PDA

View Full Version : SICKENING!

nfpgasmask
08/13/2009, 03:02 PM
But more than that, sad.

California State Park Closures (http://www.calparks.org/)

On the proposed list: Russian Gulch AND Bodie! Two of my favorite parks! Not only that, it said in the paper that camping fees at EVERY park will be increased DOUBLE or more. We just camped at a spot that was $18/night and I thought that was ridiculous. What now? $40/night? Might as well stay at a freakin' hotel!!! :mado:

Bart

Sprey
08/13/2009, 04:21 PM
Thats a real bummer man, over here about 4 hours from me is basicaly the centre of the north island, in a place called Taupo, there was a mint as camping ground right by the lake and right where everything was so basicaly in town.

It used to get full up sooo much over summer etc.
It got closed off or i think someone sold it off not sure.
And its now like just a walk way area or something not quite sure havent been up there for ages.

And now the only play to go is roughly 45min south of Taupo and you have to have a vehicle to get there and back as its on the road leading into Taupo

Such a pain when places like your state parks close

Bit of a rant from me above :p

Triathlete
08/13/2009, 09:32 PM
Taupo...they have a nice Ironman there!:thumbup:

They were talking about closing the state parks here but they parks system was so short on $$$ that they didn't have enough to buy fencing to close them!

djvx
08/13/2009, 09:43 PM
The waste of Govt. spending and the poor decisions they make on where to spend it and who to give it to is beyond out of control. The money for that Park to stay open is likely getting poured into a slot machine by a welfare recipient as we speak...Gimme one day on cutting fat out of budgets and I'd have Cali. out of the red in no time. They're fools.

Mark B
08/14/2009, 06:44 AM
How about this one.
The city of Largo, Florida has removed all the american flags in the city because they say the city needs to cut budgets and it cost to much to maintain the american flag.
There was such a great outrage from the citizens that the city put the flags back up and are looking for other ways to cut the budget. I am sure that the city leaders will find another way by doing something stupid again.

circmand
08/14/2009, 07:36 AM
Is cheap. What I do not understand is the supposed cost of upkeep on what is essentially woods and in some cases a bathroom bldg. Of course I also do not understand why tax payers should pay millions in upkeep if they do not use a park. Government has enough duties they screw up to have to worry about providing cheap camp grounds. Of course with CA writing IOUs and not paying employees its ridiculous to spend a dime in keeping forrests natural by spendinmg millions for upkeep.

nfpgasmask
08/14/2009, 02:51 PM
Is cheap. What I do not understand is the supposed cost of upkeep on what is essentially woods and in some cases a bathroom bldg. Of course I also do not understand why tax payers should pay millions in upkeep if they do not use a park. Government has enough duties they screw up to have to worry about providing cheap camp grounds. Of course with CA writing IOUs and not paying employees its ridiculous to spend a dime in keeping forrests natural by spendinmg millions for upkeep.

I dunno, I come from the school of thought that camping should be just about free. I mean, a little fee or whatever is fine, but when it starts creeping up towards Super8 prices, there is something wrong. How much can a dumpster and a pit toilet really cost to maintain?

Personally I do not like "campground" camping. Camping with some other party right next to me IS NOT CAMPING, it's sleeping outside with a bunch of other people. I like camping out on BLM land or on national forest land, FAR away from the nearest other human. But, when the wife comes, she requires a real toilet, so I often end up at fee sites. I think a per night fee of $10 or $12 is fair, I think $18 is a little steep. Double that and now you are talking ridiculous.

Bart

Moncha
08/14/2009, 02:56 PM
10,000 feet and above is the only place I'll go camping (Tents Only)... Most folks stay away from this height, 'cuz it gets cold at night but, it makes for the best of times when you want to get away from it all... I pray Colorado never implements something like this!

circmand
08/14/2009, 03:37 PM
I dunno, I come from the school of thought that camping should be just about free. I mean, a little fee or whatever is fine, but when it starts creeping up towards Super8 prices, there is something wrong. How much can a dumpster and a pit toilet really cost to maintain?

Personally I do not like "campground" camping. Camping with some other party right next to me IS NOT CAMPING, it's sleeping outside with a bunch of other people. I like camping out on BLM land or on national forest land, FAR away from the nearest other human. But, when the wife comes, she requires a real toilet, so I often end up at fee sites. I think a per night fee of $10 or $12 is fair, I think $18 is a little steep. Double that and now you are talking ridiculous.

Bart

But considering the billions the governments spend on parks which as you said requires very little it should not be as costly as it is. But the government have created an entire bureaucracy out of this and cannot stop themselves from desiring more. I shudder to think how much its going too cost when they start running health care. Note either party will screw it up.