PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust system... newbie questions

BoarderCROSS2000
08/14/2009, 11:45 AM
Howdy All,

I'm looking at a VX (107K)in PA that might be a good candidate for me. The dealer has an interesting policy of full disclosure of their 120 pnt inspection. They state that not all repairs are done but disclosed all the same.

The notes they shared included a brake job, some battery acid spillage that needs cleaning, an alignment and most troubling: exhaust system needs replacing. I'm still trying to get them to clarify from what point in the system it needs replacement... notes describe the exhaust manifold but that seems unlikely. They also described rust as the cause of the damage. So I guess my question is "what is involved in replacing the pipes/cat if the manifold is fine?"

I'd think I would be nuts to buy a vx that needs a new exhaust manifold. Can't be a simple bolt on like the rest of the exhaust system. I'm not concerned about the muffler as much as I am the pipes from the manifold as well as the CAT. Are OEM CATs recommended/available? Can the pipes be fabricated by any good muffler shop?

Lastly, any thoughts on that kind of rust? I don't have the car fax so I'm not sure where the VX lived its life but will do so at some point and will make sure I get an assessment of any other rust. If things check out for me, are there any VXr's in the area of Harrisburg, PA?

Thanks

PSUDOM3

circmand
08/14/2009, 02:06 PM
has to be at least 8-9 years old and given PA winters and road salt rust is a factor. The exhaust system should be no trouble just do not expect OEM it is too pricey and Too hard too get. OEM Cat will take 8-9 months but a good muffler shop (and I do not mean Midas) can fab it for you haaave them check it out and give an estimate. As far as buying it needing work depends on the price. Find real book value and subtract twice what the repairs are going to cost you. Twice so you are compensated for your time and loss of use during repair.

WormGod
08/17/2009, 07:05 AM
Mid atlantic winters arent the worse, but there is ALWAYS road salt. The rust they mention may be hangers. They are probably brittle and spotting some new ones in is no big deal.

Regardless, everything you mention is easily available through aftermarket means, and cheaper.