PDA

View Full Version : I never could've imagined this part would fail

deermagnet
08/14/2009, 07:27 AM
As you can see, my intake tube tore away at the throttle body connection.
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx3/tube.jpg

I was checking my K&N to see if it was clogged up with bugs and debris from all the summer driving. As I lifted the filter cover it felt really loose on the other end like the band was loose or something. I looked and saw it was almost completely torn at the throttle body. Yikes! I was lucky there was just enough left on the tube to barely connect with a large hose clamp I had. An Isuzu parts dealer had a new one for me in four days. I figured I might as well get a new air temp sensor also.

I believe this was caused by age, heat, cold, and whatnot. Also I see that the flex section of the tube, the old one and the new one, doesn't flex at all. So every time I raise the air filter lid the tube wants to rotate at the other end held tight by the band at the throttle body. I'm sure that helps it to stress and shred over time. I'm now gonna loosen the band every time I lift the air filter cover so that all parts of the hose rotate as a solid piece.

Take a look at yours to see if it still looks good at that spot. If you have an unmetered air intake leak causing problems, check that spot for a possible leak.

Mark Griffin

don moore
08/14/2009, 08:02 AM
ouch

Gussie2000
08/14/2009, 08:32 AM
Hey mark !
Good you caught this rightaway.
I always check this bands at least twice a week to make they don't go too loose,specially from the day i replaced the OEM filter & box with a coned air filter.

Mines are all in good conds so far.

nfpgasmask
08/14/2009, 09:08 AM
How the heck would that even happen???

:wtfy: Bart

deermagnet
08/14/2009, 09:16 AM
As I said, I believe it's caused by an old rubber part being rotated and twisted every time the air filter lid is raised up. I usually lifted the filter lid and pushed it forward, resting it on the PS fluid reservoir. If the flex section doesn't flex, all the stress and rotation is put on the other end at the clamp. It's pretty thin rubber there and the throttle body gets hot. I'm gonna loosen the band clamp to allow the whole thing to rotate as one piece from now on when lifting the filter lid.

Mark

iamironman
08/14/2009, 09:25 AM
Edit: oops... I didn't read your whole first post... seems you already got one from the dealer... I have one for sale..

Scott Harness
08/14/2009, 09:28 AM
I've had several plastic pieces crumble.Just old plastic losing it's pliability.

Triathlete
08/14/2009, 11:11 AM
Easy fix...duct tape!:bwgy:

circmand
08/14/2009, 02:15 PM
Easy fix...duct tape!:bwgy:

For parts needing to be air tight.

cyronman
08/14/2009, 06:50 PM
Wow...I just cleaned my K&N filter yesterday, and in I was wondering if anything could possibly go wrong during this process, over time.