PDA

View Full Version : Hello All, Broken Signal/Headlight/Highbeam switch

taylorRichie
08/05/2009, 08:53 AM
First hello! Been a while... Still have the VX, and I'm still driving it :) Almost up to 54,000 miles ;)

Alot of motorcycle time this summer, but I'm working on outfitting my VX as more of an expedition Vehicle. Plenty in the works :)

Anyway, I was headed to work this morning turned on my left signal and my multi switch flopped out. It's now just kind of dangling. Headlight control still works, blinkers still work (I just have to manipulate it back into place, then push down)

Has anyone had this happen before? Simple fix? Is it going to cost me? ideas? Pretty damned annoying since I was headed out of town Friday :(

Thanks all!

Richie

tom4bren
08/05/2009, 09:03 AM
Sorry Bro - haven't heard of anyone having that issue or even done a mod that required removal.

I think that workmeister has done more dash removal stuff than most. Maybe PM him (he hasn't been very active lately).

Triathlete
08/05/2009, 02:48 PM
Is it superglue-able? Just a thought. Figure if it is already broke you can't harm it any more.

Y33TREKker
08/06/2009, 07:10 AM
I've never looked at the combination switch on the VX, but those switch assemblies are often held together with metal plates with tabs that can be rebent to hold everything together tighter. You might try taking off the outer cosmetic cover of the steering column to get a better look at the switch itself to see whether it's a metal/plastic tab that's either come loose or failed altogether.

If it's the metal plate variety, all you'd probably have to do is put the switch back in place so that everything aligns properly (test for correct operation too) and is held tightly in place, then apply pressure to the plate and use a small hammer to rebend the tabs.

taylorRichie
08/10/2009, 07:38 AM
Just an FYI, all it needs is a small pin that holds in in place. A 12-14 AWG wire will do the trick, just bend the two ends do it stays. Right now I just have a zip tie through where the pin goes since the wire I had was too flexible.

Definitely way better off than I thought I was going to be :)

Ldub
08/10/2009, 07:47 AM
Good ta see ya round the campfire RT...:thumbup:

Glad it was an E Z one...:_wrench:

taylorRichie
08/10/2009, 08:09 AM
Glad to be back.

VX has been a blast, I installed an ARB Fridge, and put on a receiver cargo carrier so I have rooms for the dogs inside (sans back seat). Ultimate camping machine.

A shot from the weekend :)

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs196.snc1/6608_111339624554_830394554_2091692_115426_n.jpg