PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Noise Fron Tranny On Acceleration

crotchrocket
07/21/2009, 05:31 AM
After some fairly rough terrain and some clay / mud etc im getting a nasty noise from the front end. Best describes as a cross between metal vibration and grinding. i've only noticed at slow speed, i.e off the line as under normal acceleration it doesnt do it. Its doing it in 2wd

I got under it last night and visually the only thing i could see that was odd was the front drive shaft on the transpher case (from the transpher case towards the front of the car) it had no rubber gaitors (boots) over the universal joints. my first thought is that craps got in their?? Is it supposed to be covered up? it looks like it should?

Half shafts and CV's look fine on the front end, theres a bit of tranny slack but nothing major.

Could it be gearbox?

etlsport
07/21/2009, 05:43 AM
sure its the trans? first things i would do is grease the driveshaft to push any crap that got in the joints out, then i would check the front brakes for any kind of rocks or debris caught between the rotor and dust shield, if you got deep enough its possible something could have gotten into your differential too?

Triathlete
07/21/2009, 01:18 PM
Also if you are running Trooper skid plates, sometimes they bend and make contact with the front of the front driveshaft upon acceleration.

crotchrocket
07/21/2009, 01:45 PM
had a good look around it this evening. cant see anything apart from one of the boots on the front propshaft has lost its retaining band, however its damn tight on there.

The hole front end seems quit 'clunky' and theres a few clunks from the front Diff when rotating the slack in the front propshaft back and forth.

I also got rid of a load of solid clay that was stuck above the diff etc.

very anoying as its not something obviouse!!!!!

crotchrocket
07/22/2009, 03:20 AM
anyone??

more messing around today, its a definate grinding noise on acceleration that gets alot worse when the front wheels are engaged. In 2wd its only realy noticable at low speed.

I was remembering also that a few weeks back i was getting some 'snatching' on the front end with a jolt and aclonk in the transmision, its a similar place the noise is coming from.

Could the drive shaft CV joints be knackered or the front diff ?

Need to disconnect the front end to see if it still makes the noise but locking hubs aren't cheap :(

crotchrocket
07/24/2009, 01:33 AM
Come on peeps any ideas!! ??

there's variouse noises from the front over speed bumps and i think it gets worse when turning so i recon its the CV joints.

Got some free wheel hubs so will fit them, disengage the front drive train and see if the noise persists.

alterastro
07/24/2009, 03:23 AM
James, jack the front up and spin the wheels, whilst laying under it (Use good axle stands!!!). It will allow you to locate the noise.

There are many options... On my Pajero there is another bearing where the drive shaft goes through the knuckle (I think its called a needle bearing). That disintegrated on mine and gava very similar noise to the one you describe. I'll have a look in the manual and see if there is something similar.

Cheers

Nick

alterastro
07/24/2009, 03:28 AM
Yes, It's the same as the Pajero. Have a look at the attached - item 6 is the one that had gone on my paj that caused the racket you describe...

Nick :smilewink

crotchrocket
07/24/2009, 04:19 AM
Thanks mate. Got to go to claire's mums for the weekend :rollb2:

so i'll fit the hubs and play with the wheels on monday night.

Ldub
07/24/2009, 05:04 AM
Thanks mate. Got to go to claire's mums for the weekend :rollb2:

Does she live in a castle too?...:smilewink

crotchrocket
07/24/2009, 06:55 AM
lol, nah shes in a normal house in Nottingham :D

crotchrocket
07/24/2009, 06:55 AM
Yes, It's the same as the Pajero. Have a look at the attached - item 6 is the one that had gone on my paj that caused the racket you describe...

Your a star!! thanks alot nick! Plus thos would only be ?16 each ! http://www.milneroffroad.com/img/productImages/9300.jpg

crotchrocket
07/28/2009, 04:48 AM
i've put the manual wheel hubs on and disconnected the front end transmission and ****!!!! its still making the same griding noise :( No idea what it is.

There's noises all over the place from slack in the drive train and i can't pinpoint one that might be causing this noise under power. It's got to be either the transpher case, gear box or rear propshaft i suppose ??

Ldub
07/28/2009, 04:59 AM
How about checking the front wheel bearings...:_wrench:
Forgive me if this was already mentioned, but with all the muddin' you do, it's a distinct possibility.

alterastro
07/28/2009, 05:00 AM
James, even with the manual hubs on the drive shafts may well still be turning. Have you jacked the front up and laid under it whilst someone spins a wheel?

Nick

crotchrocket
07/28/2009, 05:01 AM
yep, took some video last night , Will up load it now.

crotchrocket
07/28/2009, 05:15 AM
HERE, there's noise from the passenger hub and the front diff. Also if i rotate the rear propshaft there is a noise coming from the back of the transpher case and possibly the gearbox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B914U8eTIk

alterastro
07/28/2009, 01:50 PM
It's possibly a mix of two or three things! If you hold the wheel, do you have any play on the driveshaft either rotationally or in and out? The play and noise does sound like UJ's. Have you checked them? And the needle bearing could still be to blame?

alterastro
07/28/2009, 02:01 PM
Also, on the offchance, have you seen this thread.... http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=9674

Nick

crotchrocket
07/29/2009, 01:01 AM
The more i listen to this noise (twice a day) the more it sounds like a rock touching a propshat, you know a kinda lathe noise ???? Maybe something is loose and theres movement in the tranny causing it to hit something but i did have a good look round. There is movement in the transher case lever but not alot on accelleration arghhhhhhhhhhh

alanbradley
07/29/2009, 01:12 PM
Damn, I was hoping to find you'd sussed this :(

I can't even suggest anything else and I'd say Nick knows way more than me!

A

crotchrocket
07/30/2009, 04:10 AM
DOH Nightmare

Also, i just checked the gear box fluid and there's way too much. Dont really know how to find the problem

Ldub
07/30/2009, 08:36 AM
DOH Nightmare

Also, i just checked the gear box fluid and there's way too much. Dont really know how to find the problem

Dude...did you follow this procedure as if it were religion...only more important?...:_wrench:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/fluid1.png

Temp...etc., it's all important...:_wrench:

crotchrocket
07/30/2009, 10:13 AM
Dude...did you follow this procedure as if it were religion...only more important?...:_wrench:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/fluid1.png

Temp...etc., it's all important...:_wrench:

no i didnt thanks for that dude!!

Ldub
07/30/2009, 10:36 AM
no i didnt thanks for that dude!!

Oh wait, you JDM fellows have a dipstick don't you?

Then all the same apply (Idling in N, cycle through the gears, temp, etc.), but just check your stick, instead of the level hole in the pan...:_wrench:

alterastro
07/30/2009, 03:30 PM
James, if you wanna come down over the weekend, we can have looksie together? I'm out Saturday, but free Friday, Sunday and Monday.

Nick :yesy:

crotchrocket
08/03/2009, 05:50 AM
Thansk mate, very kind of you. However Its sorted :D :D :D Finally got to my Dads place in the workshop and turned out to be a bent up skit plate vibrating on the exhaust under tourque. Thank frig for that !!!!!

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1122&d=1249303771

alterastro
08/03/2009, 08:13 AM
LOL! Thats a result then! Cool!

Nick

alanbradley
08/04/2009, 11:00 AM
Phew! Nice to see someone with a skid pan more mangled than mine too...

A