PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas On Ways To Secure My VX Whilst On Holiday??

crotchrocket
07/07/2009, 05:25 AM
I am going to go away for 10 days and the VX is the only car I've owned without an alarm!!! I was thinking maybe i'll take a wheel off and leave it on an axle stand? Or take the stearing wheel off?? Or the battery???

Any ideas?

Sprey
07/07/2009, 05:40 AM
Ecu fuse?

Steering wheel of maybe a bit hard cause of the airbag
I wish mine had a alarm only has the Remote unlocking that has a immobiliser on it ( i think its stock )

Are you leaving it outside your house?

crotchrocket
07/07/2009, 05:41 AM
could take out battery and CPU fuse ?
edit* beat me!

yep its outside, dont have a garage in London! they are about £35,000.00 !!!!!!! mine has the imobiliser thing too. Could take out batttery and fuel pump fuse, but not really a visual deterant

circmand
07/07/2009, 07:31 AM
an alarm stock

MSHardeman
07/07/2009, 07:40 AM
Removing a wheel is a definite visual deterent, but leaves the VX vulnerable to someone giving it a push and knocking it off of the stand.

Maybe go back to the days of your youth and thread a cable through a couple of the wheels with a big padlock on it. I used to chain my bicycle to lamp posts that way.

Gussie2000
07/07/2009, 08:11 AM
Removing the ignition & the main ECU fuses is enough to avoid anyone taking off with the VX
As a visual deter the steering wheel lock is enough.
Those bastards never takes chances trying get off the lock because time is the key & cutting the lock with a saw is just a waste of time.

VX KAT
07/07/2009, 08:23 AM
Is anything like a "Denver Boot" available? That's a big hunk of metal hanging on the tire/wheel that police use to immobilizer your car...should be a good deterrent. I also agree with Gussie, at least put a "Club" on the steering wheel....two good visual deterrents and it would certainly slow them down!:yeso:

Here's a few wheel locks some of my friends use on their travel trailer:
http://www.trimaxlocks.com/_e/dept/16/WHEEL_LOCKS.htm

rowhard
07/07/2009, 05:10 PM
could take out battery and CPU fuse ?
edit* beat me!

yep its outside, dont have a garage in London! they are about ?35,000.00 !!!!!!! mine has the imobiliser thing too. Could take out batttery and fuel pump fuse, but not really a visual deterant

Do you have any Bobbie mates? Have them put a Denver Boot on it. That sure would be a visual deterant:yeso:

Triathlete
07/07/2009, 09:27 PM
6 claymores stratigicly placed around your VX with motion sensors should do the job!:yesy:

crotchrocket
07/08/2009, 01:28 AM
lol, thats a good idea!!! or those tripod mounted mini guns and laser sights lol

I dont have a steering lock or a wheel clamp :( My airbag light has come on so need to remove the centre of the steering wheel anyway. I'll see how dificult it is to get the wheel off, normally they are well jammed onto the splines. (will also give me an oportunity to put it back on a few degrees to the right as my steering wheel isn't quite straight going in a straigh line!

alterastro
07/08/2009, 01:59 AM
Thats easy... pop it down to my place and I'll look after it for you :smilewink:yesy:

..... what do you mean you don't trust me?!?! :smilewink

So where are you going? Anywhere nice?

Nick

Riff Raff
07/08/2009, 02:14 AM
In your situation, I would remove the two(2) rear tires/wheels and lay the two(2) tires/wheels "face down" (to protect the outer-side of wheel) and then lower each of the VX's rear brake drum into the backside of each wheel bowl.

Thus, the entire rear end of the VX would be resting on the horizontal tires/wheels. They can't steal the VX, because it won't roll. They can't steal the tires/wheels, because the VX's rear-end is sitting on them like a stack of books.

Make sure your VX in "nose-in" in the parking spot, with the "rear-end" facing towards the street (with horizontal tires exposed for view). So when any crooks go scouting around town for easy finds, they'll see your VX is too much trouble to mess with and move on to easier pickins'.

Problem solved. Enjoy your vacation with total peace of mind.

PittVXr
07/08/2009, 05:40 AM
Crotchrocket,

I don't think you have to worry about anyone touching your VX. I mean seriously, would YOU mess with a guy who drove a truck that looked like yours??? :jump: