PDA

View Full Version : Product Recommendation -- NOT SPAM

JAMAS
06/29/2009, 05:29 AM
I have 2 products that I have used for the VX and have to say I would 100% recommend.

First.....

Mr. Clean Auto Dry Car Wash System:

This is the only product I have ever used that has delivered on its promises. I have been using it for about 5 years. Usually by this time, I have moved onto the next best thing. The trick to using this is that you do still have to scrub the car. The magic is in the soap and the filtered water. The gun is nice for easy switch betweens. I washed my Ebony VX in the hot sun (water steamed when I sprayed it) and when I was done, I didnt have one single water spot.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/411YC0NSJPL_SL500_AA280_.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=14956)

Second...

Turtle Wax' ICE

I purchased a bottle of this stuff on Saturday and used it on the VX including the Cladding. It took about 10 minutes to do the whole car. Their claim is that you can use it on EVERYTHING. Plastic, painted, chromed, metal, rubber, etc. It was a breeze to put on. My cladding looks amazing.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/ice_wax.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=14957)

vt_maverick
06/29/2009, 06:01 AM
I've been using the Mr. Clean kit for over 6 years now and can vouch for it, although IMO the soap isn't any better than the generic gallon jugs you find at your local auto store. The real key is the integrated filter, which is what ultimately prevents contaminates from creating spots. The one problem I've found is that if you use a higher-end car wash (Meguiar's NXT is what I use) the soap will be too thick for the gun to mix with the water. So I use the gun purely for the filter.

I've heard great things about the Ice product and have been meaning to try it for awhile now. In addition to what you listed, it supposedly is able to be applied in direct sunlight, which is important for those of us without garages in the hotter parts of the country.

JAMAS
06/29/2009, 06:13 AM
...although IMO the soap isn't any better than the generic gallon jugs you find at your local auto store. The real key is the integrated filter, which is what ultimately prevents contaminates from creating spots...

Yeah, you are correct about the filter. That is the majority of the solution. However, in my experience the Mr. Clean soap has that "polymer" where you can actually watch the water dry off in a sheet. Its really cool. Almost like the water is being peeled off. But the filter is a big part.....just my opinion

JAMAS
06/29/2009, 06:15 AM
In addition to what you listed, it supposedly is able to be applied in direct sunlight, which is important for those of us without garages in the hotter parts of the country.

OH YEAH!!!

I forgot to add that.

Also, I used it on 2 cars and I have about 98% left. A little bit goes ALONG WAY!

handeeman
06/29/2009, 06:25 AM
I have used the "ICE" product on the VX (Kaiser) and the wife's (Black) car. Been really impressed, easy to put on and easy to take off. I do it in the garage in the shade not sure about if would come off easy in the sun. another thing it dries clear so you don't get the white left overs in the cracks etc. Good stuff.

vt_maverick
06/29/2009, 06:29 AM
another thing it dries clear so you don't get the white left overs in the cracks etc. Good stuff.

That's a really good advantage over the Meguiar's waxes that I usually use. Their products fill and shine awesome, but they do leave residue.

vt_maverick
06/29/2009, 06:32 AM
Btw, another handy product is the Mother's Mini-Powerball. For those of us who are not yet enlightened enough to use the Refinish Restorer or Gator Back products (or all the way through their bottle of B2B yet ;) ) it really speeds the process of putting on the cladding dressing. You still have to do a final wipe down with a cloth to make sure it's perfectly even, but it reduces the elbow grease factor by at least 90%. Just make sure if you're using a cordless drill that you have multiple battery packs ready!

circmand
06/29/2009, 08:02 AM
I washed my Ebony VX in the hot sun (water steamed when I sprayed it) and when I was done, I didnt have one single water spot.

In Ohio? Here in the middle of the Mohave we just finished a dozen days or so above 100 degrees. But in Summer it starts to get real hot. Last year 133 degrees. Here in the summer you turn off your water heater to have a supply of cold water cause brushing your teeth with hot water sux. Here you do not wash your car in the summer you steam clean it.

