PDA

View Full Version : Fan Clutch - Aftermarket or Factory - Help!

lasturbo
07/24/2009, 09:58 AM
It looks like my fan clutch/viscous is not working properly when the VX is at operating temperature and stop/go traffic. I wanted to find out if anyone has used an aftermarket one with no issues. The factory part from Merlin is $227.68 but checking at the O'Rielly's, Checker, and Autozones, the Torqflo and Hayden fan clutches are going for about $100. I don't want to cheap out on the cooling fan clutch if the factory one is the way to go (proper specs.etc). Thanks for any feedback.

Marlin
07/24/2009, 06:51 PM
It looks like my fan clutch/viscous is not working properly when the VX is at operating temperature and stop/go traffic. I wanted to find out if anyone has used an aftermarket one with no issues. The factory part from Merlin is $227.68 but checking at the O'Rielly's, Checker, and Autozones, the Torqflo and Hayden fan clutches are going for about $100. I don't want to cheap out on the cooling fan clutch if the factory one is the way to go (proper specs.etc). Thanks for any feedback.

Dude, get the torqflo, I paid under 100 at autozone, works like a champ!!! It sounds like a semi, and pulled so much dirt out of my radiator, you wouldn't believe it, but now, never over 180 degrees, even here where it is 100+ degrees.
Why buy an OEM one if it didn't even last 8 or 9 yrs?

iamironman
07/24/2009, 07:33 PM
hmmm...

Torqflo fan clutch, AutoZone, $94.99 Lifetime warranty...
Isuzu fan clutch from Isuzu, $227.68, (unknown warranty, but ya can't beat lifetime).

This is a classic case of a "No Brainer"

Even if AutoZone didn't honor the lifetime warranty 8 years from now... which is what I'd hope a product with a lifetime warranty would last at least as long as the Factory one has lasted, even if it lasts half as long (4 years) one could buy a secondTorqflo and still spend less than $227.68
And, according to Marlin, it does it's job extremely well.

lasturbo
07/24/2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks. I have heard of Hayden and they are reliable but never heard of Torqflo so at least some of the gang has some experience with it and, yes, it was a no brainer. Some good feedback....thanks!

Marlin
07/25/2009, 04:39 AM
Thanks. I have heard of Hayden and they are reliable but never heard of Torqflo so at least some of the gang has some experience with it and, yes, it was a no brainer. Some good feedback....thanks!

Have fun getting the OEM fan off, it was a PITA. My bolts were a bit rusted, and took some "coaxing" to get off. Needless to say, some bloody knuckles, a bit of cursing 30-45 minutes of my time and I was done. Having said that, I also have a Injen intake, so no factory airbox and piping to get in the way. That made it a bit easier. You made need to add some time to that if you have to take that out, which is another 20 min for removal and install.

tom4bren
07/25/2009, 05:25 AM
Ya might wanna read these 2 threads (one's embedded in the other).

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13520&highlight=electric+fan+conversion

Marlin
07/25/2009, 07:57 AM
I would never go to an electric fan, but by that description, my fan clutch is bad. My cooling is perfect, the VX sat for LONG periods of time while waiting for unnamed others to get strapped up obstacles....no cooling problems. I do not believe my OEM fan clutch worked since I bought in Dec, it was never warm enough to have a problem. But as I said, I rarely go over 180 degrees, even in traffic, wheeling, whatever.
I like the loud roar, sounds just like a semi and my neighbor's Rodeo:)

Lashsquat
07/25/2009, 08:41 AM
Beware on the after market Torqflo fan clutch...When the comment was made, "it sounds like a semi" he means it,IT REALLY DOES SOUND LIKE A SEMI! I mean this thing is round tight...When i had mine put on about 3 years ago, i thought, well... after a while it will get loose and quieting down...NOT!!..Im not sure but i think i lost some horse power as well due to the thing pulling all the time..but to be sure,it does cool well.

