PDA

View Full Version : strange vehicle

pbkid
06/15/2009, 09:11 PM
alright, so im also on a subaru forum and unfortunately they have a section just for bashing other vehicles. they put this vehicle up, saying they werent really sure what the heck it was.
kinda interesting....
so, its a forester front end, with some serious offroad stuff modded on it...
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3209/strange_axiomforester.jpg
but, the rear end is an axiom...what do ya guys think about that huh??
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3209/strange_axiomforester2.jpg

apparently its a russian guy who lives in colorado...

different, ill give him that ;)

tom4bren should like the offset :)

Riff Raff
06/15/2009, 09:26 PM
PEANUT BUTTER KID--- Nope, that's the "prototype" of the new MARLIN Mobile-VX.

djvx
06/15/2009, 09:54 PM
Too bad I puke everytime I hear Subaru's stupid TV commercial saying "Love, it's what makes subaru a subaru" omg i HATE THAT COMMERCIAL!

Ldub
06/15/2009, 10:32 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw those guys on a trail in Moab this year...unless it was a dream, sometimes it's hard to tell...:_confused

MSHardeman
06/16/2009, 08:08 AM
Dub, I think you're right. I could swear that we saw a blue Subaru Forester with a yellow exo-cage and a massive lift when we where out on Poison Spider Mesa. I think it also had similar large yellow lettering on it.

circmand
06/16/2009, 08:08 AM
Too bad I puke everytime I hear Subaru's stupid TV commercial saying "Love, it's what makes subaru a subaru" omg i HATE THAT COMMERCIAL!

how else are you going to sell it? I hate the one where the guy talks about leaving his bu a tree where others are parked so people can get the parts because it allows the vehicle to live on. What kind of sh#@ is that?

Buy a car so you can leave it for others to scrounge through.

tom4bren
06/16/2009, 08:45 AM
Love the offset. Suprised he didn't put a full size spare on the back tho.

nfpgasmask
06/16/2009, 09:16 AM
That is a very bizarre vehicle. Maybe someone is very handy with a MIG welder and has lots of time to boot.

It would certainly be interesting to get the skinny on that rig.

Personally, I don't like Subi's either (sorry kid, Worm). Explain to me what about a 4-door sedan is exactly cool? I mean, don't get me wrong. I know they are fast to begin with. I know you can mod the beejezus out of them and make them wicked fast. But is that it? I mean, it's a SEDAN, and a VERY GENERIC looking one to begin with. I just don't get it. Why spend $30k+/- on a car like that when you could buy a used 911 for that much and have a real sports car? Someone, please help me understand!! Is it just the "ricer" subculture that is attractive to so many people? :wtfy: If so, that's fine, but I just don't get it. I'm not knocking them or anything, I know they are good cars, but I just don't get it. Is it just a fad?

Suburu STI
http://www.istargazer.ca/sti/cascade-jul-06/sti-kk.jpg

Honda Accord
http://www.wickedbodies.net/Images/Honda%20Accord%20Samarai%20Phantom.jpg

:rolleyes: They look about the same to me.

And the Outback wagons, are nothing more than hippy cars for hippies that don't genuinely care about the environment. :D

:_wtf: Bart

pbkid
06/16/2009, 09:52 AM
Personally, I don't like Subi's either (sorry kid, Worm). Explain to me what about a 4-door sedan is exactly cool? I mean, don't get me wrong. I know they are fast to begin with. I know you can mod the beejezus out of them and make them wicked fast. But is that it? I mean, it's a SEDAN, and a VERY GENERIC looking one to begin with. I just don't get it. Why spend $30k+/- on a car like that when you could buy a used 911 for that much and have a real sports car? Someone, please help me understand!! Is it just the "ricer" subculture that is attractive to so many people? :wtfy: If so, that's fine, but I just don't get it. I'm not knocking them or anything, I know they are good cars, but I just don't get it. Is it just a fad?

well...i would NEVER EVER EVER consider buying a porsche..i think they are 100% overrated, an old 911 wont keep up with an STI in straight, corners, stopping, or reliability most of all. i personally think that porsche owners are self endulged pricks, that think they are better than everyone else because they spent too much money on their car. (sorry porsche owners, i have never meet a friendly porsche owner in person)
bart- for about 16-20k used you can pick up an STI nowadays...you get a car that is fast, corners great, stops on a dime, i can carry my 150lb rottie in, and i can drive year-round in colorado including back and forth to the mountains, and lastly but most important to me (as long as you dont molest it with mods) its reliable... ;) theres the skinny for ya bart.

sorry, a little bit of a rant on the porsche thing...i just think that daily driver sports cars are retarded, how is it nice to only have 2 seats, only be able to drive your car 5 months of the year, and worry about it breaking down all the time, AND you cant work on it yourself??? that just seems to be true with all german sports cars....
GREAT vehicle if it is stricktly used for racing, or a weekend toy...but never a daily driver.

CrnCnn
06/16/2009, 10:04 AM
i personally think that porsche owners are self endulged pricks, that think they are better than everyone else because they spent too much money on their car. (sorry porsche owners, i have never meet a friendly porsche owner in person)

Jack, did you meet Barts wife Linda in Moab? Granted she wasn't a porsche owner then...

newthings
06/16/2009, 10:11 AM
Explain to me what about a 4-door sedan is exactly cool?

A 4 door sedan makes a better shooting platform for the homies.

CrnCnn
06/16/2009, 10:15 AM

fo shizzle :bwgr:

nfpgasmask
06/16/2009, 10:29 AM
well...i would NEVER EVER EVER consider buying a porsche..i think they are 100% overrated, an old 911 wont keep up with an STI in straight, corners, stopping, or reliability most of all.

Do you have data on that? Our 1999 911 is so far the smoothest car I have ever driven. Cornering is amazing. Stopping, no problem. And I haven't owned the p-car long enough to really say, but I have never heard anything about Porsche's being not reliable. I read somewhere that 60% of all Porsches ever made are still on the road. Now, that is either a testament to their extreme reliability, or the fact that Porsche owners really care for their cars for the long run.

i personally think that porsche owners are self endulged pricks, that think they are better than everyone else because they spent too much money on their car. (sorry porsche owners, i have never meet a friendly porsche owner in person)

Hmmm, I always thought of myself as a friendly person. :rolleyes: :D And everyone we have met in the PCA has been VERY nice. We have even met some people who obviously have a very substantial amount of fun money, and no one has been anything but nice to us. The way you describe Porsche owners, is the way I feel about BMW drivers: 99% of the time, they are uber-pricks who think their poop don't smell.

bart- for about 16-20k used you can pick up an STI nowadays...

THAT is exactly my point. For the SAME money you can have a Porsche used. Why the hell would I buy a used Subi when I could buy a used Porsche with SAME amount of money???? Sorry, prick or no prick, a Porsche looks WAY cooler than a Subi.

you get a car that is fast, corners great, stops on a dime, i can carry my 150lb rottie in, and i can drive year-round in colorado including back and forth to the mountains, and lastly but most important to me (as long as you dont molest it with mods) its reliable... ;) theres the skinny for ya bart.

OK, I understand the AWD aspect of it, but I would think an SUV would be a better choice for year round driving. That said, you just nailed it for me. You are talking about the practicality. Practicality = 4 door sedan. Honda Accord, Suburu STI, both practical, same thing to me. Subis have the AWD thing, so... IMO, it seems like all the kids who drive around these modded up Subis are buying them to play "The Fast And The Furious" with their friends. They are not buying them to drive over the mountain pass in the winter, while they might be able to, that is NOT the main attraction to these cars, as far as I can tell.

sorry, a little bit of a rant on the porsche thing...i just think that daily driver sports cars are retarded, how is it nice to only have 2 seats

Our Porsche has 4 seats, the rear seats would not fit me however. :rolleyes:

AND you cant work on it yourself???

You got me there again, I won't even touch the Porsche. I might try to change the oil, but that is about it. But that said, how simple is a 2009 STI to work on? My brother has a Nissan 350Z and when I look under the hood I don't see anything but plastic and everything looks like it was intentionally buried so that the average grease monkey can't even begin to work on it.

that just seems to be true with all german sports cars....GREAT vehicle if it is stricktly used for racing, or a weekend toy...but never a daily driver.

I dunno, I mean, winter aside, I could easily drive the 911 to work and back every day. We have a cabriolet, and a couple weeks back we took a nice long drive through the mountains with the top down and it was the most pleasurable driving experience I have ever had on a road. Still, personally, it's not my style (after all, it is the wife's car) as I would spend $20k an early 70s muscle car ANY DAY over any Porsche or a Subi.

And aside from all this, I just used Porsche as an example. I would spend $20k on just about ANY other "fast" car. Even my brother's 350Z has a cool look. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it wins all over the place when compared to a Subi. I suppose for me it has a lot to do with aesthetics. I don't care if the car goes 0-60 in half a second, if it's ugly and/or boring looking, who cares? I want both, form AND function. Otherwise you are just another soccer mom, wanna-be hippy, or ricer who watched Initial D one to many times.

But I guess I am just a freak who has watched Mad Max one to many times! :D

Good discussion,

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/16/2009, 10:35 AM

:laughing:

Bart

CrnCnn
06/16/2009, 10:36 AM
Bart

Finally, good Bart. The first stage is getting past the denial.. :p

don moore
06/16/2009, 10:39 AM
kids are into a 4door cars.. i cant figure it out..when i was a kid only lod people got 4 door cars..to haul the grand kids in ...lol i got a 4door cause it was giving to me I never got one for myself..... the wife has one.. she needs it.its a pt cruiser we use for workk that makes sence.a tru sports car is only 2 .....as is a truck..... when you add 2 more to them you got a transport....for people not sport. my son got a accord 4door ..lol.. hes got a fin on it .oooooooooohh and little rubberband tires...hehe..and a tail pipe bigger thean a coffee can, thats one i cant figure out ether...lol..lol wait till there in there 50s ..lol

my 2 cents.....

Scott Harness
06/16/2009, 10:40 AM
I've heard nothing but great stuff about 911's
It's THE only super car that can be driven daily!
maybe Aston Martin DB9 or Audi RX8:cool:

nfpgasmask
06/16/2009, 10:43 AM
kids are into a 4door cars.. i cant figure it out..when i was a kid only lod people got 4 door cars..to haul the grand kids in ...lol i got a 4door cause it was giving to me I never got one for myself..... the wife has one.. she needs it.its a pt cruiser we use for workk that makes sence.a tru sports car is only 2 .....as is a truck..... when you add 2 more to them you got a transport....for people not sport. my son got a accord 4door ..lol.. hes got a fin on it .oooooooooohh and little rubberband tires...hehe..and a tail pipe bigger thean a coffee can, thats one i cant figure out ether...lol..lol wait till there in there 50s ..lol

Exactly. What is the deal with a 4-door race car???

I just DON'T get it!?!?!

:wtfy: Bart

AK VX Lvr
06/16/2009, 12:08 PM
Now this Superman VX qualifies:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330338005296&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.shop.ebay.com%3A80%2Fitems% 2F%3F_nkw%3D330338005296%26_sacat%3D%26_trksid%3Dp 4506.m270.l1313%26_odkw%3DItem%2Bnumber%253A%2B330 338005296%26_osacat%3D0%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Item number: 330338005296

too much......:eek:

LittleBeast
06/16/2009, 12:19 PM
HAHA, the guy does not know how to spell "torque", he spells it "tork" multiple times, wow, he should not be allowed to have a eBay account

TORK
:_iamwiths

pbkid
06/16/2009, 12:34 PM
Do you have data on that? Our 1999 911 is so far the smoothest car I have ever driven. Cornering is amazing. Stopping, no problem. And I haven't owned the p-car long enough to really say, but I have never heard anything about Porsche's being not reliable. I read somewhere that 60% of all Porsches ever made are still on the road. Now, that is either a testament to their extreme reliability, or the fact that Porsche owners really care for their cars for the long run.
just for arguments sake, you get numbers on an "old" 911 and ill get some numbers on the STI, and we will see ;)

Hmmm, I always thought of myself as a friendly person. :rolleyes: :D And everyone we have met in the PCA has been VERY nice. We have even met some people who obviously have a very substantial amount of fun money, and no one has been anything but nice to us. The way you describe Porsche owners, is the way I feel about BMW drivers: 99% of the time, they are uber-pricks who think their poop don't smell.

maybe my point of view is skewed, all the porsche people i have seen have been from california or colorado, they all seem to be how you explain BMW drivers (ya, i agree, they are a little like that too)

THAT is exactly my point. For the SAME money you can have a Porsche used. Why the hell would I buy a used Subi when I could buy a used Porsche with SAME amount of money???? Sorry, prick or no prick, a Porsche looks WAY cooler than a Subi.

thats where we are gonna have to agree to disagree my friend, i think that porsche body styling is stuck in the 80's...which in my opinion is the UGLIEST period of cars EVER! i feel the same way about the looks of the vette, but thats a different discussion ;)

OK, I understand the AWD aspect of it, but I would think an SUV would be a better choice for year round driving. That said, you just nailed it for me. You are talking about the practicality. Practicality = 4 door sedan. Honda Accord, Suburu STI, both practical, same thing to me. Subis have the AWD thing, so... IMO, it seems like all the kids who drive around these modded up Subis are buying them to play "The Fast And The Furious" with their friends. They are not buying them to drive over the mountain pass in the winter, while they might be able to, that is NOT the main attraction to these cars, as far as I can tell.

see, maybe your paying attention to the negative stereotype of this car, reality is- most 'kids' cant afford to buy one of these cars anyhow...of course there are the rich brats out there, but i think the majority of subi owners spend more money on tuning their motor to have more power, than money on making it look lame...in fact, most subi owners i know remove the wing and huge scoop...

Our Porsche has 4 seats, the rear seats would not fit me however. :rolleyes:
seems i win this one...the back seat of an impreza is actually very comfortable

You got me there again, I won't even touch the Porsche. I might try to change the oil, but that is about it. But that said, how simple is a 2009 STI to work on? My brother has a Nissan 350Z and when I look under the hood I don't see anything but plastic and everything looks like it was intentionally buried so that the average grease monkey can't even begin to work on it.
i would ABSOLUTELY work on my own subi... i would not buy a car that i could not work on mostly by myself...

I dunno, I mean, winter aside, I could easily drive the 911 to work and back every day. We have a cabriolet, and a couple weeks back we took a nice long drive through the mountains with the top down and it was the most pleasurable driving experience I have ever had on a road. Still, personally, it's not my style (after all, it is the wife's car) as I would spend $20k an early 70s muscle car ANY DAY over any Porsche or a Subi.

And aside from all this, I just used Porsche as an example. I would spend $20k on just about ANY other "fast" car. Even my brother's 350Z has a cool look. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it wins all over the place when compared to a Subi. I suppose for me it has a lot to do with aesthetics. I don't care if the car goes 0-60 in half a second, if it's ugly and/or boring looking, who cares? I want both, form AND function. Otherwise you are just another soccer mom, wanna-be hippy, or ricer who watched Initial D one to many times.

Good discussion,

Bart

get me some numbers on the older 911 STOCK porsches and we will see which vehicle has better stats.

my 2 cents.....

hmmmm..... tell ken block that one my friend
http://www.kenblockracing.com/#home

definately not a sports car, with 500+WHP and can jump 171ft :)

I've heard nothing but great stuff about 911's
It's THE only super car that can be driven daily!
maybe Aston Martin DB9 or Audi RX8:cool:

you mean the audi R8?? ;)

Exactly. What is the deal with a 4-door race car???

I just DON'T get it!?!?!

:wtfy: Bart
maybe you dont understand the reason the STI was build....
in rally racing the upper classes you MUST have 4 doors, hence, build the STI with 4 doors.... also, not really why they built it with 4 doors, but look at the difference in insurance costs between a 2 door and 4 door, then tell me its a dumb vehicle ;)

nfpgasmask
06/16/2009, 01:23 PM
get me some numbers on the older 911 STOCK porsches and we will see which vehicle has better stats.

I think you are still missing my point. Stats schmats. The 4-door sedan look is LAME.

maybe you dont understand the reason the STI was build....in rally racing the upper classes you MUST have 4 doors, hence, build the STI with 4 doors.... also, not really why they built it with 4 doors, but look at the difference in insurance costs between a 2 door and 4 door, then tell me its a dumb vehicle ;)

Again, insurance costs are the LAST thing on my mind when it comes to picking out a FAST vehicle. Awesome looks + awesome performance = want. Boring looks + awesome performance = still boring. Get it?

:_beer:

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/16/2009, 01:35 PM
HAHA, the guy does not know how to spell "torque", he spells it "tork" multiple times, wow, he should not be allowed to have a eBay account

TORK
:_iamwiths

You know, a lot of people can't spell. A lot of rather intelligent people can't spell. But here's the thing. It's called SPELL CHECK. It makes even the worst speller's problems simply disappear! And what's better, the more you use it, the better you actually get at spelling!! It's a win win situation! :rotate:

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/16/2009, 02:01 PM
HAHA! I know what you mean, Bart! Racing sedans, then what... racing wagons...? Well I mean staion wagons... cuz actually, these are a blast to watch in a race! http://www.wpca.com/video.aspx

:laughing: Its like the chariot race in Ben Hur!!

Bart

JRSOBX
06/16/2009, 02:07 PM
People that drive Subaru's are freeking strange. I've never met a Subaru owner that wasn't a nutcase.

I've had a few Porsches in my time too. Maybe I'm a jerk, or maybe I just don't like the wierdos that drive subaru.

nfpgasmask
06/16/2009, 02:10 PM
People that drive Subaru's are freeking strange. I've never met a Subaru owner that wasn't a nutcase.

I've had a few Porsches in my time too. Maybe I'm a jerk, or maybe I just don't like the wierdos that drive subaru.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bart

CrnCnn
06/16/2009, 02:11 PM

I know all the ones around here drive like morons....

nfpgasmask
06/16/2009, 02:13 PM
I know all the ones around here drive like morons....

That's cause their all Jack's age. :eek: :laughing: Just Kidding, Jack!!!

:p Bart

JRSOBX
06/16/2009, 02:26 PM
My boxster was extremely reliable. It broke on me once and left me stuck in Myrtle Beach for a few days longer than I was planning....darn.

I drove it every day, all year long. My insurance didn't go up significantly. I don't like having a back seat cause that means I have to drive more often when a few friends want to go somewhere.

I think people that drive VW's are strange too. I think it's the same group of people. They are the same people that decide not to eat meat. Losers!

nfpgasmask
06/16/2009, 02:37 PM
My boxster was extremely reliable. It broke on me once and left me stuck in Myrtle Beach for a few days longer than I was planning....darn.

I drove it every day, all year long. My insurance didn't go up significantly. I don't like having a back seat cause that means I have to drive more often when a few friends want to go somewhere.

I think people that drive VW's are strange too. I think it's the same group of people. They are the same people that decide not to eat meat. Losers!

LOL, I'm not so sure vegetarians fit the mold exactly, but yeah, the VW clan is like some weird alter ego of the VX clan maybe. :rolleyes: Most of the VW people I know of fall into the yupster crowd.

This whole discussion really is interesting. There certainly is a stereotype associated with certain vehicles. Like all stereotypes, it's never 100% of the time true, but I would say it's damn close!!! Especially for those pompous BMW drivers!

If you watch Breaking Bad you will understand how much I loved this scene:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/superbadazbass/Breaking%20Bad/BreakingBad-104.jpg

Burn BMW, burn!

;) Bart

PS - I have to admit though, I love BMW motorcycles...

pbkid
06/16/2009, 03:01 PM
hmm maybe this is all about a little envy??? envious that you payed WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much for a name???

STI-

Engine-
Power 305 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Torque 290 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm

Drivetrain-
AWD with limited slip on both ends

Fuel-
Fuel Economy (city/highway) 17/23 mpg

Specs- per Car and Driver
June 2003
0-60 4.6
0-100 12.4
0-130 24.5
1/4 mile 13.2@103mph
5mph-60mph 5.8; top speed 145
braking 70-0 166ft
Noise level (dBA) idle 45, 70mph 74

nfpgasmask
06/16/2009, 03:06 PM
hmm maybe this is all about a little envy??? envious that you payed WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much for a name???

Funny how you keep skirting the issue.

Please, Jack, just admit to me that they are nothing special to look at. Just another 4-door sedan with a bunch of stuff under the hood and a spoiler glued on. Then I will quit. :)

I would rather BE a wolf, than a wolf in sheep's clothing. ;)

Bart

JRSOBX
06/16/2009, 03:25 PM
I paid 23k for my boxster and it only had 23k miles on it. I don't think that was terribly expensive.

pbkid
06/16/2009, 06:01 PM
Funny how you keep skirting the issue.

Please, Jack, just admit to me that they are nothing special to look at. Just another 4-door sedan with a bunch of stuff under the hood and a spoiler glued on. Then I will quit. :)

I would rather BE a wolf, than a wolf in sheep's clothing. ;)

Bart

i disagree...i think they are well designed... designed exactly what they are made to do...RALLY!

just like the VX ;)

they just arent as flashy as the porsche

technocoy
06/16/2009, 06:39 PM
I guess it's all personal opinion, but I'm with PB on this one to an extent. I really don't like a porsche minus the 911s and I prefer the old ones at that. The old 50s/60s ones were pretty cool too.

I think the boxter falls right in with the s2000, miata, etc. It looks like tiny girly car to me. I know they are roadsters and they handle well, but I just don't like the style of it.

While I'm not nuts about the new subarus I did really like the early 2000's with the round headlights.

I've only ever driven a porsche once and it was a friends 911 that I wouldnt' dare get on with him in the car, but my sister&brother-in-law at one point had an STI WRX and it was one of the most bad *** cars viscerally I've ever put to the floor. The interior felt cheap as hell, but maybe that's what added to the feeling. I could feel and hear every sound from the road and engine and it was wicked fast. It's actually the fastest I've ever taken a car on the road.

The funny thing about every STI/WRX owner I have ever know is they were also big off-road fans and many of them who could afford it also had wheelin rigs.

I'll tell you now, I'll take that WRX in the dirt any day over the porsche, which is where the comparison falls apart. They were built for two different drivers, but the thing about it is the WRX can compete well in both ways.

That being said, since it's what you want to hear, yes, I think they are pretty damn ugly cars, but I feel that way about both of the cars in discussion.

I think alot of the newer sports muscle cars are butt ugly. I also hate BMW and Mercedes. and I REALLY wish all the dip****s in detroit would lay down the retro pencil. Why pay 29 grand for a lame *** copy of a 67 fastback when I can buy a nicely restored one for the same and nearly break my knee on the clutch?'

The misconception that it's a burner with a gofast sticker and spoiler is false. I have rarely seen a street racer or tuner running an STI WRX. 1: They are pretty much out of their price rang, and 2: they are made for rally more than street racing.

just my 95 cents (adjusted for inflation) ;-)

pbkid
06/16/2009, 06:44 PM
I guess it's all personal opinion, but I'm with PB on this one to an extent. I really don't like a porsche minus the 911s and I prefer the old ones at that. The old 50s/60s ones were pretty cool too.

I think the boxter falls right in with the s2000, miata, etc. It looks like tiny girly car to me. I know they are roadsters and they handle well, but I just don't like the style of it.

While I'm not nuts about the new subarus I did really like the early 2000's with the round headlights.

I've only ever driven a porsche once and it was a friends 911 that I wouldnt' dare get on with him in the car, but my sister&brother-in-law at one point had an STI WRX and it was one of the most bad *** cars viscerally I've ever put to the floor. The interior felt cheap as hell, but maybe that's what added to the feeling. I could feel and hear every sound from the road and engine and it was wicked fast. It's actually the fastest I've ever taken a car on the road.

The funny thing about every STI/WRX owner I have ever know is they were also big off-road fans and many of them who could afford it also had wheelin rigs.

I'll tell you now, I'll take that WRX in the dirt any day over the porsche, which is where the comparison falls apart. They were built for two different drivers, but the thing about it is the WRX can compete well in both ways.

That being said, since it's what you want to hear, yes, I think they are pretty damn ugly cars, but I feel that way about both of the cars in discussion.

I think alot of the newer sports muscle cars are butt ugly. I also hate BMW and Mercedes. and I REALLY wish all the dip****s in detroit would lay down the retro pencil. Why pay 29 grand for a lame *** copy of a 67 fastback when I can buy a nicely restored one for the same and nearly break my knee on the clutch?'

The misconception that it's a burner with a gofast sticker and spoiler is false. I have rarely seen a street racer or tuner running an STI WRX. 1: They are pretty much out of their price rang, and 2: they are made for rally more than street racing.

just my 95 cents (adjusted for inflation) ;-)

very well said...i agree all the way around...

except for them being ugly ;)

Gussie2000
06/16/2009, 07:01 PM
well...i would NEVER EVER EVER consider buying a porsche..i think they are 100% overrated, an old 911 wont keep up with an STI in straight, corners, stopping, or reliability most of all. i personally think that porsche owners are self endulged pricks, that think they are better than everyone else because they spent too much money on their car. (sorry porsche owners, i have never meet a friendly porsche owner in person)
bart- for about 16-20k used you can pick up an STI nowadays...you get a car that is fast, corners great, stops on a dime, i can carry my 150lb rottie in, and i can drive year-round in colorado including back and forth to the mountains, and lastly but most important to me (as long as you dont molest it with mods) its reliable... ;) theres the skinny for ya bart.

sorry, a little bit of a rant on the porsche thing...i just think that daily driver sports cars are retarded, how is it nice to only have 2 seats, only be able to drive your car 5 months of the year, and worry about it breaking down all the time, AND you cant work on it yourself??? that just seems to be true with all german sports cars....
GREAT vehicle if it is stricktly used for racing, or a weekend toy...but never a daily driver.

Personally having a STI or any fast sport car is about to really racing the S..... outter of it.

I can see all those STi,evolution WRX subs out there just driving around town,to me is insane,that little speeder was built for speed.

I love the subs,i think they are excelent machines,but get that sub into the race track & get some trophies back home.

In NJ there's a race track where you can see a good bunch of subs doing what they were built for,man i love to hear those mufflers roaring all over the track.
:_drool:

pbkid
06/16/2009, 07:42 PM
nice, i couldnt agree more about any sports car gussie!!

wish there were some sort of track here in colorado for stuff like that.

etlsport
06/16/2009, 07:46 PM
back to the original subject.. anyone else see that most of that vehicle is an Axiom?

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/vehicle-pictures/2002/isuzu/axiom/0736-048-rear-3-4-480.jpg

also the spoiler looks alot like the VX spoiler

edit, oops, just saw jacks little blurb about it being an axiom squished between pics... very odd.. why the heck would anyone combine those two vehicles?

cyronman
06/16/2009, 08:24 PM
speaking of strange russian vehicles (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Extreme-AMPHIBIOUS-AtonI_686249.htm)...

Triathlete
06/16/2009, 08:42 PM
speaking of strange russian vehicles (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Extreme-AMPHIBIOUS-AtonI_686249.htm)...

I like it!:cool:

nfpgasmask
06/16/2009, 09:21 PM

I agree completely here. Boxters carry the "cheap Porsche" stigma even among the Porsche crowd I think. And yes, they are girly.

I admit, they seemed to be trying there at least. But I think when compared, the Mitsubishi Lacer Evo has a cooler (meaner) looking front end.

The funny thing about every STI/WRX owner I have ever know is they were also big off-road fans and many of them who could afford it also had wheelin rigs. I'll tell you now, I'll take that WRX in the dirt any day over the porsche, which is where the comparison falls apart.

Agreed. I am not comparing the WRX and the Porsche as rally vehicles. Obviously, if a person buys a Subi to actually rally it, I can understand. Like you and PB said, that is what they were built for. I guess its just the people who buy a Subi, or a Lancer, or a Honda Accord for that matter, and try to make a race car out of it. I do not understand that. Unless, like Jack said, it is an envy thing, except envy that you can't afford a REAL sports car so you have to make one with a 4-door sedan. :rolleyes:

My whole beef is not with the cars themselves. Like I said, I'm sure they are really fast, and super reliable. I even think I read somewhere that Subis were voted the most reliable brand of automobile recently by like Consumer Reports or something. My point is, like I said above, why spend the money tricking out a 4-door sedan when you could, in many cases, but a car that looks like a sports car AND drives like one too?

I would never buy a WRX, and if I went out an bought a Porsche right now, it would probably be a pristine black 928 or a Cayenne. Like I said above, the 911 is the wife's, and although it is nice, it ain't my style really.

I feel the same way I feel about Subis as I do about Mercedes and BMWs. If I had $80k to spend on a car, there ain't NO EFFING way I would buy a BMW. I would be buying a used Ferrari, a Porsche, a DeLorean, a Lotus, something BAD @$s! Not some yuppie luxury sports sedan...;puke2;

And I agree about the new muscle too. Why spend $35k on a new Mustang
when I could own a CHERRY restored, uber tuned 1972 Mach 1? :wtfy:

Still, a good discussion...

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/16/2009, 09:21 PM
back to the original subject..

Yeah, man, sorry, I REALLY effed this thread up... :mbrasd:

Bart

pbkid
06/16/2009, 11:02 PM
I admit, they seemed to be trying there at least. But I think when compared, the Mitsubishi Lacer Evo has a cooler (meaner) looking front end.

ill agree for the new STI vs. EVO..the front end on the EVO is nicer...but the fenders and practicality of the STI just keeps me coming back...

I would never buy a WRX, and if I went out an bought a Porsche right now, it would probably be a pristine black 928 or a Cayenne. Like I said above, the 911 is the wife's, and although it is nice, it ain't my style really.

ill agree that the cayenne is a nice vehicle...but i would still rather have a VX ;)

And I agree about the new muscle too. Why spend $35k on a new Mustang
when I could own a CHERRY restored, uber tuned 1972 Mach 1? :wtfy:

AGREED!!!!!

Still, a good discussion...

agreed again ;)

Bart

Yeah, man, sorry, I REALLY effed this thread up... :mbrasd:

Bart

no worries my friend... i dont ever mind TJ'ing..this site would be boring without it..

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/17/2009, 12:41 AM
I sort of agree and sort of don't. I don't like the new Camaro as it is HUGE since they basically put a 2-door car on a 4-door Pontiac G8 chassis. Same for the Challenger...looks bloated since they put a 2-door car on a 4-door Dodge Charger chassis. Both are HEAVY.

I never cared for the early mustangs until about '67 to '72 and never cared for the '80's or '90's versions. Went to the Auto Show in 2005 and liked the Mustang GT...but, didn't want to spend 29 grand + for one.

Finally, came home with an '07 GT w/5-speed manual that had 5,200 miles on the clock (stored winters) for $19k.

I'm not a poster child for Ford either...only owned one other...'79 Bronco. Other than snapping a timing chain & toasting a motor plus rusting profusely..it was reliable.

I really didn't want a 'vintage' muscle car again....had one...'69 Roadrunner. Don't feel like messing with carbs or tracking down parts. Agreed that they produce TONS of torque and are classics...but, I just wanted a MODERN car with MODERN fuel injection..no hassles..modern conviences...get in, turn key, starts and goes without bucking down the highway when cold..vapor-locking when hot...etc. plus it will be my daily driver along with my motorcycle during spring/summer/fall...then my VX is the DD in winter.

I basically bought mine because it was AFFORDABLE as opposed to a new one that has the same engine for $32k or a new Camaro SS for $32k+ or a new Challenger R/T for mid-thirties. The latter two won't deal because they are new models where as the Mustang has been out since '05...

I don't get the younger generations fixation on sedans either. My buddy @ work was looking to buy a car for his son and he said he was looking for around an '04-'05 for around $8k-$9K or less and preferred an import for reliability. I found him a "cherry" '05 Toyota Celica GT-S, Silver, for around $8K and his son "insisted" he wanted a 4-door....wound up getting a '05 Toyota Corolla...for $9k....WTF??????

WormGod
06/17/2009, 08:26 AM
That is a very bizarre vehicle. Maybe someone is very handy with a MIG welder and has lots of time to boot.

It would certainly be interesting to get the skinny on that rig.

:rolleyes: They look about the same to me.

And the Outback wagons, are nothing more than hippy cars for hippies that don't genuinely care about the environment. :D

Ya, you're right. You just don't get it. Trust me, I could go on and on about that VX that you drive. Hypocrite. :p

nfpgasmask
06/17/2009, 08:31 AM
I never cared for the early mustangs until about '67 to '72 and never cared for the '80's or '90's versions. Went to the Auto Show in 2005 and liked the Mustang GT...but, didn't want to spend 29 grand + for one.

I have to admit, the one thing that I do like about the modern muscle, is AT LEAST there is some semblance of style. I agree, the 80s and 90s stangs had a piss poor design, just pug ugly all around. The new Stang at least looks decent, despite it being a throw back, which was intentional. The new Camaro looks decent too, but there is just something about it that don't like and for the life of me I can't put my finger on it...:rolleyes:

I'm not a poster child for Ford either...only owned one other...'79 Bronco. Other than snapping a timing chain & toasting a motor plus rusting profusely..it was reliable.

It's funny, my dad has always been a Chevy nut. I never really took sides. But when I told him I liked the old Mach 1s, he was like, "really?". :D Like I kicked him in the nuts or something. :rotate:

But, when it comes right down to it, I will walk over to the Ford line for one reason and one reason only, and that is what I believe to be the nastiest, knarleiest, baddest car EVER in the history of modern automobiles: The Last of the V8 Interceptors...

http://www.nofuture.com/lj/2009/02-25-09/02.jpg

My life long dream car. :D

So Ford wins, even though it's Ford Australia.

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/17/2009, 08:33 AM
Ya, you're right. You just don't get it. Trust me, I could go on and on about that VX that you drive. Hypocrite. :p

Theeere you are Worm! Better late than never, eh?

It's ok, I still love you and Jack even though you guys like those 4-door race cars for some odd reason. :p

Bart

WormGod
06/17/2009, 09:07 AM
Theeere you are Worm! Better late than never, eh?

It's ok, I still love you and Jack even though you guys like those 4-door race cars for some odd reason. :p

Bart

That's ok. You can ask questions that really have no answers all you like. It entertains me. Sorta like watching a 6 month old blow raspberries. :p

On topic though, I followed progress of this '09 Subaru Forester SEMA project emergency response vehicle.

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/11888189+w750+st0/0812_07_z+2009_subaru_forester+at_sEMA.jpg

Totally dig it. Pretty strange and until it is actually "field tested", it's just another show car to me, but I think that something like this might have a professional market if it went that route.

Full story here: http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0812_2009_subaru_forester_show_vehicle/index.html

pbkid
06/17/2009, 12:31 PM
http://www.nofuture.com/lj/2009/02-25-09/02.jpg

My life long dream car. :D

So Ford wins, even though it's Ford Australia.

Bart

really bart???? that thing??? its FREAKIN hideious!!!

looks like somebody chopped the crap outta an 80's mustang and tried to do some welding...but was a crappy welder...

plus, whats with the 4 exhaust pipes out the side??

nfpgasmask
06/17/2009, 12:46 PM
really bart???? that thing??? its FREAKIN hideious!!!

looks like somebody chopped the crap outta an 80's mustang and tried to do some welding...but was a crappy welder...

Jack, you mean to tell me you have never seen Mad Max or the Road Warrior before? Are you serious? I mean sure, if you don't like it that's fine, but to not know what it is from??? How old are you again? :wtfy:

:p Bart

pbkid
06/17/2009, 12:55 PM
definately not old enough to appreciate that ugly thing...

must be a fantasy thing from a movie??? or someone you know who drove one??

kodiak
06/17/2009, 01:01 PM
I love the two tone gloss and satin paint that this guy did.:thumbup:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_QnFRTjqRrtQ/RfNvYnAgONI/AAAAAAAAD-w/5n_9BmKJDus/IMG_2753.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_QnFRTjqRrtQ/RfNviHAgOOI/AAAAAAAAD-4/rjhT9vqecq4/IMG_2754.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_QnFRTjqRrtQ/RfNvSHAgOMI/AAAAAAAAD-o/T9arXv6k9ss/IMG_2752.JPG

Mad Max 2 is one of the best post apocalyptic movies ever made. Not seeing it is like not seeing Star Wars. Its just bizarre.;)

nfpgasmask
06/17/2009, 01:07 PM
definately not old enough to appreciate that ugly thing...

must be a fantasy thing from a movie??? or someone you know who drove one??

Originally, it would have looked like this:
http://www.gt351.com.au/image_library/XB_GT_McLeod_Horn_Striped_Coupe.jpg

And yes, that is the car from Mad Max. Isn't Mad Max or AT LEAST the Road Warrior like REQUIRED viewing for every male at the age of 12 or was that just me? Man, I guess I am getting old...:wtfy:

So you really don't like any of this stuff, Jack?

http://www.mustang-blogs.com/wp-content/photos/48/i/1972mach1-380x380o.jpg

http://www.timelessrides.com/files/1972-javelin.jpg

http://static.racingjunk.com/63/ui/9/56/6739020008508-1970-Pontiac-GTO-Prostreet.jpg

If you answer is no, than this explains a lot about things and why you like 4-door race cars. :) It's just a big generation gap I guess.

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/17/2009, 01:19 PM
I love the two tone gloss and satin paint that this guy did.:thumbup:

Mad Max 2 is one of the best post apocalyptic movies ever made. Not seeing it is like not seeing Star Wars. Its just bizarre.;)

Exactly, I don't understand how kids today grow up without seeing at least the Road Warrior, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc.

I mean, my dad showed me all sorts of stuff from the 60s and 70s, and I watched LOADS of movies as a kid. Jack, please tell me you have AT LEAST seen Red Dawn? I probably watched that movie like 1200 times as a kid.

The gloss and satin job is the "Black on Black" as it was painted in the first movie.

Bart

kodiak
06/17/2009, 01:54 PM
Exactly, I don't understand how kids today grow up without seeing at least the Road Warrior, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc.
Bart

That's still pretty odd, I mean that would be like us not seeing Planet Of The Apes, Dr Strange Love and Flight of the phoenix. It's just not right.:_thinking

nfpgasmask
06/17/2009, 02:00 PM
OH MY GOD! Someone my age just said - "I don't understand how kids today..." You are aging faster than I am, me thinks! :bwgy:

Perhaps, but I also suppose I said that jokingly...I think. :rolleyes:

That's still pretty odd, I mean that would be like us not seeing Planet Of The Apes, Dr Strange Love and Flight of the phoenix. It's just not right.:_thinking

Hmmm, I have neither heard of, or seen €œFlight of the phoenix€. Time to queue it up.

Bart

kodiak
06/17/2009, 02:07 PM
Hmmm, I have neither heard of, or seen Flight of the phoenix. Time to queue it up.

