PDA

View Full Version : I've gone and done it...

Moncha
06/24/2009, 03:29 PM
So I can get a more accurate count of actual members, this morning I sent out a mass email to all those users that have signed up over a year ago and have not posted. I set June 30th 2009 as a deadline for those users to reply. After that, those that have either bounced emails or did not reply will be deleted. So far we have had a good response from those that want to keep their accounts active.
Here's the breakdown for those that want stats:

Total emails sent out = 1089
Keep accounts active = 23
Bounced emails = 215

We'll see what the rest do...

For those that have chosen to keep their accounts active, THANK YOU and welcome again to the family!

Gussie2000
06/24/2009, 03:53 PM
Hey scott !

That's a great idea though !

Basically is the same idea i shared about with you which caused a bit a of outrage throughtout the entire site months ago.

There's more then 3000 members & 60+ % of them haven't log in for years....yeah it's sad.

Otto
06/24/2009, 06:13 PM
If I did not get an E-Mail, does that me I am OK?

pbkid
06/24/2009, 06:33 PM
great idea scott...
no reason to keep people around that havent been here in forever

kirk hilton
06/25/2009, 12:45 AM
That's a sad but necessary bit of house keeping. Ever since joining I've wanted to send a broadcast email to all members in the UK but felt it could be a waste of time as many didn't seem to be active. Clearing the dead wood will mean we'll see the wood for the trees (to mix metaphors)

Shawn Seeback
06/25/2009, 01:03 AM
Well i never got that message either?

Sprey
06/25/2009, 01:49 AM
i think if you dont get the message your safe
as Moncha said for those who have signed up over a year ago and have not posted.

Not that long ago i went through the member list and pmd all the Nz people that i could spot.
Out of 15 only 4 replied
1 without a Vx
2 with them
1 without one. at the time who now has one again.

Riff Raff
06/25/2009, 03:29 AM
Good idea Scott. No need to keep dead driftwood laying around. Comply OR Goodbye!!!

CrnCnn
06/25/2009, 06:28 AM
Well I for one see a down side.

When Cari and I were looking at a proton here in Reno the PO was a member here. He/She never posted much but they had some good info on their profile about the rig.

I think its kinda good but just wanted to thro in my thoughts. :bwgy:

Moncha
06/25/2009, 07:05 AM
They are free to sign up again. Anyone can browse the site with out an account, they just don't get the added features.

It really has nothing to do with lack of posting.. I guess I should have clarified it a bit better. The criteria is, Signed up over a year ago, no posts and no activity (Visited the site under their account) for over a year..

I'm not being mean about it but I get about 50-100 bounced emails a week so, I figured it was time..

Gussie2000
06/25/2009, 08:11 AM
Well I for one see a down side.

When Cari and I were looking at a proton here in Reno the PO was a member here. He/She never posted much but they had some good info on their profile about the rig.

I think its kinda good but just wanted to thro in my thoughts. :bwgy:

You got a good point there,however this doesn,t always apply for similar situations.
Many of the inactives members haven't log in for differents reasons.
One of them & most common is the fact that they don't own a VX any more & losted interest in the site.
Another that seems difficult to believe is they fact that they just sign up but forgets about the existance of the site thereafter.
Another reason is that many sign up just to acess to certain topics they are interested for where they can't have if they didn't signed up.
Scott,i'll suggest you add a disclaimer notice during the sign up process warning new members about logged in at least once every year to keep their account active,that method will save you time sending e-mails & let the site purge its self.

CrnCnn
06/25/2009, 08:43 AM
You got a good point there,however this doesn,t always apply for similar situations.
Many of the inactives members haven't log in for differents reasons.
One of them & most common is the fact that they don't own a VX any more & losted interest in the site.
Another that seems difficult to believe is they fact that they just sign up but forgets about the existance of the site thereafter.
Another reason is that many sign up just to acess to certain topics they are interested for where they can't have if they didn't signed up.
Scott,i'll suggest you add a disclaimer notice during the sign up process warning new members about logged in at least once every year to keep their account active,that method will save you time sending e-mails & let the site purge its self.

Very true, but the Proton we were looking at obviously wasnt owned by someone here anymore, but the information was helpful. I wonder if we did some sort of registry that someone who really doesnt care to be a part of the site could load their info on the VX.

nfpgasmask
06/25/2009, 01:23 PM
From a web admins point of view, I think this is a very good thing to do, Scott.

It would make the search by state a lot more accurate, and it will obviously "de-clutter" the user list.

Bart

Chopper
06/25/2009, 02:39 PM
on occasion we hear from someone that hasn't been on in a long long time. It really doesn't happen that often though

Knigh7s
06/25/2009, 03:01 PM
I dont use vBulletin software so i'm not to familiar with it. But when you delete a user, don't you also delete the users photo gallery and threads? Or is there an option that lets you archive photos/threads?

Say someone has particular photos that help out in certain situations or a thread that didn't make it into the how-to section. Do those get archived or are they lost when the user is deleted?

Moncha
06/25/2009, 03:33 PM
Again, these will be users that have never posted, never uploaded a photo... Basically they signed up, then never came back.

Knigh7s
06/26/2009, 11:32 AM
LOL Moncha,

I read that several times as you explained that above, but my brain didn't register it that way till just now! DOOH!

Again, these will be users that have never posted, never uploaded a photo... Basically they signed up, then never came back.

nfpgasmask
06/26/2009, 11:49 AM
Scott, are you sure your are only going to delete users that have never posted, never uploaded a photo, basically signed up, and then never came back??

:rotate:
Bart

JAMAS
06/26/2009, 11:58 AM
Who's getting deleted?:confused:

tom4bren
06/26/2009, 12:06 PM
People with over 5000 posts - they're obviously dead weight.

LittleBeast
06/26/2009, 12:13 PM

Yeah I signed up under a different name before I got a VX that profile needs to go by-by quick. I know a few other people here that did the same.

nfpgasmask
06/26/2009, 12:15 PM

LOL, I know, I know, so much BS I post on here...sorry, I'm sure all my posts eat up like half the space on Moncha's server. :mbrasd:

Bart

LittleBeast
06/26/2009, 12:36 PM
LOL, I know, I know, so much BS I post on here...sorry, I'm sure all my posts eat up like half the space on Moncha's server. :mbrasd:

Bart

^^ Well I am sure this one did not help ;) :angel::drama::dan_ban:

LittleBeast
06/26/2009, 12:40 PM

How about people with over 2,250 posts in just over 2 years? That is nearly 3 posts a day you crazy man, geez take a day off :)

tom4bren
06/26/2009, 12:43 PM
Obviously you didn't see post #43 here:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=15954&page=3

Moncha
06/26/2009, 12:46 PM
ONLY those with 0, Zero, Zip Nada, and how ever else you can translate it. Geez, you guys are a tough crowd!

:smack::disturbed:smack:

tom4bren
06/26/2009, 12:59 PM
"Geez, you guys are a tough crowd!"

Nothin a few chocolate monkees won't fix.

bigkoala1
06/26/2009, 01:03 PM
dont delete me!!!! I know I havent been around much but i still like the site!!!

nfpgasmask
06/26/2009, 01:10 PM
Scott, are you sure your are only going to delete users that have never posted, never uploaded a photo, basically signed up, and then never came back??

:rotate:
Bart

Scott, you know I was totally kidding here...cause you already said it like 50 times...:D

Bart

tom4bren
06/26/2009, 01:10 PM
Koala,

Boss Man ain't been perfectly clear on this one :confused: but I think you're safe.

Bart,

You got me at first but I quickly figgered it out & deleted my smart elec response.

WormGod
06/26/2009, 01:11 PM
Good idea Scott. That's what I call, trimming the fat.

http://www.cowpiebuzz.com/my_weblog/images/2008/01/31/bs_36.jpg

Moncha
06/26/2009, 01:42 PM
Naw, I'm just kiddin'.

I'm gonna delete the whole bunch of ya and start over.

pbkid
06/26/2009, 01:58 PM
Naw, I'm just kiddin'.

I'm gonna delete the whole bunch of ya and start over.
:flame: