PDA

View Full Version : I'm A Bloody Idiot !!!!!!!!

crotchrocket
06/15/2009, 12:44 AM
Cause mine's not !!

It looks like it should, but its called an idle pulley in the manual. Got VERY muddy yesterday and thinking its seized??

don moore
06/15/2009, 12:51 AM
ouch.. better get some WD40 or JB80 and get it free.......

crotchrocket
06/15/2009, 12:55 AM
Tried some WD40 (as i've been hasling alanbradley over the phone already this morning) but its still not free yet. Using a spanner but its undoing the pulley. grrrrrrr all my work clothes now covered in mud......................MONDAYS.......JOY

crotchrocket
06/15/2009, 02:50 AM
This is the one, you can see the state of my beld :(

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/IMG00103.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/IMG00102.jpg

Ldub
06/15/2009, 02:58 AM
Yep, that should be spinning.

Sounds like you need a new bearing at the very least...:sighwgray

IF that bit can be replaced seperately...:_confused

alanbradley
06/15/2009, 03:52 AM
Yeah... I've suggested either a new bit from Milner Off-Road (if they stock them) or a used one from GT4x4 who say they're breaking a 3.5 Trooper at the moment...

We did get rather filthy.

A

WormGod
06/15/2009, 08:01 AM
+1 for keeping my VX ONroad. ;)

I could swear I read a thread some time ago that talked about rebuilding the bearing chamber for the idle pulley. Anyone remember that? I searched and couldn't find it though.

I do imagine you could get one quite cheap. I would think that it pretty universal too.

crotchrocket
06/15/2009, 08:59 AM
Dont have time to look at it today but will see if i can pull it apart tomorrow eve. i will need a new timing belt too :(

nfpgasmask
06/15/2009, 09:16 AM
You mean you will need a new DRIVE BELT/SERPENTINE BELT. Your timing belt is behind the black plastic covers and should be mud free.

So wait, the belt is just "sliding" over this pulley right now? I would imagine that will cause some heat build up and eventual failure. I would park your VX until you get that part swapped. Should be pretty easy to do.

And yet another example of why I hate mud.

:) Bart

crotchrocket
06/15/2009, 09:19 AM
yep its parked up thanks,

cant do it tonight as im off to see the Kings Of Leon in an hour !!! :D :D :D

nfpgasmask
06/15/2009, 09:19 AM
I do imagine you could get one quite cheap. I would think that it pretty universal too.

Yeah, a new Gatorback serp belt is only $40 USD, so no major loss there. The pulley might be more difficult to find, or not, but who knows how much it will cost.

Crotch, if you have trouble getting one, just PM me and I can call Merlin and see what his price is. I am a regular at my post office so I can easily ship one over to you if all else fails...provided you cover the various costs...

:) Bart

PS - Did I mention how much I hate mud?

alanbradley
06/15/2009, 10:00 AM
Over here we have no choice but mud really... Yesterday was "sandy mud" not "clay mud". At least this stuff washes off after 2 goes with the power washer.

A

nfpgasmask
06/15/2009, 10:08 AM
Over here we have no choice but mud really... Yesterday was "sandy mud" not "clay mud". At least this stuff washes off after 2 goes with the power washer.

A

Yeah, it's the same back in the mid-western US. Lost of clay and mud, just messy stuff. I still think you guys got it bad though. I remember when I was in London in 2001 it rained. Rained some more. Then hailed. Then continued to rain. It rained pretty much the whole time, iirc. :)

Bart

pbkid
06/15/2009, 10:30 AM
hey bart...how hard is it to replace our serpentine belt to replace?? mine is looking pretty bad, im thinking its time to replace..

nfpgasmask
06/15/2009, 10:54 AM
hey bart...how hard is it to replace our serpentine belt to replace?? mine is looking pretty bad, im thinking its time to replace..

I takes like 5-10 minutes, seriously. All you need is a breaker bar (for length) and the right socket. You attach it to the tensioner pulley, pull towards the driver's side, the old belt goes slack, you remove it, and put the new one on in the right config (see below). DONE.

http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/how-tos/tb/serp.gif

Bart

Triathlete
06/15/2009, 11:29 AM
You can buy just the pulley and replace it (along with the belt of course). I had the same pulley seize. I got mine from the local Checkers Auto and it was under $20. Definately replace the belt though...the friction of the belt sliding on the non turning pulley causes a lot of heat which weakens the belt.

As far as mud...be carefull with your alternator (night want to buy and carry an extra). The alt. sits very low in the VX. Clear water does not seem to affect them much. Mud and gritty waters however have claimed the death of many VX and Isuzu alternators!

etlsport
06/15/2009, 06:03 PM
yep serpentine is real easy.. easier if you have a friend to hold the tensioner pulley for you so you have both hands to route the belt though.. iirc it is a 14mm socket you need

crotchrocket
06/16/2009, 05:01 AM
thanks for the help guys!! and thanks Bart for the Visual!! I love mud :D

So theres nothing needs keeping in the same place when changing the belt, ie nothing will go out of time?? Also i'm confused, do we call this a timing belt here and the one behind the casing a cam belt????

Ldub
06/16/2009, 05:34 AM
thanks for the help guys!! and thanks Bart for the Visual!! I love mud :D

So theres nothing needs keeping in the same place when changing the belt, ie nothing will go out of time?? Also i'm confused, do we call this a timing belt here and the one behind the casing a cam belt????

That's the serpentine belt, used for spinning the various system thingies (power steering, AC, alternator, etc)

The timing (cam) belt is behind the plastic cover(s).

crotchrocket
06/16/2009, 05:45 AM
Sweet thanks!! bet your all worried now that i'm working on my own car not knowing a timing belt from a fan belt, :D

don moore
06/16/2009, 07:39 AM
remember ..you chaps have to put the belt on from the right hand side first ...we do it from the left.....lol... j/k:p

mdwyer
06/16/2009, 07:59 AM
remember ..you chaps have to put the belt on from the right hand side first ...we do it from the left.....lol... j/k:p

In Australia, the pulleys all turn the opposite way.

nfpgasmask
06/16/2009, 08:27 AM

The belt that you are changing (drive belt/serp belt) is not timed to anything. The crankshaft pulley (the big pulley at the bottom) spins as your engine runs and "drives" the drive belt. The drive belt then keeps all the other stuff spinning. So no, nothing at all to worry about with this belt. Old one off, new one on. :thumbup:

You mean because they are below the equator? :D

Bart

don moore
06/16/2009, 08:30 AM
i heard the hot water is on the right side as well...hehe

etlsport
06/16/2009, 08:09 PM

in russia, the belt turns you ;Db;

you know i was under my hood today and just kinda glanced at the idler pulley and got kinda upset cause it didnt look like it was spinning at all.. i was almost dumb enough to try touching it.. but thought better of it, so i grabbed a grease pencil and marked it, it was spinning, just so fast it looked like it was still

VX-157
06/16/2009, 08:24 PM

Dont forget you need a left hand spanner ;)

Be right back bloody kangroo has my dog bailed up in the top paddock :eek:

don moore
06/16/2009, 09:52 PM
Be right back bloody kangroo has my dog bailed up in the top paddock :eek:[/QUOTE]

WHAT THE @#$$ does that mean....:confused:

pbkid
06/16/2009, 11:07 PM
Be right back bloody kangroo has my dog bailed up in the top paddock :eek:

WHAT THE @#$$ does that mean....:confused:

X2!!!! i understood like half of that sentence

in russia, the belt turns you ;Db;

you know i was under my hood today and just kinda glanced at the idler pulley and got kinda upset cause it didnt look like it was spinning at all.. i was almost dumb enough to try touching it.. but thought better of it, so i grabbed a grease pencil and marked it, it was spinning, just so fast it looked like it was still

probably not a great idea to reach your hand into a running motor in the belt area...

crotchrocket
06/17/2009, 02:36 AM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b83/Xero64/off-topic.jpg

:D :D :D

crotchrocket
06/17/2009, 05:52 AM
ooooooooooooooooooopppppppppsssssssssss :p

Turns (no pun intended) out the Idle Pulley that i said was knackered has been turning the whole time and there is NOTHING wrong with it lol, you guys should have picked it up with the photo i posted of me trying to move it with a socket wrench !!!!! the middle doesnt bloody move hahaha, there is an outer spindal that moves and it was going so quick i couldnt see it so i have been using public transport for no reason!!!! hahahahah im such an idiot its actually amusing!!

Turns out the noise i heard was just all the crap in the engine bay so i washed it last night and drove to work today :D its fine,,,,,,

Just to stand up for my self though i was late to work, the car was the muddiest its ever been and i was in work clothes, it was 8am Monday morning and my brain wasn't in gear and i paniced and thought sh*t im late i'll jump on the tube to work...............thats my excuse anyway :D

Fell free to give me a virual slap :D

heres the pic
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/crotchrocket3000/vehicross/IMG00103.jpg

Moncha
06/17/2009, 06:22 AM
:_iamwiths

:slap:

You asked for it!

** I merged your threads**

crotchrocket
06/17/2009, 06:27 AM
lol, i know i did!!

nfpgasmask
06/17/2009, 08:58 AM
Man, I should have caught that. Having just removed all those pulleys to do my timing belt, I should have noted that those bolts are what retains the pulley and it is not what actually spins.

Its all good, part of the learning process. The best part is, your VX is fine and you have nothing to fix (for now)!

:_beer:

Bart

alanbradley
06/17/2009, 10:08 AM
Tit!

I've learnt something today though...

A

don moore
06/17/2009, 10:28 AM
i thought the pic was to ask if that was the pully ..and saw that you were removing it to see if it was a bad berring .....lol.....hey its ok.. like non of us have done this kind of thing????.. well maybe not LDUB..he never does anything wrong..:p

crotchrocket
06/17/2009, 11:12 AM
Tit!

I've learnt something today though...

A

not to listen to what I say or answer the phone at 8am on Monday mornings ?? :D

Triathlete
06/17/2009, 01:31 PM
Yep, should have said if the pulley was seized you would smell and see the belt smoking when the engine was running. Also the edges of the belt would be shiney and brittle from melting.

alanbradley
06/17/2009, 02:28 PM
not to listen to what I say or answer the phone at 8am on Monday mornings ?? :D

Scarily true... I was only one coffee down and had been up since 5 so you were lucky I even approached making sense!

:p

A

newthings
06/17/2009, 04:00 PM
Belt looks badly cracked. Replace belt.
Roy

crotchrocket
06/18/2009, 02:04 AM
Belt looks badly cracked. Replace belt.
Roy

Will do!! got one coming tomorrow!!!

tom4bren
06/18/2009, 09:11 AM
I had an AC compressor sieze on the TLC years ago. Sounded like nothing you've ever heard before. Just food for thought. If anything belt driven siezes in the future ... you'll know.

Greasemonkey
06/23/2009, 02:28 AM
Hi james - the belt and pulley can be got from Vauxhall - its the same as the frontera V6 - i already replaced mine and have a spare belt in the boot - the pulley is about £30 - and the belt is £12
regards
Steve

crotchrocket
06/23/2009, 02:36 AM
Hi james - the belt and pulley can be got from Vauxhall - its the same as the frontera V6 - i already replaced mine and have a spare belt in the boot - the pulley is about £30 - and the belt is £12
regards
Steve

Nice one steve, got a new belt so just need to pop it on!

Greasemonkey
06/24/2009, 12:02 PM
When you need a timing belt let me know - the only one that fits exactly is a genuine belt - Isuzu don't allow Gates or anyone to make an exact copy - i have a full belt kit with idler and tensioner etc in the garage
cheers
Steve

crotchrocket
06/24/2009, 12:28 PM
When you need a timing belt let me know - the only one that fits exactly is a genuine belt - Isuzu don't allow Gates or anyone to make an exact copy - i have a full belt kit with idler and tensioner etc in the garage
cheers
Steve

1st dibs then please !!!:D

circmand
06/24/2009, 01:17 PM
Cause mine's not !!

It looks like it should, but its called an idle pulley in the manual. Got VERY muddy yesterday and thinking its seized??

I was just wondering if you regreted posting this the way you did since every time someone responds it shows the quote and your handle?