PDA

View Full Version : almost time for 1st VX !!

voo-doo
08/13/2009, 02:37 PM
Thinking of getting a VX, is there a place to get brush guards and nerf bars for one?

circmand
08/13/2009, 02:51 PM
Thinking of getting a VX, is there a place to get brush guards and nerf bars for one?

I would suggest getting the VX before worrying about what mods you want done. You need to drive it to really get a feel for what you want.

Marlin
08/13/2009, 03:06 PM
I would agree, you need to get it first, and don't waste money on Nerf bars, just get sliders with foot loops, that way if you ever want to use the VX off road, you won't get hung up on thin walled tubing.

don moore
08/14/2009, 08:32 AM
nerf bar...lol i get a kick out of the name..... who came up with that name NERF.....

circmand
08/14/2009, 02:19 PM
nerf bar...lol i get a kick out of the name..... who came up with that name NERF.....

NERF stands for Non-Expanding Recreational Foam

Moncha
08/14/2009, 02:46 PM
I thought it was for Never Ever Really Fourwheeling.... Hmmmmm all this time

Marlin
08/14/2009, 02:48 PM
I thought it was for Never Ever Really Fourwheeling.... Hmmmmm all this time

Nice...

Anita
08/14/2009, 09:37 PM

Maybe someone could answer this good man's question and tell him where one can buy these mods. For my part, I dont think there is a source for ready made guards/bars. It seems that most find someone close by to fabricate them, or buy them used from another owner.

don moore
08/14/2009, 10:06 PM
oops ..sorry ANITA.....me bad ..you can now whip me Im sorry....

Marlin
08/15/2009, 07:26 AM
Me too I suppose, I was thinkin he would do what I did. My VX went from bone stock to what you see below in less than 3 months, it was a very fast paced project, there are a few things I would have done different, but I would have kicked myself if I spent 300-400 bucks on NERF bars, and then found out that rocky road sliders with the step loops are <400 and super heavy duty.

Riff Raff
08/15/2009, 11:58 AM
Voo-Doo--- I concur with everyone else here. Get a VX first, and then think about various mod's later on. We used to have a source for the items you desire at www.ToneMonday.com ; however, its legendary beloved founder "Tone" has recently passed away and the website has since become dormant.

The VX full front brush-guards are actually modified Mercedes-Benz SUV brush-guards designed to fit the specific mounting points on a VX. 99.99% of all VX owner's shy away from the full front brush-guards, because it detracts from the stunning beauty of the stock VX front-end. Fellow VX member "JoFoToz" has one of the only known VX brush-guard's on his VX, and can be viewed in his photo gallery.

A more popular front bumper is the Westin Bull-Bar Bumper (originally available in both Chrome and Black), which is a favorite among VX owner's who desire to mount auxilary driving lights without detracting from the VX's natural front-end beauty. Fellow VX member "VX KAT" has this bumper in black, and can be viewed in her photo gallery.

The NERF show bars (originally available in both Chrome and Black); although easily mounted, are more tailored for "street" use and offer little protection for serious off-roading. The "Rock-Sliders" are more flush-mounted to the bottom of the rocker panels; are a P.I.T.A. to install, but offer far superior protection off-road. The Rock-Sliders can be viewed in the photo gallery of fellow VX member "MARLIN".

Again; find a VX first, and then contemplate various mod's afterwards based upon your individual driving needs/wants.

JoFotoz
08/15/2009, 01:00 PM
My Brush Guard is indeed a modified ML320 unit...However....

Voo-Doo---
The VX full front brush-guards are actually modified Mercedes-Benz SUV brush-guards designed to fit the specific mounting points on a VX. 99.99% of all VX owner's shy away from the full front brush-guards, because it detracts from the stunning beauty of the stock VX front-end. Fellow VX member "JoFoToz" has one of the only known VX brush-guard's on his VX, and can be viewed in his photo gallery.

...I believe its the only one.

Tone did in fact sell a full Brush Guard with VX's mounts , that a few have here...

http://www.tonemonday.com/images/full_brush_guard/full_brush_guard.htm

... however I dont think he ever let on what vehicle it was from.

My guess...a Ford Escape...maybe Rav 4...with modified mounts.

jo

circmand
08/15/2009, 07:26 PM
Maybe someone could answer this good man's question and tell him where one can buy these mods. For my part, I dont think there is a source for ready made guards/bars. It seems that most find someone close by to fabricate them, or buy them used from another owner.

If we knew where they could be purchased we would have told him?

Anita
08/15/2009, 10:51 PM
oops ..sorry ANITA.....me bad ..you can now whip me Im sorry....

Only if you are into that... :winky:

Good advice all round... just thought he needs to know there are no readymade bars out there.

tom4bren
08/18/2009, 02:19 PM
Voo Doo,

I still have my NERF bars. I've kinda given up on installing them tho since I would have to modify them due to my offset (actually, I've already modified the brackets slightly but they'll still mount without any problems).

AFTER you get your VX, PM me & we'll talk.:)