PDA

View Full Version : Windshield washer tube falling off

MSHardeman
08/20/2009, 04:02 PM
Does this happen to anybody else?
It's pretty much a guarantee that the tube for the windshield washers, where it connects to the washer fluid reservoir, will come off at least once a year. At that point whatever fluid is in the reservoir comes gushing out onto the ground. The first time this happened I thought that I had blown a radiator hose or something.
I just HATE it when the tube falls off of the nipple because it's a bee-atch to get it back on.:rolleyes:

Riff Raff
08/20/2009, 04:18 PM
Try a small piece of "bailing wire" and wire-tie-twist the tube onto the nipple to prevent it from coming off.:yeso:

circmand
08/20/2009, 04:47 PM
Try a small piece of "bailing wire" and wire-tie-twist the tube onto the nipple to prevent it from coming off.:yeso:

which is what is made for this

MSHardeman
08/20/2009, 06:13 PM
The tube is almost impossible to get to just to put it back in place, so getting in there with a clamp or twist-tie is going to be really difficult. Even with the reservoir out of the VX I don't think that the tube is long enough to pull it to a more spacious area to do the clamp.
Guess I'll have to get inventive, or grow a second elbow so I can get my arm contorted in there.

Ldub
08/20/2009, 08:58 PM
Get thee to the nearest purveyor of all that is hardware, & ask to be taken to their bountiful selection of clear vinyl tubing of the correct inner diameter...:yes:
Buy 4-6 ft. (it's usually less than a buck a foot), remove the reservoir, & replace it all with new, all the way to the squirters, or just to the "Y" fitting, if you're in a hurry...:smilewink (Bring a sample in with you)
Taping the end of the new tubing, to the end of the old tubing, then pulling it through, may work for getting it through the tighter areas easily.
Leave enough extra at the tank end, to make attachment easy, & coil the excess length up underneath, or between the tank & fender, when reinstalling.
Careful with the hose clamp, so you don't crush your nipple...:smilewink

PK
08/20/2009, 10:20 PM
Careful with the hose clamp, so you don't crush your nipple...:smilewink

Ouch!!!
That would hurt, and mine are very sensitive.:winkgray::winko::winkb:

PK

Ldub
08/21/2009, 01:10 AM
Ouch!!!
That would hurt, and mine are very sensitive.:winkgray::winko::winkb:

PK

In that case, stay away from hose clamps...:smilewink

Or better yet, ANY type of clamps should be given a wide berth...:eek:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/0000000_1clamps.gif

tom4bren
08/21/2009, 04:27 AM
MSHardeman,

In answer to your first question. Yup ... it's happened to me (twice) & Yup ... it's a real beeeotch to get back on. I don't know what I did different the second time but it seems to be holding now (prolly just jinxed myself).

One alternative to Ldub's approach is to disconnect it at the Y and pull a cupla inches of tubing back towards the reservoir to give you some slack to work with. When done, just pull the slack back to the Y and connect.

If your nipple is too sensitive to the hose clamp thang, try a zip tie. You should be able to pull it tight enough for a firm grip without causing damage.

Tom

circmand
08/21/2009, 07:45 AM
if putting it on and blowing drying would shrink the hose enough to hold on. Its probably just stretched out

tom4bren
08/21/2009, 07:52 AM
circmand, are you responding to MSHardeman or to PK?:)

MSHardeman
08/21/2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys and thanks for looking out for my nipple. I may take dub's advice and just replace the whole mess of tubing because it does look discolored and is probably brittle in some places.
I guess after nine years of heat and weather your tube will get worn out and will need replacing.:eek: I'll make darn sure not to crush my nipple during the install. (this is really just going down hill FAST :biggringr)

Ldub
08/21/2009, 09:16 AM
I guess after nine years of heat and weather your tube will get worn out and will need replacing.:eek: I'll make darn sure not to crush my nipple during the install. (this is really just going down hill FAST :biggringr)

LOL...That's how we roll...:cool:

VX crazy
08/21/2009, 09:19 AM
LOL yeah Mark your hose is worn out and overstretched! Might need a bigger nipple!

Ldub
08/21/2009, 09:23 AM
LOL yeah Mark your hose is worn out and overstretched! Might need a bigger nipple!

:laughing:....:laughing:....:slap:....:laughing:.. ...:laughing:

circmand
08/21/2009, 09:25 AM
circmand, are you responding to MSHardeman or to PK?:)

I do not threadjack unless I want to.

Scott Harness
08/21/2009, 09:26 AM
OUCH! That happened to me about a month ago,been waiting for cooler weather to get under the hood.:supercool

tom4bren
08/21/2009, 09:35 AM
I do not threadjack unless I want to.

Whew. I was hoping that you weren't recommending putting a hair dryer down there.

circmand
08/21/2009, 09:46 AM
Whew. I was hoping that you weren't recommending putting a hair dryer down there.

But you want to on blow not heat

VX crazy
08/21/2009, 09:50 AM
I would think heat might help shrink it, like shrinky dink!:yesgray:

tom4bren
08/21/2009, 10:30 AM
"I would think heat might help shrink it, like shrinky dink!"

it's the cold that does that to us Darlin.

SilverBullet75
08/21/2009, 11:02 AM
I had this happen to mine a few months ago... not the shrinky dink, but the fluid tank leak. :p

To me it was an easy fix...
I just unbolted the reservoir (2-3 bolts).
Pulled it up and out.
Pulled some hose slack out from the hold-downs.
CUT the hose, about 2 inches from the end (refreshing the inner diameter to nipple connection).
Re-attached the hose and remounted the tank.
DONE!
No more problem.

:smilewink
Good to go! ---JIM---

tom4bren
08/21/2009, 12:06 PM
CUT ... about 2 inches from the end ... Good to go!

So ... Size doesn't matter???

MSHardeman
08/21/2009, 06:32 PM
Apparently length isn't what's important......just inside tube diameter versus nipple size....

VX crazy
08/21/2009, 07:44 PM
Apparently length isn't what's important......just inside tube diameter versus nipple size....

Your learning! But hey I thought heat would shrink plastic boy was I wrong!

Ldub
08/22/2009, 05:33 AM
But hey, I thought heat would shrink plastic boy

LoL...:laughing:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/seinfeld_shrinkage.jpg

MSHardeman
08/22/2009, 02:07 PM
Your learning! But hey I thought heat would shrink plastic boy was I wrong!

Personal experience?:rollo: Heat usually makes plastic all soft and squishy.:biggringr

VX crazy
08/22/2009, 07:29 PM
Personal experience?:rollo: Heat usually makes plastic all soft and squishy.:biggringr

Thank goodness your not in Texas! ROFL