PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment

Mark B
06/21/2009, 08:09 AM
A article in the St. Petersburg Times the other day stated that unemployment in the Tampa Bay area of Floirda was at 10% and they did not expect any turn around until 2011.
I manage resorts on the beach in the Tampa Bay Area and Tourism is down for the year. We are having a good summer so far, but I am afraid that when the summer is over, my business will suffer.
My VX has been setting in the garage and I have been driving my 1999 amigo.
I might have to sell one of the vehicles. It will not be the VX.
I would like to retire someday, but at this point with the poor economy, it looks like my plans for retirememt will be postponed for a while.
Anyone else suffering from this poor economy?

Gussie2000
06/21/2009, 08:30 AM
Hi mark !

Unfortunately you aren't along on this path though.

Many VX'ers has suffer this economy slum in one way or the other.

For example i work in the private security business as a team supervisor which requires me to drive around NYC providing support to our security staff on different locations,due the bad economy the company has lost few accounts or seen reductions in the service accross the city,new jersey & connecticut.

I suffered a five hours cut from my regular 50 + weekly hours which to be honest it doesn't hurt that much because i got no kids & always manage to keep my personal expenses at low as possible,but for many members of the company that only works 40 hours a week & got all kind of responsabilities yes it must hit them very hard.

My company pays the average of $ 14,00/hour for unarmed guards,the armed goes around $ 19-25/hour & the supervisors staff which i'm part of goes $ 17/hour which is very good within this field.

Joe_Black
06/22/2009, 01:47 PM
After nearly 20 years in IT I was laid off last July after 12 years as a SysAdmin for SunTrust Bank along with over 3000 others in various technology divisions within the bank. The bulk of the work and a lot of TARP money went to India, Mexico and Canada as they offshored as much as possible and what little they couldn't went to cut-rate outsources. Now I'm going back to school starting next month for a 2-year AS degree as an Aviation Maintenance Professional, basically an airplane mechanic as I'll have my FAA Airframe & Powerplant licenses plus Avionics Certifications. After 3 years in the field then I can get my Inspection Authorization license. My intent is to stay local at one of our nearby airfields and stay away from the airlines as my desire is to be happy rather than rich, as it certainly pays less than IT. At least I won't be in a cube waiting for the next round of layoffs as no one is going to fly their Cessna to Bangalore for an annual or overhaul. :bgwo: I'm especially looking forward to learning more about diesels as they're coming on strong to replace gasoline engines in light aircraft. As I'm already a pilot (SEL & SES) it gives me a little extra opportunity to log some flight time too!

Gussie2000
06/22/2009, 04:43 PM
That's good way to turn around the situation joe;Plus it gives you the opportunity to widen your options in the future.

Since i came to live in the US my aim is to go south;Fl is my 1rst choice,also CA is in my scoop.

I got 10 years of experience as a bodyguard in my country which i want to work again,i've applied twice for firearms license here in NY but it's too tough to get thru,even though i'm over qualified & it already cost me $ 1200 (non refundable) in processing all paper work.The state it self has severe proceeds (NYPD burocracy) to obtain the license so NYC stop becoming a good option for me.

Along with that the state provides its former law enforcement officers the privilages to get the jobs that really pays in the security field here,leaving those that are willing to walk up the leadder with no much of options.

The NYS only grants 2000 firearm licenses per year & the average of applicants goes over 6000 but in other states those requierments are more flexible.

My company owns one of the most advanced firearms trainning facilities in the US which is located in bukbank,CA and there's where all qualified officers goes to complete its training & with bit of luck on my side i shall be joining them.

Joe_Black
06/22/2009, 06:35 PM
Florida is a little bit more friendly for shooting enthusiasts. I got my wife, Kathy, her first machinegun a while back and we enjoy the various shoots in the area, and our daughter got her first taste of the "big iron" last year. Her favorite? The M60! You may find these vids of the last couple of interest, especially one of the regulars who brings out his M134: Joe's MG Vids (http://www.planetarydomination.com/FA.htm)

Good luck with your pursuits! :thumbup:

Gussie2000
06/22/2009, 06:53 PM
Yeap !

My uncle lives in orlando,he's also bullet sucker enthusiats :p

So no problem finding a pal to spit out some fire out there !

Robbomaz
06/22/2009, 11:52 PM
A article in the St. Petersburg Times the other day stated that unemployment in the Tampa Bay area of Floirda was at 10% and they did not expect any turn around until 2011.
I manage resorts on the beach in the Tampa Bay Area and Tourism is down for the year. We are having a good summer so far, but I am afraid that when the summer is over, my business will suffer.
My VX has been setting in the garage and I have been driving my 1999 amigo.
I might have to sell one of the vehicles. It will not be the VX.
I would like to retire someday, but at this point with the poor economy, it looks like my plans for retirememt will be postponed for a while.
Anyone else suffering from this poor economy?
Retirement age has been upped to 67 here!
At my day job our contracts (mainly with the US) for 2010 are sparse but just enough to get by, and 6 engineers have been laid off from a force of 25.
Our mining driven economy has not suffered as much as some but there has been a massive cull of non-viable projects and contractor/consutant labour. Process Engineers are doing supermarket nightfill :(

Housing has slowed with more foreclosures but our banking market is far more regulated than yours so while foreclosures are up 100% it is still a tiny % of total loans. Plus of course here you are held responsible for your mortgage debt and can't just walk away...

The car tuning/workshop side hasn't slowed at all - I have a feeling that the income of some our customers isn't entirely legitimately derived.......:winkgray:

Rob

Ldub
06/23/2009, 01:29 AM
After nearly 20 years in IT I was laid off last July after 12 years as a SysAdmin for SunTrust Bank along with over 3000 others in various technology divisions within the bank. The bulk of the work and a lot of TARP money went to India, Mexico and Canada as they offshored as much as possible and what little they couldn't went to cut-rate outsources. Now I'm going back to school starting next month for a 2-year AS degree as an Aviation Maintenance Professional, basically an airplane mechanic as I'll have my FAA Airframe & Powerplant licenses plus Avionics Certifications. After 3 years in the field then I can get my Inspection Authorization license. My intent is to stay local at one of our nearby airfields and stay away from the airlines as my desire is to be happy rather than rich, as it certainly pays less than IT. At least I won't be in a cube waiting for the next round of layoffs as no one is going to fly their Cessna to Bangalore for an annual or overhaul. :bgwo: I'm especially looking forward to learning more about diesels as they're coming on strong to replace gasoline engines in light aircraft. As I'm already a pilot (SEL & SES) it gives me a little extra opportunity to log some flight time too!

Good point Joe...:thumbup:

I'll add...It's life man, ya gotta roll with it...:cool:

In the time since I was still in high school I've been...

Parts counter help at a motorcycle dealership
Gas station attendant (some of you youngsters won't know what this is)
Tire store worker, both automotive & ag/truck + light mechanical work
Painter
Hairdresser
Kona coffee farmer...also, other stuff...:rolleyesg
Orchardist, banannas,avacados,macadamia nuts,all manner of citrus, + a wide variety of tropical ornamentals
Dive boat deck hand/guide
Carpenter - new homes & remodeling +(concrete,roofing, light plumbing & electrical,etc.)
Gas/woodburning fireplace installer
Ceramic,marble & granite tile installer
Glass sunroom builder
Cabinet maker
Janitor
Security guard

Seems like I might have forgot a few, but the point is, you gotta be fluid & move through life with minimal resistance...it's sometimes surprising where you can find an opprotunity, but you have to be looking...:smilewink

I STILL don't know what I wanna be when I grow up...:_confused

I guess anything OTHER than stuck in a rut...:yes:

JHarris1385
06/23/2009, 05:03 AM
Hairdresser? As in licensed and all?

SomeBeach
06/23/2009, 05:15 AM
WOW! Ldub is a cabinet making security guard hairdresser that serves coffee. Who could ask for more than that???

etlsport
06/23/2009, 05:34 AM
Good point Joe...:thumbup:

I'll add...It's life man, ya gotta roll with it...:cool:

In the time since I was still in high school I've been...

Parts counter help at a motorcycle dealership
Gas station attendant (some of you youngsters won't know what this is)
Tire store worker, both automotive & ag/truck + light mechanical work
Painter
Hairdresser
Kona coffee farmer...also, other stuff...:rolleyesg
Orchardist, banannas,avacados,macadamia nuts,all manner of citrus, + a wide variety of tropical ornamentals
Dive boat deck hand/guide
Carpenter - new homes & remodeling +(concrete,roofing, light plumbing & electrical,etc.)
Gas/woodburning fireplace installer
Ceramic,marble & granite tile installer
Glass sunroom builder
Cabinet maker
Janitor
Security guard

Seems like I might have forgot a few, but the point is, you gotta be fluid & move through life with minimal resistance...it's sometimes surprising where you can find an opprotunity, but you have to be looking...:smilewink

I STILL don't know what I wanna be when I grow up...:_confused

I guess anything OTHER than stuck in a rut...:yes:

nice dub!! im just a youngin so i dont have as many as you, but ive definitely held a wide variety of jobs

installing rooftop satellites
cashier at acmoore
janitor at an apartment complex
book binder (putting spiral bindings in text books, notebooks etc)
telemarketer :cryb:
paper cutting/jogging/stacking (for "time to re-order" cards and informational brochures)
bicycle repairman
vacuum salesman
tire salesman/ basic mechanic (tires, oil, batteries)
architectural drafter
architectural engineer/ autocad

SomeBeach
06/23/2009, 06:29 AM
Its sad to see people that have lost jobs or had hours cut. Around here they talk recession but so many people don't want to work. I have had people come out to poor a sidewalk, put trim in den, and install counter tops. I couldn't get the companies to even call me back. I called a builder to inquire about building me a house. The builder never called back. The concrete guy came by and complained about how he was going bankrupt and was losing one of his 9 homes. Then he never calls back with estimate. Last time I saw him he was leaving in his new Hummer. Kinda makes you sick.:mado:

Ldub
06/23/2009, 07:12 AM
Hairdresser? As in licensed and all?

Believe it or don't...held a licence for four years before I ran away & moved to the Big Island...:cool:

JHarris1385
06/23/2009, 07:26 AM
That is pretty interesting....My wife is a hairstylist.

vt_maverick
06/23/2009, 08:15 AM
If anybody's looking for a job and has either IT education/experience or is prior military, PM me and I may be able to hook you up. I work for a defense contractor and (so far) business is still booming. At a minimum we have locations in Virginia, Florida, Ohio, Texas, California, Hawaii, Germany, and Korea. There aren't necessarily open slots at all those locations, but it gives you an idea of the geographical options you might have.

nfpgasmask
06/23/2009, 09:33 AM
Florida is a little bit more friendly for shooting enthusiasts.

So is Nevada! ;) Joe, do you have a class 3 FFL? How are you obtaining full auto there?

Bart

Joe_Black
06/23/2009, 10:05 AM
So is Nevada! ;) Joe, do you have a class 3 FFL? How are you obtaining full auto there?

Bart
Unless your state is expressly anti-gun you can purchase any transferable full-auto weapon with a one-time $200 transfer tax, basically any machinegun manufactured prior to May 1986 which includes about 18 M134 miniguns. :bgwo: I'm not currently a dealer but have been looking into getting my FFL for LEO/Military so I can get post-86 dealer samples, but now will have to wait until after school and "funding" is available. :yesy: All you need to do is trot yourself down to your local Class 3 dealer, pick something out, pay for it and wait for the paperwork to go through. Takes anywhere from 4 - 6 weeks and then you'll be burning brass at an alarming rate. Here's something interesting I learned through full-auto: If you buy ammo in quantities over a quarter-ton you can get a great bulk shipping discount from UPS!

nfpgasmask
06/23/2009, 10:34 AM
Unless your state is expressly anti-gun you can purchase any transferable full-auto weapon with a one-time $200 transfer tax, basically any machinegun manufactured prior to May 1986 which includes about 18 M134 miniguns. :bgwo: I'm not currently a dealer but have been looking into getting my FFL for LEO/Military so I can get post-86 dealer samples, but now will have to wait until after school and "funding" is available. :yesy: All you need to do is trot yourself down to your local Class 3 dealer, pick something out, pay for it and wait for the paperwork to go through. Takes anywhere from 4 - 6 weeks and then you'll be burning brass at an alarming rate. Here's something interesting I learned through full-auto: If you buy ammo in quantities over a quarter-ton you can get a great bulk shipping discount from UPS!

Well, first of all, I can't even begin to think about affording anything full auto at the moment, but I was just curious as I thought you had to have a class 3 FFL to "own" full auto. I guess I never really looked into it. From what you are saying though, it sounds like a similar process for getting a short barrel shotgun or suppressor. Just pay the tax stamp and do the paperwork and wait. :)

If I ever have a spare $5000 bucks to blow on a gun it's going to be a SVD.

Bart

Joe_Black
06/23/2009, 03:35 PM
If I ever have a spare $5000 bucks to blow on a gun it's going to be a SVD.

Bart
SVD? Don't waste your money, get yourself a Finn M39 for less than $300 and find out why the Russians decided to leave Finland alone. :smilewink

nfpgasmask
06/23/2009, 04:21 PM
SVD? Don't waste your money, get yourself a Finn M39 for less than $300 and find out why the Russians decided to leave Finland alone. :smilewink

Yeah, I have heard those are nice. I just personally have an affinity for all things Com Block, including gas masks. :) I just love the looks of the AK, RPK, SKS, the SVD, etc. My favorite weapons.

If I could have these boys sticking out the top of my Trooper 24/7 it would be cool. :D

http://gasmasks.net/11.jpg

Bart

Joe_Black
06/23/2009, 07:40 PM
As we continue our threadjack ladies and gentlemen... :p

I traded for an AK a while back and it's, umm, interesting. I've looked into getting an RPK as I am a fan of the 7.62X54R round (another plus for the M39!) and it's plentiful as far as milsurp ammo goes, although you learn what to stay away from. Fortunately I've had the pleasure of sampling what got Mr. Kalashnikov pointed in the right direction as a friend has an operational StG43/MP44 and let me just say it's an absolute joy to operate. Although on a recent outing we found some of collectible original WWII issue ammo got mixed into the range box. Woops! Fortunately at only about 600RPM not too much got downrange before we caught on! :eekgray:

http://www.11thpanzer.com/images/weapons/mp44.jpg

Looks like you just missed an event this past weekend but there's a range near you in Fernley that hosts machinegun shoots, so you may want to keep an eye on their site for future events: http://www.mustangrange.org/

nfpgasmask
06/23/2009, 08:16 PM
As we continue our threadjack ladies and gentlemen... :p

I traded for an AK a while back and it's, umm, interesting. I've looked into getting an RPK as I am a fan of the 7.62X54R round (another plus for the M39!) and it's plentiful as far as milsurp ammo goes, although you learn what to stay away from. Fortunately I've had the pleasure of sampling what got Mr. Kalashnikov pointed in the right direction as a friend has an operational StG43/MP44 and let me just say it's an absolute joy to operate. Although on a recent outing we found some of collectible original WWII issue ammo got mixed into the range box. Woops! Fortunately at only about 600RPM not too much got downrange before we caught on! :eekgray:

http://www.11thpanzer.com/images/weapons/mp44.jpg

Looks like you just missed an event this past weekend but there's a range near you in Fernley that hosts machinegun shoots, so you may want to keep an eye on their site for future events: http://www.mustangrange.org/

Yes, I have held a StG43 before, talk about sweet (heavy tho). I would LOVE to have one. Yeah,the Father's Day shoot, wish I coulda went, but I was in San Fran all weekend for another event.

I have been to Knob Creek 4 times tho, shot a full auto MP5, Mac 11, AK, a Thompson!! Lotsafun!

I have a Yugo Zastava M76, its really nice, not chinsey feeling like some of the other crappy AK variants out there (like the Century Arms crap and the Egyptian Maadi). I also have a SIA AK pistol which is *quite* fun to shoot. And I just love my SKS Sportster!

I would like to get into the 54R arena tho, with a nice SVD or NDM-86, and a Mosin Nagant.

:) Bart

Joe_Black
06/23/2009, 09:16 PM
I would like to get into the 54R arena tho, with a nice SVD or NDM-86, and a Mosin Nagant.

:) Bart
I'm mostly an HK collector (G3 and variants) but also am into infantry rifles of the 30's and have a few Swiss K31's and Finn M39's which are my favorites. You seriously need to look at an M39 as they just blow all the other Mosin's away. Shoot me an email or PM sometime and we'll chat bang-sticks. :yesgray: