PDA

View Full Version : How can I tow my vehicross behind my RV

ziralove
06/19/2009, 11:25 AM
I am towing (or wanting to tow) my VX behind my RV; spending the Winter in Mexico. Any suggestions?Also, any ideas on what I ought to do to overall prepare it for the trip and it's long visit?

JAMAS
06/19/2009, 12:05 PM
Perhaps this might help.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15905&highlight=tow+vx

JoFotoz
06/19/2009, 12:11 PM
LOL Jamas...

Are you Ldub in disguise!

Nice guidance!

jo

JAMAS
06/19/2009, 12:45 PM
...wanna be like Ldub, wanna be like Ldub...

:dan_ban::dan_ban::dan_ban::dan_ban:

Moncha
06/19/2009, 02:05 PM
I can watch that banana all day :)

Triathlete
06/19/2009, 02:08 PM
Like'in the new smilies Moncha!

As to the original question...hands down best way...TRAILER!

Riff Raff
06/19/2009, 04:40 PM
For the very best advice, click-on the above "link" in posting #2 by JAMAS.

Joe_Black
06/19/2009, 07:56 PM
A lightweight trailer is the best choice (FeatherLite (http://www.fthr.com/bumper-pull_car-trailer/model3110/)) without getting into seriously modding the VX driveline with such things as locking hubs and driveshaft disconnects. Towing any automatic transmission vehicle without disconnecting the driveline is asking for trouble with anything more than short distances at low speeds.

Chopper
06/20/2009, 06:45 PM
:dan_ban::dan_ban::dan_ban::dan_ban: just never gets old

Chopper
06/20/2009, 06:47 PM
get a trailer....the VX is a terrile candidate for flat towing (or just about any other kind as well) Joe beat me to it

Riff Raff
06/20/2009, 07:33 PM
The best thing to do is leave the VX at home, and get a used cheapo front-wheel drive super-lightweight econobox car (like a Ford Festiva, Kia, Hyundai, etc.). Put the front-wheel drive axle of the car on a single axle "Tow-Dolley" and roll-on down the highway.

Using a full-size car trailer is gonna' be a real PITA when it comes to backing, unloading, and reloading the vehicle, plus it eats up too much frickin' gas towing the entire ensemble. Leave the VX at home!!!

If you still don't believe me it's a royal PITA, then just ask member "Travelin2". He's been there, done that, and even got the T-Shirt. Again, check-out the above "link" in posting #2 by JAMAS.

Ldub
06/21/2009, 12:26 AM
LOL Jamas...

Are you Ldub in disguise!

Nice guidance!

jo

...wanna be like Ldub, wanna be like Ldub...

:dan_ban::dan_ban::dan_ban::dan_ban:

You guys make me :laughing:...:laughing:...:laughing:

Thanks!....I like to :laughing:

Ldub
06/21/2009, 05:39 AM
I can watch that banana all day :)

Mmphtttt...snicker...I'm really tryin' to behave myself here Boss...:laughing:

You just make it so darned difficult!...:laughing:

(notice I didn't say hard?)

don moore
06/21/2009, 11:30 PM
Mmphtttt...snicker...I'm really tryin' to behave myself here Boss...:laughing:

You just make it so darned difficult!...:laughing:

(notice I didn't say hard?)

Scott scares me some time.... X2

ziralove
06/26/2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks for all the advise, I really want to take it due to its' many features..can't find a high, small, 4wd in Mexico; We take jungle trails, over streams etc. Does anyone know where I can locate a featherlight trailer (my tow hitch says 4,000lb; so I'm right up there from the start) I truly dislike the word can't and impossible, there must be a way,I wish>

tom4bren
06/26/2009, 11:41 AM
Shop online for the best deals.

http://www.trailersforless.com/

That's the first hit when googling 'car trailers'. They are in Georgia but sell nationwide.

Greasemonkey
06/27/2009, 08:34 AM
Can't you just select neutral on the hi-lo shift - this should stop the gear box turning -
cheers
Steve

Joe_Black
06/27/2009, 11:46 AM
Can't you just select neutral on the hi-lo shift - this should stop the gear box turning -
cheers
Steve
There isn't one, plus that's just for the transfer case. You still have to contend with the automatic which is a big tow no-no.

Joe_Black
06/27/2009, 11:49 AM
Shop online for the best deals.

http://www.trailersforless.com/

That's the first hit when googling 'car trailers'. They are in Georgia but sell nationwide.
Unfortunately no Featherlites. They cost a bit more but you get a lot of that money back in fuel and maintenance savings, plus you can haul 40% more on an aluminum trailer than a comparable steel trailer. Not to mention Featherlites actually hold their value well which is generally a foreign concept with trailers. ;)

nocturnalVX
06/27/2009, 12:18 PM
Just grab about 10 feet of chain from any hardware store, loop it through the front cladding, and fasten it to the rear of your RV. You are now ready to drag your VX wherever you wish! :bwgy:

nocturnalVX
06/27/2009, 12:20 PM
Put it on a trailer to get all 4 wheels off the road. :thumbup:

Greasemonkey
06/27/2009, 01:12 PM
Hi - i have a neutral on mine - the section in between hi and lo = no drive - if the transfer case doesn't turn then the gear box shouldn't - or are the autos different?
cheers
Steve

Joe_Black
06/27/2009, 02:07 PM
Your transfer case drives the front axle from the transmission (either manual or auto) whereas the rear axle is driven by the transmission, so in the case of the auto the rear axle would need to be disconnected but I believe there isn't a neutral position in the TOD transfer case.

Riff Raff
06/27/2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all the advise, I really want to take it due to its' many features..can't find a high, small, 4wd in Mexico; We take jungle trails, over streams etc. Does anyone know where I can locate a featherlight trailer (my tow hitch says 4,000lb; so I'm right up there from the start) I truly dislike the word can't and impossible, there must be a way,I wish>

ZIRALOVE--- Here is the information you requested. I see you live in Seattle, WA and the nearest FEATHERLITE Brand Trailer Dealership to you is in Snohomish, WA which is about 32 miles away to the North (according to MapQuest). You didn't specify if you wanted an "open" or "enclosed" trailer, so I listed both models for your convenience.

FEATHERLITE Brand Trailer Dealership, Washington State:

BICKFORD MOTORS, INC.
3100 Bickford Avenue
Snohomish, WA 98291

Bus. Hours: Mon--Sat, 9:00am--5:00pm
Fre: (800) 242-5367
Tel: (360) 568-2122
Fax: (360) 563-0946
Eml: maggic@bickford.net
Web: www.Fthr.com/Dealers/WashingtonState

MODEL #3110 - "Open" Flatbed Aluminum Car Trailer
Available in 14' & 17' & 20' w/6' ramps.

MODEL #4926 - "Enclosed" Car Aluminum Car Trailer
Available in 20' & 24' w/ramp.

Check-out the above mentioned website, and then go visit the dealership in person. Look-up the actual VX dimensions in the Owner's Manual, so you can determine which trailer is best suited for the VX. When you visit the dealership; leave your VX at home and drive your "tow vehicle" with trailer hitch to the dealership in case you decide to buy one on-the-spot, then you can take the empty trailer back home with you.

Bring your checkbook!!! FeatherLite Brand Aluminum Trailers are very, very expensive. They are absolutely the best trailer on the market and are the only trailers that maintain their resale value. They are worth every penny.

If you decide to buy a FeatherLite Trailer; be sure and lock-it to the truck and chain-it w/high security padlock & logging-chain to a permanent object whenever parked outside by itself, and with an additional hitch-lock on the trailer ball hitch. They are the #1 most favorite trailer sought after by trailer thieves. If you don't properly secure it, it WILL get stolen!!!

Travelin2
06/28/2009, 08:31 AM
When you recover from the sticker shock of the featherlites you might think about buying mine. I've towed it a total of about 200 mi. All C channel construction and automotive quality paint. Bought it 2 months ago. Paid $2,450 will sell for $1980.

Joe_Black
06/28/2009, 12:46 PM
When you recover from the sticker shock of the featherlites you might think about buying mine. I've towed it a total of about 200 mi. All C channel construction and automotive quality paint. Bought it 2 months ago. Paid $2,450 will sell for $1980.

About a dollar a pound? :p

handeeman
06/28/2009, 01:06 PM
About a dollar a pound? :p
That's a lot cheaper than steak and think what ya have left after a steak. At least this way you'd still have a trailer. (a nice lookin trailer I might add )

Joe_Black
06/28/2009, 02:41 PM
Oh, I'm just funnin'! :bgwo: I've got plenty of steel trailers from 8 ft. up to 50 ft. and would rather pull aluminum any day of the week. Yup, they're pricey but you get back some of that expense with every mile they follow you somewhere. It costs fuel and drivetrain abuse to haul unnecessary weight and extra brake wear to stop it, so the more you lighten the load the less the load lightens your wallet!