PDA

View Full Version : headlights on chime

etlsport
07/14/2009, 09:46 AM
so after i had all my alternator issues, my headlights on chime never worked properly.. just not getting around to troubleshooting.. anyone dealt in this area before? i get no sound from it at all, and just realized that when i get into the vehicle and put the key in, i get no sound either.. anyone ever tried to test the buzzer? i have mine out of the VX and have arrived at a few conclusions

the pin order goes

1 2

there should be a steady buzz when the combination is
1 ground
2 ground
3 power
4 open
5 open
6 open

but i tried hooking it up to a battery in that combination and no sound.. havent had a chance to test the wiring harness yet.. but anyone have any tips for this?

tom4bren
07/14/2009, 10:02 AM
I never noticed. I'll have to check it out for ya.

etlsport
07/14/2009, 10:12 AM
also curious if anyone has a part number for it.. id imagine its common to a few isuzus

Gussie2000
07/14/2009, 12:01 PM
also curious if anyone has a part number for it.. id imagine its common to a few isuzus

Is time to call merlin

I do believe the chime from the rodeos has to be the same.
Just hit any junk yark with any 98/02 stripped rodeos/passport to match them & figure out if the pin configuration is the same.

Did you had in there a nuclear reactor as a alternator ? LOL

etlsport
07/14/2009, 02:55 PM
heh it would seem so.. it was a 150 amp alternator and the regulator fried so it was putting 17-19 volts through my system.. it fried my rear camera, both headlights, some of the alternator wiring, a few fuses, my battery and power mirrors... only thing left to fix now is this headlight chime

nobody i talked to has a listing for it on the VX... i did find the listing for it on the trooper but its listed as a dealer only item.. guess ill be calling merlin.. i just want to make sure that this is actually the part thats gone bad before i spend the money on a new one.. just the A/C relay was like 30 bucks im a little afraid of how much this little thing will cost (and trying to decide if its worth even replacing)

Gussie2000
07/14/2009, 05:17 PM
heh it would seem so.. it was a 150 amp alternator and the regulator fried so it was putting 17-19 volts through my system.. it fried my rear camera, both headlights, some of the alternator wiring, a few fuses, my battery and power mirrors... only thing left to fix now is this headlight chime

nobody i talked to has a listing for it on the VX... i did find the listing for it on the trooper but its listed as a dealer only item.. guess ill be calling merlin.. i just want to make sure that this is actually the part thats gone bad before i spend the money on a new one.. just the A/C relay was like 30 bucks im a little afraid of how much this little thing will cost (and trying to decide if its worth even replacing)

Check this guys from north bergen in NJ,he's stripping a friend's VX ( london1900 ) he can probably pull the chime for you.

When i think about all what that alternator did to your horse i just have to say you were very lucky the VX didn't catch up on fire eric.

tom4bren
07/15/2009, 08:25 AM
Sorry Eric,

I checked mine. Both the headlight & iggy switch chime work fine so I'm not going to take it apart.:)

Tom

etlsport
07/20/2009, 07:55 AM
OUCH! talked to merlin.. part is $105 through merlin, and backordered 6-8 weeks

the good news is that rodeos and troopers 95-97 have the same part

Gussie2000
07/20/2009, 01:10 PM
OUCH! talked to merlin.. part is $105 through merlin, and backordered 6-8 weeks

the good news is that rodeos and troopers 95-97 have the same part

That's good news though.
Saturday while in NJ we can hit any junk yark near by & grab one.

Y33TREKker
07/20/2009, 01:43 PM
I hate to say it, but if you had the kind of voltage and current spikes that would take out your headlights, the solid state circuitry in that warning module most likely didn't stand a chance.

It looked to me though like a few different combinations of inputs could tell you whether the module was operational, and that having an input on each like you listed in your first post wouldn't be necessary. It looks like one combination you could try would be to apply Power (+12 Volts) to terminal (6), Ground to terminal (2), and Ground to terminal (1). If that doesn't work (simulating that your driver's door is open), the circuit is most likely shot.

etlsport
07/21/2009, 07:32 AM
yep i tested it a few different ways, pretty sure its fried, so i just need to find a VX, a rodeo or a trooper from 95-97 and get a new one, if anyone sees somethin being parted out let me know!

the part number is 8-97135562

Gussie2000
07/21/2009, 08:36 AM
yep i tested it a few different ways, pretty sure its fried, so i just need to find a VX, a rodeo or a trooper from 95-97 and get a new one, if anyone sees somethin being parted out let me know!

the part number is 8-97135562

Hi eric!
Sunday i went to this junk yard next to the mets new city field stadium to grab a window relay,they have a 95 rodeo in there.
If you want i can drive by saturday morning on my way to NJ & ask if they still have it.
PM you cell so i can call you with the price.
Gustavo