling for it....

although, it does seem to run nice on their fuel... shell is definately my favorite gas

x4, I try to use V-power but thats because I get tricked by the flashy advertising at Shell

Y33TREKker
08/25/2009, 09:55 AM
Be advised that Turbo Blue types of high octane fuel may end up costing you more than just the additional price-per-gallon at the pump. Those fuels are designed to be run in (for the most part) open exhaust systems.

When the chemicals that are added to provide the higher octane ratings start to come into contact with the chemical compositions in stock catalytic converters, bad things start to happen (namely, turning you cat into a rattle can type party favor full of all the chunks of material that "used" to make up the original single piece of catalyst).

So unless you had been wanting to spend some $$$ to replace the stock cats with some high-performance replacements anyway, you might want to think twice before running that 100+ octane stuff.

circmand
08/25/2009, 10:29 AM
Be advised that Turbo Blue types of high octane fuel may end up costing you more than just the additional price-per-gallon at the pump. Those fuels are designed to be run in (for the most part) open exhaust systems.

When the chemicals that are added to provide the higher octane ratings start to come into contact with the chemical compositions in stock catalytic converters, bad things start to happen (namely, turning you cat into a rattle can type party favor full of all the chunks of material that "used" to make up the original single piece of catalyst).

So unless you had been wanting to spend some $$$ to replace the stock cats with some high-performance replacements anyway, you might want to think twice before running that 100+ octane stuff.

got no fuel injection, got no ECU just got 2 carbs and a Lotus motor it was designed for lead in the gas and power