Bart

The Flight of the Phoenix (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059183/) ;)

pbkid
06/17/2009, 02:32 PM
oh man...i guess im showing my age :rollgray:

no, but really.. i have heard of some of these films, but no...i havent seen em...never really been into sci-fi though to be honest...

and actually no on the cars bart, all of those look like over-heavy hunks of metal...i can appreciate them for being a good vehicle for their time, but they are dead now and FAR outdated...

dont get me wrong, i can appreciate that at the time, that was an amazing vehicle..but nowadays, it just seems useless. big, heavy, ugly, stock-has no power....yes with lots of $$$ and time one can make one of those really fast...but that can be said with ANY vehicle...

as whitney has watched us discuss throughout this thread she just keeps telling me, "its all about what you grow up with, thats what was cool when they were 16, so to them its cool stll...to you, japanese cars are cool, so its cool to you"....sadly enough, i think shes right again :(

CrnCnn
06/17/2009, 02:38 PM
I am 29 and I grew up as ricers were gaining popularity and fat exausts. I appreciate some of them but I also grew up with a '69 camaro in the garage. My real dad driving a '70 3/4 ton 4x and my grandfather (who owned a 39 ford until he was diagnosed with cancer when I was 15) owned his own auto parts store that I would play hookie from school so I could hang there all day.

Guess what I am trying to say is that age has nothing to do with it.

nfpgasmask
06/17/2009, 03:03 PM
oh man...i guess im showing my age :rollgray:

no, but really.. i have heard of some of these films, but no...i havent seen em...never really been into sci-fi though to be honest...

First off, Mad Max is not sci-fi. I would say action/adventure. And Red Dawn, well, let's just say Jack, that you NEED to go rent this asap, especially since you live in Colorado and like the outdoors. Red Dawn is not sci-fi. This film was as monumental, if not more so than Mad Max for me. Regardless of age, check it out. I think you might like it.

and actually no on the cars bart, all of those look like over-heavy hunks of metal.

That's because they are!! I would much rather have a heavy steel monster than a plastic toy. That's what amazed me about the Trooper, the whole thing is made of metal! The thing is a tank!

..i can appreciate them for being a good vehicle for their time, but they are dead now and FAR outdated...

Well sure, of course they are outdated. Hell, the VX is outdated if you really think about it. For me, it has nothing to do with anything but the way they look. I really don't care for ANYTHING that came out of the 70s, but the cars. IMO, there has been NOTHING the American auto industry has produced since then that I even remotely like. IMO, the 80s was the greatest era for exotics and the 90s, well, basically it had nothing at all until the VX. And today, again, I fall back because I think just about everything is boring/looks the same/ugly.

dont get me wrong, i can appreciate that at the time, that was an amazing vehicle..but nowadays, it just seems useless. big, heavy, ugly, stock-has no power....yes with lots of $$$ and time one can make one of those really fast...but that can be said with ANY vehicle...

Useless, true. Expensive, absolutely. Stock-has no power, not sure about that one, I never thought a 351 V8 was powerless, but again, I am strictly talking about the looks here. Do the looks of a vehicle even matter to you, Jack? Or is it all about economy and power?? Given the fact that you own a VX, I have to think you care at least a little about style and aesthetics!

as whitney has watched us discuss throughout this thread she just keeps telling me, "its all about what you grow up with, thats what was cool when they were 16, so to them its cool stll...to you, japanese cars are cool, so its cool to you"....sadly enough, i think shes right again :(

Well, yes and no. I think she is right to an extent. If she were 100% right, than I really shouldn't like early 70s muscle at all, since I wasn't even alive yet, but for me, it was something that I have always loved since I was a kid. I can't stand 70s music at all (save for the Moody Blues and some late 70s disco and of course punk), and I hate the clothing styles of the 70s, but the short period between 1970 and 1974 produced the coolest looking American cars EVER, imho. I like 80s cars too, and to say I don't like Japanese cars is wrong (I have a VX, remember?). I really love the 80s Japanese sports cars like the Datsun 280z, the old Supras, and cars like that. Going further back, I don't really care for much from the 1960s, but then the 1950s, I have to admit I like a little of that. A well done rat rod can look pretty sweet. And you wanna talk heavy hunks of metal!

I think you and I differ because I won't give anything the time of day if I think it doesn't look cool first. Life is too short to drink cheap beer, drive a boring vehicle, and diet. You only live once, so shoot for the stars, man!

Bart

Gussie2000
06/17/2009, 03:58 PM
nice, i couldnt agree more about any sports car gussie!!

wish there were some sort of track here in colorado for stuff like that.

Sorry for your infortune luck.

I'll be going to NJ & look at more of those racing/drag contests & have some videos/pics to share with you guys.

The 1rst two times i went was in my brother 'n law pathfinder,but next time i'll getting my horse over there to cause some conmotion :evil:

nfpgasmask
06/17/2009, 04:30 PM
I'm not sure if this has turned into an argue with Jack threadjacking thread

With what Justin said above, Jack, I hope you don't think I am ganging up on you or anything, not at all, just killing time and having fun discussing things. It's all good!

Bart

kodiak
06/17/2009, 04:53 PM
Justin’s right if you haven’t experience a true muscle car then you’re missing out on quite an experience. I’ve owned one or two in my day and this was my favorite. Well technically it’s a pony car, but boy did it have power. :p

http://www.amcarys.no/Medlemmer/Dag_Arne_Dimmen/cougar.jpg
1968 Cougar XR-7. Mine wasn’t quite this nice. :o

pbkid
06/17/2009, 05:32 PM
justin, bart...not at all...
im reading this thread with a smile on my face.

i enjoy discussing cars...its hard to find ANYONE around here who doesnt just simply say...well its a ricer and its not worth a crap...

and justin, i think you are probably right...if i got in the passenger (or better driver ;) ) seat of a built muscle car im sure i wouuld have a smile on my face... then let me flip the coin on you and say that if you got in my buddy/mechanic's 09 skyline GTR you would probably have a smile on your face as you take a 15mph turn at 90mph.... or as you get sideways at 80+ MPH in his fully built nissan silvia...or even sitting passenger in his 'little' honda civic... oh ya, it runs 11.6 1/4 mile at 6,400ft elevation ;)

i guess there is a time and place for anything...any fast car is fun to ride in...and i love pretty much all cars :naughty:

pbkid
06/17/2009, 06:12 PM
dude, the Vector is a MEAN MACHINE....

didnt they also make a W12 version???

ya, i personally love the R34 best (next to the R35)...i think the body styling is just classic...

one of my car buddies here in greeley has an R32 daily driver...not too pretty YET..ill try to get some pics for ya ;)

JRSOBX
06/17/2009, 06:47 PM
I had an El Camino for a few years.

One of my co-workers came up and asked me to hit the hydraulics. He really thought all El Caminos could bounce.

Riff Raff
06/17/2009, 06:55 PM
Justins right if you havent experience a true muscle car then youre missing out on quite an experience. Ive owned one or two in my day and this was my favorite. Well technically its a pony car, but boy did it have power. :p

http://www.amcarys.no/Medlemmer/Dag_Arne_Dimmen/cougar.jpg
1968 Cougar XR-7. Mine wasnt quite this nice. :o

Nice, I still have my Candy Midnight Blue 302-4V 1968 Cougar with Violet Pearl Clear-coat. It's my very first car from high school; has now been restored to show room condition and has won many 1st Place "Best of Show" trophies. It's in my garage, parked next to my VX.

djvx
06/17/2009, 08:35 PM
Very rare to hear muscle cars being ''poo pooed'' as useless and outdated. Speaking to their held value should tell you they are certainly not worthless. Time will tell if a Subaru will hold equal value as a driving icon as the muscle cars do to this day. I certainly do not get "happy" squeezing into a civic "tin can" and having a 16 year old driver show me what fun behind a wheel is all about. I'll definitely pass on that.
Cheers

pbkid
06/17/2009, 09:00 PM
good thing me, nor my mechanic are 16 huh?? im almost 23 and my mechanic is almost 30 now....

his civic is fully race built...all motor, not driven on the street, although it is street legal... no turbo's or superchargers and it runs that well at high altitude, which says a lot for the car..

kodiak
06/17/2009, 09:15 PM
Nice, I still have my Candy Midnight Blue 302-4V 1968 Cougar with Violet Pearl Clear-coat. It's my very first car from high school; has now been restored to show room condition and has won many 1st Place "Best of Show" trophies. It's in my garage, parked next to my VX.

Very cool!:yes: Mine was a 302 4V and a stick but it definitely wasnt in showroom condition, I couldnt believe how much power that thing had. Im still kicking my self for selling it.:_brickwal Post some pix, Id love to see yours.

nfpgasmask
06/17/2009, 09:28 PM
Bart has his accessible dream car but

Man, if you only knew the half of it. I've in the process of acquiring this car for over 7 years. It's a long (and rather stupid :mbrasd:) story, but nonetheless, it has been a loooong wait. Accessible yes, but I made some mistakes along the way that I could have avoided if I was at the same frame of mind and life state that I am in now. Either way, the day is almost here and despite the basically horrid condition it is in (imagine AWOL with a lot of crusty brown holes) I am extremely determined to see this project through and build my dream car.

Bart

djvx
06/17/2009, 09:48 PM
good thing me, nor my mechanic are 16 huh?? im almost 23 and my mechanic is almost 30 now....

his civic is fully race built...all motor, not driven on the street, although it is street legal... no turbo's or superchargers and it runs that well at high altitude, which says a lot for the car..

I've seen plenty of them, maybe on pinks-and hundreds on the streets. All the drivers I see are very young, and I doubt if a hi-percentage have full roll cages, I imagine getting a car to fly that fast has alot to do with it's weight-thus the "tin can" comment. Glad you have a niche you like, it's your life- like whatever you want.

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/17/2009, 10:24 PM
Man, if you only knew the half of it. I've in the process of acquiring this car for over 7 years. It's a long (and rather stupid :mbrasd:) story, but nonetheless, it has been a loooong wait. Accessible yes, but I made some mistakes along the way that I could have avoided if I was at the same frame of mind and life state that I am in now. Either way, the day is almost here and despite the basically horrid condition it is in (imagine AWOL with a lot of crusty brown holes) I am extremely determined to see this project through and build my dream car.

Bart

I'm a HUGE Mad Max fan as well and can't wait to see your project come to life and <hopefully> get to see the completion of it.

I do have a die-cast collectible of the interceptor (numbered collectible) that came from Australia via Ebay that sits proudly on my display shelf! This was the very reason I bought the SC for my VX as I never had a SC'd vehicle and longed to hear that blower whine that has haunted me since seeing 'Mad Max' for the first time (can't even say how many times I've viewed it since!)

Those are referred to as collectors....(IIRC sometimes called 'zoomies')

if the ones in the pic aren't simulated (fake), their purpose was to hook up directly to the header pipes coming off the engine... so in effect each pipe is exhausting each cylinder independently. That's why there is (actually) 4 pipes on each side of the car (V8). You see the same thing on FunnyCars (NHRA dragsters).

pbkid
06/18/2009, 12:44 AM
if the ones in the pic aren't simulated (fake), their purpose was to hook up directly to the header pipes coming off the engine... so in effect each pipe is exhausting each cylinder independently. That's why there is (actually) 4 pipes on each side of the car (V8). You see the same thing on FunnyCars (NHRA dragsters).
sure, im well aware of the drag and funny car reasoning behind it...but they also pump 16 gallons of fuel in 1/4 mile....they need to get all that out...

(close family friend races T/F drag)

DJVX- most of the ones you see on the street cant do those type of numbers, they just like to think they can. i love my niche and will defend and protect it almost as much at my VX niche ;)

nfpgasmask
06/18/2009, 09:23 AM
I'm a HUGE Mad Max fan as well and can't wait to see your project come to life and <hopefully> get to see the completion of it.

ME TOO.

I do have a die-cast collectible of the interceptor (numbered collectible) that came from Australia via Ebay that sits proudly on my display shelf! This was the very reason I bought the SC for my VX as I never had a SC'd vehicle and longed to hear that blower whine that has haunted me since seeing 'Mad Max' for the first time (can't even say how many times I've viewed it since!)

I've seen that die-cast model and on several occasions I almost bought it. But stopped myself and said, "no, I'm gonna wait for the REAL thing". The super charger and blower unit will be the final piece of the puzzle for me. The body kit alone is going to run me about $4000 that I don't have at the moment. There are 2 options for the blower, a working unit (that gives the car somewhere around 500/600 horsepower, so I've read) or a phony unit (as was used in the films). Obsioulsy, the working unit is NO JOKE when it comes to price and I have read that you really need to "beef up" the frame much like drag racers do to their cars to handle the power that Jack thinks muscle cars can't have. :D (sorry, kid, I couldn't help it)

Those are referred to as collectors....(IIRC sometimes called 'zoomies')

That is correct. You will notice in the pic there are no rear exhaust pipes. That particular car has working zoomies, I have a couple more pics of it where you can see the exhaust coming out. I will be buying these eventually:

Zoomies (http://www.madmaxcars.com/products/product_view.cgi?id_number=558089820991)

It's gonna be a crazy summer.

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/18/2009, 09:26 AM
sure, im well aware of the drag and funny car reasoning behind it...but they also pump 16 gallons of fuel in 1/4 mile....they need to get all that out...

Don't forget that this car was made for a movie, and a lot of the mods were fake or not necessary and just done for looks...looks that I admire quite a bit as well. :D

Bart

pbkid
06/18/2009, 11:28 AM
[" the frame much like drag racers do to their cars to handle the power that Jack thinks muscle cars can't have. :D (sorry, kid, I couldn't help it)

no no....i didnt say that they cant produce power, i know they can produce power... i just think that they are over-rated and far out-dated. and i prefer to get power out of something that can also take corners and stop as well as it can go forward ;)

Don't forget that this car was made for a movie, and a lot of the mods were fake or not necessary and just done for looks...looks that I admire quite a bit as well. :D

Bart

ahhh, ok...now it makes more sense, see i wasnt aware that it was a car made for a movie..i thought the one you pictured was the stardard version of that car...

Cobrajet
06/18/2009, 12:23 PM
...and i prefer to get power out of something that can also take corners and stop as well as it can go forward...Cornering and stopping is for wusses! It's a pure adrenalin rush to get one of these 4000 pound musclecars into the triple digits when you are riding on skinny bias-belted tires (what's a speed rating??), non-power drum brakes (the brakes don't fade 'cause there ain't no brakes to start with), and a suspension lifted from the 50's (minimize that unspung weight.) What fun is it if the car can do everything better than the driver?

http://home.comcast.net/~gregg.north/Cobra09.jpg

pbkid
06/18/2009, 12:36 PM
Cornering and stopping is for wusses! It's a pure adrenalin rush to get one of these 4000 pound musclecars into the triple digits when you are riding on skinny bias-belted tires (what's a speed rating??), non-power drum brakes (the brakes don't fade 'cause there ain't no brakes to start with), and a suspension lifted from the 50's (minimize that unspung weight.) What fun is it if the car can do everything better than the driver?

:laugho:

see, that doesnt appease me much for a daily driver...drag strip car...thats a different story, but thats not the discussion ;)

nfpgasmask
06/18/2009, 01:27 PM
ahhh, ok...now it makes more sense, see i wasnt aware that it was a car made for a movie..i thought the one you pictured was the stardard version of that car...

Dude, on your way home today, stop at your local Blockbuster "Media" and rent The Road Warrior. Please, just do it! :D

Bart

WormGod
06/18/2009, 02:54 PM
Dude, on your way home today, stop at your local Blockbuster "Media" and rent The Road Warrior. Please, just do it! :D

Bart

I still prefer Mad max.

"Night..... Riiiideeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr!"

I always wanted to fight Jonny the Boy. Even as a 10 year old, I hated that pansy.

CrnCnn
06/18/2009, 02:56 PM
I still prefer Mad max.

x2 but the road warrior was good.

nfpgasmask
06/18/2009, 04:13 PM
I still prefer Mad max.

"Night..... Riiiideeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr!"

I always wanted to fight Jonny the Boy. Even as a 10 year old, I hated that pansy.

Well, I say Road Warrior only because I think Jack needs to be eased into it properly. Mad Max was pretty low budget and it is dated. I wouldn't want Jack thinking it is "too outdated" to even like. The Road Warrior however had a bigger budget and is a little more polished. Plus, its the Road Warrior version of the Falcon I will be building. :)

Bart

Triathlete
06/18/2009, 07:31 PM
Here (http://jalopnik.com/359289/) is one to take camping!:yesy::bwgy:

technocoy
06/18/2009, 09:16 PM
Since we were talking about this classic.... They stand to possibly rape our childhoods again.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41453

pbkid
06/18/2009, 09:49 PM
no no bart...i try to give everything i come across a chance...even low budget movies ;)

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/18/2009, 10:54 PM
You will notice in the pic there are no rear exhaust pipes. That particular car has working zoomies, I have a couple more pics of it where you can see the exhaust coming out. I will be buying these eventually:

Zoomies (http://www.madmaxcars.com/products/product_view.cgi?id_number=558089820991)

It's gonna be a crazy summer.

Bart

WOW...those are nice and really not priced bad at all. I paid like $474 for 'shorty' headers from Summit for my Ram....those Mad Max Zoomies are listed as $400...surprised they aren't ALOT more!

x2 but the road warrior was good.

X3 and ditto on 'Road Warrior'....never cared for 'Beyond Thunderdome' though.

nfpgasmask
06/19/2009, 04:39 PM
Since we were talking about this classic.... They stand to possibly rape our childhoods again.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41453

Yeah, read about that yesterday. Absolutely absurd. Can't we do anything original?

:_brickwal Bart

nfpgasmask
06/19/2009, 04:40 PM
X3 and ditto on 'Road Warrior'....never cared for 'Beyond Thunderdome' though.

A lot of people don't like the Thunderdome, and even though it is my least favorite of the three, I still like it...It just lacks the car porn the other 2 had but imo, it is still a really fun movie to watch.

Bart

Marlin
06/19/2009, 04:56 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw those guys on a trail in Moab this year...unless it was a dream, sometimes it's hard to tell...:_confused

Ldub, it was on Poison spider, and it wasn't that one, unless he got a new paint job. The one we saw was a bright fluorescent green/yellow base for the exo. And it was a diesel I think, or at least it sounded like it. It was a forester body though...it was badass, but looked boring to drive, he didn't even need skill to drive it. Point and shoot and it would make it.

Gizmo42
06/19/2009, 04:58 PM
The mad max interceptor started as a 1973 XB GT Ford Falcon Coupe, a car exclusive to Australia.

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cars/mad-max-interceptor/index.html

Did anyone notice the links posted in the ebay auction for the superman VX? One of them links to a video of Kasia. She's famous! LOL.

Back on topic, the vehicle in the original post is a heavily modified Axiom. It was built by Mike Goldin who owns a subaru shop near where I live in Aurora. http://www.summitauto.us/

He also has a modified subi forrester and he's taken both of them to Moab a few times. Here is the cardomain page for Yurchalka http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2477601

Marlin
06/19/2009, 04:59 PM
Personally, I don't like Subi's either (sorry kid, Worm). Explain to me what about a 4-door sedan is exactly cool?

Did you know a Honda S2K is about 8K less than an STI and beats the turbo charged STI naturally aspirated in the 1/4 mile. Can you imagine what you could do with 8K to a S2K?!!! It would crush any STI, not to mention it actually looks sporty.......

Marlin
06/19/2009, 05:11 PM

I mean, my dad showed me all sorts of stuff from the 60s and 70s, and I watched LOADS of movies as a kid. Jack, please tell me you have AT LEAST seen Red Dawn? I probably watched that movie like 1200 times as a kid.

The gloss and satin job is the "Black on Black" as it was painted in the first movie.

Bart

Oh Bart, too bad you weren't at Moab, I cannot tell you how many times I have seen it, nor how many times I had dreams about it in junior high......

Jack, I am glad the new STI is a hatchback...hahahahahahahahahahaha, at least it can haul a lot of groceries now.....

I don't know how I missed this thread, thanks to Riffraff for pointing it out for me...

Triathlete
06/19/2009, 05:44 PM
Ldub, it was on Poison spider, and it wasn't that one, unless he got a new paint job. The one we saw was a bright fluorescent green/yellow base for the exo. And it was a diesel I think, or at least it sounded like it. It was a forester body though...it was badass, but looked boring to drive, he didn't even need skill to drive it. Point and shoot and it would make it.

The one in Moab was this one...
http://www.summitauto.us/tarahtelka/709b.jpg

Ldub
06/19/2009, 11:03 PM
The mad max interceptor started as a 1973 XB GT Ford Falcon Coupe, a car exclusive to Australia.

Did anyone notice the links posted in the ebay auction for the superman VX? One of them links to a video of Kasia. She's famous! LOL.

Back on topic, the vehicle in the original post is a heavily modified Axiom. It was built by Mike Goldin who owns a subaru shop near where I live in Aurora. http://www.summitauto.us/

He also has a modified subi forrester and he's taken both of them to Moab a few times. Here is the cardomain page for Yurchalka http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2477601

Good one Giz...:thumbup:

I've been lookin' for that link for two days...:thanx:

nfpgasmask
06/19/2009, 11:48 PM

Yeah, madmaxmovies.com is Peter Barton's website and it is THE website for Mad Max fans. :D

If any of you guys are interested in replica cars, particularly Mad Max replicas, check out this thread on the forum over there:

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7395

Pretty insane and super ambitious.

Bart

Gizmo42
06/20/2009, 07:25 PM

Gotta help out my pony tail brotha LOL.

One of the these days I'm going to go over and look at those trucks. Its only a few miles away from me.

Ldub
06/21/2009, 06:44 AM
Gotta help out my pony tail brotha LOL.

One of the these days I'm going to go over and look at those trucks. Its only a few miles away from me.

Many thanks Bro, I can use all the help that I can get...:yes:

Make sure to take some pics if you get over there for a visit.

WormGod
06/22/2009, 09:19 AM
Did you know a Honda S2K is about 8K less than an STI and beats the turbo charged STI naturally aspirated in the 1/4 mile. Can you imagine what you could do with 8K to a S2K?!!! It would crush any STI, not to mention it actually looks sporty.......

Again with the cute ignorance. Let me see if I can edumacate you all just a little bit so you stop sounding so... well.... ignorant of the subject at hand (though I know you just enjoy throwing fuel into the fire for the sake of it :winko: )....

First, S2k and STi? 2 different stock applications. I wouldn't expect the haters and naysayers here to fully understand exactly what "Rally inspired" means since it has nothing to do with NASCAR and rock crawling. :p

Funny comparing a street roadster to a 4 door hatchback cross trainer. Did you know that the GMC Typhoon could blow the doors off of your VX? Oh wait.... 2 different applications. My bad. Got an S2k or a Typhoon? Hope you have a garage when it snows, cause they're staying there.

S2k for $8k less? Interesting. http://automobiles.honda.com/s2000/ I got my '09 STi for exactly the price listed there for less than the CR. I must have just been lucky.

Some more food for thought. Did you know the '09 WRX can beat the STi out of the gate on a 1/4 too? Hell, if I cared about JUST launching in a straight line, I would just build a dragster!

My STi is my year 'round DD and is managing to get better than expected mpg. I just filled up Saturday and before resetting my mpg clock, it showed my last tank averaged 31.4mpg. Not bad for a 4-door hatch with AWD that can do 0-60 in 4.8secs, stock.

The STi is and always has been an endurance designed vehicle. RallyX isn't about who goes in a short, straight line faster than they other guy. Understanding the sport of RallyX might educate you more on the design behind the STi....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rallycross

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rally_Championship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rally_Car

I think the haters need to take a step back and think about the broad picture.... your VX really isn't much different than the STi.

Like the VX.... I don't see many other vehicles on the road having these capabilities, STOCK, and being pretty damned good at them, simply because that is the intention behind the design....

http://www.alaskagrandprix.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/rallyx.jpg

http://2britsracing.com/images/rallyx_5.jpg

And yes, this too....

http://www.firmhope.org/wp-content/uploads/paper-bag-of-groceries.jpg

:bwgy: :bwgy: :bwgy:

So, why would anyone buy one if they don't rallyX? The only real answer to that is, because they wanted one. Solid street performance in the spring/summer and versatile AWD in the rainy/snowy fall/winter. Why do you have a 2 door SUV that hardly fits 3 people and gets fairly poor mpg for it's size? Hell, I have not just 1, but both, and I have them because I wanted them. Both do everything I need them to do when I want to do them.

I know most of you just enjoy throwing rocks at the hornet's nest, but let it be known, I stood up for Subarus (STi) on vehicross.info and defended them against a crew that drives an even more unpopular vehicle, the VehiCROSS.
Wow.... the irony, hahahaha.

Oh.... I pulled out my dusty copy of Mad Max and watched it again this weekend. I forgot what a cool cat Goose was. "I dunno man.... I just GOT here myself...."

WormGod
06/22/2009, 11:41 AM
Speaking of cute ignorance... what makes you think the Typhoon can't perform in the snow?!?! :confused:

Cause my dad had one. :P

Add: sry, hit post before i was done.

When my cruddy Z24 was totaled in NJ back in '92, I had taken my dad's Typhoon to Jersey to get me through till spring, when I would get out of school and hopefully get a new ride. Even with BF all all seasons on it, it stayed parked in nearly all snows. It would sit and spin all 4's. Not the best AWD system I had ever lived with. My roommate would drive us to school in his Dodge Colt. >.<

Got my Amigo soon after and life was good again.

vt_maverick
06/22/2009, 12:51 PM
Maybe we should start a thread category for Subaru bashing/promoting? Seems like I keep seeing the same basic off-topic posts appear over and over again in a bunch of different threads. :rolleyes:

pbkid
06/22/2009, 07:07 PM

thanks for the info...i figured someone would have to know something about it ;)
there's another forester here in monument thats just crazy...ill try to get some pics tomorrow for you guys.

ahh...like wormgod said, different applications...
i've been stressing over and over again that i need something to 1. carry my 150lb dog in. 2. something that can get me around, year round. 3. can still be quick and fun to drive...
so...i love the STI ;)

Oh Bart, too bad you weren't at Moab, I cannot tell you how many times I have seen it, nor how many times I had dreams about it in junior high......

Jack, I am glad the new STI is a hatchback...hahahahahahahahahahaha, at least it can haul a lot of groceries now.....

I don't know how I missed this thread, thanks to Riffraff for pointing it out for me...

yup, and my dog...and my snowboard...and my friends...and still haul @$$

Hey, I've taken my bumps and bruises for owning Jeeps, from those here, guilty of "cute ignorance" (I like that one, Gary!) toward extreme wheeling. :p So I feel warm and fuzzy to see a bit of dishing on those geared toward "street/dirt wheeling". When you own a vehicle like the VehiCROSS - a jack of all trades, master of none - it is just natural for the mid-range owners to lash out at the rigs atop the pedestal of those sports... dare I say the VX is a rare mix of those vehicles among two kingdoms, dominated separately, by Subaru and Jeep. Yes, I dare...
hmm...to each their own huh? ;)

djvx
06/22/2009, 08:22 PM
w.t.h. is a wormgod ?

Gussie2000
06/22/2009, 09:10 PM
Again with the cute ignorance. Let me see if I can edumacate you all just a little bit so you stop sounding so... well.... ignorant of the subject at hand (though I know you just enjoy throwing fuel into the fire for the sake of it :winko: )....

First, S2k and STi? 2 different stock applications. I wouldn't expect the haters and naysayers here to fully understand exactly what "Rally inspired" means since it has nothing to do with NASCAR and rock crawling. :p

Funny comparing a street roadster to a 4 door hatchback cross trainer. Did you know that the GMC Typhoon could blow the doors off of your VX? Oh wait.... 2 different applications. My bad. Got an S2k or a Typhoon? Hope you have a garage when it snows, cause they're staying there.

S2k for $8k less? Interesting. http://automobiles.honda.com/s2000/ I got my '09 STi for exactly the price listed there for less than the CR. I must have just been lucky.

Some more food for thought. Did you know the '09 WRX can beat the STi out of the gate on a 1/4 too? Hell, if I cared about JUST launching in a straight line, I would just build a dragster!

My STi is my year 'round DD and is managing to get better than expected mpg. I just filled up Saturday and before resetting my mpg clock, it showed my last tank averaged 31.4mpg. Not bad for a 4-door hatch with AWD that can do 0-60 in 4.8secs, stock.

The STi is and always has been an endurance designed vehicle. RallyX isn't about who goes in a short, straight line faster than they other guy. Understanding the sport of RallyX might educate you more on the design behind the STi....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rallycross

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rally_Championship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rally_Car

I think the haters need to take a step back and think about the broad picture.... your VX really isn't much different than the STi.

Like the VX.... I don't see many other vehicles on the road having these capabilities, STOCK, and being pretty damned good at them, simply because that is the intention behind the design....

http://www.alaskagrandprix.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/rallyx.jpg

http://2britsracing.com/images/rallyx_5.jpg

And yes, this too....

http://www.firmhope.org/wp-content/uploads/paper-bag-of-groceries.jpg

:bwgy: :bwgy: :bwgy:

So, why would anyone buy one if they don't rallyX? The only real answer to that is, because they wanted one. Solid street performance in the spring/summer and versatile AWD in the rainy/snowy fall/winter. Why do you have a 2 door SUV that hardly fits 3 people and gets fairly poor mpg for it's size? Hell, I have not just 1, but both, and I have them because I wanted them. Both do everything I need them to do when I want to do them.

I know most of you just enjoy throwing rocks at the hornet's nest, but let it be known, I stood up for Subarus (STi) on vehicross.info and defended them against a crew that drives an even more unpopular vehicle, the VehiCROSS.
Wow.... the irony, hahahaha.

Oh.... I pulled out my dusty copy of Mad Max and watched it again this weekend. I forgot what a cool cat Goose was. "I dunno man.... I just GOT here myself...."

You absolutely right,the concept about rally has been misunderstood,both vehicules,the VX & the STi shares many things in common than what we though off

I love the Sub's,it may not be in my personal list of vehicules that i'll go to the dealer & ride of the lot because i always been a SUV guy,but i do love how much they are capable of & its endurance.

WormGod
06/23/2009, 07:54 AM
Heh, true and fair enough. Any Jeep owners probably know that witch hunt well. I'll give you that much. The hardliners of any type of vehicle are always gonna be hard on the guys who can cover the whole field. They can always do 1 thing better, but the other guy can do it all pretty well. There probably never is a winner, heh.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking the Typhoon. It was a nasty piece of machinery for it's time. The Typhoon's application was not exactly geared towards being THAT versatile. I think anyone who has to deal with random and annoying east coast winters knows that versatility is golden, heh.

I think if I lived down south or out west, I would have a hangar of RWD machines. :yeso: :bgwo:

JHarris1385
06/23/2009, 08:09 AM
This is all old news at least the vehicle that is. Here is a thread I started a couple years ago. http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10374

Other cool vehicles too search are the jdm trucks made specifically for people living in iceland and so forth.

vt_maverick
06/23/2009, 09:53 AM
Back to topic... this is one of my favorite front/rear hatchet jobs:

http://www.alluglycars.com/data/media/2/bmw-mustang.jpg

nfpgasmask
06/23/2009, 10:24 AM

It's funny how this discussion has evolved. Because Worm, with the above statement, I still feel 100% differently. The VX looks super cool, I think we can all agree on that. The Subis (REGARDLESS OF THEIR CAPABILITIES) look like a regular old 4-door sedan. If you can describe to me how the don't, that would be great. Then maybe I can begin to sympathize. That was really my only original point. I do not doubt the capabilities and reliability of a Subaru. They are obviously quality vehicles for their price range. It's just that, imho, they look like nothing more than a Honda Civic. And being a person who likes the whole package, I simply don't understand.

In addition to that, I guess I just don't understand the "ricer" or "street racer" thing. I know I am no better with a wheeling rig, but the difference is (again this is just my opinion) that I ACTUALLY OFFROAD in my VX. Now, maybe I am totally wrong, but I would venture to believe that most people who own Subi's are not rallying them or drifting them or whatever. I mean, I saw a 350Z last weekend with a farbon kiber hood, body kit, spoiler, loads of racing stickers and NISMO crap, and couldn't help but wonder if that person just did all that modding to make his car "look cool". Does the driver ACTUALLY race his 350Z? Somehow I doubt it. But again, maybe I am wrong. Who knows.

Bart

WormGod
06/23/2009, 01:41 PM
I can't answer for the 350 owner. Maybe it's for show. But no matter what it is, it's his and I am sure he likes it. *shrug* If he races it, cool. If not, cool. We don't have to like it, but we CAN poke fun at it. :smilewink

As for looks of the VX vs a Sube, I wasn't playing that card. I was talking about usability/versatility. Both are physically designed to be cross trainers. They can take the beating of various terrains. Sorry, sounds like miscommunication there. On the look factor, oh ya, night and day. Subaru was NEVER known for looks. Still yet, I think my '09 is pretty ugly. I agree with Jeremy from Top Gear when he said the front of the new STi looks like a rhino's buttocks. Needless to say, I didn't really get it for it's looks. Symmetrical AWD, DCCD, big brakes, extra room to boot (so far.... dog, groceries, camping gear, passengers, etc), and simply fun to drive when I want. It is a perfect DD for every day that mother nature smiles or rears her ugly head. In the end, it sounds like a struggle over "form over function". I guess I just see it the other way around, heh.

But yes, I will agree with you all if I was misunderstood with your point.... my STi is butt ugly, but I love it, heh.

I do love the heritage though. RallyX and Colin Mcrea are what started it all with me....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaKiA4KjZ4o

And ya, back on topic.... this was forwarded to me by a co-worker today. Just.... wow....

http://www.motorcities.com/media/image/full/05LIN294417920C/2004-Hummer-H2-SUT-Custom-Barbie-Britney-Spears-No-Sale-at-$100,100-C-full.jpeg

Triathlete
06/23/2009, 01:42 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...you guys just need to agree to disagree! Now kiss and make up!:dan_ban:

nfpgasmask
06/23/2009, 02:17 PM
And ya, back on topic.... this was forwarded to me by a co-worker today. Just.... wow....

http://www.motorcities.com/media/image/full/05LIN294417920C/2004-Hummer-H2-SUT-Custom-Barbie-Britney-Spears-No-Sale-at-$100,100-C-full.jpeg

Yeah, I'd say that pretty much sums it up. ;)

Bart

Triathlete
06/23/2009, 02:46 PM
When did you buy that?:bwgy:

djvx
06/23/2009, 09:20 PM
nah, lets keep going with this....im certain harleys are hated too. So go on and start your diatribes on how lousy that American Icon is.
I'd take a harley any day of the week. I don't like them because of there performance, but rather the social fun that goes along with them. I like the extra weight and the riding position and generally feel more comfortable on them. I know Harley owns Buell-which actually makes crotch bikes so they aren't completely a oneway company. I'm sure I'm horribly off base about them and will soon learn how useless these overweight pieces of trash are, just like old hotrods.

nfpgasmask
06/23/2009, 09:30 PM
nah, lets keep going with this....im certain harleys are hated too. So go on and start your diatribes on how lousy that American Icon is.
I'd take a harley any day of the week. I don't like them because of there performance, but rather the social fun that goes along with them. I like the extra weight and the riding position and generally feel more comfortable on them. I know Harley owns Buell-which actually makes crotch bikes so they aren't completely a oneway company. I'm sure I'm horribly off base about them and will soon learn how useless these overweight pieces of trash are, just like old hotrods.

LOL, I actually don't care for 99% of the Harleys I have seen. I just don't like hogs. That said I don't like Crotch Rockets either. I am definitely right in the middle. If I was buying a bike right now it would be a Kaw KLR most likely. But, if money was no object I would be on this bike in a hot minute:

http://www.cortexity.com/nicksblog/images/bmwf800gs.jpg

:) Bart

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/23/2009, 11:41 PM
LOL, I actually don't care for 99% of the Harleys I have seen. I just don't like hogs. That said I don't like Crotch Rockets either. I am definitely right in the middle. If I was buying a bike right now it would be a Kaw KLR most likely. But, if money was no object I would be on this bike in a hot minute:

http://www.cortexity.com/nicksblog/images/bmwf800gs.jpg

:) Bart

I had a Harley....not planning on going back anytime soon. Would try/buy a Victory before going back to Harley. Know a few Victory owners and they LOVE their bikes. The styling of Victory bikes is more my taste...kind of Hot Roddy in an automotive way. Don't believe me? Take a look @ their website and see the Hammer S....makes you think Carol Shelby Cobra!

I did fall for the Harley V-Rod but quickly fell out of Love. Not comfortable for longer rides...small gas tank.....hated by traditionalists. Its pretty hard to pay $$$$ for a Harley that other Harley owners hate!

I felt my V-Strom was too much bang for the buck to say no :yesgray: and it reminds me so much of the VX! I've already had it up to 130mph on asphalt and it loves dirt/gravel back roads. Plus, I get complements on the sound of a racing V-Twin with performance mufflers all the time. **If you would like to hear a close approximation go to www.holeshot.com (and select video clips from menu...go down to SV1000 section and select from 1 of 4 vid's)

I watched a show called "Twist the Throttle" and one episode featured BMW and the bike you like Bart was featured in a segment. I DO like that bike!

Sorry for straying off topic!

I have been attracted to the Suburu Baja with turbo & manual trannie but they dropped it from their lineup....before they started painting the "cladding"...like pre-2005.

pbkid
06/24/2009, 06:48 PM
;puke2;

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
yup...thank you!!!

lol calm down djvx...its not a personal attack against you. you dont need to get defensive about it...

but if you really wanna know? i think harleys are annoying...a bunch of chrome (really cool back in the 70's and 80's)... annoyingly loud exhausts (they all sound the same)...
and im not going to discuss the harley riders here in colorado..because i dont want to make this personal (its a opinion...calm down)

:dan_ban:
isnt he f'in awesome???

djvx
06/24/2009, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=pbkid;163779];puke2;

yup...thank you!!!

lol calm down djvx...its not a personal attack against you. you dont need to get defensive about it...

but if you really wanna know? i think harleys are annoying...a bunch of chrome (really cool back in the 70's and 80's)... annoyingly loud exhausts (they all sound the same)...
and im not going to discuss the harley riders here in colorado..because i dont want to make this personal (its a opinion...calm down)

I didn't use any exclamation points or capitol letters. I don't need to calm down at all. I love my chrome and my Harley. Would you like to see a 65 year old man on a crotch rocket? Should he like them because a younger age group considers them "cool" ? Should my grampa where gangsta type clothing because thats what a certain age group deems as cool?
I think with age one's definition or appreciation of whats cool is totally subjective. So when you say chrome is bad you are looking at it from what your generation deems as uncool. Someday you will be where I am. And you might be trying to defend you're liking of "graphite" hoods. And some youger kid is going to tell you how uncool it is, your old subaru was and your plasticy looking motorcycle:grino:----it's just the way it is.

pbkid
06/24/2009, 09:58 PM
true...
i agree 100%.. ;)
finally, something we agree on..