PDA

View Full Version : Picking out my new tires.

JAMAS
06/15/2009, 01:17 PM
I know there are several other tire threads, but I wanted my own.:cool:

Its a little ways away (about 4 months) but I am going to get new tires that need to meet the following requirements.

*On/Off-Road
*All Season
*Great Snow/Ice traction
*Quiet

I am generally more on-road than off, but I want to have no problems when we get an Ohio blizzard. Also, the occasional off-road need (few and far between).

My initial thoughts were for the BFG All Terrains, but my current tires are 265/60/R18 and they don't make them in that size. I either need to go with 265/65/18 or something else. Would I even notice the 65 vs. 60?

WormGod
06/15/2009, 01:25 PM
I have $5 on Nitto Terra Grapplers. My VX is about 80% tarmac and the tires are wonderful. Mostly highway use and no rumble (though I am Dynamatted throughout). The other 20% is rain and snow, and they have been just as good. No complaints.

pbkid
06/15/2009, 04:05 PM
terra grapplers or BFG all terrains would work great for you..

or those new ones that KAT just got...something LTZ

JAMAS
06/15/2009, 04:07 PM
terra grapplers or BFG all terrains would work great for you..

or those new ones that KAT just got...something LTZ

I would love the BFG all terrains, but they dont make them in the same size as I have now (265/60/18). Do you think I would have any issue with 265/65/18?

nfpgasmask
06/15/2009, 04:30 PM
You know, not to knock the BFG A/Ts, but I had the A/Ts on prior to my M/Ts, and with the snow, the M/Ts win hands down. At least from my experience, the A/Ts would easily pack up, and I had at least 3 scary experiences while trying to stop in the snow/ice with these tires. Once I upgraded to the BFG M/Ts (granted I went from 245s to 265s) I really have had very little traction problems in the snow, and off road they were 100 times grippier than the A/Ts. I suppose they are a little louder though.

FWIW - Bart

Riff Raff
06/15/2009, 04:49 PM
I know there are several other tire threads, but I wanted my own.:cool:

Its a little ways away (about 4 months) but I am going to get new tires that need to meet the following requirements.

*On/Off-Road
*All Season
*Great Snow/Ice traction
*Quiet

I am generally more on-road than off, but I want to have no problems when we get an Ohio blizzard. Also, the occasional off-road need (few and far between).

My initial thoughts were for the BFG All Terrains, but my current tires are 265/60/R18 and they don't make them in that size. I either need to go with 265/65/18 or something else. Would I even notice the 65 vs. 60?

JAMAS--- Ok, let's take a look at your data requirements:

o On/Off Road + All Season = A/T Tread Design.
o Great Snow/Ice Traction = Snowflake/Mountain Rated.
o Quiet.
o Lightweight to maintain VX spirited performance.
o Make the VX look mean & aggressive.
o Long Lasting.
o Increased ground clearance.
o High Quality.
o Will fit WITHOUT "lifting".

Based upon the above requirements; there is only two(2) tires that meet the criteria, they are:

GENERAL - Grabber AT2 in P275/65R18 (32" O.D./44 lbs) This tire is also pre-pinned for "studs" (if desired).
PRO-COMP - All Terrain in P285/60R18 (31.3" O.D./43 lbs) This tire is close in O.D. to your current tires.

The above two(2) tires are BFG A/T "clones", and you will absolutely love the tread patterns of both. Check-out the GENERAL's at www.TireRack.com and check-out the PRO-COMP's at www.4WheelParts.com and www.TruckAddOns.com

pbkid
06/15/2009, 05:08 PM
I would love the BFG all terrains, but they dont make them in the same size as I have now (265/60/18). Do you think I would have any issue with 265/65/18?

i dont know all that much about tires...talk to someone who really knows their stuff... richie taylor just did a nice write up on tire info about 4 months ago IIRC...maybe talk to him about changing the 60 to 65

etlsport
06/15/2009, 05:44 PM
there is a full 1" difference in diameter from the 60 series to the 65 series.. that will be heavier and change the speed your engine/transmission run at, so youll notice a slight decrease in acceleration and handling.. but your vx will sit 1/2" higher for offroad purposes.. they are about the same size (height) as a 285/60/18 terra grappler than many here have used and loved, so i think you would be ok as far as fitting.. if youre like me though and push your vx through turns hard i think youll be happier with the smaller size,

right now the tires im looking at are..