JAMAS
06/29/2009, 08:19 AM
I washed my Ebony VX in the hot sun (water steamed when I sprayed it) and when I was done, I didnt have one single water spot.

In Ohio? Here in the middle of the Mohave we just finished a dozen days or so above 100 degrees. But in Summer it starts to get real hot. Last year 133 degrees. Here in the summer you turn off your water heater to have a supply of cold water cause brushing your teeth with hot water sux. Here you do not wash your car in the summer you steam clean it.

Yeah, it gets sunny and hot here in Ohio.....but about 90+ on that day in the full sun. But a black vehicle just absorbs the snot out of that heat.

I can't imagine how or why you deal with that heat. I couldnt survive.

Moncha
06/29/2009, 08:23 AM
I love product recommendations and reviews...

Try and remember to post things like this in the "Reviews Section" (Link on the Main Menu on the left) that way they don't get buried or moved to archives.

Here's a link to the category that fits
http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewcategory&cid=3

JAMAS
06/29/2009, 08:29 AM
I love product recommendations and reviews...

Try and remember to post things like this in the "Reviews Section" (Link on the Main Menu on the left) that way they don't get buried or moved to archives.

Here's a link to the category that fits
http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewcategory&cid=3

I just submitted it. Awaiting your approval.

Thanks for the heads-up

Moncha
06/29/2009, 08:41 AM
You bet, this kind of info is valuable!

Cobrajet
07/01/2009, 02:49 PM
I use ICE on my cladding, but prefer the Professional line of products from Meguiars for the body. I used ICE on my black '82 Mustang last month, and then put the cover on. I couple days later it rained, and left horrible streaks on the finish. I had to "wax" it all over again. It's a 16 year old paint job (Glasurit), so it soaks up the wax. Looks great from a distance.

I found the best way to apply ICE was to apply liberally with the provided sponge, let it "dry" for about 15-20 minutes, and then go back over it with a damp cloth followed immediately with a soft dry cloth. This usually prevents streaking, unless it puddles in a crack somewhere. Works great on good cladding.

circmand
07/01/2009, 04:04 PM
Yeah, it gets sunny and hot here in Ohio.....but about 90+ on that day in the full sun. But a black vehicle just absorbs the snot out of that heat.

I can't imagine how or why you deal with that heat. I couldnt survive.

It's not the heat it's the humidity. I am from PA so I know about your weather. I miss it in the summer but enjoy here in the winter. On the plus side you can get a great tan walking out and getting the paper. I do it in the nude to get a great all over tan. Boy having sun burn on your balls hurts.

JAMAS
07/02/2009, 04:05 AM
It's not the heat it's the humidity. I am from PA so I know about your weather. I miss it in the summer but enjoy here in the winter. On the plus side you can get a great tan walking out and getting the paper. I do it in the nude to get a great all over tan. Boy having sun burn on your balls hurts.

Glad I'm not your neighbor.;puke2;

JAMAS
07/02/2009, 05:39 AM
What a deal!!!

$2.99

http://www.woot.com/ (http://www.woot.com/)

Today Only!!!

circmand
07/02/2009, 07:43 AM
Glad I'm not your neighbor.;puke2;

From my neighbors except when I bend over, but I am already tan there

Moncha
07/02/2009, 08:08 AM
Jamas, even with the shipping, that's a great deal. I've been using for years! Love it!

Marlin
07/02/2009, 01:03 PM
I had the mr clean kit for a while, but if you have hard water, that filter only lasts 2 washes, way too expensive for me, so now I have a whole home filtration system, like rainsoft or ecowater, I get a spot free rinse every time....no gadgets for me:)

vt_maverick
07/02/2009, 01:06 PM
I had the mr clean kit for a while, but if you have hard water, that filter only lasts 2 washes, way too expensive for me, so now I have a whole home filtration system, like rainsoft or ecowater, I get a spot free rinse every time....no gadgets for me:)

+1 - Depending on where I was living at the time, the filter never lasted more than 6 washes, usually only two or three at best. (The package claims 10 with a big * beside it. :rolleyes: )

In-home filtration is where it's at if you can afford the much bigger but one time (not counting replacement sand) investment.

