PDA

View Full Version : 10 bolt lockers available again

Triathlete
08/05/2009, 03:48 PM
Matt had sold out of the first production of Aussie lockers for the 10 bolt. He has decided to get a second batch and is currently giving a discount to those that pre order. Just thought I'd throw it up here in case any one had missed out or just wanted to save a few bucks. Here is the link! (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809240)

samneil2000
08/05/2009, 05:15 PM
Who has these on their front end? How's the driveability on road and off?

Marlin
08/05/2009, 06:06 PM
Hmmmm, now that is an actual mod option for me...

VX1032
08/05/2009, 06:30 PM
I have one in my front end. You need to use manual locking hubs with them, so on road the front is unnoticable because it is not hooked into anything. Off road, I have no clue. I am going to find out Saturday.

Triathlete
08/05/2009, 07:34 PM
I have one in my front end. You need to use manual locking hubs with them, so on road the front is unnoticable because it is not hooked into anything. Off road, I have no clue. I am going to find out Saturday.

Manual hubs are definately a must have with one!
Off road you are going to pee yourself when you see what you will be capable of! Just remember that that extra traction can also get you in a LOT more trouble!:bwgy: Have fun!

pbkid
08/05/2009, 08:45 PM
would love to get a hold of one of these! :_drool:

pbkid
08/05/2009, 08:49 PM
another ?- possibly a dumb one....

would you have to buy a bunch more stuff for this 10-bolt aussie?? (different axle, shims, spider gears)

or if one of these was ordered, could it be installed directly into our factory front axle??
basically, if i purchased one, would all i need after it arrived would be someone to install it?? therefore a locker for under 1k? (with the hubs, locker, and installation)

Triathlete
08/05/2009, 09:41 PM
I would give Matt a call. He would be able to answer all those questions. I don't want to misinform you and I am not 100% sure.

crotchrocket
08/06/2009, 04:30 AM
So is this a permenent locker? or is it switchable by air ?

VX1032
08/06/2009, 05:23 AM
automatic, no switches to control it.

My installed did not need to buy anything seperate. it just went in. I have the old spider gears down stairs as they are replaced by the locker.

pbkid
08/06/2009, 04:10 PM
hmmm... i may be seriously interested if that is true....

ive always been under the impression you cant do a locker for under 1.5k

samneil2000
08/06/2009, 04:42 PM
I'm leary of lockers on IFS though because when wheeling, they increase your chances of breaking a CV. At least that's my experience with my friends and their Toyota crawler toys. They all do a SAS for the front for strength.

I'm curious how NJ99VX's ride goes. This is exciting... I think I just wet myself.

Scott Harness
08/06/2009, 04:42 PM
I thought they were squirrelly on road when you go around corners.

VX1032
08/06/2009, 05:09 PM
Scott, that is the locker in the rear, and yes it can be if you apply the throttle at the wrong time. If I had it to do over again, I probably wouldn't do the auto locker in the rear since I drive up to 8 hours to go offroading, then again I only put 1500 miles on it last year, so I dont drive that much in the VX anymore. We will see how they pay off offroad before I make that call for sure with the hindsight.

Marlin
08/06/2009, 05:11 PM
I thought they were squirrelly on road when you go around corners.

Not if you have manual hubs. If I get the locker, I would get the cheaper superwinch hubs, vice the Aisins. Insurance for the CVs. Anyone know if there are other CVs that fit the VX, say from a rodeo, or Trooper?

pbkid
08/06/2009, 05:24 PM
doulble check part numbers... but im almost positive 97 trooper CV's will fit the VX... as a matter of fact, almost anything suspension related will match the 97 trooper (according to indy4x)

Marlin
08/06/2009, 05:26 PM
doulble check part numbers... but im almost positive 97 trooper CV's will fit the VX... as a matter of fact, almost anything suspension related will match the 97 trooper (according to indy4x)

Thanks jack, may be time to hit up the local U pull, see if I can score a set of old CVs, that would be good insurance if I go locked in the front.

pbkid
08/06/2009, 05:31 PM
yup... like i said...give indy4x a call and make sure, but i talked to them for a while on the phone the other day, (before making my rather large order from them) and they seem to be pretty confident that if i order parts for a 97 trooper they will fit on my VX ;)

Marlin
08/06/2009, 05:34 PM
yup... like i said...give indy4x a call and make sure, but i talked to them for a while on the phone the other day, (before making my rather large order from them) and they seem to be pretty confident that if i order parts for a 97 trooper they will fit on my VX ;)

Whatja order....huh.....tell us....please.....bushings? HD tie rods....living vicariously through others.....bumper, killing me......getting made fun of....I should just end it all........NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VX1032
08/06/2009, 05:34 PM
With a front locker manual hubs are a must with our vehicle, otherwise your front end will be bound up and you WILL break something . Also you get them so they breakbefore your CVs do, that way you don't have to keep changing CVs which takes a while and not easily done on the trail, versus hubs which are right in front of you an a lot easier to get to.

pbkid
08/06/2009, 05:40 PM
hmmm.... should i tell or not?? hmm.....

well, i guess i got more info from them than anything else...
- new calipers and pads all the way around
- brake caliper paint (ordering soon)
- inner and outer bearings on front, bearing for rear
- braided brake lines
- will be ordering new shocks soon
- still deciding on-> HD tie rods, new CV's, and diff drop

still finishing up all my fluid changes (havent had time..and every time i have time i forget a tool i need from work.. been making me very :_brickwal )

done with the front and rear axles and x-case... still scared and dreading the transmission... and im probably gonna try to get the motor oil done while im at it

Whatja order....huh.....tell us....please.....bushings? HD tie rods....living vicariously through others.....bumper, killing me......getting made fun of....I should just end it all........NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VX1032
08/09/2009, 12:32 PM
My review of the lockers installed

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16232