PDA

View Full Version : Front Articulation..........

SPAZZ
07/28/2003, 09:09 AM
Does any one know how to get more articulation in the front on the VX???? many will agree that the articulation in the rear is good...while the front has hardly any...?...

Tone
07/28/2003, 10:52 AM
Disconnect the Sway bar - mine scored the highest RTI (832 I think) of any IFS vehicle there in Moab when I disconnected the sway bars. Made a huge difference on the trails the next day!

Swordy should be able to help you with any other tricks out there that maybe the Heepsters use but they aren’t IFS...

SPAZZ
07/28/2003, 11:20 PM
Was that a crack at Jeeps?????:confused:

SGT.BATGUANO
07/28/2003, 11:24 PM
No, that was a term of endearment;)

BigMeatVX
07/29/2003, 12:48 AM
Yes, I know how.........

For maximum front articulation you will need the following:

Sway bar disconects
Calminis upper A-arms
remove upper bumpstop completly
"trim" lower bumpstop 1/2"
Upper ball joint mount flip with spacers (3/4")
Add lower ball joint mount spacers (1/2")
Replace outer front cross-member bolts (2) with lower profile Hex head units (to clear lower A-arm)

These will allow your front wheel travel to increase to a whopping 10" !!!!!!!!! ....... set your ride height correctly and you will have 5" up-travel and 5" down travel.....NICE!!!!!....

Also helpfull, is to add another rubber bushing UNDER the top shock mount (1/2")....... yes the threads ARE long enough

And of course, drop the front axle 2", and save your CVs

(2+inches is the amount of downtravel you will gain from these)
(More if you took the measurments with the sway bar still on)

And there is a gain in upward travel as well.......

Allan

SPAZZ
07/29/2003, 07:28 AM
ok, I have had the ball joints flipped and I know about the sway bar disconnecting.....but Calmini does not offer the extended control arms and have not offered them for quite some time.
I tried to purchase them 6 months agao and they told me they discontinued them due to lack of interest. So, that is out.

Now, how much difference does the rest make? is trimming cladding more an issue with all that up travel and does the tire bind up at the top of travel?

Swordy
07/29/2003, 12:23 PM
Those control arms wouldn't give you any more articultation anyway. Thats not what they were designed for. And by the way if you have anymore upward articulation you'll dust your cladding.