PDA

View Full Version : New Member Questions/Intro

BoarderCROSS2000
07/16/2009, 01:13 PM
Howdy All,

I'm Jeff Smith and am planning on having a full fledged VehiCROSS addiction very soon. I'm in NorCal and my past addiction involved one sporty little BMW 318ti hatchback that now tops 250,000 miles. Doesn't do too well in the local Tahoe Mtns except on the twisties so I'm going TOD!

Have been searching for the right VX for about a month now. I've been going back and forth a bit between getting a high mileage fixer vs a pristine low miles version and I think I'm leaning away from the fixers. The difference in asking prices (between garage queen and fixer) is in the thousands and I'm sure I could do alot with that difference in mods but... I'm way too anal about my toys and the fixers seem to have lots of cosmetic problems that might be problematic.

If I was ready today, as in fully funded, I'd go see Keith's VX in OR, but alas, I must wait a few more months. There seems to be a few out there at dealers but not that many in good shape. I think my preference is to buy from a vehicross.info member, someone who has been an enthusiast and has taken pride in their ride. Its pretty obvious to me that this is one enthusiast worthy vehicle, one that I'll be able to embrace and really get into. I was fairly convinced about my choice of truck having a distant cousin with good experience in ownership. Perusing through this site has all but sealed the deal for me. Now its just a matter of patience and timing.

It looks like I may have to buy out of state... I'm thinking anything West of Dallas and Denver that would allow me to fly and drive(I'm in Sacramento, CA). Is anyone familiar with the process of registering/smogging a out of state car in California. Anyone aware of what emissions controls are on the VX?

It looks like the most common problems to look for are the dreaded windows, shifter handle and hood insert. I'll be requiring a full mechanical inspection of anything I buy but am interested to know what should be looked at specifically. I'll post this email elsewhere now so that folks can reply to me if needed. Thanks for the great site and am looking forward to getting in the club soon.

Jeff

JAMAS
07/16/2009, 01:45 PM
I would check : http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12867&highlight=tsb to see a list of the TSBs so that you can read through what is common and not to worry about.

Then: CarFax Report

Then I would keep in mind the common things that have an easy solution:
Window problem (SBC Bracket) fixes. Not usually an "If", but a "When"
Squeaky over bumps is just inexpensive sway bar bushings, not shocks.
Most rattles can be explained back to something loose.

Then I would check the following items to make sure they are up to snuff:
Belts - Last changed (by whom)
tires - tread left - tire wear (alignment)
fluids - Last changed, with what
gauges - operating properly (Gas guages on several VXs tend to float)
Engine cleanliness (oil leaks, etc)
Check floor where stored for puddles, etc
suspension
exhaust
overall undercarriage
windows operate (motor, not tilt)
hood latch
door locks
head lights
interior condition
seats work (adjust, etc)
windshield wipers
radio
overal paint quality (scratches, sun damage, dents, dings, etc)
Listen to the engine for noises.

From there, I would check the oil level and determine if that VX has a serious oil comsuming problem, or just a minor one. (Almost) All of us have some oil comsumption. Some is 1 quart every 7,000 miles, some is 1 quart every 250 miles. You want the first.

Ask lots of questions and dont pick the first one you see/drive just because you fall in love with the idea.

Hope that helps.

Gussie2000
07/16/2009, 02:02 PM
Jeff !

The VX suffers all sort of gremlins,the most common beside the window binding & hood insert is the oil burning.
Unfortunately isuzu 3.5L engines from 99 thru 01 were designed with a flaw in its development.
High porcentage of all isuzu trucks with this engine burns oil which caused a good bunch of them go boom.
Our beloved VehiCROSS didn't escape from this tragedy & because of that ALL members that suffers with this issue keeps an very tigh monitoring on the oil level.
This is the only thing i can have you aware off,besides this the VehiCROSS suffers with issues as any other vehicules.
But the VehiCROSS is a very reliable truck as all isuzu trucks.
We have members running way over the 100K miles & running very strong so as long as you disciplined your self about the oil monitoring you can count a 100 % with the VX to go ANY where you want with no fear.
Again,welcome to the hood & good luck with you quest for the right VX.

circmand
07/16/2009, 02:11 PM
But I beleive I read on here that the 99s had most of the oil issues with only a few in 2000 &2001. My 2001 only burrns oil when the PVC valve is bad. That is why I replace the PVC valve every time I do an oil change. Thus far have never even needed to add a full quart between oil changes.

rowhard
07/16/2009, 02:42 PM
Welcome to the addiction.

Keith, Your selling your VX?

There was a 99 ironman listed here on craigs list a week or so ago in Yelm WA, 120 miles north of Portland. If it is the one I am thinking, orginal owner, seems like last time I saw it was in good condition. 67k miles I think, new tranny, Be happy to check it out for you.

Oops, sorry, that craigs list has expired.

there is this one in Tacoma. http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/1272189968.html

iamironman
07/16/2009, 04:12 PM
But I beleive I read on here that the 99s had most of the oil issues with only a few in 2000 &2001. My 2001 only burrns oil when the PVC valve is bad. That is why I replace the PVC valve every time I do an oil change. Thus far have never even needed to add a full quart between oil changes.

Circ is right... it's the '99's with the most oil consumption problems, and/or blown engines... even the '99 Trooper's with the same engine... Troopers with the available 3.2L and Rodeos of that era (3.2L only) also have had virtually no oil/blown engine problems... I have researched this EXTENSIVELY... belee dat!

Gussie2000
07/16/2009, 04:28 PM
Probably you guys had some luck with your engines,but i also have two coworkers that have a 2001 rodeo & 2000 trooper,they do burn oil.

