PDA

View Full Version : Pulled off my badges, but...

Tonka
10/02/2002, 08:26 PM
How should i get rid of my "ghost" marks?

Tone
10/02/2002, 08:32 PM
Time is about the only cure - you could try some light compound but be careful. Ghost logos can cost hundreds of dollars - I think they look cool and most people won’t even notice it unless you point it out.

Moncha
10/02/2002, 08:37 PM
Did the paint fade making the "ghosts" or is it the oxidation of the clear coat.. You can try using a clay bar to rid the paint of the oxidation around the letters..

Tonka
10/02/2002, 08:37 PM
Wow,
you're quick! I'm not too smart, what do you mean "light compound"?

Don't know if it was fade or the paint. A friend noticed it right away and said to buff it out. Is that good idea?

Moncha
10/02/2002, 10:45 PM
If you buff, just be careful. The clear coat is very thin and can damage quite easily. I'd do some of the other tips first and if to no avail, go to a pro and see what they think.. Some stuff is best not left to DIY...

AnalogVX
10/04/2002, 02:04 AM
I used Scratch Out scratch and haze remover by KIT. It is safe for clear coat and removes paint and scratches from door dings as well as swirl marks from car washes and slight oxidation. Got rid of my ghost images and marks from working off the badges and glue from the finish.

Tonka
10/27/2002, 06:16 PM
Hey Rich,
thanks! Went to Pep Boys this weekend and looked for it. Didn't find it but found Meguires "Scratch X" (same stuff most likely) and it worked great! Would really recomend it to anyone. Can't see anything (Unless you look really, really hard).

alan

Mantronix7
01/29/2006, 06:14 PM
Is this ghost effect on just the clear top coat of the paint finish or has it penetrated into the actual paint color? I was thinking of just having the clear top coat sanded off and re-coated.

Moncha
01/29/2006, 07:02 PM
Chances are, it is affecting the acutal color coat (If it's faded) If it's just a scratching problem, you can use a scratch remover.

Dean68
01/30/2006, 04:58 AM
I kinda like the ghost look of ISUZU on mine. If someone looks at it at just the right angle, they are rewarded with the hidden answer that they are looking to find. I am guessing that it would probably be tough to intentionally duplicate ghost writing.

Dean
2001 VX
St. Louis, MO

Mantronix7
01/30/2006, 06:48 AM
Chances are, it is affecting the acutal color coat (If it's faded) If it's just a scratching problem, you can use a scratch remover.

It could be that this ghost effect is actually the original color that has'nt been faded because of the decal covering it from UV exposure. If so, you maybe correct to assume that the actual color of the car has faded and not just the clear top coat. Thanks for the input.

WormGod
01/30/2006, 07:21 AM
It would be the basecoat (color) that faded. Clear rarely fades, it just cracks and flakes mostly. If it were anything to do with the clear, a goof wetsand and buff usually takes care of that.

What you can do is have the entire VX wetsanded down to the basecoat and then have a clear zapped over it. Its really not the funnest job for a paint shop, but painting after a wetsand (not grit sand) is clearly the best way to go if you want a great finish.

Yes, it costs a few bucks.

Mantronix7
01/30/2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks for your advice. I'll let them run an estimate on the job and see how it goes from there.

Numba1goalie
01/30/2006, 03:54 PM
I have a question for you all.

I recently tried to debadge the rear hatch "ISUZU" and have come across a problem in which when i took off the crome lettering the sticky part stayed behind. I spent about 20 minutes trying to get the sticky "I" off and finally gave up and came here for answers. Any help or solution? thanks,

greg

Dean68
01/30/2006, 05:18 PM
Goo-Gone worked well for me.

Dean
2001 Vx
St. Louis, MO

Numba1goalie
01/30/2006, 07:57 PM
I'll have to pick up abottle then. What do you appy it on, a regular towel, cloth, ect? thanks!

Dean68
01/31/2006, 05:33 AM
I just used a paper towel. If you have a lot of residue, you might want to use a rag because a paper towel might fall apart a bit. I just made sure I didn't let it drip onto the cladding because I didn't want to take a chance it would hurt it.

Dean