PDA

View Full Version : Water draining into the passenger floor from under the dash

loco6464
07/31/2003, 11:59 AM
Hi. I noticed this as of this morning. We had a real hard rain last night and as of this morning I got in the VX and sat some papers in the pass. side floor and started it up and I noticed some dripping from under the dash onto the floor board. I know some have said its a bad seam weld by the a pillar and others say its a bad windshield seal. Could you guys post some pics of where these areas are so I can inspect the area my self? And please feel free to make your own comments as to what I should do or look for.

Thanks guys.
:confused:

loco6464
08/05/2003, 08:12 AM
Well it rained last night and again I noticed water dripping from under the dash on the passengers side. I also heard it sloshing around before I saw it start to drip out. Can anyone provide me with some pics or directions on what to look at and where. I have an appointment for the dealer on the 18th and I just want to make sure it gets fixed.

Any help would be great.

:biggroup:

andy454
08/05/2003, 06:20 PM
turn your heater on high and in a spray bottle mix up some dish soap and water. Close doors and windows. Spray on all welds an seals and look for the bubbles. Should help in finding the leak.

loco6464
08/05/2003, 07:08 PM
In what areas should I spray?

Jonnie
08/05/2003, 07:46 PM
On my Acura, the ac drain hose clogged and I was wondering why I got ice water on my toes. The water would backup in the vents and run out the floor register- happened right after comming to FL.

Jonathan

loco6464
08/05/2003, 07:53 PM
In my situation it only seems to happen when it rains. I also noticed the pass side window when rolled up it cocks and I take my hand and push down in the rear and it pops back up. But that is not the cause of the leak because I made sure it was closed and when it rained it happened again. It seems strange because I can hear it sloshing around inside the dash (I guess) and then I notice just a few drops of water nothing severe but enough to get the mat wet. I will not have time to check it till this Saturday so I’m just looking for hints on where I should look.

Thanks Guys

Yefim
08/07/2003, 08:29 PM
I have EXACTLY the same problem. After a heavy rain I hear water sloshing around somewhere in the passenger side dash and sometimes water runs out from underneith. I resealed my windshield and it didn't help. Sounds like I am not alone. Let me know if you'll find it! I will keep looking too, no problem with rain in Mass lately :rolleyes:

loco6464
08/08/2003, 11:04 AM
good to see I'm not alone. I guess as stated above I will shut it up and turn the heat on high and get me a spray bottle and spray the hell out of anything that touches the firewall area. if I find something (which I have my doubts) I will use some sort of butyl rubber or liquid sealant.

I'm going to try this tomorrow so wish me luck.
thanks
;Db;

Moncha
08/08/2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by loco6464
...spray the hell out of anything that touches the firewall area. if I find something (which I have my doubts)...

Don't always go for the obvious, the water may be wicking down from another area so spray the whole thing!

loco6464
08/08/2003, 02:12 PM
By the whole thing you mean the fire wall? Or what other parts?

Thanks

SGT.BATGUANO
08/09/2003, 01:07 PM
Keep spraying until you find it. Start at the firewall, then spread out to windshield, pillars, fender/door areas and roofline.

Moncha
08/09/2003, 01:26 PM
Thanks sarge.. should made my self more clear..

SGT.BATGUANO
08/09/2003, 06:23 PM
My pleasure, Scott.

Y33TREKker
08/11/2003, 08:08 PM
Does the VehiCross service manual show any likely locations\parts that water would be likely to accumulate, like air-flow ductwork or heater core enclosures? If you can hear a sloshing noise coming from the passenger side dash after it rains, it shouldn't be hard to at least narrow it down to likely accumulation points. Most vehicles have some kind of air intake for the ventilation system up under the cowling that houses the windshield wiper motor and wiper connecting arms. Maybe water enters at that point due to a poorly designed intake position, or intake seal, and works it's way down from there.

I haven't been able to get the VehiCross manual that I downloaded to open, or I'd check out the ventilation system layout myself. When I try to start the program, it always asks me to insert my Isuzu CD-ROM.

johnnyapollo
08/12/2003, 04:10 AM
You need to burn the files from the CD to disk (extract them into a temporary directory, then copy they to CD). Then run the setup, which will place the viewer files on your harddrive. The viewer has to have a CD to pull the files from.

-- John

Y33TREKker
08/12/2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by johnnyapollo
You need to burn the files from the CD to disk (extract them into a temporary directory, then copy they to CD). Then run the setup, which will place the viewer files on your harddrive. The viewer has to have a CD to pull the files from.

-- John

You da man. Thanks j.a.

