PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Minor System Upgrade

VXNIT
07/15/2009, 06:36 PM
Well, many have had isues with CD player but I have fortunately have not, however all speakers are blown and this is what I have decided to do. Please give thoughts....

Keep OEM head Unit(It works fine and really don't want to loose CD changer)
Go Components Infinity System in Front with 6.5 Woofer, SailTweeter
Eliminate rears, just disconnect
Add Infinity Self Powered Basslink 10 Subwoofer. Under 500$

etlsport
07/15/2009, 06:41 PM
thumbs up on the basslink... do you need RCA connections for it though? if you do you will have to upgrade your head unit.. a new headunit will get you better sound anyway, a head unit with higher output power than stock will give you better clarity at higher volumes, plus it will reduce the risk of blowing your speakers from distortion.. iirc you can find some eclipse head units that will work with the stock cd changer, i would never trust that thing enough base my sound system off of it though

VXNIT
07/15/2009, 07:20 PM
Won't require RCA's. I agree new head unit would be best but I really don't want to losse 6 disc changer. I thought initialy the stock system was decent but unable to handle any base and blew my cardboard speakers from Isuzu. I hope componets will tqaek care of mids and highs and basslink feed my lows. Any idea of other head units I would not have to loose 6 disc function wiht?

etlsport
07/15/2009, 07:32 PM
not sure which unit worked with it, just that a past member james1---- (those - should be numbers, but forget what they are)... i test drove his VX and he had an eclipse CD/DVD head unit that worked with the factor CD changer in the lower din slot

just a thought, why do you want to keep the stock changer? almost all head units these days are mp3 capable.. and one mp3 CD holds as much at 7-8 regular cds

Triathlete
07/15/2009, 08:03 PM
Get a head unit that is IPod compatable (they come at all price ranges) and load ALL your CDs to an IPod, connect to head unit and you have the best of both worlds only better. Better sound from a better head unit and ALL your music at your touch (vs. 6 CDs).:bwgy:
Then get a $10 pocket to replace the CD changer and gain a little storage also.

Ldub
07/16/2009, 12:47 AM
IMO...$ave a little longer & ditch the underpowered HU & the 6 disk....which is eventually gonna fail & make you wish you had ditched it...:smilewink

Larger speakers in the doors can be made to fit, with a little cutting of the stock speaker mount & a custom fabbed spacer ring...:_wrench:
Also, the remote crossover fits behind the door panel, & I took the E-Z way, & mounted the tweet in an external pod in the stock loca...:smack:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/cs2_1.jpg