PDA

View Full Version : Tranny ?

JGeorge264
08/15/2009, 09:46 PM
:( 170353 K - had him in the tranny shop on friday and they said start planning the funeral. $2500 to rebuild... so I'm looking into a used tranny but need to make sure I am looking for the right one. I've searched the threads til my eyes bugged out and I think I know what I need but want to verify with all you VX Guru's before I throw any $ out.
I know it's a 4L30E that was commonly used in lot of different vehicles. Is there anything specific I need to ask or verify prior to purchase to ensure that it is a direct match? Will any 98 - 99 Trooper II with TOD, TOD Rodeo, TOD Axiom or Acura SLX 98 -99 work with no extra jerryrigging?
For now I'm driving it til it dies - or until I have one ready to go in - which ever comes first. (Really hoping it's option #2)

VX KAT
08/15/2009, 11:12 PM
Don't know if this helps, or if you already checked it out, but there's 4 listed on ebay right now....

As a side note, I find it odd that all 4 are in Phoenix, AZ :_thinking :confused: (good to know I guess since it's only about 100 miles from me)
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=isuzu+transmission+vehicross&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Mark B
08/16/2009, 06:27 AM
I had a used trany put into my 1999 Amigo.
Used trany had 45,000 miles and is running great after 9 months.
Paid $ 2,250.00
Good luck

circmand
08/16/2009, 09:49 AM
How about this one? May not be the right size but definately cheaper

handeeman
08/16/2009, 10:14 AM
How about this one? May not be the right size but definately cheaperhttp://www.vehicross.info/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1148&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1250441389 (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1148&d=1250441389)

"I'm not a Doctor, but I played one as a kid" and I think those are men !

circmand
08/16/2009, 02:21 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1148&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1250441389 (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1148&d=1250441389)

"I'm not a Doctor, but I played one as a kid" and I think those are men !

They are transvestites

Trannys Get It?

Triathlete
08/16/2009, 05:04 PM
VXKat...those are great prices. I am glad to see that in our area since mine has been throwing a "slippage" code for a few years now. When the time comes that is WAY cheaper than what most have been quoted for a rebuild and labor...I will learn and do it myself when the time comes!

JGeorge264
08/16/2009, 08:26 PM
I'm hoping to source a replacement locally. My hubby works in an auto body shop so his parts guy is checking for me. Last I heard he had a 99 Trooper II with approx. 30,000 for $450 that he was looking into. I'm torn between going with a rebuild or used since I also have a high mileage oil burning motor in there. I don't know how much money I want (or can afford) to keep throwing into it. < big sigh > but I love my car so I guess it doesn't matter if it becomes a money pit.

p.s. you can keep your trannys Circ.. I don't want to have to share my clothes and shoes. (mainly cuzz he'd probably look better in them and that would be embarrassing)

PK
08/16/2009, 10:27 PM
I'm hoping to source a replacement locally. My hubby works in an auto body shop so his parts guy is checking for me. Last I heard he had a 99 Trooper II with approx. 30,000 for $450 that he was looking into. I'm torn between going with a rebuild or used since I also have a high mileage oil burning motor in there. I don't know how much money I want (or can afford) to keep throwing into it. < big sigh > but I love my car so I guess it doesn't matter if it becomes a money pit.

p.s. you can keep your trannys Circ.. I don't want to have to share my clothes and shoes. (mainly cuzz he'd probably look better in them and that would be embarrassing)

Hi, sorry you are having these problems.

But - broken tranny and oil burning motor and hubby in the auto trade, makes you the perfect candidate for the first ever 5 speed manual transplant.
Find a manual Isuzu doner vehicle and buy the tranny, motor, and computers all in one go.

Perfect.

Just do it. :yesgray::yesy::yeso:

PK

circmand
08/16/2009, 10:47 PM

Have you tried getting this issue fixed. I beleive most of the problems have been figured out and fixes are available.

I am not worry about the Trannys I have bigger albeit hairier breasts

JGeorge264
08/19/2009, 09:27 AM
"broken tranny and oil burning motor and hubby in the auto trade, makes you the perfect candidate for the first ever 5 speed manual transplant.
Find a manual Isuzu doner vehicle and buy the tranny, motor, and computers all in one go."

PK PK PK :thumbdn::thumbdn::thumbdn:
:freek: :laughing: Hubby in auto trade does not mean hubby will voluntarily EVER do any maintenance however minor it may be on my VX without lots and lots of begging and .. well anyway,, there's not a chance in hell (can I say that here?) of his installing a new transmission no less swapping out a motor.. Plus,,, a 5 speed manual? Ughhhh no way! I spend 2 to 3 hours of my day commuting a measly 25 miles to work. A clutch and shifter is not my idear of fun on the freeway parking lots.

I asked my checkbook what it thought of the "buy a donor" idea... all I heard was choking and laughter? Guess that meant no too. :bgwo:

PK
08/19/2009, 07:10 PM
PK PK PK :thumbdn::thumbdn::thumbdn:
:freek: :laughing: Hubby in auto trade does not mean hubby will voluntarily EVER do any maintenance however minor it may be on my VX without lots and lots of begging and .. well anyway,, there's not a chance in hell (can I say that here?) of his installing a new transmission no less swapping out a motor.. Plus,,, a 5 speed manual? Ughhhh no way! I spend 2 to 3 hours of my day commuting a measly 25 miles to work. A clutch and shifter is not my idear of fun on the freeway parking lots.

I asked my checkbook what it thought of the "buy a donor" idea... all I heard was choking and laughter? Guess that meant no too. :bgwo:

LOL - ok ok ok - I give.

We all do what we have to do.
The VX is the first ever auto I have owned.
Driven plenty of autos and hated them, and it just does not seem natural driving an auto off road.
That said, I will own my VX for ever, and if it does need a new tranny or engine, it will get a 5 speed manual swap.
I was just hoping some one else would do it first.:bgwo::bgwb:

Off course, here in downtown Hobart, it takes me 12 minutes to drive the 16km (10miles) to work.
That is, unless I do it in peak hour.
Then it takes 15 minutes.

PK

VXorado
08/20/2009, 04:12 PM
LOL - ok ok ok - I give.

We all do what we have to do.
The VX is the first ever auto I have owned.
Driven plenty of autos and hated them, and it just does not seem natural driving an auto off road.
That said, I will own my VX for ever, and if it does need a new tranny or engine, it will get a 5 speed manual swap.
I was just hoping some one else would do it first.:bgwo::bgwb:

Off course, here in downtown Hobart, it takes me 12 minutes to drive the 16km (10miles) to work.
That is, unless I do it in peak hour.
Then it takes 15 minutes.

PK

I also wish the VX came in manual BUT autos do have their benefits offroad. Most people prefer autos offroad because its much easier not dealing with a clutch on really difficult trails and because the torque converter in autos will end up yielding much more power when starting from a stop.

I know you were just saying that you prefer the feel of a manual offroad, but I just had to throw in my two cents. :bgwb:

tom4bren
08/21/2009, 04:41 AM
"it takes me 12 minutes to drive the 16km"

:slap:

It takes me 1-3 hours for my 45 mile commute (each way). I'm stickin wit da auto.

JGeorge264
08/22/2009, 09:58 PM
I got an idea! PK can buy mine and then he can be the first to do the switch!

It's looking like "ole stubby" is goin up for sale or will be parted out. He's getting old and worn and I have to have reliable transport to get to work. As much as I love him I think the time has come to move on. If I had the money to buy something else and rebuild I would ... but they sold me worthless powerball tickets the other day so ain't gonna happen right now.
:(

Ldub
08/22/2009, 10:47 PM
... but they sold me worthless powerball tickets the other day so ain't gonna happen right now.

Those BASTARDS...:upsetgray

Sorry to hear the bad news...:sadgray:

PK
08/23/2009, 04:41 AM
I got an idea! PK can buy mine and then he can be the first to do the switch!

I will buy it, but you have to pay the shipping.:yeso::yesb::yesgray:

PK

JGeorge264
08/23/2009, 02:23 PM
PK.. I have a plan... my daughter lives in Sydney and she's coming home for a couple of weeks in September. I will sneak the vx into her luggage when she leaves to go back. (think customs will notice?) She will be going to Tasmania at Christmas to her boyfriends family Inn.. she could once again sneak it in her luggage to deliver to you. Of course we may have to do this one piece at a time each time she visits but I'd say in the next 20 years or so we could get most of it down to you. :dance:

LDub: I took those worthless powerball tickets back to the store, told them I wanted to return them because they didn't work...they kicked me out of the store! Sheesh,, they really have a crappy return policy!

Ldub
08/23/2009, 02:41 PM
LDub: I took those worthless powerball tickets back to the store, told them I wanted to return them because they didn't work...they kicked me out of the store! Sheesh,, they really have a crappy return policy!

Not to mention attitude...:smilewink

I hope you were able to tell em'...
I been kicked outta better places than this!...on your way out-da-door...:laughing: