PDA

View Full Version : To park or Not to Park -- or Sell

KeithVXlvr
06/17/2009, 12:36 PM
O.K. here we go.... I have a 2005 Honda CRV. It is an excellent vehicle and goes almost anywhere... it is paid for and I use it for camping, biking, fishing, skiing, etc... It really runs great and works hard!!!

However, I now have a 2001 Kaiser VX: 58,150 miles, all stock except for the new 285/60 R18's. Runs great, doesn't burn oil, doesn't leak any fluids, has a new main belt, battery, wiper blades and all fluids have been changed about 3k ago... It is in great shape and I love driving it.

In about 50 days I will get a 1994 Jeep Cherokee with 60,000 original miles (it was my aunts, then my cousin drove it (girl), then my nephew has been driving it to High school the last 3 years -- the only time it has been off road was when I took it out once myself..... It is a cream-puff. I will be getting it for $500, then putting some tires a lift etc.. into it. This will then become my off-road, camping, skiing, fishing, biking, etc... vehicle.

So the Jeep for outdoor stuff and the CRV for in town etc.... The question is then, What to do with the VX ???

I could sell it... I'd want at least a 10K min. If someone wants it, it is a turn-key VX. You do not need to get this one and then put on tires ($1,000) and get it serviced ($300 - $700 - depending on what is needed: fluids brakes etc....) I have done it all and only owned it about 3 months. I have all the manuals the original window sticker etc... I am the 3rd owner.

I could store it in a nice warm garage under a sheet forever.... And take it out for trips on nice warm dry summer days... Keep the mileage down and see if we can get to 2011 with around 65K on it ... low miles = high value. :p

Or, I could just drive it whenever the heck I want... in town, out of town, take it skiing, camping, fishing sometimes instead of the Jeep.

Hmmmm......... I am not really in the position to have a 10k car sitting in the garage for 5 years but, I do not want to damage it and the Jeep is basically being given to me so....... What to do with my VX ???

Thoughs ?? :happyface

johnny010
06/17/2009, 12:42 PM
I bought mine for times when I just want a clean kept vehicle that is washed and ready to go, ie: date night/night out etc.... I've never had time to keep my daily driver in mint condition, but when I go out on the weekends, it's nice to hop in something that's rare, clean and hey, it looks a hella lot better than a CRV.

circmand
06/17/2009, 12:49 PM
O.K. here we go.... I have a 2005 Honda CRV. It is an excellent vehicle and goes almost anywhere... it is paid for and I use it for camping, biking, fishing, skiing, etc... It really runs great and works hard!!!

However, I now have a 2001 Kaiser VX: 58,150 miles, all stock except for the new 285/60 R18's. Runs great, doesn't burn oil, doesn't leak any fluids, has a new main belt, battery, wiper blades and all fluids have been changed about 3k ago... It is in great shape and I love driving it.

In about 50 days I will get a 1994 Jeep Cherokee with 60,000 original miles (it was my aunts, then my cousin drove it (girl), then my nephew has been driving it to High school the last 3 years -- the only time it has been off road was when I took it out once myself..... It is a cream-puff. I will be getting it for $500, then putting some tires a lift etc.. into it. This will then become my off-road, camping, skiing, fishing, biking, etc... vehicle.

So the Jeep for outdoor stuff and the CRV for in town etc.... The question is then, What to do with the VX ???

I could sell it... I'd want at least a 10K min. If someone wants it, it is a turn-key VX. You do not need to get this one and then put on tires ($1,000) and get it serviced ($300 - $700 - depending on what is needed: fluids brakes etc....) I have done it all and only owned it about 3 months. I have all the manuals the original window sticker etc... I am the 3rd owner.

I could store it in a nice warm garage under a sheet forever.... And take it out for trips on nice warm dry summer days... Keep the mileage down and see if we can get to 2011 with around 65K on it ... low miles = high value. :p

Or, I could just drive it whenever the heck I want... in town, out of town, take it skiing, camping, fishing sometimes instead of the Jeep.

Hmmmm......... I am not really in the position to have a 10k car sitting in the garage for 5 years but, I do not want to damage it and the Jeep is basically being given to me so....... What to do with my VX ???

Thoughs ?? :happyface

You rank a 2005 CRV and a 1994 Jeep Cherokee higher on the keep list than a VX I say sell it to someone who knows how to appreciate it.

pbkid
06/17/2009, 12:51 PM
umm......sell the CRV or the Jeep and put some money into your VX...

why would you rather drive the CRV or Jeep??? do you really have a need for 3 SUV's???

i dont see why you would make parking or selling your VX your first choice...sounds like a much better vehicle than the Jeep (if the jeep has been through 2 high schoolers, its probably pretty beat up)

nfpgasmask
06/17/2009, 12:52 PM
You rank a 2005 CRV and a 1994 Jeep Cherokee higher on the keep list than a VX I say sell it to someone who knows how to appreciate it.

x2

There is no dilemma there. The CRV should be on the chopping block, not the VX.

Bart

pbkid
06/17/2009, 12:56 PM
x2

Bart

the CRV or the Jeep should be first to be gotten rid of...not the VX..

KeithVXlvr
06/17/2009, 01:23 PM
Hmmmm....... interesting input. Perhaps my phrasing is not clear.

I do not have the CRV or Jeep higher on the keep list. I fully agree the VX is the better car.. that is not the issue. I love driving it and owning it and being seen it it etc.......

I guess the real questions is... since I will have other vehicles... I have the opportunity to put the VX in a heated garage and cover with a nice cotton blanket. Keep it warm and in show car condition for the forseeable future.

I do not want to beat up the VX... I do not want to bounce it off a stump, F-it up loading all my gear in it and on it.. including the dog.

Is it better to store a perfect VX or sell it...

KeithVXlvr
06/17/2009, 01:28 PM
But then my VX will be the daily driver and I do not want to put miles on it...... Store it or sell it ???

Gussie2000
06/17/2009, 01:33 PM
x2

Bart

I wouldn't even consider getting the jeep.
Save the $500 & use it to mod the CR-V suspension & get it on higher inches for off road.
The CR-V is a excelent crossover plus is a more reliable SUV.

LittleBeast
06/17/2009, 01:39 PM
Exactly what everyone else is saying, CRV is a terrible excuse for a soccer mom's 4 door hatchback, and the Jeep well is a Jeep, kinda, but the VX is and always will be Unique. Can't put a price on that. The VX could be your daily driver, or off-road beast, but do not get rid of it, scrap the CRV piece of crap :)

JGeorge264
06/17/2009, 01:40 PM
You could keep the CRV and Jeep and give me the vx.. mine needs a little brother... :bgwo:

MSHardeman
06/17/2009, 01:46 PM
Keith, I have to say that I envy your position. Right before the economy tanked I was looking for a daily driver so I could park the VX and stop putting miles on it. As SOON as I am able I totally plan on buying a second car, paving the way for the VX to become a garage queen. She'll be pampered (even more than she is now) and will only be taken out on sunny days for "fun" trips.

You really seem to love the VX so I would say that if it's paid for, or isn't taxing your finances too much, you should keep it. Reduce the insurance on it to strictly recreational and park it in the garage.

That's my two cents.

nfpgasmask
06/17/2009, 02:04 PM
Hmmmm....... interesting input. Perhaps my phrasing is not clear.

I do not have the CRV or Jeep higher on the keep list. I fully agree the VX is the better car.. that is not the issue. I love driving it and owning it and being seen it it etc.......

I guess the real questions is... since I will have other vehicles... I have the opportunity to put the VX in a heated garage and cover with a nice cotton blanket. Keep it warm and in show car condition for the forseeable future.

I do not want to beat up the VX... I do not want to bounce it off a stump, F-it up loading all my gear in it and on it.. including the dog.

Is it better to store a perfect VX or sell it...

100% store it and baby it. I'm pretty much there right now. I will drive her a couple times a month, and later this summer when (if) I have some spare cash, she is going to the body shop to have all the dents, dings, and scratches fixed, and I will replace the headlights with brand new ones and install a new hood insert. I can't wait to see it, she's gonna look brand spankin' new!

:D Bart

PittVXr
06/17/2009, 02:23 PM
I too have a 2005 CRV and a VX. If I had to make a choice I would push the CRV into the river without a second thought. Every morning I get in my VX, look up the street and see 3 other CRVs parked on my block. I probably pass another dozen or so on my way to work. In 7 months of ownership I have only seen one other VX driving around town. I for one love driving a vehicle that isn't like everyone else. I watched someone stop outside of my office yesterday to check it out. The CRV never gets a second look unless it is from another red CRV owner who parked next to me at the grocery store wondering which one is hers.

Find a way to keep the Vehicross.

KeithVXlvr
06/17/2009, 02:25 PM
You could keep the CRV and Jeep and give me the vx.. mine needs a little brother... :bgwo:

JGEORGE, Thanks for showing up for the Pacific Northwest Meet...... Oh that is right, you missed it.

A little brother will run you $10K. :p

KeithVXlvr
06/17/2009, 02:27 PM
I too have a 2005 CRV and a VX. If I had to make a choice I would push the CRV into the river without a second thought. Every morning I get in my VX, look up the street and see 3 other CRVs parked on my block. I probably pass another dozen or so on my way to work. In 7 months of ownership I have only seen one other VX driving around town. I for one love driving a vehicle that isn't like everyone else. I watched someone stop outside of my office yesterday to check it out. The CRV never gets a second look unless it is from another red CRV owner who parked next to me at the grocery store wondering which one is hers.

Find a way to keep the Vehicross.

I can keep it, if I decide to. All the cars are paid for. I usually only make one payment on a car. :smilewink

circmand
06/17/2009, 02:34 PM
that may not be in as good of shape pay for it with the proceeds of selling the Jeep and CRX. Baby one and daily drive the other. A 2nd can be had for $5500 here on this site.

pbkid
06/17/2009, 02:39 PM
cars arent lawn ornaments or artwork....

they are the WORST investment one can make...

so are you really gonna spend your money investing on such a bad investment??

drive your VX and enjoy the hell out of it.. thats my vote

KeithVXlvr
06/17/2009, 03:36 PM
Cars are not lawn oraments -- yes, I know.

They are poor investment -- yes, I know.

so are you really gonna spend your money investing on such a bad investment?? Ummm... this is not an investment. It is a cherry VX with low miles and I want to keep it that way.... i.e., the Jeep for off road.. I do not want to damage the VX......

drive your VX and enjoy the hell out of it.. thats my vote One vote counted. I think I'll park it and see how it goes in 10 years when I have 70K on it. :yesgray:

JGeorge264
06/17/2009, 04:04 PM
JGEORGE, Thanks for showing up for the Pacific Northwest Meet...... Oh that is right, you missed it.

"Ohhh Ouch" :( would love to have made the meet but I work Sundays.

A little brother will run you $10K. :p

If I had $10K for a little brother I wouldn't have said "give" :rolly: I was just tryin to help a bud out.. sounded like the easiest solution to your problem.. :yesb:

AK Falco
06/17/2009, 04:06 PM
Keith You Have a super ride! I think if you sell your VX you will regret it as soon as you give the keys to some lucky guy who gets in it, stomps on the gas and then T bone'd by a fully loaded semi truck!;eekb; Or just drives away with the best PUV on the road.:_crying: A jeep for 500 dollars is a good buy. if it wouldent offend any of the family you could sell that, maby look for another VX like circmand said.;):yesgray: You could buy my 1968 VW baja bug! or find a samuri that is all ready lifted and ready for off road action( find one with lockers)

I dont think selling it is what you want to do. 02.$

KeithVXlvr
06/17/2009, 04:45 PM
AK Falco,

I really do not have selling it in my heart.. I am just torn between wanting to keep it pristine and needing something better than the CRV to off-road with. That was part of the reason to buy the VX in the first place.

I have taken the VX off road and it does just fine... remember, I am the only one in the USA who has put down the cabbage for the Kilby - Bomb Proof - skid plate. ( way better than aluminum or fibreglass :) )

But, with parts hard to come by and the destruction off roading puts on it... I just hate to see it decline...... So I thought I'd park it.

When I go off-road, I tend to beat the **** out of the vehicle: bounce off stumps, tree limbs leaving scratches all over the sides, denting the bumper and lower panels etc.... So, I am getting really wary of going all out in the VX - because I love it so !!!!!!! And an - almost free - Jeep will go anywhere the VX will.... as far as I know. :confused:

You are right, I'd probably want to shoot myself the second I handed over the keys :mado::madb::mady::upsetgray:mad::(:mado::madgray:

KeithVXlvr
06/17/2009, 04:48 PM
JGeorge264,

Thanks for the offer, I guess I glossed over the "give" part of the sentence.

Maybe we should meet for a little ride and a beer.

But not on a Sunday !!

Riff Raff
06/17/2009, 06:39 PM
KeithVXlvr---

Ok, let's analyze your parameter requirements and come to the best solution for all of the criteria:

2005 Honda CRV = For urban usage.
1994 Jeep for $500 = Sweet deal, immediate profitability.

VX Criteria & Solution:
o Maintain Low Mileage = Disconnect Speedometer Cable.
o Don't want to abuse VX off-road = Drive slow only in "Low Range".
o Minimize VX gear & dog clutter = Get organized & put dog in kennel transport cage.
o Park VX in garage with cotton sheet = Good idea; do it.
o Only one in USA that purchased K.E. "belly pan" skid plates = Incorrect, you're the only one in the frickin' WORLD.

PROBLEM-SOLVING SOLUTION & CONCLUSION:

1994 Jeep = For Sale.

rowhard
06/17/2009, 07:08 PM
KeithVXlvr---

Ok, let's analyze your parameter requirements and come to the best solution for all of the criteria:

VX Criteria & Solution:
o Minimize VX gear & dog clutter = Get organized & put dog in kennel transport cage.
o Only one in USA that purchased K.E. "belly pan" skid plates = Incorrect, you're the only one in the frickin' WORLD.

1994 Jeep = For Sale.

yea, second that. Take the jeep, sell it, drive that crv or what ever the hell it is daily, and bring out that beautiful VX with the 800 dollar belly pan you just bought on sunny afternoons and all VX meets for the next decade

AK Falco
06/17/2009, 09:07 PM
KeithVXlvr---

VX Criteria & Solution:

1994 Jeep = For Sale.

lol funny stuff. The skid plate makes it a kaiser tank! or was is a sherman? i cant remember what we decided on.

KeithVXlvr
06/17/2009, 09:40 PM
Holy crud, I am laughing pretty hard.

Riff Raff, You are correct. And thank you for your logical decision making and explanation.

I think I'll be available for more VX meets in the future.

Thanks for indulging my "thought" process.

VehiGAZ
06/18/2009, 07:25 AM
Store it or sell it ???

My two cents...

You will probably not be able to get $10k for the VX, IMHO (I just sold a supercharged '99 VX with 106k on the clock for around $8k, after several price reductions), so selling it will not satisfy you.

If you park it and wait, you are making a bet on the eventual collectibility of the VX. I think you are blindly assuming that it will appreciate over the next 4 or 5 years, but there is absolutely no indication from the current market that it will become collectible. Quite to the contrary - Isuzus have depreciated significantly with the company's departure from the US market. If you put your VX in the garage now when it's worth $8k or so, you will most likely pull it out when it's worth $4k. Or less. So I don't think you will be happy with that plan, either.

Good luck.

KeithVXlvr
06/18/2009, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't park it to make money.

I'd park it to keep it nice.

I hate to see it get run down......

tom4bren
06/18/2009, 08:32 AM
Kevin ... er ... Keith,

Get the jeep & only fix it up enough to satisfy your needs. It'll be your DD & beater.

Sell the CRV since you won't need it.

The VX stays in the driveway (or garage) as the Pride & Joy. It comes out for picnics, meet-n-greets, goin to church on Sunday ...

I have the VX insured for pleasure use only and only rack up 2-3K miles per year on it.

KeithVXlvr
06/18/2009, 10:11 AM
Kevin ... er ... Keith,

Get the jeep & only fix it up enough to satisfy your needs. It'll be your DD & beater.

Sell the CRV since you won't need it.

The VX stays in the driveway (or garage) as the Pride & Joy. It comes out for picnics, meet-n-greets, goin to church on Sunday ...

I have the VX insured for pleasure use only and only rack up 2-3K miles per year on it.

Now that sounds like a great idea. :)

Cobrajet
06/19/2009, 01:12 PM
I definitely agree that you should keep the VX, pampered and pristine, for future display, not as an investment. My '82 Mustang may not be worth a plugged nickle, but now that they are getting more scarce, it does turn more heads. It's also my backup driver if I ever needed to put the VX in the shop. Neither this Mustang nor my Cobra were ever intended to be "investments", and the Mustang has over 230,000 miles of hard duty to show for it. Some day I would like to restore it like I did my Cobra, but I don't have an extra garage stall. Keep the VX, but don't ignore it!

KeithVXlvr
06/19/2009, 01:39 PM
Nice advice. Cobrajet.