PDA

View Full Version : Door locks Hmmmmmm

AlaskaVX
06/16/2009, 04:14 PM
Well I have a strange situation I haven't seen before. My passenger door is stuck locked. I can't use the key (won't turn far enough), lift the door lock latch, use the normal opening handle or use my remote. Window still works.

I haven't dug into it since I don't know where to start... How can I get inside the door with the door being shut and locked????

nfpgasmask
06/16/2009, 04:21 PM
So wait, you can't open the door from the outside or the inside? I had the problem where the little plastic piece snapped and I could not open the door from the outside, but could from the inside and I was able to pull the panel off and fix it with a zip tie.

Bart

AlaskaVX
06/16/2009, 04:30 PM
Correct, I can't open from either side lol

nfpgasmask
06/16/2009, 04:39 PM
Correct, I can't open from either side lol

Damn, that sucks. So, no matter what you do with the power locks you can't get either side to engage and free up either latch? Hmmmm. Sounds like that rod in there came off or something else totally broke.

Now, if you are VERY careful, you might be able to remove (with some slight bending) the trim from the inside. You have to take off the grab handle and the door latch but it is just held on with some x-mas tree fasteners.

I guess worst case scenario you would need to forcefully remove the inner trim from the inside and get it replaced.

Do you hear any clicking when you flip the locks on and off? I wonder if it could be electrical???

I can't think of what else to do! Maybe a slim jim to get the door opened so you can remove the trim? :wtfy:

Bart

AlaskaVX
06/16/2009, 04:55 PM
Floating down the river is starting to catch up to you!

Hey now, I have only had the water reach the door locks like 3-5 times. :bgwo:

No sound from passenger side when flipping electric lock switch.

nfpgasmask, thats the only way I see doing it as of right now. I don't see a slim jim working since I can't even pull the inside lock up. Any other ideas?

nfpgasmask
06/16/2009, 05:00 PM
Hey now, I have only had the water reach the door locks like 3-5 times. :bgwo:

No sound from passenger side when flipping electric lock switch.

nfpgasmask, thats the only way I see doing it as of right now. I don't see a slim jim working since I can't even pull the inside lock up. Any other ideas?

You mean a SlimJim or removing the panel by force?

I'd try to jimmy it 1st, destroy it 2nd. Call a lock shop, they should be able to get it open for you so you can work on it.

Bart

AlaskaVX
06/16/2009, 05:04 PM
Removing it by force from inside after removing the passenger seat and hoping it will flex enough to pass the door pillar and let me get my skinny arms in there.

pbkid
06/16/2009, 06:06 PM
you arent gonna be able to do that....its gonna break if you try to remove it with the door shut...

i would honestly pull apart the window/lock mechanism and see if you can send the motor power to get it to unlock...i believe that if our motor looses power it wont allow the mechanism to move at all...check your fuses (i know it sounds dumb, but its worth a try)...

Triathlete
06/16/2009, 07:33 PM
Try removing the armrest (the part with the switches and checking the connector or....

....you can just keep the window down and do it Dukes of Hazard style!:bwgy:

tom4bren
06/18/2009, 01:57 PM
"I'd try to jimmy it 1st, destroy it 2nd. Call a lock shop, they should be able to get it open for you so you can work on it."

X2

You could even stop by your local police office (state or local). They have a lot of experience getting into locked cars.

AlaskaVX
07/19/2010, 03:28 PM
It was the electric lock, but for the life of me I can't remember which piece broke (solenoid stuck locked maybe?), I brought it to a shop and they somehow got in there and took the part out (for cheap I may add, took less than an hour) now I have a manual locking passenger door.

Just thought I would put some closure to this thread.

SlowPro48
07/19/2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks man - now I can sleep! ;)

RickOKC
07/19/2010, 08:23 PM
Well, this gives me hope. :)

The previous owner had already installed the SBC window brackets, but the driver's side window still kept binding and getting extremely crooked while rolling up. It was so bad that I took off the door panel because I was convinced that the window was no longer attached to the bracket. It was fine so I shot a little silicone lube into the channels and the window immediately worked perfectly. I put the interior panel back on and shut the door. "#$@&!" ("Darn!") In the process I obviously did something really, really bad to the door release linkage and now the door won't open from either side. :upsetgray I'm sure I can figure it out, I just need enough time when it's not 250 degrees in the shade or 300 degrees in the garage.

Grrrrr, still kicking myself for not trying the easy fix first. Oh well, that's my luck. :laughgray

AnalogVX
04/09/2011, 02:54 PM
It was the electric lock, but for the life of me I can't remember which piece broke (solenoid stuck locked maybe?), I brought it to a shop and they somehow got in there and took the part out (for cheap I may add, took less than an hour) now I have a manual locking passenger door.

Just thought I would put some closure to this thread.

I am having the same problem. The lock will not unlock, with the key, by hand or by the remote. It's just stuck. Wish I knew what they did to get in there.

RickOKC
04/09/2011, 04:55 PM
More door lock info in this thread (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20123).

AnalogVX
04/09/2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks! the pics will help me get my head around what's what inside the door. If I can get door panel off without having to open the door I would be much better shape. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to take out the passenger seat.

wekilled
04/09/2011, 10:21 PM
I had the same problem and when I hit the lock button, the lock only went halfway up in the hole, which prevented the door from opening. My problem seemed to be if you don't put the door trim back on over the door itself, and seat it exactly in the proper position, the lock binds in the hole.

It took several times of clicking the door button and "assisting" the lock going up and down to finally get the door open so I could finally figure out the problem.

RickOKC
04/10/2011, 10:31 AM
It may be possible to remove the panel with the door shut, but there is also the possibility of cracking or breaking the panel or plastic "carbon fiber" inserts. I decided to take the risk vs. never using the driver's door again. :o I was "lucky" because my door was latched but not completely shut. After removing the screws, I was able to pop all the nylon retainers. I'm sure the retainers were somewhat worn since the panel had been removed at least 3 times before the lock broke. I couldn't get to the screw to remove the tweeter cover, but was able to slide the panel toward the back to slip it out from underneath the cover. Then it was a matter of sliding/rotating the panel back & up while sitting in the back seat. It also involved moving the front seat backward / forward and reclining / pushing forward the backrest as needed. Sounds like a lot, but it took about 3 - 4 minutes.