PDA

View Full Version : Replacing oil drain plug

VX KAT
06/26/2009, 06:16 PM
Had oil changed last week, been dripping a bit ever since. (Dub- turns out it's oil not tranny fluid) Mechanic found drain plug was getting kind of stripped, so he didn't want to strip it completely by cranking it any tighter. Suggested I buy a new one now.

Found part number for it on myisuzuparts.com: 9-09862-156-0
Already too late to call Merlin and authorized local Isuzu place Parts Dept is closed for weekend, so can't check there.

So in mean time, thought I'd try to find it.

Found SAME part number is coming up for the 98-02 Honda Passport which I know is a rebadged Rodeo.

If I find one at Honda any problem using it?

Joe_Black
06/26/2009, 07:01 PM
The Honda Passport is a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo and uses the exact same drain plug, so no worries. Or, you could never ever worry about stripping the drain plug and having to replace drain gaskets again by getting one of these: Fumoto Valve (http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/)

I've used them on our VX's, diesel Mercedes and even my Caterpillar dozers and numerous other vehicles and equipment. A more glowing recommendation you won't find anywhere, especially for oil changes without tools! :yesy:

johnnyapollo
06/26/2009, 07:43 PM
I have a Fumoto Valve on my VX (based on a recommendation by JoeBlack some time ago) and couldn't be happier. Makes oil changes a snap.

-- John

pbkid
06/26/2009, 07:54 PM
i hope they didnt strip the threads on your oil pan.. :freek:
if so, then you have some serious :_wrench: to do...

Ldub
06/26/2009, 09:00 PM
The Honda Passport is a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo and uses the exact same drain plug, so no worries. Or, you could never ever worry about stripping the drain plug and having to replace drain gaskets again by getting one of these: Fumoto Valve (http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/)

I've used them on our VX's, diesel Mercedes and even my Caterpillar dozers and numerous other vehicles and equipment. A more glowing recommendation you won't find anywhere, especially for oil changes without tools! :yesy:

I have a Fumoto Valve on my VX (based on a recommendation by JoeBlack some time ago) and couldn't be happier. Makes oil changes a snap.

-- John

X3... Fumoto :thumbup:

VX KAT
06/26/2009, 10:35 PM
Oh yeah, I used to have those things on my cars back in the 80s, forgot all about them....

OK, now the loaded question....to a forum of mostly guys....and you guys specifically.....:freek:
there's 2 styles, one with a nipple, one without....which is preferable?

(Oh man, couldn't it be called something else???) :laugho:

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=157

And have you seen them at the "usual" auto parts places? I haven't checked their online sites yet.

Thanks!

Ldub
06/26/2009, 10:56 PM
Oh yeah, I used to have those things on my cars back in the 80s, forgot all about them....

OK, now the loaded question....to a forum of mostly guys....and you guys specifically.....:freek:

And have you seen them at the "usual" auto parts places? I haven't checked their online sites yet.

Thanks!

I ordered mine online & prefer the one with a nipple, (woulda been better with two...sorry, I have no control over it...:laughing:) makes changing oil way easy, with zero tools.
And the option of attaching a plastic hose to the nipple & into my drain pan, makes the whole process that much cleaner...:yes:

I've seen some at auto parts stores, made by fram or some such...not nearly the quality of the Fumoto IMO.

VX KAT
06/26/2009, 11:02 PM
Thanks LDub- will do! I'll order it online.

I ordered mine online & prefer the one with a nipple, (woulda been better with two...sorry, I have no control over it...:laughing:) makes changing oil way easy, with zero tools.
And the option of attaching a plastic hose to the nipple & into my drain pan, makes the whole process that much cleaner...:yes:

I've seen some at auto parts stores, made by fram or some such...not nearly the quality of the Fumoto IMO.

Joe_Black
06/27/2009, 07:54 AM
The nipple is for when you don't have direct access to place a catch pan underneath where the oil is being drained, for example several of my Caterpillar dozers have belly-pans that weigh several hundred pounds. So rather than spend half a day removing one I just have a hose attached to Fumoto with nipple that I can snake out to a drain pan. Folks with boats like the nipple Fumoto for the same reason. In the case of most vehicles getting one with a nipple just increases the distance the valve protrudes from the bottom of the oil pan. Personally I think the narrow profile of the nipple risks getting caught on something, especially while wheeling, as opposed to the Fumoto valve itself which is more stubby/blocky.

Just my $.02!

Ldub
06/27/2009, 08:40 AM
The nipple is for when you don't have direct access to place a catch pan underneath where the oil is being drained, for example several of my Caterpillar dozers have belly-pans that weigh several hundred pounds. So rather than spend half a day removing one I just have a hose attached to Fumoto with nipple that I can snake out to a drain pan. Folks with boats like the nipple Fumoto for the same reason. In the case of most vehicles getting one with a nipple just increases the distance the valve protrudes from the bottom of the oil pan. Personally I think the narrow profile of the nipple risks getting caught on something, especially while wheeling, as opposed to the Fumoto valve itself which is more stubby/blocky.

Just my $.02!

Good point, I forgot that not everyone has a belly pan down there...:mbrasd:

VX KAT
06/27/2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks guys, I ordered the non-nipple one. :thanx:

BTW, I'd LIKE to believe that my drain plug being stripped is an indication that the PO changed the oil frequently.....but I suppose it could get stripped in just one moment of cross threading it and cranking it on....oh, did I mention the authorized Isuzu dealership (Tim's Toyota) did the oil change before this one when the private shop discovered it was pretty striped? Hummmm.....guess I'll never know!

don moore
06/27/2009, 12:16 PM
nipples and stripped.....what is this post about.........

VX KAT
06/27/2009, 12:36 PM
nipples and stripped.....what is this post about......... :rollo:

pbkid
06/27/2009, 12:51 PM
i know...every time i see it i get excited...then i open it and get dissapointed...

speaking of nipple and stripped...whit opened up my computer yesterday to find a button on my bottom bar (the one where the start button is) that said "tranny, X-case, F-R...."
when i got home she was just staring at my blank computer terrified...i asked her what was wrong and she was like...um...please tell me that tranny isnt what i think it is...you been looking at that type of stuff now?

i got a good laugh and told her to open it up and check out the hot guy/girls...

she opened it to find my copy/paste of multiple threads "how-to's" and capacities for the transmission, transfer case, and front and rear diffs...for fluid changes im doing this week..
that was a big sigh of relief from her :laughing:

sorry about the :hj:...don moore's comment reminded me of the story..

ok, back on topic...yup, drain plugs...great

VX crazy
06/27/2009, 02:12 PM

Thanks!

LOL! I have the 'non nipple' fumoto, love it! And had some of us women invented it I bet we would have named it differently, like with 'appendage', or 'weewee' LOL