PDA

View Full Version : FLORIDA BEACH MEETS /pics

Joe_Black
07/30/2003, 06:46 PM
Join your fellow VXers for fun in the sun and surf on Florida's most famous beach: DAYTONA! There are currently two planned meets for the weekends of August 16th and September 13th. I'm currently inquiring about group rates at the Daytona Shoreline (http://www.daytonashoreline.com/) which is a neat little property with grounds conducive to gathering and has great surf. As a former Daytona resident I've got some ideas for some group activities or you can just hang by the pool. Since driving is allowed on the beach there will great cruising and photo ops! NOTE: No mud is planned for this event! ;pg;

I'll post additional info on the group rate, or you can do a Yahoo! search based on the address of the above linked property and find your own nearby digs. Please drop me an email or PM if any questions!

Joe_Black
08/02/2003, 02:38 PM
Okay, no group rate from the Shoreline as their rates are pretty low to begin with and they're a small property, but at least I tried! Most of the cottages are around $70 a night and there are other nearby options for the bugdet minded. We plan on arriving Friday afternoon and staying through mid-day Sunday. THE MEET IS FOR SATURDAY! Please let me know if you plan to attend either or both events so I can get a head count. THANKS!

johnnyapollo
08/02/2003, 07:05 PM
I'm probably good for the September meet.

-- John

Joe_Black
08/06/2003, 06:24 PM
Called today to get my reservations in at the Shoreline and found the August date is booked up. Still some available for September, but going fast. A comparable property just a couple blocks north is the Ocean Court Motel (http://www.oceancourt.com) . Looking forward to some beach time!

-x-
08/06/2003, 06:57 PM
....Im there too, again ;) whats the drilly though? I have a wedding to attend in august but theres a meet sept. 13th right? Anyway Ill have tha vx all together for this meet ;Db; ....x

Joe_Black
08/07/2003, 03:06 PM
Yep, two dates: August 16th and September 13th, both Saturdays. We'll be there Friday afternoon through Sunday if any else plans on staying. Pretty much cruising and enjoying the beach, plus a ride to Ponce Lighthouse for those interested in that kinda thing (neat place) and a good overhead VX photo opportunity. I'm inquiring about a group visit to the Speedway and a possible lap on the track, otherwise a group dinner at the end of the day.

Joe_Black
08/09/2003, 09:23 AM
For those planning on staying at Daytona for the Beach Meet I have just found out that both the Shoreline and the Ocean Court are both booked up for next weekend. I just got a room at Perry's (www.perrysoceanedge.com) for the August date and Shoreline for the September date. All three of these properties are within 3,000 feet of each other and located beachside in Daytona Beach Shores. Please let me know if you're planning on attending for AUGUST so I can get a head-count. If I don't have your contact info please pass that along also, my phone does work outside of Ocala Forest! LOL!

Heraclid
08/09/2003, 10:25 AM
Hey there Joe,

I still plan to attend for August, but I don't think I'll be overnighting in Daytona.

Got your PM - thanks, but I had already seen it and was actually kinda eyeing something else on there instead. Did a hunt at Wal-Mart and Toys R' Us yesterday again and didn't find any HotWheels. Maybe time to just do the Ebay thing.

Back to the meet - got anyone else confirmed so far? I know we have a few interested in September, but how many for this one? Any word on the track? And are we talking THE track? Lighthouse looks cool - did a little searching yesterday to find pics and info on it. Second tallest in the US.

Tried to PM you on all of this but your box was full. If you need my contact info, my cell is 904-610-9288.

Joe_Black
08/09/2003, 01:46 PM
Gotcha. Yep, THE track. When I raced there I'd see car clubs 'n such getting a lap in on the oval, so thought that'd be cool for the group. Just got a name to call on Monday, so don't know if I can pull it off for this month, but maybe for next.

I did the lighthouse last year and it's really neet if you like that kind of stuff. Used to have a boat at the nieghboring marina and never gave the lighthouse more than an appreciative look when I lived there, now I'm like a frickin' tourist. LOL!

Got a great end-of-day dinner planned at the Ocean Deck so we can all convoy, ON THE BEACH, and park right in front. To get in front you have to have a 4X4 'cause of the sand. Heh heh.

On your Hotwheels quest: All I did was go through the stock whenever I happened to be where someone carried them, even places like Eckerds or Kay-Bee, anyplace. Took me months before I found the first one! Haven't looked lately 'cause I'm getting 1/43 Hongwells on eBay now, but will maybe get a HW or two to cusom paint. Plus I like how -X- made a keychain out of one.

In any case, looking forward to a relaxing next weekend!!!:clap:

Heraclid
08/09/2003, 03:21 PM
That would be awesome! We'd have to carry a lot of speed into the turns, because they're real steep. My dad and cousin were talking about how steep it was in person because they walked the track earlier this summer. I'm sure we'd have to sign some waivers. :-)

Hate to sound like I'm trying to throw a wrench into the equation here, but what about beach driving regulations? I guess you've done this a lot before though and would know what is and isn't permitted. I imagine in a lot of places dunes are off limits. Do we have to keep it under 10 mph or something like that?

By the way, there's a big office park kinda place I've been where the posted speed limit is 13 mph. No, I'm not kidding. Weird, huh?

You can get the keychains on Ebay too.

Joe_Black
08/09/2003, 04:05 PM
Beach speed limit is 10MPH and you can drive almost without interruption from Ormond to Ponce Inlet. The beach by Ocean Deck is pretty wide so if there are cars already parked there you can usually get between them and the OD, it's just real sandy.

I'm really hoping the speedway thing turns out, just don't want to get anyone's hopes up.

Joe_Black
08/12/2003, 06:37 PM
For those attending the beach social this weekend meet at the Denny's in Daytona Beach Shores for breakfast beginning at 9:30AM. We'll easily be there for an hour or so for the stragglers! Here's the address for you Internet mapping junkies:

DENNY'S
3162 S. ATLANTIC BLVD.
DAYTONA BEACH SHORES, FL 32118
904-788-3752

It's located at the North end of a small plaza across the street from beachside. If you're going to show up later in the day or plan on making dinner at Ocean Deck let me know either here or via email. We're heading over Friday afternoon so I may not have access to the board but can retrieve short email messages through my phone. If you contact me before Friday afternoon I'll pass along my cell number if you don't have it already.

See y'all there!

Heraclid
08/13/2003, 02:17 PM
Hey, I still plan to be there, and will plan to be there for breakfast as well.

If anyone is interested, the Ocean Deck restaurant has a website with a live webcam looking out over the beach...

www.oceandeck.com

There's a volleyball net there, so is anyone up for a game? :-)

Arachnid J
08/14/2003, 07:07 PM
I will be in Daytona on the 16 & 17 for the National Reptile Breeders Expo. . I will try to catch up with you while in town.

niv_d
08/14/2003, 07:48 PM
I’ll try to make it to the Ocean deck Sat. evening. Got to work on the VX that morning and if all go well, I’ll probably be able to make it (together with our new addition to the family…). Wouldn’t want to miss an opportunity to meet y’all. :)
I'll be in touch with you Joe

Joe_Black
08/14/2003, 08:40 PM
Looking forward to seeing you there Arachnid! Bringing any scaled friends with you?;eekg; LOL! (Used to have two Burmese Pythons, 15 and 12 feet, great fun once a month!)

Niv, we were beginning to wonder if y'all would show!;) Looking forward to seeing Rachel and Karin too! Yeah, and even you!;pg;

After three 14-hour days at work I definitely need to hit the beach!

Joe_Black
08/15/2003, 02:46 PM
WOOHOO! Off to Daytona! See y'all there!

Heraclid
08/17/2003, 10:32 AM
Well, I had a great time in Daytona and it was nice meeting everyone I had and hadn't met before. It was a cool place and I'd like to go back some time.

Joe, I owe you breakfast next time or something. I know what you'll probably say but I'm not yet sure if I want to part with the roof rack. :-) I could pay you for one of those cards you were talkiing about or something.

Niv, your new addition couldn't have been cuter. Congratulations again and I hope she doesn't keep you and Rachel up too much. :-) And please let us know when you have new shoes on your other "baby" (lift looked nice - good job!).

Joe_Black
08/17/2003, 04:09 PM
Glad you could make it! My batteries are now recharged thanks to the mini-vacation and some great comeraderie!

Heraclid: I won't harass ya about the rack, you know where it can find a home if you decided to part with it! Glad you had fun and made it home okay. I'll let you know soon what I find out about the posters.

Niv: You did a knock-up job on the lift! Looks great and can't wait to see it in action with some beefier rubber. It was also a great pleasure to see Rachel again and meet your new daughter. I'll forward info on the dive trip soon.

Arachnid J: Sorry we missed ya, although we did see folk with lots of "dessert cups"! LOL!

niv_d
08/18/2003, 11:13 AM
Hay Joe,
It was great fun meeting you and Kathy again, excellent choice for dinner. Next time when you drive by, give us a ring! BTW Any recommendations for new tires;Db; ;Db;????
David, I think Joe can offer you something in exchange for the roof racks (Hint: it is made of rubber….;Db;)

Unfortunately, it looks like I’ll have to take out the lift because of the grained noise I have now. A mechanic who I consulted with thinks it’s coming from one of the bearings in the rear differential, so to be on the safe side when I’ll go to the dealer I’ll probably take it out… :(

Joe_Black
08/22/2003, 04:18 PM
Just thought I'd post a couple pics from the beach social last weekend. Sympathy for those who couldn't make it, especially at the last minute. Remember, the next one is September 13th!

There's even a photo of Niv's lift job too! Check out the ALBUM! (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=3056&ppuser=234&thumb=1)

Heraclid
08/22/2003, 08:12 PM
Great shots! The full-size shot of Niv's VX is pretty cool, so Niv, if you're out there, your VX is my PC wallpaper! :-)

Joe_Black
08/22/2003, 08:22 PM
Thanks! My digital has the wimpiest flash I've ever seen. I actually shot Niv's VX using the "nightshot" feature. Usually it comes out blurry 'cause of the slower shutter speed. I'm an old manual SLR kinda guy, so I have yet to delve into the digital's manual to learn how to make it perform better. RTFM! LOL! I'll zip the photos and send 'em to ya via email so you can have the full-size originals. The shots from the lighthouse were my favorite!

Heraclid
08/22/2003, 08:37 PM
Thanks, that would be great. :-)

Thanks again for showing me around and hopefully I can make it in September too.

johnnyapollo
08/23/2003, 07:15 AM
Looks like I'll be joining you guys in September!

-- John

niv_d
08/23/2003, 09:34 AM
Hay Joe,
I sure like the light effect in the garage pic. Kinda like old yellow film efect. LOL! For the next meet My VX will be next to yours on the beach:cool!: :cool!: :cool!: :cool!:

-x-
08/23/2003, 08:30 PM
Dont forget about me fella's ;Db; ....x

Joe_Black
08/24/2003, 04:13 AM
We won't! We talked about you the whole time!:bgwg:

johnnyapollo
08/25/2003, 01:44 PM
Just made my reservation at the Ocean Court!..

See you guys on Friday/Saturday!

-- John

Heraclid
08/25/2003, 04:10 PM
I don't know if I'll be making it to this one, folks. I really wanted to, especially since we'll have more of a presence at the September meet and there will be some new faces (to me anyway). Would love to have been able to do the Uwharrie thing too. But it's probably just not in the cards this time around.

-x-
08/25/2003, 10:09 PM
trust it was all good talk :yesb:, but definately look forward to seein you guys again. This time around my eye candy will be more presentable ;Db; see ya's there....x

Joe_Black
08/26/2003, 04:47 AM
Eye candy?!?! Would this be the much awaited VX v.2.0 or are you bringing some of the two-legged variety? Hmmmm... ;)

darthgromit
09/07/2003, 08:32 PM
Until such time as i can acquire a vx, i am stuck with my exploder, but would love to see all the vx's. and since i live in daytona, the opportunity is just too good to pass up:)

Joe_Black
09/07/2003, 08:43 PM
With a handle that behooves a crafty canine of the Sith you'll have to make an appearance! ROTFL!

johnnyapollo
09/08/2003, 03:54 AM
I'm headed down on Friday morning... got a room at the Ocean Court...

Hey Joe, I think I've still got your cell number from the Orlando meet. I'll give you a ring as I'm driving down. We should do dinner Friday night. Bring those rotors... I'd like to see them.

Mapquest is telling me to go over to 10, then down to Daytona via 95. You think it's faster taking the interstate to Orlando via 4 then up to Daytona Beach?

-- Best, John

Joe_Black
09/08/2003, 05:14 AM
Dinner is on! We'll be there shortly after work, 7PM at the latest unless we can sneak out earlier.

75 via Turnpike to 4 will put you on the West side of Orlando, so you'll have to deal with worse traffic that way. When I was a former Daytona resident and went to Atlanta I always did the 95/10/75 thing, so that would be my recommendation. Not very scenic, then again I doubt 75 would make Viewmaster's Greatest Hits either.

I'll bring the rotors for ya to peruse. Actually tried to install them yesterday but didn't have a 1/2" 22mm impact socket to get the front calipers free and my 3/8" impact couldn't cut the proverbial mustard. So no caliper paint either. I'll just be minor-modless on yet another meet. Darn!

niv_d
09/08/2003, 09:47 AM
Try to avoid Orlando on Friday… Take the 10 295,95. I believe, since you’re leaving in the morning that JAX is not going to be a problem. Hey Joe, any plans for Saturday? A day on the beach?

johnnyapollo
09/08/2003, 10:06 AM
Hey Joe,

Got your email. Same number that I had so I'm set. Looks like I'm coming through Jax. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys!

-- John

Joe_Black
09/08/2003, 11:56 AM
Yep, Saturday will be just like last time with a breakfast round-up at the Denny's listed in the event info then onto the beach! Specifically the beach at Ponce Inlet near the lighthouse. If anyone has any questions be sure to look at the event info HERE (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/calendar.php?action=getinfo&eventid=78) or feel free to drop me a line.

Heraclid
09/08/2003, 02:08 PM
Hey johnnyapollo, maybe I'll see ya passing through. What time ya figure to hit Jax?

Joe_Black
09/12/2003, 12:51 PM
See y'all at the beach! ;Do; ;po; ;Dy; ;py; ;Db; ;pb;

Go HERE (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/calendar.php?action=getinfo&eventid=78) if you have no clue what this is all about!

niv_d
09/17/2003, 09:21 PM
Pictures uploaded in the gallery...;Do; ;Dp;

Heraclid
09/17/2003, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I just saw that and sent you a PM... nice pics and thanks a bunch!

JimRori
09/19/2003, 05:32 PM
I finally posted a couple pics I took at Daytona last weekend.
They're in the gallery.

Heraclid
09/19/2003, 07:27 PM
Thanks Jim! No prob - know you've been busy. If you didn't see them already, Niv posted a few of his meet pics last night. I can't wait to see how the pics of mine with the dunes backdrop turned out - it looked like some of the angles would turn out interesting!

johnnyapollo
09/21/2003, 08:12 AM
Try these...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=548&thumb=1

Heraclid
09/21/2003, 03:04 PM
Great shots! :-)

JasonDearing
09/22/2003, 08:38 AM
I saw those pics. Beautiful!
I felt really dumb getting pulled over in front of all you guys, but I'm not very good at driving slow :)
Hopefully, we'll see some of you at Uwharrie. I think we have to leave Friday around noon, so we may be a little late. Just hope we can get there before the Camp site closes!
Jason

Heraclid
09/22/2003, 02:54 PM
Hey Jason, did you get a chance to crank the front yet? Let me know when you get everything done and maybe I can drop by and take some pics to fill up the camera and I'll post 'em and get you prints if you want. Thanks again for your hospitality this past weekend!

The window is doing better all the time just from more use after the fix. It is just about perfect now. I may go out in a few minutes and do the other side before it gets dark. The white lithium stinks a little since I just did it Saturday, but works great (thanks Joe!).

AlaskaVX
09/22/2003, 03:32 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/548/33daytonawaves-med.jpg
And to think that while you were there, I was getting snowed on!