PDA

View Full Version : We made the Clunker list

rickshaw
07/27/2009, 08:56 AM
We are on the Cash for Clunker List.

The CAR Allowance Rebate System (CARS) is a $1 billion government program that helps consumers buy or lease a more environmentally-friendly vehicle. Consumers will be able to take advantage of this program and receive a $3,500 or $4,500 discount from the car dealer when they trade in their old vehicle and purchase or lease a new one.

The List (http://www.edmunds.com/cash-for-clunkers/eligible-vehicles.html)

JAMAS
07/27/2009, 09:00 AM
Apparently not us '99s. We are MUCH more environmentally friendly.:thumbup:

blacksambo
07/27/2009, 09:15 AM
'99's are 10 years old and beyond the value book rating system, and now fall into cars of particular interest and will begin to appreciate due to collector car status.

JAMAS
07/27/2009, 09:27 AM
'99's are 10 years old and beyond the value book rating system, and now fall into cars of particular interest and will begin to appreciate due to collector car status.

Boo Ya!:_beer:

vt_maverick
07/27/2009, 09:31 AM

http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/delusions.jpg

http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/dreams.jpg

http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/hope.jpg

LOL - I don't think you're an idiot btw - I totally hope you're right! ;)

VX crazy
07/27/2009, 10:48 AM
does it have to be driveable? or with engine?

iamironman
07/27/2009, 10:53 AM
Yes... the rules say you have to be able to drive it into the dealership, and you have to have owned it for 1 year to avoid fraud.

handeeman
07/27/2009, 01:29 PM
Yes... the rules say you have to be able to drive it into the dealership, and you have to have owned it for 1 year to avoid fraud.
And You have to prove you have had it insured for the past year. registered in your name.

circmand
07/27/2009, 02:31 PM
If 10 years is too old why do they have older Jags and other cars?

Hotsauce
07/27/2009, 03:48 PM
This in addition to or instead of the book value trade in we'd normaly get?

John C.

circmand
07/27/2009, 03:52 PM
the 2500 to 4500 is totak you can expect to receive. The vehicles are to be taken out of circulation so there is no trade in value since they cannot resell.

rowhard
07/27/2009, 06:34 PM
so would my 89 F150 trash hauler qualify? It looks like $%!^ and runs worst?

iamironman
07/27/2009, 06:49 PM
And You have to prove you have had it insured for the past year. registered in your name.

Oh, one more thing... you can't owe anything on it either.. the title has to be free and clear. No scams of sticking it to the banks, title loan company's (which are scams unto themselves anyways.. and I do see a way around this to screw a title loan co out of their 288% interest... )

iamironman
07/27/2009, 06:52 PM
This in addition to or instead of the book value trade in we'd normaly get?

John C.

If you could get more than $4500 (max on this program) why wouldn't you? That would keep free the funds for people that don't have a car/truck worth more than $4500.

don moore
07/27/2009, 10:32 PM
it has to be own by the person trading it in for atleast 1 year and to be insured for that year ...and after the deal it must become scrap.. and sent for scraping//and not to be on the road again.

don moore
07/27/2009, 10:51 PM
after working a major car center years ago ...I got a kick out of this cash for clunkers thing ..because dealers mark up the cars so much ...all you are doing is giving them a tax credit and they sell there cars for profit.. you get nothing..

when you see the tag it will say suggested manufactured retail price?? think about it ....suggested.. when the last time you got some thing for that ..most of the time things say ..SMRP.10.00. but you pay.7.99....then they add stuff like tires and radio and stripes.. and stuff.. and add them to the suggested price ..and add something like a ADM.. additional dealer markup..additional?.. wait you mean the SMRP is with a markup..hehe yup...plus the add ons are stuff that already on the car ..but you dont get them.. they took that stuff off to put on the extra stuff. on.then charge you for the new stuff also. the price includes the old stuff thats not on there.......lol.. now ..they are going to give you a cash for your clunker rebate...........

thanks for listening.... spelling might be off..

I buy cars for my friends ...the dealers ..see me and send the new car sales guys my way...lol

VXorado
07/27/2009, 10:58 PM
I'm tradin' for a PRIUS!!!

J/K :laughy:

vt_maverick
07/28/2009, 05:10 AM
after working a major car center years ago ...I got a kick out of this cash for clunkers thing ..because dealers mark up the cars so much ...all you are doing is giving them a tax credit and they sell there cars for profit.. you get nothing..

when you see the tag it will say suggested manufactured retail price?? think about it ....suggested.. when the last time you got some thing for that ..most of the time things say ..SMRP.10.00. but you pay.7.99....then they add stuff like tires and radio and stripes.. and stuff.. and add them to the suggested price ..and add something like a ADM.. additional dealer markup..additional?.. wait you mean the SMRP is with a markup..hehe yup...plus the add ons are stuff that already on the car ..but you dont get them.. they took that stuff off to put on the extra stuff. on.then charge you for the new stuff also. the price includes the old stuff thats not on there.......lol.. now ..they are going to give you a cash for your clunker rebate...........

thanks for listening.... spelling might be off..

I buy cars for my friends ...the dealers ..see me and send the new car sales guys my way...lol

Speaking of... I CAN'T WAIT to see this movie:

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=36653

vt_maverick
07/28/2009, 05:12 AM
it has to be own by the person trading it in for atleast 1 year and to be insured for that year ...and after the deal it must become scrap.. and sent for scraping//and not to be on the road again.

That seems incredibly wasteful to me. Removing perfectly fine cars from the road to crunch them and/or bury their parts-stripped remains in a landfill?

Oh I forgot - selling more fuel efficient cars will someday make up for it. :rolleyes:

iamironman
07/28/2009, 02:14 PM
That seems incredibly wasteful to me. Removing perfectly fine cars from the road to crunch them and/or bury their parts-stripped remains in a landfill?

Oh I forgot - selling more fuel efficient cars will someday make up for it. :rolleyes:

Actually, there was a show on I think discovery channel , on recycling, and it's something like 60% of cars in scrap yards get recycled into materials for new cars and 36% gets recycled into non auto materials and only about 4% gets sent to landfills as it is unrecyclable material... The 250,000 cars this $1 billion dollars is supposed to buy is supposed to save like 1 trillion dollars in oil over a 8-10 year period... because of taking off the road 18mpg (and less) cars, and because the minimum car that replaces it has to have a minimum of 5mpg better gas (than the ceiling of 18mpg) consumption. The more cars traded in that make less than 18mpg and the more cars bought that get more than 23mpg, the bigger the savings in oil spending over the years. That was from some "expert" making commentary on CNBC...

circmand
07/28/2009, 02:18 PM
From the begining of time the government has been spending tons of money to save money long term. If they are saving all this damn money how come we are paying more in taxes? They need to stop. I cant afford to save any more.

Its like a women who sees a $1000 dress on sale for $500 who buys it and comes home and says she saved $500. No you cost me $500.

Scott Harness
07/28/2009, 02:26 PM
Its like a women who sees a $1000 dress on sale for $500 who buys it and comes home and says she saved $500. No you cost me $500.

LOL...sort of...my wife does that trick:upsetgray

vt_maverick
07/28/2009, 02:48 PM
I cant afford to save any more.

:thumbup: That is the funniest thing I have read in a good while. :bgwo:

iamironman
07/28/2009, 04:04 PM

$500 for one dress!!! My whole wardrobe isn't worth $500... and I can't afford shoes, so I cut off my legs!

:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Cobrajet
07/28/2009, 04:24 PM
There is also a MPG difference requirement based on the type of vehicle being turned in versus the type being bought. My co-worker traded in his old Honda Pilot for a brand new Acura TL last week under this program ($3500 rebate) and just got a letter that stated that the TL did not qualify because the MPG difference was only five, and it had to be 6 or more. "Return the car or pay $3500 more." He's going to return the car, and then see if it shows up on their used car list! :yesy:

vt_maverick
07/29/2009, 05:32 AM
There is also a MPG difference requirement based on the type of vehicle being turned in versus the type being bought. My co-worker traded in his old Honda Pilot for a brand new Acura TL last week under this program ($3500 rebate) and just got a letter that stated that the TL did not qualify because the MPG difference was only five, and it had to be 6 or more. "Return the car or pay $3500 more." He's going to return the car, and then see if it shows up on their used car list! :yesy:

Ahhh bureaucracy at work. I wonder how much it's costing to have an army of auditors sit around somewhere and generate/mail letters for 1 MPG overages.

This is change we can believe in my a**. :p

Ldub
07/29/2009, 05:55 AM
$500 for one dress!!! My whole wardrobe isn't worth $500... and I can't afford shoes, so I cut off my legs!

:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

DUDE...that is some dark assed humor right there...:laughing:

If I didn't know your situation, I might have been appalled...:eek:

Keep the good thought Iron...:thumbup:

tom4bren
07/29/2009, 06:21 AM
"I got a kick out of this cash for clunkers thing ..because dealers mark up the cars so much ...all you are doing is giving them a tax credit and they sell there cars for profit.. you get nothing"

One of the local Stealerships is advertising that they will give you the rebate ... even if you don't trade in a clunker.

iamironman
07/29/2009, 08:30 PM
DUDE...that is some dark assed humor right there...:laughing:

If I didn't know your situation, I might have been appalled...:eek:

Keep the good thought Iron...:thumbup:

*snicker*

OMG!! I shocked Ldub!!! weeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

it's all life to me L, ups n downs, laugh and go off on people when it's down... whine and bitch when it's up, the more ya complaiin the longer the "Supreme Being" makes ya live... spilled milk/bridge water

Anita
07/30/2009, 05:21 PM
Cash for Clunkers... suspended.

I suppose they were expecting more "Clunker" VX's to be turned in and instead, the demand for them grew. :bla:

Ldub
07/30/2009, 10:31 PM
*snicker*

OMG!! I shocked Ldub!!! weeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

it's all life to me L, ups n downs, laugh and go off on people when it's down... whine and bitch when it's up, the more ya complaiin the longer the "Supreme Being" makes ya live... spilled milk/bridge water

Yep-yep...like acid off a ducks back...:thumbup:

Jolly Roger VX'er
07/31/2009, 05:33 AM
Cash for Clunkers... suspended.

WOW...it didn't take long to burn through that [Dr. Evil Voice "ON"]...One Beeellion dollllars...{insane/diabolical laughter}....[Dr. Evil Voice "OFF"].

circmand
07/31/2009, 07:18 AM
Cancel a program for being too succesful

Ldub
07/31/2009, 12:42 PM
Cancel a program for being too succesful

Yet they continue to fund LESS successful programs...Hmmmmm, what was I thinking of...:_thinking

Baldwin
08/10/2009, 09:54 AM
bunch of idiots in congress. This is supposed to keep high polluters off the road and they give them an incentive to get a new car. But it takes resources and ENERGY which burns GAS and OIL in order to recycle metals and plastics. EMMISSIONS are given off when they do this. Then because there are not enough parts at the junk yards/recycling centers, they will have to RE-manfacture NEW parts which ALSO require ENERGY and EMMISSIONS to make. They drain all the traded cars for clunkers of the oil, fill it with sand/salt/water and cease an engine that could be perfectly good! WHAT A WASTE! And WHY is my VX a clunker? I get 18 mpg on it. My wife's car gets 22 but is breaking down and it's NOT qualified? Stupid.

JAMAS
08/10/2009, 10:05 AM
.... Then because there are not enough parts at the junk yards/recycling centers, they will have to RE-manfacture NEW parts which ALSO require ENERGY and EMMISSIONS to make. ......

Actually....scrap/salvage yards are buying these "clunkers" and parting them out.

At least that is what a salvage yard guy told me.

He said they have bought a TON of cars. Each time I talk to him, its another 60, etc.

tom4bren
08/10/2009, 11:03 AM
They are supposed to be crushed.

I guess dismantled works just as good though ... look how well that worked out for the Army when they wanted to take the old flat fender jeeps off the road.

circmand
08/10/2009, 01:05 PM
broken down for parts but they pour liquid glass in the engine to keep the block from being used the shell are too be crushed plus any parts the dismantler does not want to remove

vt_maverick
08/10/2009, 01:18 PM
You know I saw an interesting report on the news last week that questioned the wisdom of launching this program in the midst of the restructuring of GM and Chrysler. Basically the point was that because thousands of American dealerships have no cars to sell, this environmental program is undermining the automotive market recovery by driving buyers towards Japanese and European manufacturers with tons of cars available for sale. The guy being interviewed stated that had we waited until GM and Chrysler were back up to complete production capacity BEFORE launching the program, the American auto industry would be getting a huge influx of capital as a "side effect" of this new environment policy.

circmand
08/10/2009, 02:33 PM
Not sure where they were but dealers in most of the USA were stuck with months worth of inventory on the lot with no one buying. If they had no cars to sell the program would not have been needed to kick start the auto sale market. Also I have seen news programs showing tons of cars in storage lots with no where to go.

vt_maverick
08/10/2009, 02:52 PM
I guess it depends on the location. I know I pass several dealerships on my way home every day that are down to fewer than 10-15 cars on their lot whereas they used to have a 100 or more. But maybe all those are being closed? I dunno...

rickshaw
09/25/2009, 04:38 PM
Official List of Vehicles Involved in the Cash for Clunkers Program

The following is a breakdown of the number of new vehicles and trade-in vehicles identified in transactions in the CARS system, by make, model, and model year. The information is current as of September 9, 2009. Note that this information reflects information submitted, but not necessarily reviewed or approved as qualifying transactions.

Download the list of trade-in vehicles (http://www.cars.gov/files/official-information/trade-in-vehicles.pdf)

Download the list of new vehicles (http://www.cars.gov/files/official-information/new-model-vehicles.pdf)

Official Cash for Clunkers trade-in list reveals oddities too strange to believe (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/24/shed-a-tear-for-clunkers-that-deserved-better/)

The official CARS trade-in list (page 79) reveals that there were (15) VXs traded-in.
1999 (9)
2000 (4)
2001 (2)

lasturbo
09/25/2009, 06:31 PM
More clunker tid-bits for ya...
Our Government at work:
Subject: Clunker math...

I guess I must be on the wrong page on this "clunker" stuff...

A vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons a year of gasoline. A vehicle at 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480 gallons a year.

So, the average clunker transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year. They claim 700,000 vehicles – so that's 224 million gallons per year.

That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil…
5 million barrels of oil is about ¼ of one day's US consumption. And 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at $75 per bbl.

So, we all just spent $3 billion...to save $350 million.

Hmmmmmmmmm. How good a deal was that?
But, I'm thinking that they’ll probably do a great job with health care, though!

and if GM had to file bankruptcy , where did they get the money to expand their manufacturing plant in China ???

Knivx
09/25/2009, 07:13 PM
A moment of silence for the lost vx's................................

And maybe a moment for the other sweet cars like the GNX and Aston martin and the vette's and 300zx's and etc.....

What the hell were people thinking?! They could've gotten alot more for these vehicles on trade in or selling private party. Lets hope those vx's at least get completely parted out instead of just scrapped. And lets hope, for their sake, we never run into the owner's who cashed them in!:mado:

I blame hippies. I'm all for conservation but come on people. Let's put down the bong and think this through.

pbkid
09/25/2009, 07:29 PM
I blame hippies. Let's put down the bong and think this through.

:clap:

don moore
09/26/2009, 12:21 AM
now to find out were the parts are??