Marlin
07/25/2009, 09:20 AM
Beware on the after market Torqflo fan clutch...When the comment was made, "it sounds like a semi" he means it,IT REALLY DOES SOUND LIKE A SEMI! I mean this thing is round tight...When i had mine put on about 3 years ago, i thought, well... after a while it will get loose and quieting down...NOT!!..Im not sure but i think i lost some horse power as well due to the thing pulling all the time..but to be sure,it does cool well.

So they all sound like that....good, I see so many people adding fans, and I know the VX has cooling problems. Better to have a loud fan and cool engine than to suffer the alternative of having an overheated engine, or a block that always runs hot.

lasturbo
07/25/2009, 11:15 AM
Anyone else experienced a Hayden fan clutch or other on the VX?? The Torqflo sounds like it does the job but it "sounds" louder than stock.

crager34
07/25/2009, 11:53 AM
I went electric and have had a good experience with it. Cheap and easy too. About $20 for the fan out of a 94 Plymouth Voyager and $60 for the relay switch.

VX crazy
07/25/2009, 12:10 PM
I think I need to swap out mine as well, I dont care how loud it is as long as it cools. In this heat we are having here mine easily gets up to 211, cools down to 198 or so if I keep moving. Is this an easy thing to do? Anyone have the 'how to' on it?

deermagnet
07/25/2009, 04:10 PM
Don't forget to read this fan clutch service bulletin-
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx/fanclutch.gif (http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx/fanclutch.gif)

Mark

Marlin
07/25/2009, 05:38 PM
Don't forget to read this fan clutch service bulletin-
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx/fanclutch.gif (http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx/fanclutch.gif)

Mark
Goodpoint, the fan install instructions also mention that for a reminder.

lasturbo
08/06/2009, 06:16 PM
Well, I went with the Hayden fan (#2672) from Pep Boys as they had it in stock. They sold it to me for $85.99 with a lifetime warranty so you can't beat that. The four bolts came off with no problem and slid the old one out, transferred the fan, and remounted according to the bulletin the site has provided. She is now running below the middle to the middle of the temp guage in traffic and does not sound loud to me like the claims of the Torqflo. I am just happy it does not run hot anymore in stop and go traffic!! Thanks for the assist and feedback gang!!

AZOutlaw
09/29/2009, 08:07 PM
I had my fan clutch replaced today by my mechanic and the fan is now much louder when I step on the gas. After reading the comments here it seems like it may just be Torqflo model, but does anyone know how to tell if this is the reason why it it is so loud, or if it something I should be concerned about mechanically?

VXorado
09/30/2009, 05:20 PM
I replaced my fan clutch with the torqflo model last month and its much louder than before. I got used to it after a couple weeks and I'm happy that it keeps my engine cool. I think mine is getting quieter but it may just be in my head

There's a possibility that the fan clutch is faulty and never disengages. I doubt it but you can check by rotating the fan blade when the engine is cold. If it doesn't rotate, then the fan clutch is locked up and is faulty.

lasturbo
09/30/2009, 11:09 PM
The Hayden I purchased is quiet and not loud to my hearing (in fact I cannot tell the difference between the stock I replaced with the Hayden at 139k). I guess we need to put a Torqflo and a Hayden side by side and compare db's......

AZOutlaw
10/01/2009, 07:43 PM
thanks VXorado!...fan blade turns, isn't locked up. I'll just get used to the noise, but I do feel like I lost some hp

VXorado
10/01/2009, 08:35 PM
thanks VXorado!...fan blade turns, isn't locked up. I'll just get used to the noise, but I do feel like I lost some hp.

No problem, I felt a little loss of power too. It makes sense because if the old fan clutch wasn't working, then it wasn't pulling power from the engine to spin faster. If you drive around long enough with a broken fan clutch, you could notice a difference in power after replacing it.

VXorado
10/01/2009, 08:37 PM
The Hayden I purchased is quiet and not loud to my hearing (in fact I cannot tell the difference between the stock I replaced with the Hayden at 139k). I guess we need to put a Torqflo and a Hayden side by side and compare db's......

I bet mines louder than yours... :bgwo: