PDA

View Full Version : A little advice before I buy new coils

VXorado
08/20/2009, 10:27 PM
First off, I know about all of the different options for lifts and I'm almost ready to order my new setup. The PO installed a 2" spacer and used the original coils to lift the VX. I'm now running 33" tires and want to replace the worn stock coils and get more lift to stop tire rubbing. I would like to get the OME 912s from independent4x and crank up the torsion bar accordingly.

HERES THE QUESTION, I have a 2" spacer in the place of the stock coil stop thingy. Should I leave the 2" spacer in there with the new coils or is that too much lift for 33" tires and cranking the torsion bar? OR should I get a 1" spacer instead (extra $90) or should I not use a spacer and find a stock coil stop thingy? I know there may not be a exact answer but I would like to do this once if possible the best way and need advice. Also I offroad alot.

Thanks for the help in advance you smart VX owners :bwgy:

Ldub
08/20/2009, 10:38 PM
I'm using 919's & a one inch spacer, but I typically carry 150-200 lb of extra crap around...:rolleyesg
Tools, scuba tank for trail air, full size spare, spare parts, etc...it all adds up.
IMO, 912's with a 1" spacer would be about right for 33's, unless you carry a similar load, then I'd leave the 2" spacer in, or go with 919's & a 1" spacer.
If you do decide to use a 1" spacer, I would be interested in buying the 2"'ers from you...:yes:

tom4bren
08/21/2009, 04:59 AM
Ya may want to read this thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13603&highlight=coil+spacers

& this one:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15476&highlight=coil+spacers

Also use the search function on "Diff drop". If you are going to lift, your CV's won't like you anymore. There are pix in my gallery after the diff drop (pages 3 & 4).

ZEUS
08/21/2009, 08:26 AM
Not too much to say about the coil spacers - personal choice for you to make. I just thought I would point out the need for rear bump stop spacers, or new bump stops, or both, when running larger tires. ...Since you mentioned tire rub. You should be fine (with your current offset) using what has seemingly become the standard rear bump stop mod. I have 32.3" tires, 0 offset, 8.5 wide wheels, and as you can see in my avatar I am able to achieve good "stuff" into the rear wheelwells without rubbing at all. I think just about all the lifted VX's are using the same method I did nowadays. Happy lifting!!

VXorado
08/21/2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I was about to put in the order for new coils and started questioning my decision making skills. Seems like I should be fine without the spacer and could add later if necessary. Ldub, I will keep you updated on those 2" spacers once I get everything ordered but you have first dibs. AND good point Zeus, I will order new bump stops with everything else.

Tom4bren, that second link was very helpful (don't know how I missed it). Also the diff drop is the future plan for the VX. I called a 4wheeling shop about fabricating the drop diff brackets. The shop is about an hr away and the guy I spoke to didn't even know what a vehicross was... made me a little uneasy.

I'm under the impression this isn't a DIY project for the weekend. Any idea how much it would cost for a shop to do the full diff drop? Also, don't you also need to drop the transfer case so everything lines up or are the extended bracket all you need?

Ldub
08/22/2009, 02:59 AM
Ldub, I will keep you updated on those 2" spacers once I get everything ordered but you have first dibs.

I appreciate that...:thanx:

Ldub
08/22/2009, 03:06 AM
I think just about all the lifted VX's are using the same method I did nowadays. Happy lifting!!

I'll have to admit to being a bit skepticable when you first came up with the uber bump stop mod...:_thinking

But after the first time Mr. big rubber made contact with Mr. cladding, I was an instant convert...:slap:...:_wrench:...:smack:...:yes:

Around these here parts, you ARE the "Godfather of the big Bump"!...as well as LOTCR...:thumbup:

VXorado
08/22/2009, 04:05 PM
:grinb: BTW, Moncha put up a great lifting wiki write up in the how-to section about a month ago. I stumbled across it in my search for more info on diff drop brackets. Thought I would let everyone know because its very helpful and only has 40 views. THANKS MONCHA

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=66

ZEUS
08/24/2009, 07:56 AM
:grinb: BTW, Moncha put up a great lifting wiki write up in the how-to section about a month ago. I stumbled across it in my search for more info on diff drop brackets. Thought I would let everyone know because its very helpful and only has 40 views. THANKS MONCHA

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=66 Yeah, that was a much needed wiki thread Richie started - he did a great job with it. Moncha handily copied the first post which Richie updated based off other people's additions and findings. The original thread probly has over 1000 views; and you're right, it is VERY helpful! Thanks, Rich!

Moncha
08/24/2009, 08:12 AM
Yep, I only put in the appropriate areas so I know the info won't be deleted or buried over time.

It's you, the members that come up with the info that is needed and wanted. Please by all means, if you (Anyone) ever has something of value like the wiki, let me know or you can post it yourself!

Thanks to all who generate the info and those that use it!