PDA

View Full Version : Half moon- what did you use to replace the gooey weather seal?

IsuZOOM
07/30/2003, 08:25 AM
I'm ready to reinstall the half moon (after using black caulk to seal the hell out of the camera and that small rectangle piece - this camera better not break on me!)

What have you used to replace the foamy-sticky-weatherproof seal around the half moon? Can OEM stuff be found?

paultvx
07/30/2003, 10:53 AM
You should be able to find similar double sided foam tape from most auto parts stores. The ones made by 3M are the best and are available in different thicknesses. For OEM, you may want to try parts.com (offline right now). It'll probably be sorted under "collision". Search on part.net is a bit tricky... might have to get creative on your choice of keywords.

I just check the VX parts listing doc I have. No part or part number is listed for the OEM adhesive. Looks like generic adhesive tape is the way to go.

IsuZOOM
07/31/2003, 12:35 PM
neither part.com nor part.net sell auto parts. I think you mean www.parts.com

I found the half moon itself for about $100, which I assume includes the weather seal stuff. I also emailed St Charles, I'll post what he tells me.

paultvx
07/31/2003, 12:50 PM
Yup... I meant parts.com. Typo, sorry.

I'd just use 3M double sided adhesive from the local auto parts store. It's much cheaper. Buying a new halfmoon is overkill unless yours is damaged or want a spare one.

The 3M stuff comes in different thicknesses and bond strengthes... it's basically the same as the OEM stuff... it's just not pre-cut. Clean the surface really well with rubbing alcohol before you stick it on.