PDA

View Full Version : BAD Fix-A-Flat

SomeBeach
07/08/2009, 06:46 PM
When I bought my VX last year I checked the air pressure in the tires and the right rear tire was hard to get air into. I had tires replaced today and that wheel had been fixed with Fix-A-Flat. The mechanic said the wheel was full of gunk and the rim had corroded due to the use of one of those fix-a-flat products. I have heard they shouldn't be used but this was the first experience I had with it. Mechanic recommends if you use it to get the wheel cleaned out as soon as possible.

crotchrocket
07/09/2009, 03:43 AM
Previouse owner should have told you!!! glad it didn't blow out on you in the last year!

Riff Raff
07/09/2009, 03:54 AM
LOL, that is just one of the many hidden surprizes the P.O. has waiting in the shadows!!! Stick around, the can of worms just got opened!!!

crotchrocket
07/09/2009, 05:01 AM
LOL, that is just one of the many hidden surprizes the P.O. has waiting in the shadows!!! Stick around, the can of worms just got opened!!!

Lol @ the positivity !!

circmand
07/09/2009, 07:30 AM
the PO rims were cracking and peeling as they are well known to do and rather than get new rims the PO kept putting in fix a flat. I have used it effectively with no issues but you cant just keep doing it in the same tire. That is what probably caused the hard airing up

etlsport
07/09/2009, 07:56 AM
yea not a big fan of fix-a-flat.. when dismounting tires that stuff reeks.. if its fresh it leaks all over too... also if you use fix-a-flat more than likely you will never be able to patch or plug the tire, most will not stick to fix-a-flat

tom4bren
07/09/2009, 09:40 AM
Don't forget that fix-a-flat is flammable. If you've ever used it in your tire, warn the tech.

Also don't forget, fix-a-flat is a temporary fix. The tire should be properly repaired ASAP.

Triathlete
07/09/2009, 01:31 PM
I carry a couple cans in my VX as a LAST RESORT when out on the trail. A good plug kit is much better!:thumbup:

circmand
07/09/2009, 01:58 PM
I carry a couple cans in my VX as a LAST RESORT when out on the trail. A good plug kit is much better!:thumbup:

I carry a plug kit however my electric compessor often loses its charge so I can not air the tire up enough so I use fix a flat to get more air pressure