PDA

View Full Version : License Plate

SomeBeach
06/16/2009, 07:47 PM
I was just looking through the internet and couldn't help but notice some vehicles pictured with the license plate blacked out. So the question is....Why do people feel a need to block their license plate??? I mean even in a worse case scenario what could possibly be the risk of having your license plate revealed. I'm wondering if they ride around town with a cover on their tag???

Gussie2000
06/16/2009, 08:09 PM
I had the same thoughts.
License plates are for public view,make no sense blocking them on the web & every single individual near you car can read them.

I guess all that has to do with the perception of privacy.
However,if you feel to you can have the tags replaced as many times as you want,just pay for it.

pbkid
06/16/2009, 10:55 PM
i dont understand a use for it...i think the only purpose would be if you had a very very valuable car, and only took it in public in very safe areas and car shows...
i could see your information not being open to all of the public in that case...

Riff Raff
06/16/2009, 11:10 PM
By having your license plate blocked-out in pictures posted on the internet prevents world-wide law enforcement personnel (worthy or unworthy) who have access to DMV computers from running your plates and finding out who you are and where you live.

Sure; while your vehicle is on the road in public, everyone can view your license plate. That is a very small number of people viewing your license plate and an even smaller pecentage of people who have actual DMV computer access (like a typical policeman in a cruiser), when compared to the entire world on the world-wide-web.

For me, I don't want anybody knowing where I live unless I specifically want them to with my explicit permission. That's why I have my official street address listed as a PMB (Private Mail Box) going to a local commercial MailCenter type business outlet that rent-out a PMB. In this way, I don't care if my license plate is posted on the internet; I'm safe.

It helps me sleep better at night knowing I'm not going to see a black Chevy Suburban or a black Crown Victoria parked across the street from my front door. Plus, it saves me ammunition.

pbkid
06/16/2009, 11:15 PM
is there a good reason why a law enforcement officer would need to park across the street from your house??

you realize there are many officers on this site right??

still personally see a reason as long as your not doing anything illegal...nothing wrong with doing some good ole fashioned moab wheeling ;)

Gussie2000
06/17/2009, 05:27 AM
Well that theory is applicable only when there's a justified reason to do so,like if you are under witness protection program by FBI,CIA or DEA,yet cops can still trace you every time you are browsing the web,using your mobile phone or even using your debit/credit card or bank accounts.

Beside that,our web site have proved to be a healty/non criminal website so they already figured out we are all harmless

JAMAS
06/17/2009, 06:22 AM
The internet can be a very scary place and the reasons you can think of to block your license plate are probably not even the reasons people would take them. I'd rather limit the information I provide anywhere on the internet because it isn't just the people on this site that have access to it. There are web crawlers and all sorts of other ways people find images. Go to Google and type anything into the image search, you would be surprised how many people's personal pictures (vacations, etc) are found. And they NEVER go away.

Joe_Black
06/17/2009, 06:24 AM
Plus, it saves me ammunition.
Saw .308 at a recent gun show for $1 a round. Think we'll be missing the machinegun shoot this July 4th so no worries about our tag getting photographed there with all the other heavy-metal hoodlums! LOL! :bgwo:

kirk hilton
06/17/2009, 06:31 AM
I understand that masking your reg-plate on the internet is prudent to prevent car cloning. If a car was the same color, make and model as your own then any offenses committed by it's owner would come to you. Run a read light, photographed speeding, you would be hard pressed to convince the authorities that it wasn't you.

Just a thoughts.

nfpgasmask
06/17/2009, 09:00 AM
Yeah, it's a paranoia thing...

Bart

SomeBeach
06/17/2009, 09:21 AM
Its funny how paranoid people are. I can assure you there are no crimes being reported because a license plate was seen on the internet. Even if there was a dirty cop who ran the tag and found out where you lived, what does he do now? Kinda like a dog that chases a car...if he catches it what does he do with it. The so called dirty cop now knows where you live...so why would he care? What crime is now possible as a result of the information.

JAMAS
06/17/2009, 09:41 AM
Attention everyone!!!! I just saw a vehicle with the license plate "SomeBeach" just abduct a small child. Everybody go get him and kick him alot in the face.

see.....you could have just gotten kicked alot in the face. Its a good thing you didnt post your license plate.

I am just saying that you have no idea what people do with wierd information. Why add to the already large amount of data people can get about you on the internet.

I am not worried about the authorities seeing my plates, just wierdos.

Triathlete
06/17/2009, 01:38 PM
Trust me, if someone wants to mess with you there is plenty of "public information" legally available to make that an easy task without needing your plate#.

Triathlete
06/17/2009, 01:46 PM
This post (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399203) will give you an idea of what is possible on the net with next to nothing to go by (an IP address). Of course this guy was an idiot and got his justice. Good reading...long but entertaining. Some have probably seen it before.

SomeBeach
06/17/2009, 02:02 PM
Attention everyone!!!! I just saw a vehicle with the license plate "SomeBeach" just abduct a small child. Everybody go get him and kick him alot in the face.

see.....you could have just gotten kicked alot in the face. Its a good thing you didnt post your license plate.

I am just saying that you have no idea what people do with wierd information. Why add to the already large amount of data people can get about you on the internet.

Oh I see...and the only way this weirdo would get a tag number is looking at the internet??? This weirdo don't notice tags of vehicles going down the street? And reporting a crime was just committed by the operator of this vehicle...where is the victim. And weirdo is so talented he can pick a crime and a suspect at a time the suspect has unaccounted for time. And on and on. Trust me, if a weirdo wanted to do something bad to you its much easier to follow you home then pick a tag off the internet, find a way to run it, travel to your house and pick out a crime to try out. Your tag don't entice the criminal.

rowhard
06/17/2009, 07:30 PM
Scott (Moncha), please weigh in on this. Am sure your opinion as a law enforcement officer can put many of our minds at rest on the matter. Personally, I am not afraid of big brother,..... I think, but then I am 61 and won't be around that many more years to put up with that ****!

Gussie2000
06/17/2009, 08:26 PM
Just go to intellius.com ;Type your own name & find out your self how much about info is out there about you.

pbkid
06/17/2009, 08:58 PM
ya...im not much scared of big brother either...

maybe it helps that i study criminal justice and hope to be part of the federal justice system soon..

AK Falco
06/17/2009, 09:02 PM
This post (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399203) will give you an idea of what is possible on the net with next to nothing to go by (an IP address). Of course this guy was an idiot and got his justice. Good reading...long but entertaining. Some have probably seen it before.

any one read the whole pirate thread? all 73 pages. im on 16 lol

Moncha
06/17/2009, 09:20 PM
The pirate thread is hilarious!

As a LE officer, and a Cyber Cop too boot, 80-90% of the info we gather is from public sources. Mind you, A photo of a license plate is much harder to search for than text based info. Unlike the shows on TV, there is no magic software nor hardware that can scan a blurry, pixilated photo and instantly tell what color of underwear the suspect was wearing last Tuesday while he was visiting China.

A good investigator using tried and trusted information and with a combination of resources, can compile the knowledge needed. I know, there are some bad cops that do stupid things, I don't know any per se, as I don't associate with them. The ones that were in my agency, are no longer there and I'm proud to have a lot to do with their dismissal.

I helped form, and now am in charge of one of the best High Tech Crime Units in the country (Not Bragging) and teach Computer Crime Investigations at our local college. With all I see and know, I fear not of posting information or buying items on the Internet. As with everything, use common sense, think before you act and you'll be safe.

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/18/2009, 12:13 AM
I always just assumed it perhaps had to do with either car theft or perhaps mod theft (i.e. expensive stereo..) if the thief was located nearby.

Maybe in the future a chop-shop gets a 'request' for VX body panels after they become difficult to find. He browses enthusiasts sites and sees some pics with plate #. Is able to ascertain their locations via the plate #. Finds one not too far....steals it.

Probably a stretch though...just paranoid I suppose! ;)

pbkid
06/18/2009, 01:00 AM
I always just assumed it perhaps had to do with either car theft or perhaps mod theft (i.e. expensive stereo..) if the thief was located nearby.

