PDA

View Full Version : Removing stubborn bolts

circmand
08/12/2009, 10:20 AM
I am trying to install a trailer hitch. I need to remove the bolts holding the tow hooks. I do not want to break them off. I have been applying penetrating oil (seafoam) for several days for all the good it does. I am only using a ratchet but am considering a breaker bar this afternoon. Given the bolts are going up I am not sure the penetrating oil can get to the threads. Any advice?

handeeman
08/12/2009, 11:56 AM
Consider this a :bump:till one of our more Knowledgable wrenches can help ya. I wouldn't think the penetrating oil is gonna do much good. Got any buddies with an impact wrench? swing by and let them loosen the bolts for ya.

circmand
08/12/2009, 12:41 PM
from autozone on their free tool loan program but how do they work? If it is just force I can use a breaker bar. Or are they air powered? I would need a compressor.

circmand
08/12/2009, 12:47 PM
Has anyone tried an electric impact wrench. AZ does not loan the air impact wrench but is trying to sell me an electric one

handeeman
08/12/2009, 12:49 PM
Yes you would need a pretty good compressor. I'm not the best one on how they work. I've just watched the real mechanics loosen up stubborn bolts with them. Again hang on till one of site wrenches answers your question.

Triathlete
08/12/2009, 02:09 PM
A breaker bar will work just fine. Just make sure you are using good quality ratchet and sockets. If they are of the cheap nature they will end up rounding the bolt or breaking.

nfpgasmask
08/12/2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah, my breaker bar was like one of the best tool investments EVER. I use it all the time, especially at Pick & Pull. The leverage you get makes it seem so easy! I would try some PB Blaster too. I'm not sure Seafoam will do the trick...are they making Seafoam in a spray bottle now?

Bart

rowhard
08/12/2009, 03:16 PM
you can also use a cheater bar with ratchet (but be careful) cheater bar, a pipe you slip over the end of the ratchet handle to give you more leverage. You can also use a box end wrench over the ratchet handle, but again, be careful and only if you have plenty of room.

circmand
08/12/2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah, my breaker bar was like one of the best tool investments EVER. I use it all the time, especially at Pick & Pull. The leverage you get makes it seem so easy! I would try some PB Blaster too. I'm not sure Seafoam will do the trick...are they making Seafoam in a spray bottle now?

Bart

An aerosol can with plastic straw like WD40

As for plenty of room yeah I know the knuckle busters

psychos2
08/12/2009, 05:57 PM
HEAT will help. shawn

Grif
08/12/2009, 07:35 PM
HEAT will help. shawn
HEAT as in the "white gas" fuel additive, or heating the area around the bolt with a heat gun or torch?

Seems like heating the area may cause it to expand, but when it cools off, the resulting contraction of previously expanded threads might help.

circmand
08/12/2009, 10:20 PM
I got the 1 bolt side off and the 1st 2 bolts on the other side. Only cost me 1 ratchet. Any suggestions on the right tool to access that third bolt way up top without removing the cladding?

psychos2
08/13/2009, 04:53 AM
HEAT as in the "white gas" fuel additive, or heating the area around the bolt with a heat gun or torch?

Seems like heating the area may cause it to expand, but when it cools off, the resulting contraction of previously expanded threads might help.

Heat as in with a torch . Works well on the really hard to get out bolts.:flame::flame::flame:

tom4bren
08/13/2009, 08:55 AM
"Any suggestions on the right tool to access that third bolt way up top without removing the cladding?"

email etlsport. I'm pretty sure he's had his off.

Ascinder
08/13/2009, 10:30 AM
Apply heat to the area and press a crayon into the thread area. It's an old wheeling trick and it works better than wd-40 or liquid wrench.

nfpgasmask
08/13/2009, 11:38 AM
Apply heat to the area and press a crayon into the thread area. It's an old wheeling trick and it works better than wd-40 or liquid wrench.

Which ones work better? Crayola or the generic ones you get at restaurants with kids place mats?

:p Bart

circmand
08/13/2009, 12:12 PM
Which ones work better? Crayola or the generic ones you get at restaurants with kids place mats?

:p Bart

Hey gas mask have you been under there and seen just how accesible the bolts are, let alone the threads? After getting the bolts out the penetrating oil seems to have gotten half way up the threads but the worst part was further up. The breaker bar, Pipe over the socket handle' worked great. I still ned to know what tool works for that 3rd bolt on the passenger side tow hook the farthest up.

nfpgasmask
08/13/2009, 03:59 PM
Hey gas mask have you been under there and seen just how accesible the bolts are, let alone the threads? After getting the bolts out the penetrating oil seems to have gotten half way up the threads but the worst part was further up. The breaker bar, Pipe over the socket handle' worked great. I still ned to know what tool works for that 3rd bolt on the passenger side tow hook the farthest up.

I haven't really looked, but I did pull a rear bumper off a 1st gen Trooper at Pick & Pull and those 4 bolts were a WHORE to get off. They are accessible but only with a smaller ratchet and there isn't much room to crank. So why are you removing the hooks?

Bart

psychos2
08/13/2009, 08:07 PM
What happens is the wax ( we use candles) gets sucked into the threads and acts as a lubricant. You will be surprised how easy they turn out if done properly. shawn

circmand
08/14/2009, 08:05 AM
I haven't really looked, but I did pull a rear bumper off a 1st gen Trooper at Pick & Pull and those 4 bolts were a WHORE to get off. They are accessible but only with a smaller ratchet and there isn't much room to crank. So why are you removing the hooks?

Bart

a Curt Trailer Hitch. You have to remove tow hooks because the hitch uses those bolts and those holes to mount the hitch, plus you have to drill 4 more holes for 4 more bolts

circmand
08/16/2009, 11:06 PM
I still need to drill the four holes for the other bolts but finally got the damn tow hooks off.

A quick tip, The driver side has one bolt holding the tow hook on the passenger side has three. For those who are unaware that 3rd bolt is so far up its like having the doctor removing your tonsils via your rectum. (doing that can really wreckem, get it?) I tries for many hours. If I had known I could remove 3/4 of the cladding in 10 minutes and had easy access I would have gone that way no debate about it.

Some more tips If you have the Curt hitch;
1. Your spare tire makes a convenient booster to get the hitch up clode to the frame
2. a hydraulic jack works great for the rest of the way once you have 1 side bolted.
3. not all cladding screws will be easily put back as the hitch blocks several a 10mm wrench and screwdriver handle helpd getting them in and out.
4. Doing this in 120 degree temp is not fun or advisable
5. for ease of bolting I always screw in the bolts before using to make sure they go in properly, make sure to remove them before installing yor hitch.
6. At this time JCWhitney has the Curt hitch for $168 includes shipping and the ball holder.
7. directions can be found in the hollow of the hitch this will save valuable hold time with JCWhitney