PDA

View Full Version : If you could back up the odometer 50K for 3 Grand...

BoarderCROSS2000
08/19/2009, 08:01 AM
Worth it? I'm circling in on my VX purchase and I think its boiling down to two nearly identical Ebony 2001's bone stock.

Both are immaculate, no mods with good histories... one has 56k and the other 106K. And, of course, there is about a 3 grand difference. The lower mileage VX is somewhat local and I'm going there today to check it out. The other is a 2 hr flight away.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

PSUDOM3

Moncha
08/19/2009, 08:06 AM
Depends on the care taken within those miles. I've seen cars with 25k on them look and run like they've got millions... Go with your gut and what you see. Ask for records and the gamut.

Good luck!

tom4bren
08/19/2009, 08:08 AM
I'd prolly go for the lower mileage one. There's a lot of scheduled maintenance due at 90K. If you're sure it was done on the higher mileage one & everything else is the same ... maybe go for it just for the savings.

circmand
08/19/2009, 11:12 AM
Try to talk the guy down by mentioning the cheaper one. I would say "I have another I am going to look at, it has more miles but at $3000 it may be worth it. Unless you might be willing to take a grand or two lees.

LittleBeast
08/19/2009, 11:21 AM
Worth it? I'm circling in on my VX purchase and I think its boiling down to two nearly identical Ebony 2001's bone stock.

Both are immaculate, no mods with good histories... one has 56k and the other 106K. And, of course, there is about a 3 grand difference. The lower mileage VX is somewhat local and I'm going there today to check it out. The other is a 2 hr flight away.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

PSUDOM3

I would go for the one with the lower mileage. I think the $3k difference is worth it.

Scott Harness
08/19/2009, 12:29 PM
I would go for the one with the lower mileage. I think the $3k difference is worth it.

Same here! unless lower mileage is trashed out.:yesgray:

KeithVXlvr
Buy a Jeep and save a lot of $$.:p

ZEUS
Just go for mine! :) Isn't the 106k VX in Phillie and the other one close? By the time you get the Phillie VX home you would be out another grand if everything went ok. I would go for the 56k VX... as a 2nd choice... 1st choice is still my VX! :p

Anita
If the lower mileage VX is from a private party, ask him about what kind of maintenance it has had - ask if you can see receipts of maintenance. Also check out what aftermarket parts are under the hood (PCV especially). You want to try be sure you dont get an oil eater. I'd go with the lower mileage one if all things check out.

Also, are you buying from an original owner or has the vehicle had several owners?

blacksambo
08/19/2009, 12:34 PM
comes down to in-use service type. If they have been off-roaded or not? The key question. Can you get a definitive answer. Even Isuzu spec'd service sooner and more fequently for off -road use.

BoarderCROSS2000
08/19/2009, 11:04 PM
I'm still buzzing after my first great VX encounter today.

The low mileage ebony got a thorough test drive today and me LIKEY:yeso:

Trying not to get too attached/emotional yet. Its a wholesale/retail dealer that does mostly high end stuff. This VX is spent its life 2 owners in AZ. Yessss!

Its immaculate save a few scratches on the cladding, one little bitty ding on the door pillar. The interior is bee YOO tiful! Leather and carpets look as new. Its been well cared for... its obvious. Windows speed up and down in the doors like a guillotine!!! No problemo! No dummy lights or check TOD light. Brakes straight as an arrow, no diving or excessive sway. StiFF ride... Nice.

However... couple of concerns -

Headlight seal on drivers side has a gap, might just need to come off and be reapplied but I understand these things aren't available anymore. Lenses are clear save a few scratches.

1 knob for spare tire cover is missing.

NO RACK POSTS/BARS... aarghh!

They've surmised that it needs a new power steering pump(leaks) and have agreed to replace, although I'm thinking its prolly just the hose.

They've also agreed to replace the CV/axle assembly on both sides. Its obvious the boots are SHOT.

Has a warbly rear speaker and they've agreed to fix that as well.

I'm not too concerned about these mechanicals. Its clear this things never seen any dirt rocks mud etc. Has the original 18's and street nitto's. My deal so far is that they'll take it to the local ISUZU dealer and I'll pony up for an inspection. I've agreed to hit their price as long as they fix EVERYTHING that's found wrong... only down side is that they want to do the work themselves.

I also have the option to save a grand or so by doing the work on my own dime... So I'm pretty sure that's my plan. Hope the Isuzu dealer finds low pads and rotors so I can jack em down a bit more. We'll see. I should know more tomorrow. Had fun, am exhausted as it was 5 hrs up and back today.

EBONY's RULE!:_steering

Jeff

Marlin
08/20/2009, 06:15 AM
I dunno about all that, boots shredded? With no lift? Weird. I would go with the 106K and take the 3K and save it for a rainy day, or upgrades. I skim through the posts on the forum and see that most of the common problems are more time created, vice mileage. Those with 50K miles have the same common problems as those with 100K miles.
Just my 2 cents, of course, mine has 120K miles, so I am biased:)

taylorRichie
08/20/2009, 07:29 AM
I bought mine with 47K. Was well maintained and doesn't burn oil.

I put on a lift, Went through 3 sets of boots in about 1,000 miles... My latest set I've had for 2,000 miles with no signs of wear.

It's really going to come down to the individual vehicle. If 106K isn't an oil burner, and the 50K is... I'd go 106...

WormGod
08/20/2009, 08:22 AM
Dunno. If I could back my ODO up 50k miles, mine would be.... unborn? I would have negative miles. :bgwb: SWEET!

I am picky and "prefer" to only buy new, so I guess I would opt for the low mile one. Over 100k miles just makes me cringe, even if it was taken care of extremely well. Just preference though. It's your money, your decision. :smilegray

http://www.jonco48.com/blog/CHOICES_2B2.jpg

johnnyapollo
08/20/2009, 09:05 AM
I consider my VX well maintained and both outer CV boots tore out and slung grease across the wheel wells at about 125k miles so I'm not sure I'd gainsay that part. The boot kit from Independent4x4 was about $130 with shipping and wasn't that difficult to replace all 4, if messy and time consuming once I got off a stubborn lower-control arm nut. I like what people were saying above - go with your gut. It's my opinion that these motors get broken in at about 100k.

-- John

JoFotoz
08/20/2009, 01:34 PM
Yup..lower mileage one if its been cared for.

$3000 difference is about right......( though the torn CV's is a tad strange given no lift)

PLUS...no flight / travel costs...

....and you'll recoup some of that $3000 if/when you sell due to ongoing lower mileage/year average.

BTW...whats the asking price?

jo