Maybe in the future a chop-shop gets a 'request' for VX body panels after they become difficult to find. He browses enthusiasts sites and sees some pics with plate #. Is able to ascertain their locations via the plate #. Finds one not too far....steals it.

Probably a stretch though...just paranoid I suppose! ;)

the way i see that............ i have a BIG dog (150lb rottie) and a BIG gun(12ga shotgun) and i have only 10 years martial arts training.......oh, and i work at Best Buy installing car stereo's and security systems (needless to say mine is pretty good security)......good luck!!!!!

The ones that were in my agency, are no longer there and I'm proud to have a lot to do with their dismissal.

With all I see and know, I fear not of posting information or buying items on the Internet. .

:clap::clap::clap:

SomeBeach
06/18/2009, 05:51 AM
I guess the bottom line is safety is mainly about your state of mind. If you feel safer by covering your tag then do it. If you have guns and dogs to make you feel safer that works. But to help you feel more safe, I can assure you people don't make you a victim by seeing your tag on the internet. Its kinda like the movie "The Jerk" with Steve Martin where the crazy guy picked his name out of a phonebook then went to kill him. Funny story but it don't happen. Now if you were a celebrity you may have a nut try to locate your house by using the tag. But you have nothing to fear.

JAMAS
06/18/2009, 06:07 AM
Oh I see...and the only way this weirdo would get a tag number is looking at the internet??? This weirdo don't notice tags of vehicles going down the street? And reporting a crime was just committed by the operator of this vehicle...where is the victim. And weirdo is so talented he can pick a crime and a suspect at a time the suspect has unaccounted for time. And on and on. Trust me, if a weirdo wanted to do something bad to you its much easier to follow you home then pick a tag off the internet, find a way to run it, travel to your house and pick out a crime to try out. Your tag don't entice the criminal.

I don't mean to say that, that is the ONLY way someone could get ahold of my information. I guess I am just a paranoid person and like to keep as much information to myself as possible.

Ldub
06/18/2009, 06:09 AM
Now if you were a celebrity you may have a nut try to locate your house by using the tag. But you have nothing to fear.

With the exception of FEAR ITSELF !

Moncha
06/18/2009, 06:27 AM
Can't sleep.... Clowns will eat me!

Now that's FEAR!

JAMAS
06/18/2009, 06:30 AM
Can't sleep.... Clowns will eat me!

Is that true?.....Aw crap, I finally got over my fear of the Sasquatch finding me. Now I have to worry about clowns!

SomeBeach
06/18/2009, 06:34 AM
I don't mean to say that, that is the ONLY way someone could get ahold of my information. I guess I am just a paranoid person and like to keep as much information to myself as possible.

I don't think you're paranoid. We all do things to make ourself feel safe. Ever gone to bed and wondered if you locked the back door? Instead of saying "what are the chances tonight someone will try my back door" we get up to make sure its locked. And it takes no extra effort to be cautious. A lot of crime victims are victims because they don't pay attention to what's around them. Like a guy walking thru a parking lot with no purpose....why is he out there. Or a car that seems to turn everywhere you turn. Or someone in a mall not giving you ete contact...they don't want to be noticed. So being safe is just good common sense.

deermagnet
06/18/2009, 06:40 AM
"Hey buddy, I need ya to run a tag for me when ya get to work tomorrow."
"No problem. What's up?"
"I saw a great set of wheels and tires posted on our Vehicross forum I want to try and score. The guy lives not too far away, but I need an address. At the very least I can easily get his roof rack that'll get me $500 on eBay."
"Sure thing. Just drop off a case of beer this weekend."

If it cost $200 and took a week to block a plate from a photo, then why bother. It only takes a few seconds, so why not do it? What do you have to lose by blurring the plate number?

Mark

SomeBeach
06/18/2009, 06:56 AM
Haven't seen anything so far fetched since they cancelled Fantasy Island. I guess your made up suspect wouldn't be able to see the car driving down the highway and follow it. If it makes you feel safe do it. By the way, if this occurred the investigating agency could see that this victim's tag was run and they could tell which officer ran it. A rookie could solve this one.

deermagnet
06/18/2009, 07:10 AM
If it makes you feel safe do it.
There ya go. In your first post you kinda implied that there was no reason to do this. Now you gave a valid reason to do this.

