PDA

View Full Version : I need Help... (in more ways than one, lol)

iamironman
07/31/2009, 09:29 AM
I've been having severe back pain since Feb and I finally went to the Dr's. Results from MRI in... I have two ruptured disks in my back... will be having surgery in the next few weeks... I've been warned though the damage is so severe there is a possibility I could get paralyzed from the surgery, although that is a possibility with almost ANY back/spinal surgery. (as if I don't already have enough physical problems, I think fate decided to toss in another, "MUAHAHAHA... let's see if he can handle THIS!" Thunder Rumbles accross)

Anyways, I need a CV boot put on my VX... I have the boot... I already replaced the other one months ago but my back was bothering me so much after that I didn't do the passenger side. I was wondering if anyone in my area that knows how to, would come over and do this for me. I have all the tools neccessary to do it... I just can't spend the money now to take it somewhere because I need to buy a new electric wheelchair (the 20% medicare doesn't pay). If anyone has the motivation, please let me know. TIA

lasturbo
07/31/2009, 09:45 AM
Sorry to here about your back and my best on your upcoming surgery. If I was in Texas, I would lend a hand to a fellow VX'r. I am sure one of the crew closer to ya will be there!! My Best Again!!! :)

iamironman
07/31/2009, 09:48 AM
P.S. I'll be helping as much as I'm able...

IndianaVX
07/31/2009, 09:51 AM
iornman,
just a word, now days doctors are very quick to jump onto the "all we can do is surgery" wagon. my brother went in to a doctor a month or two with backpain, and without even having an xray, said that it could be taken care of with surgery.!!!!
its you that has to live with the results of said surgery, i might suggest
second opinion, and maybe i should just keep my trap shut.
i have had back problems for most of my life, and have doctors ready and willing to cut me open, but have not given them the chance.
If i were closer, i would be happy to come give you a hand on the cv's,
and im sure your back wouldnt feel anybetter driving to indy.
good luck with everything, hope it turns out well with no lasting effects other than painlessness! or lesser pain

VCrossfan
07/31/2009, 10:09 AM
I agree with IndianaVX.. Last June I had an MRI and they found a severely herniated disc that was leaking and thought I would go under the knife for sure. But after talking to 2 surgeons they both agreed it would heel it's self over time. The inflammation would go down and the body would absorb and fluids, but they said it would take time. They were right by Feb or so of this year I was back on the court and was feeling great. But you have to be careful and do things correctly ( picking up things, standing/sitting/sleeping, even a correct position when you sneeze) And daily stretches (which I always do anyway) Both doc's said the operation would be easy but told me to wait for those when I'm elderly,lol

JHarris1385
07/31/2009, 10:32 AM
I have a very bad back and I am only 24. I would not go under the knife unless you know you are paying the highest dollar for the best surgeon.

Otherwise look into chiropractic and physical therapy. i would suggest a pain manager phyisician and an inversion table for starters... Good spine worx. When I lay on this it works.

I fractured 2 verts last march. In 2001 I busted my humurus off into my chest snowboarding and to say the least the impact did a number to my spine.

tom4bren
07/31/2009, 11:12 AM
Dang, wish I were closer. I've done mine twice now & I'll be helping blujfan do his before he moves. I get to Austin every so often but the next trip won't be till Sep or Oct.

Good luck with the back. Wifey had that surgery a few years back. The worst part of the recovery was where they harvested bone from her hip.

Tom

Rene M
07/31/2009, 09:26 PM
Here it goes... I am in Houston but i maintain a full shop in San Antonio with a lift.
If we can get together for a weekend we can do it there.. " i do it and you watch"..
I had mine done at the dealer under warranty but its not hard " with the right tools".

iamironman
08/01/2009, 09:03 AM
Here it goes... I am in Houston but i maintain a full shop in San Antonio with a lift.
If we can get together for a weekend we can do it there.. " i do it and you watch"..
I had mine done at the dealer under warranty but its not hard " with the right tools".

Thanks to everyone for the advice... I am going to a second doctor on monday for a second opinion... It seems the minimeet on july 18th aggrevated the situation but I didn't really feel it till the next day... My doctor now tele me it's so bad right now that I could have permanent nerve damage if I don't get it taken care of asap...

Rene... Thanks for the help... you tell me the best weekend for you and I'll be there, well if it's before surgery if this second opinion says I definitely need it. Next weekend as far as I know I'm free to meet in SA. Address?

VX crazy
08/01/2009, 09:19 AM
I dont know if you are seeing ortho back dr or neurosurgeon, always always always go with a neurosurgeon on any back surgery. I had two spinal fractures one on top of the other after my wreck last year, and the ortho guy wanted to take me in ASAP, I got a second opinion from a neurosurgeon that my boss operates with and he suggested letting them heal on their own......I did and I am so glad I did let the other dr jump into doing surgery on me!

iamironman
08/01/2009, 11:52 AM
I dont know if you are seeing ortho back dr or neurosurgeon, always always always go with a neurosurgeon on any back surgery. I had two spinal fractures one on top of the other after my wreck last year, and the ortho guy wanted to take me in ASAP, I got a second opinion from a neurosurgeon that my boss operates with and he suggested letting them heal on their own......I did and I am so glad I did let the other dr jump into doing surgery on me!

Yes, a Neurosurgeon, Dr. Fox with www.neurotexas.net (http://www.neurotexas.net) . Seeing him Monday, my regular dr says surgery is most likely indicated as neccessary (her words). I am by no means an expert at reading MRI's but if you seen what I seen on mine... it looks like a tumor from the bulge of the disc's sticking out, bending my spine. And the view looking down into my spinal column, looking through the spinal fluid, looks perfectly round going down from the top then it hits the rupture and it is almost completely closed/pinched off. I will see what he says tomorrow. I feel I have very few choices in my situation... I use my arms for everything. Right now I have limited range of motion without excrutiating pain. and I don't want permanent nerve damage which might happen if I neglect this any longer. I'm stubborn and have a high pain threshhold, understandably.

iamironman
08/04/2009, 09:28 AM
Verdict from neurosurgeon is in...
Diagnosis: Cervical Stenosis
http://www.umm.edu/spinecenter/education/cervical_spinal_stenosis.htm

Prognosis without surgery: Permanent nerve damage possibly paralysis.
Very little can be done to heal or fix this with non surgical treatment like PT. No drug therapy can solve this.

Surgical solution is ACDF, Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnxDlSTCznA
SHould bring full relief. Because of my situation (Bilateral AKA) and physical needs, I will be staying in a live-in rehab center for two weeks to a month post-op to be able to heal with as little movement/exertion as possible on my part, to allow it to heal completely so I can go back to full activity. I have to have the surgery. Don't know when yet, waiting for a call from the surgery scheduler. I hope it's asap... It's getting worse even in the past week since I went to see the doctor first time, pain, numbness, weakness, losing feeling in my fingers left hand/arm.

JHarris1385
08/04/2009, 10:00 AM
I would reccomed Ozone Therapy first before knife.

circmand
08/04/2009, 11:22 AM
I would reccomed Ozone Therapy first before knife.

While Ozone Therapy can help in certain situations side effects include anal leakage and can affect ones ability to spell.

tom4bren
08/04/2009, 11:37 AM
LMAO.

Y'all kill me!!!

Back on the serious note:

ironman, I feel for ya son. I've been around others who're going through what you are. Good luck with the upcoming surgery. I'll be praying for you.

Ldub
08/04/2009, 12:13 PM
LMAO.

Y'all kill me!!!

ironman, I feel for ya son. I've been around others who're going through what you are. Good luck with the upcoming surgery. I'll be praying for you.

TO BE TAKEN TIMES A FACTOR OF TWO !

iamironman
08/04/2009, 01:27 PM
LMAO.

Y'all kill me!!!

thanks tom... I've never been scared of anything or anyone in my life... I'm scared.

VX crazy
08/04/2009, 02:28 PM
My ex husband had an anterior cervical fusion as well, tons better after that surgery! I think you will do tons better after that!

tom4bren
08/04/2009, 02:36 PM
Perfectly normal to be scared. The healthier you are going in, the better the results tho (& quicker recovery). You sound to be in very good shape (other than the back of course) so you'll be leading the pack at Moab next year, I'm sure.

samneil2000
08/05/2009, 03:59 PM
I had a spinal fusion back in 2004. I had a dislocated vertebra (L4) that was almost 9 millimeters forward from the rest of my spine. I had to have it or I wouldn't be walking much longer.
When the surgeon got in there to fuse it, it was shattered. After spending a few hours rebuilding it using donor bone, he did the fusion. I had to wear a turtle shell brace for 4 months and was pretty much home-bound.

Now I play sports and work out as often as I can. My biggest problem now is sleeping. After laying in bed 6 or 7 hours, I'm hurting pretty bad. Other than that, I do what I want. So, don't worry too much about the surgery.

That said, I would use it as a last resort. There are non-invasive treatments such as VAX-D that have a 75% success rate against disk bulges and ruptures.

My .02
Sam