PDA

View Full Version : minidisc

Freon VX
07/31/2003, 06:54 PM
Any one have ANY clue as to how I can get one of the original Isuzu minidisc players that came on the japanese vehicross. I love minidisc, and even though I may well be the last person in America using them, I want to upgrade the stock syste,m I have to minidisc.

Thanks,

Bill

paultvx
07/31/2003, 10:22 PM
Interesting. I tried the mini-disc thing 2 years ago but just wasn't pleased with the sound quality.

You may want to look up newducthman. He lives in Japan and might be able to look the part up or help you get in touch with the locals who can lend you a hand.

Freon VX
08/01/2003, 06:47 AM
yeah, minidisc uses a compression that some people claim to hear, however I don't, and in the car, it makes even less difference. I like the fact that they take up so much less space, and that they cant get scratched like my cd's (or no big deal to lose a copy). I will look for the jap guy today. Thanks.

bill

tiggergreen
08/03/2003, 12:39 PM
I have a mini disc player in my VX. Why spend a lot of money getting the Isuzu version? I pulled that piece of garbage CD changer out of the bottom slot and threw it away the first week I had the VX. I put a pocket in there instead and so I have a little more storage room in my VX. I am using the latest MiniDisc player from Sony and even with LP2 compression, I cannot tell a difference between the compressed version and the CD version.

I have been an avid MiniDisc fan for about eight years now. I have a NetMD recorder that I use to burn all my MiniDiscs. I used to use the OpenMG software to store my songs, but I lost all my songs when my main hard drive crashed. Seems there is a backup system on the Internet for protecting yourself from this type of problem, but I found out about this after the crash. Now I use MusicMatch to store all my songs in MP3 format. OpenMG can convert them to ATRAC compression and put them on the MiniDisc with titles.

Let me know if you would like to know any further information. I would be happy to help out in any way.

Brent

Freon VX
08/03/2003, 05:21 PM
Brent, Ive found a couple I am going tro go with on Ebay. Perhaps a better question is, where can I get a pocket that drops in and fits in the bottom section. I have had minidiscs in all my previous cars, and think they are the absolute bomb for travelling.

Bill

Jonnie
08/03/2003, 05:46 PM
The VX I just bought had the CD replaced with a pocket, I was really confused for a while. But its handy.

Jonathan

tiggergreen
08/04/2003, 11:12 AM
I had my MiniDisc player installed at CarToys and they replaced the CD changer with a pocket. I'm pretty sure it is just a standard DIN sized pocket that you could buy anywhere. I'm sure Crutchfield would carry them...

I agree with you about MiniDiscs - I have them all organized in cases:

Case Logic MDW-24 (http://www.minidisco.com/mdw-24.html)

Brent