Why lock the door to your home when you leave? Any adult male could easily kick it in. So why bother locking it? Because it only takes a few seconds and it makes us feel safer. :)

Mark Griffin

SomeBeach
06/18/2009, 08:24 AM
There ya go. In your first post you kinda implied that there was no reason to do this. Now you gave a valid reason to do this.

Why lock the door to your home when you leave? Any adult male could easily kick it in. So why bother locking it? Because it only takes a few seconds and it makes us feel safer. :)

Mark Griffin

Good point.

Gussie2000
06/18/2009, 08:57 AM
I don't think you're paranoid. We all do things to make ourself feel safe. Ever gone to bed and wondered if you locked the back door? Instead of saying "what are the chances tonight someone will try my back door" we get up to make sure its locked. And it takes no extra effort to be cautious. A lot of crime victims are victims because they don't pay attention to what's around them. Like a guy walking thru a parking lot with no purpose....why is he out there. Or a car that seems to turn everywhere you turn. Or someone in a mall not giving you ete contact...they don't want to be noticed. So being safe is just good common sense.

That's absolutely right you say here.
Safety is about performing and/or anticipating actions against situations that may cause you harm;Specially if you live in a non well reputated hood.
Having your tags covered on the web wouldn't prevent an undesirable neirbor drive away with your car during the night while having a relaxing sleep after a tough day at your job site.
I'll be more worry handing my debit/credit card to the clerk at the gas station then covering the tags.
For example,there's gas station where they ask you for your id if you paying with debit/credit card & hold on to them inside the clerk's cabin while you pumping gas several feets away & your stuff outter of your eyesight.
I had an huge argument with the clerk about that situation & following customers didn't fill they cars because of that.
The clerk claimed he had the right to do so following his words itold him: Really ? Ok,so what if money go missing from my account ? Did you wonder who i'll be coming for ?
You can't withold no individual's sensitive info such as debit/credit card & id more then verify that i'm who i say i am.

With that said i had all the station's info such as business license number & called the NYS customer affairs reporting the situation.

Bulldoggie
07/04/2009, 03:52 AM

Billy,
I hate you :_brickwal :_brickwal (not really)
It's after 3am, and I can't read anymore. I'm on page 17 with sidetracks to linked posts. I can't wait to see where this ended.
The lack of rational thought by this guy, is only equaled by my Ex.
Some people you just can't help

:drama:

Happy 4th

don moore
07/04/2009, 04:15 PM
As a LE officer, and a Cyber Cop too boot, 80-90% of the info we gather is from public sources. Mind you, A photo of a license plate is much harder to search for than text based info. Unlike the shows on TV, there is no magic software nor hardware that can scan a blurry, pixilated photo and instantly tell what color of underwear the suspect was wearing last Tuesday while he was visiting China.
I saw NCIS ...they were looking at a out door security video of a car 10 yards away with two guys talking and one had a piece of paper in his hand ..so they froze the picture zoomed onto the first guy..then and zoomed in on the piece of paper ..hit a few keys on the magic computer and was able to read the barcode on it and with less then a min.. they did a scan of the barcode and found it to be a plane ticket reciept.....lol
I love tv shows.

Triathlete
07/04/2009, 06:07 PM
Ah Don but LE does have some cool stuff (yea, I know, not like all the junk on TV). Here in Tucson we have a car that drives around with a camera that reads liscence plates on all the vehicles it passes or that pass it. The #'s are automatically ran through an on board computer system that within seconds tells the officer if the plate/car is a reported stolen one. I think we are one of the test subjects since auto theft is big here with our proximity to the boarder.

Scott Harness
07/04/2009, 06:26 PM
I keep hearing circus music...

CLOWNS:freek::disturbed

pbkid
07/04/2009, 11:17 PM
I keep hearing circus music...

CLOWNS:freek::disturbed

:_wtf:

SomeBeach
07/05/2009, 06:39 AM
Circus music....clowns??????
You lost me!

Marlin
07/05/2009, 10:41 AM

Mark Griffin

Am I the only one who doesn't lock his door? Like most houses, I have this clear, fragile panel strategically spread around my home. If it gets hit by a stray rock from the mower, a ball or whatever, it just shatters. I think it is emergency escape access in case of a fire? Why lock your door, it takes a second to break a window and NO ONE will hear it or care unless they too are stalking you. So those that are paranoid, if it makes you feel better...go for it.
I know you are naysayers are thinkin it, why do I lock my VX doors? Breaking the window out of a car is a lot louder and more noticeable than someones backyard window. Plus, I would guess that auto break-in is more prevalent than home since it is a lot safer for a criminal. You never know what is on the other side of the door to a house; a mute Rottie, a silenced 9mm, who knows. Sometimes I dream about someone coming into my home, I wouldn't make a peep...just a bang....bang....bang bang bang bang...then "Damn, who is gonna clean all this up?"

:bgwb:

Triathlete
07/05/2009, 11:34 AM
If they break my window they get to deal with my two best friends...and believe me someone will be making some noise!
The first one there will be Diablo...75 pounds and fast!:bwgy:
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Triathlete/My%20pups/LucandJr023.jpg

Then they get to meet 175 pound Luc!;eeky;
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Triathlete/My%20pups/LucandFish05001.jpg

Who needs an alarm?

Marlin
07/05/2009, 12:18 PM
Nice Billy,
Mine is only 45lbs, but since he is half dingo, he has the radar ears of a dingo that can rotate all the way around, people can't even pull into my driveway without him going off......at least I will know they are coming.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/IMGP0300.jpg

pbkid
07/05/2009, 02:20 PM
likewise....

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3211/DSC00598.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3211/0728081922-00.jpg

currently 1 3/4 year old rottie.... 95lbs...
Bentley doesnt let much slip by him.

Riff Raff
07/05/2009, 05:43 PM
Hmmm, nice dogs. Unfortunately, most crooks previously case your place beforehand. They'll be bringing over some nice tenderloin steaks for man's best friend to munch on and occupy your dog's time while the crooks go shopping within your home. Here poochy, poochy; here poochy, poochy.

Me, I prefer claymore mines on trip wires and Vietnam-era pungy-sticks on swinging pendalums. Plus, I don't have to feed booby-traps-- I just need to remember where they are.

pbkid
07/05/2009, 05:56 PM
a little paranoid are we riff raff???

with 3 different people/last names in my house, we are always coming and going...would be hard for someone to steal from us.

Riff Raff
07/05/2009, 06:02 PM
a little paranoid are we riff raff???

Paranoid??? Not, really. I consider my home like the Roach Motel-- "You check in; but, you don't check-out".

SomeBeach
07/05/2009, 06:06 PM
Nice Billy,
Mine is only 45lbs, but since he is half dingo, he has the radar ears of a dingo that can rotate all the way around, people can't even pull into my driveway without him going off......at least I will know they are coming.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/IMGP0300.jpg

I thought dingos only ate babies!

Scott Harness
07/05/2009, 06:47 PM
:_wtf:

See post #26 read and remember:p

pbkid
07/05/2009, 07:51 PM
ahhhh.....ok....

vt_maverick
07/06/2009, 04:45 AM
I used to spend a lot of time on a sports car forum, and they blacked out their plates for another reason that I don't see mentioned so far: to prevent law enforcement from tracking down owners who post pictures of illegal activities (street racing/burnout competitions, etc.). A lot of guys would post videos on YouTube or elsewhere, so when they posted still pics of their car they wanted to make sure the license plate couldn't tie the two together.

As SomeBeach and others in this thread have suggested, I don't know whether the law has time or even cares to look at these forums, but in places like SoCal where street racing is a serious issue, guys just didn't want to take a chance.

SomeBeach
07/06/2009, 08:47 AM
I suppose a law enforcement officer could use the tag to track down someone who is racing but the actual racing event could not be prosecuted based on a video on youtube. The officer would not be able to testify to the time or place. He could also not prove who was operating the vehicle. Then throw in all the other things cops need to address and it's unlikely it would spark much interest.