Some engines don't burn oil at all,others just a few & others a lot.

Remember that this 3.5L engine were all the same 'till 2002.

With the introduction of the 2002 axiom the 3.5L suffered significant improvement because isuzu redesigned the engine.

circmand
07/16/2009, 04:42 PM
about that on here a while back and the stats bear out what I said.

iamironman
07/16/2009, 05:11 PM
Probably you guys had some luck with your engines,but i also have two coworkers that have a 2001 rodeo & 2000 trooper,they do burn oil.

Some engines don't burn oil at all,others just a few & others a lot.

Remember that this 3.5L engine were all the same 'till 2002.

With the introduction of the 2002 axiom the 3.5L suffered significant improvement because isuzu redesigned the engine.

Not quite Gussie... they fixed (somewhat, not completely) engines built from may of 2000 to april of 2001... and they completely fixed any engines made after May of 2001 thru May of 2003... I think it had to do with the piston and cylinder design... Believe that has to do with the Vin "X" being the 8th digit (in VX's, and Axioms and Troopers). Also you aren't "supposed" to be able to use an Axiom engine AFTER May of '02 because they used a different Tranny... BUT! when my mechanic had both engines out of my VX he pointed out that the '02 Axiom engine I had (which was pre May '02), had two sets of bolt mounting for either tranny on the housing where the tranny mounted. Sure there will be some 2000 and 2001's with oil problems but not NEARLY (per capita) as many as the 99's... as far as I saw in my research this also held true for the Troopers thos same years.. way more blown engines in 99's and early 2000's than any other year.

EDIT: In fact here's the poll thread... http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=3756&highlight=engine+poll
Compare how many production total '99's there were to '00's and '01's... and see the disparity in more 99's blown than in any other model year. I personally had two '99 engines go... the original VX motor and a '99 Trooper motor... I now have the correct motor... (lol)

OK .. enough thread jacking.. Sorry

Gussie2000
07/16/2009, 05:29 PM
Not quite Gussie... they fixed (somewhat, not completely) engines built from may of 2000 to april of 2001... and they completely fixed any engines made after May of 2001 thru May of 2003... I think it had to do with the piston and cylinder design... Believe that has to do with the Vin "X" being the 8th digit (in VX's, and Axioms and Troopers). Also you aren't "supposed" to be able to use an Axiom engine AFTER May of '02 because they used a different Tranny... BUT! when my mechanic had both engines out of my VX he pointed out that the '02 Axiom engine I had (which was pre May '02), had two sets of bolt mounting for either tranny on the housing where the tranny mounted. Sure there will be some 2000 and 2001's with oil problems but not NEARLY (per capita) as many as the 99's... as far as I saw in my research this also held true for the Troopers thos same years.. way more blown engines in 99's and early 2000's than any other year.

EDIT: In fact here's the poll thread... http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=3756&highlight=engine+poll
Compare how many production total '99's there were to '00's and '01's... and see the disparity in more 99's blown than in any other model year. I personally had two '99 engines go... the original VX motor and a '99 Trooper motor... I now have the correct motor... (lol)

OK .. enough thread jacking.. Sorry

Well yes,that's what i meant in the 1rst place though.

I read the same info you did about that "FIX" isuzu claimed trying to make the engine with less weight the added to the 99 engine smallers cylinders which caused to make the engine burn more oil then the average.

Anyhow my primary intention was to alert our mew fellow member about the engine oil issue.

deermagnet
07/16/2009, 06:06 PM
I don't recall hearing about any differences in the engines in any Vehicross. Isuzu says that all Vehicri got the same engine before it was modified-
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/imgs/enginemod.gif

If you look up part numbers for the pistons and piston rings, the same pistons and rings were used in all Vehicross engines. If ya look up the Trooper engine, there's new part numbers for the pistons and rings starting in 2002.

I've been around from the start and I don't believe these engines were known to use much oil early on. Many owners did not see excessive oil use till 50-80K miles. I noticed mine at ~65K. I remember posts about the oil issue and I posted about how mine was not affected yet at Club VMag. Then it showed up later. The 99's have the most complaints 'cuz they've been around longer with more miles on 'em. Not all blown engines were low oil related. For those with low miles and no oil issues, keep a close eye on it. It may show up at any time now.

Mark

BoarderCROSS2000
07/17/2009, 12:58 PM
Good stuff to consider. Makes me think getting a warranty might not be such a bad idea!

I'm used to oil consumption, but the engine failure issue sure is scary. I don't know if a leak down test would show signs of eminent failure but i'd get one any way as part of the pre purchase inspection.

Anyway thanks for the detail.

Jeff

circmand
07/17/2009, 01:27 PM
Good stuff to consider. Makes me think getting a warranty might not be such a bad idea!

I'm used to oil consumption, but the engine failure issue sure is scary. I don't know if a leak down test would show signs of eminent failure but i'd get one any way as part of the pre purchase inspection.

Anyway thanks for the detail.

Jeff

a warranty may not be too bad but finding one that is not a total rip off is not easy. Check requirements you may pay for one and then find out your vehicle was not qualified in the 1st place

gergmon
01/14/2010, 07:57 PM
There is a Proton Yellow one with 93k here in Scottsdale,AZ. Looks like it has been taken care of and is at a dealership. Look it up on Phoenix Craigslist. Best of luck!

Knivx
01/14/2010, 08:34 PM
It kinda seems to me that he already has a 2000 ebony.

BigSwede
01/15/2010, 08:12 AM
Were these stats corrected for mileage? I would assume the 99s are going to have more miles than the newer years...