Yefim
08/18/2003, 10:38 AM
loco6464: so did you ever find the leak? It was raining today here and I had nothing... really tough to troubleshoot something inconsistent.

loco6464
08/18/2003, 11:45 AM
I started to try it out but after talking to the dealer he said they have a place they send the hard to find leaks to and he said they will find it, so silly me gave it a shot. I should here something by Thursday or Friday. I also am going to have them replace my headlight lenses because they look kind of cloudy at the top and my pass side door weather seal is ripped and the passenger side door window is goofed up when you roll it down and back up it leaves a little gap in the front by the side view mirror and the only way to even it out is to push down on the back of the glass to pop the front back up and last of all my passenger side wiper arm is rusted. Other than that its just peachy. I'm usually the type to fix little things like that my self but as long as its covered I figure why not let them do it??

Ill let you know
:)

loco6464
09/29/2003, 09:50 AM
Well its been over a month and the dealer has not fixed my leak. Every time it rains my floor board is soaked. The dealer seems to think its the weather strip around the door (NOT), I have provided him with my research about the bad pinch weld on the fire wall near the A pillar (which I do not know is the case for me) and he just keeps saying they need to replace this and that before he can look at the fire wall or wherever it may be. Now he did say that if they cant find it they will take apart the dash and whatever else to see where the water enters the VX but I have a phobia about this kind of thing where I'm afraid it will never go back together the way it should ( its just me I'm sure ). I was told that I could turn the heat on high and shut up the VX and use a soapy solution to spray the fire fall and wiper area with, my question is do I need to take off anything or do I just spray the soap? Also could I go to a car wash and use the brush for the soap ( I have a car wash near me that puts out a crap load of soap ). I just feel like I cant trust anyone but my self sometimes and I would like to take care of this so I know it will not come back to haunt me.

Thank all of you for your help, its nice to know I can rely on someone for good advice.
:):waag:

Moncha
09/29/2003, 11:25 AM
If you do the soap thing, best wayt o do is use a large spray bottle filled with water and your favorite dish soap. Don't use alot of soap, just about a teaspoon in a quart of water. This is not a matter of having a tremendous amount of suds only a clear spray that develops bubbles if coming in contact with your air leak source. Kinda like blowing bubbles when you were a kid. Do as told, roll up windows, turn on a/c or heater fan, Temp does not matter just volume of air, shut doors and and start to spray the water/soap solution in areas that is suspect. You'll need to spray with a mist not a stream. Spray untill area is wet then move to the next. Focus on seams and joints along windows and doors then move to the firewall and dash area. You may need to take out the vent covers in the area of the wipers and spray in there. THe water getting in may be wicking from another area so don't concentrate too much in an obvious area. Do windshield top and sides, do the area ofthe roof racks, you may have a bad weld and so on.. If the solution sparyed on starts to bubble, wel then you may have found your leak. Especially if is in a strange area like not around vents and such.. Good luck.. Remember of you use dish soap, you'll need to wax your car again as it'll strip the previous wax off.

Yefim
09/29/2003, 11:47 AM
Well I solved this problem by buying a house :) Now I park in the garage - no more water inside. This solution is VERY expensive though :D

loco6464
09/29/2003, 02:21 PM
Thanks Moncha those instructions were great, I'm on this as soon as I get a spray bottle. And Yefim I unfortunately decided to remodel my house and i converted my garage into a billiard room so I guess if it comes down to it and I cant fix it and the dealer keeps making money off me for fixing the wrong stuff till my warranty runs out Ill have to build another garage so my VX lasts a little longer ( this is a tad more than I care to spend to remedy the situation ). Any way thanks Moncha I hope I can find it.

Stay tuned......................
:cryg:

loco6464
10/31/2003, 01:20 PM
Well I guess they fixed my leak. They shipped it over to a auto glass & upholstery shop and they found it after a day or so. I had 2 spots one was a seam under the wiper cowl that led to the fresh air vent, and the other was on the fire wall. I will not know until I test it or till it rains but it sounds promising this time. Now I can work on getting some new rims out of them since I noticed a few spots starting to bubble up. I want to thank you guys for all your help

time will tell
:)

VX_PA
11/07/2003, 12:39 PM
This is one of the problems that the VX has. I had the same problem and kept returning to the dealership complaining about the leak. The first 2 times they replaced the windshield but it didn't help. The 3rd time they ordered a windshield directly from Japan and added lots of sealant. That fixed the problem and I have been leak free for over a year and a half.

If you're still under warranty have your dealer order a windsheild from Japan (takes about 1 week) and seal it tight. Shouldn't cost you a cent.

Good Luck