PDA

View Full Version : ok I'm a beliver now

drgnrdr
07/11/2009, 01:13 PM
Back to black is amazing 'nuf said

VX KAT
07/11/2009, 02:51 PM
Except when (if) you go down a dirt road....then it's like a dust magnet....just so you know....
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN1567.jpg

vt_maverick
07/11/2009, 02:54 PM
Let the flaming begin... ;)

Grif
07/11/2009, 07:40 PM
I used back to black on my other car.... lasted a few days then turned grey again.

I recently purchased "refinish restorer" from a company called Ditcheck and Sons who run a yahoo based web store. My "Next Day Air" delivery took 9 days, several emails, and a couple phone calls. Granted, they refunded my expidited shipping fee, (which was more than the product itself). But 9 days later I received the product. It looked like it was drop shipped from Illinois, so dont count on Ditcheck to actually have product in stock, they drop ship from whereever they can find the product, which appears to be manufactured in the EU.

I know there are tons of reviews on using this stuff, so I'll add my quick 2 cents.

First application, I prolly used too much, and it looked "streaky". I let it penetrate for 30 mins or so and applied a nother very light coat. I was very pleased with that at the time, but the next morning, it REALLY shined up great. Took about an hour and a half to get decent coverage on those first two passes with it to get the streaks out. Guess it takes longer to realy sink into into the poly properly, what kinda wax may have been on it etc. Might also depend on the condition of the poly to begin with.

I ran into some rain and minor puddles today, and that had no effect whatsover, the stuff just shrugged it off.

Worried about lint, I used the finest microfiber cloths I had. That was a mistake because the cloths are ruined, that stuff simply wont come out of a cloth in a wash. Today, I noticed a few barely noticable streaks and a blotch or two so I went at it again VERY lightly doing the entire cladding again this time with a cheap red shop type cloth you find at walmart. Apllication time was less than five minutes, and the whole process was much easier. No obvioius streaking or blotching. This time it just soaked right in,and looks fantastic. I suspect tomorrow it will look even better.

Back to Black has nothing on this stuff.... sure, it will shine up in 5 mins, but will shine off in a day or two.

Given the performance characteristics of restorer, I expect it to last a month or more after I finally got it applied to my satisfaction.

VX KAT
07/11/2009, 09:33 PM
I used back to black on my other car.... lasted a few days then turned grey again.

I recently purchased "refinish restorer" from a company called Ditcheck

Given the performance characteristics of restorer, I expect it to last a month or more after I finally got it applied to my satisfaction.

There are probably at least 10 of us that have now used Restore/Refinish, all with fantastic results. One thing to note is that this stuff does not wear off like any of the other products, this is more like a clear coat or sealant, rather than just a treatment.

I just did mine last month. I used a microfiber cloth to apply it instead of any type of paintbrush and I didn't get any swirls, streaks, runs or any kind of marks, just uniform application, nice satin finish. I did 2 coats, the stuff is fantastic....although it didn't cover my gasoline stain as I'd hoped.

My microfiber cloth was hard & crunchy after it dried, so it's definitely a coating. My cat tried to jump on the car and left scratch marks on the cladding :mado:.....I think they'll disappear with a touch up coating of R/R.

Chopper
07/12/2009, 05:36 AM
Just to add to it......My coat of refinish/restore , is now 12.5 months old. It has been washed maybe twenty times....this is Florida...lots of sun, Sand, and Salt. It looks as good today, as it did 12 months ago...It's a German product, and I ordered it from an outfit in Germany. It was about 50 bucks to the door, and the 1 liter can, should do the VX about 40 or 50 times.....clearly, 1 can will last a lifetime.....ONE NOTE !!!...DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER !!!!! (even carwash power nozzles will blast it off)

vt_maverick
07/12/2009, 01:50 PM
Just to add to it......My coat of refinish/restore , is now 12.5 months old. It has been washed maybe twenty times....this is Florida...lots of sun, Sand, and Salt. It looks as good today, as it did 12 months ago...It's a German product, and I ordered it from an outfit in Germany. It was about 50 bucks to the door, and the 1 liter can, should do the VX about 40 or 50 times.....clearly, 1 can will last a lifetime.....ONE NOTE !!!...DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER !!!!! (even carwash power nozzles will blast it off)

That's a little worrisome... does that mean if I point my garden hose directly at the cladding it will come off?

PK
07/12/2009, 05:10 PM
That's a little worrisome... does that mean if I point my garden hose directly at the cladding it will come off?

Nope - not if your cladding screws are done up!!!!!;):smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

PK

vt_maverick
07/13/2009, 06:40 AM
Nope - not if your cladding screws are done up!!!!!;):smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

PK

lol... Somewhere my high school English teacher is amused that I still overuse pronouns. :)

WormGod
07/13/2009, 07:52 AM
Born fan of "Duragloss Rubber & Flat Black Dressing".

LittleBeast
07/13/2009, 04:07 PM
Back to black is amazing 'nuf said

Let the flaming begin... ;)

HAHAHAHA, exactly. I love back to black and it is what I use, but just like everything around here everyone has an opinion on it, lol. Great stuff though.

vt_maverick
07/14/2009, 06:27 AM
HAHAHAHA, exactly. I love back to black and it is what I use, but just like everything around here everyone has an opinion on it, lol. Great stuff though.

The more I read on the Refinish Restorer the more I'm inclined to stay with Back-to-Black. We don't get too much rain or dust in my neck of the woods, so the problems others have aren't that big a deal for my VX. Plus application of B2B appears to be much faster, safer, and easier than the Refinish Restorer (using a Mother's Powerball I can put multiple coats on evenly in less than 30 minutes), so I'm not that motivated to switch - yet. I've only used B2B once, so maybe I'll get tired of reapplying it over time.

swift16
07/16/2009, 02:26 AM
You could also try Meguiar's "trim detailer" (gold class) --at $7.99 it works very well and holds up for about six months. Also, I would suggest an "applicator" or sponge-less streaking and reusable.

Ldub
07/16/2009, 02:51 AM
You could also try Meguiar's "trim detailer" (gold class) --at $7.99 it works very well and holds up for about six months. Also, I would suggest an "applicator" or sponge-less streaking and reusable.

Ding-Ding-Ding...GOOD ANSWER...:thumbup:

After trying Meguires "grape jelly", I'll never use another product.

Goes on easy, & lasts for months, not weeks.

:rolleyesg...OK, I guess three months IS equal to twelve weeks...:laughing: