PDA

View Full Version : Fixed my window

SomeBeach
06/28/2009, 07:01 AM
I finally got around to fixing my driver side window yesterday. The window would tilt forward and jam up when putting it up. I grabbed my laptop, entered the window fixing forum, and went to work. I used the Crutchfield speaker replacement instructions (very detailed) to remove the door panel. I widened the track but it still binded. Lubricated the track, still no go. Bent brace away from window and it got worse. So I bent the brace back towards the window and it worked. Nice to be able to use the window again.

rowhard
06/28/2009, 07:47 AM
pity you didn't have some of SBC's brackets, you could of made it a permanent fix.

pbkid
06/28/2009, 08:35 AM
sounds good somebeach...
might wanna look into the SBC brackets like rowhard was saying.

http://www.streetboutiquecustoms.com/

they replace the factory plastic window tabs with metal ones (the most common VX problems is that the plastic ones break and wont hold the window any longer)

SomeBeach
06/28/2009, 09:18 AM
When I bought the VX the owner said he did the window fix. I could see the plastic moisture barrier had been cut and repaired. I don't know what the original window pieces looked like but it has two white nylon pieces that glue to glass. They are connected together by a metal piece. So it's not all metal but looks pretty sturdy.

Travelin2
06/28/2009, 12:05 PM
Possibly the PO did it wrong and bolted the plastic tabs to the SBC bracket. If the metal piece the plastics connect to has a channel in it full length,bolt to bolt then you already have the correct brackets. Just install them correctly.

VX KAT
06/28/2009, 11:07 PM
Here's the thread & pics of the OEM window tabs, and Tim from SBC removing mine and putting the metal SBC brackets on. This shows exactly what the white nylon/plastic tabs look like that will break. The SBC brackets are the darker gray/black color oblong shape you can see fitting into the brighter silver triangular piece with the bolt. His brackets have a slot along the top that you glue the glass window into. Hope it helps.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15322&highlight=sbc+brackets+Tim+Parker

SomeBeach
06/29/2009, 05:50 AM
I saw this thread and notice the nylon pieces are not connected to each other. Mine are connected together with a metal piece. Is this how the original was. The setup I have now looks the same as the metal replacement pieces except the part attached to the window is nylon or plastic.

tom4bren
06/29/2009, 06:23 AM
Sounds like the PO did his own fix that he hoped would be as good as the SBC brackets. I'm sure it helps but it really isn't the complete fix. That metal bracket really isn't doing much good since the problem we've been experiencing is the tabs actually breaking or coming loose from the glass. Your metal bracket is just adding some strength between the two tabs (which isn't really needed since they are both bolting to the same piece of metal on the regulator). If yours is working tho ... don't fix it.