Riff Raff
07/03/2009, 04:51 AM
CIRCMAND--- Are you shaving downstairs??? Otherwise, the twins should be shaded by natural body hair.

circmand
07/03/2009, 06:11 PM
CIRCMAND--- Are you shaving downstairs??? Otherwise, the twins should be shaded by natural body hair.

I was talking about me bum but thickness of hair doesnt block in front

pbkid
07/03/2009, 07:21 PM
wow, this turned bad....really quick lol...

Marlin
07/05/2009, 08:01 AM
The twincutter by Craftsman is awesome!!! I cut through 2 1/4" diameter, 1/8" wall thickness steel in seconds, very little kickback, very smooth cut.
Cons: metal chips everywhere, but the cut is smooth, and all the cuts are "freehand" since there is no deck to use, but if you are careful, yo uget great cuts in any direction. Another con is that it seems to get hot pretty quick. I would never use this on wood, a circular saw would be much better. But for steel, it crushes my sawzall and my jigsaw.

vt_maverick
03/22/2010, 07:16 AM
Needed a new Mr. Clean filter on Sunday so I went to the local auto parts store, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. and couldn't find a single one. Did a little research last night and found that they've been discontinued! :mad: Target had the starter kit, but no refills. I did find good deals on refills on eBay (ordered a 5-pack yesterday afternoon with free shipping for $40) but you have to be careful because there are guys selling packs of the "Starter Filter" instead of the "Refill Filter" which only gives you 3 washes per filter instead of 10.

Just a heads up!

JAMAS
03/22/2010, 08:07 AM
WHAT???!!!!!?????!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

p_justin13
03/22/2010, 08:51 AM
I use the mothers back to black exterior polish on the cladding. Works wonderful, goes on fast, made for exterior plastic's and lasts well into your next washing. Cheap, like 7 dollars a bottle. Put it on hood insert this last time to see if it would work on such a porus surface and I'll be damned took two or three coats but looke gorgious! Would def recommend

Moonrover
03/22/2010, 09:04 AM
My Recommendation
I did an oil change over the weekend while getting the need supplies i also decided to buy a fuel injector cleaner. The employee at the counter told me to get a bottle of Lucas fuel treatment for 5 bucks. Boy it works! I drove back to school the following day (the trip that usually uses 3/4 a tank) i made back with only using a half tank. I Recommend

vt_maverick
03/22/2010, 09:29 AM
I use the mothers back to black exterior polish on the cladding. Works wonderful, goes on fast, made for exterior plastic's and lasts well into your next washing. Cheap, like 7 dollars a bottle. Put it on hood insert this last time to see if it would work on such a porus surface and I'll be damned took two or three coats but looke gorgious! Would def recommend

My Recommendation
I did an oil change over the weekend while getting the need supplies i also decided to buy a fuel injector cleaner. The employee at the counter told me to get a bottle of Lucas fuel treatment for 5 bucks. Boy it works! I drove back to school the following day (the trip that usually uses 3/4 a tank) i made back with only using a half tank. I Recommend

Guys... while this thread has a very generic title, it was originally intended to be a recommendation for Mr. Clean and Turtle Wax Ice specifically (if you look at everything before your posts they generally all relate to those two products). Not trying to smack you here, just important to realize that your recommendations won't do as much good if they're buried in a thread that had nothing to do with B2B or Lucas fuel treatment. Maybe consider deleting your posts and moving them into a separate thread? (There's even a B2B thread open right now.)

Just want to make sure the thread doesn't go in another direction altogether. :)

tom4bren
03/22/2010, 09:34 AM
Just want to make sure the thread doesn't go in another direction altogether. :)

Too late. Circmand already took care of that. Definitely a mental image I didn't need on Monday morning.:_brickwal