nitto terra grappler 255/60/18
goodyear fortera tripletred 265/60/18 (this is probably what ill end up with)
goodyear wrangler duratrac (would have to get smaller rims probably but i really like this tire)
bridgestone dueler APT.. not sure about sizing on this one but i do like the tire itself
also considered the falken ZEIX TZ-01 265/60/18 for on-road only

things to look out for when you are buying your tires...

make sure they are at least an S speed rating.. H (this is what came factory) or V would be ideal

generally the larger your voids between tread, the better your weather traction is

directional tires are better for wet handling, but can cause problems if you have a full size spare, and you dont find many truck tires that are directional anyway

if you are calling around for prices.. make sure you make the shop specify whether you are being quoted the tire price or the installed tire price.. theres usually a pretty big difference (20-30 bucks/ tire in most cases)

JAMAS
06/16/2009, 08:33 AM
I am kinda liking the General Grabber AT-2 in a 255/60R18.

A little smaller than what I have now, but that's alright. (10.03" wide vs. 10.4" wide). The only thing I noticed was that the 255/60R18 was "NOT RATED FOR SEVERE SNOW", but the 265/70R18 are rated for severe snow.

That kind of makes sense because they would have a wider contact with the ground, but when you look at the 16" sizes, it gets confusing.

255/65R16 NOT RATED FOR SEVERE SNOW
255/70R16 is Rated for severe snow

Both of those have the same width, just larger rim to tire size.

I guess my question is, is there anything else that is different about the 255/60R18, other than its not as wide? Seems like it was just outside the range of the severe snow rating.

Riff Raff
06/16/2009, 05:20 PM
JAMAS--- The main reason a certain Grabber AT2 is not Snowflake/Mountain rated is primarily due to a combination of both "narrow tread width" and "shallow tread depth". Not all of the tire data is accurate on the TireRack website, although it's great for determining which are Snowflake/Mountain rated and which aren't. For accurate data, you need to go to the actual manufacturer website of GENERAL TIRE - USA.

For example, the Grabber AT2 in P255/60R18 (30" O.D./39 lbs) has a tread depth of only 13/32nds (per factory website). The AT2 in P265/70R18 (32" O.D./46 lbs) has a tread depth of 17/32nds. Obvisously; the deeper tread depth of 17/32nds is going to give the tire more biting traction, and will last longer before it finally reaches the tire's wear bars.

By contrast; the Snowflake/Mountain rated PRO-COMP - All Terrain in P285/60R18 (31.3" O.D./43 lbs) has a tread depth of 12/32nds (shallower than the 13/32nds of the AT2), but since it's also a wide 285 series tire, it has more tire patch area on the road surface enabling greater overall traction. Thus, it earned the Snowflake/Mountain rating.

I get the impression from your postings, that you favor a narrower tire in the 255--265 series width range, and one that is also Snowflake/Mountain rated. Given those parameters, the Grabber AT2 in P265/70R18 (32" O.D./46 lbs) might be an option for you. This particular tire will give you 1.25" increased ground clearance over stock, and comes in OWL for additional tire bling. It will easily fit on a stock non-lifted VX with only possible minor trimming of the front cladding if mounted on OEM 18x7 VX rims. It will also nicely "fill-up" the large gaps between tire and fender within the wheelwells.

If you decide to go with the smaller non-Snowflake/Mountain rated Grabber AT2 in size P255/60R18 (30" O.D./39 lbs) with 13/32nds tread depth, they will still dig like crazy in the snow and offer superior traction. It narrowly missed-out being Snowflake/Mountain rated by only 1/32nds of tread depth. If the tire had 14/32nds, it would have attained the Snowflake/Mountain rating. The really cool thing about the Grabber AT2 in P255/60R18 is that it weighs only 39 lbs!!! This is only 5 lbs over stock OEM tire weight-- virtually unheard of in an aggressive A/T tire and will greatly help maintain the VX's original quick-n-nimble sportiness performance.

Just a few days ago, I mounted the Grabber AT2 in P275/65R18 (32" O.D./44 lbs) on the stock OEM 18x7 rims. They fit bolt-on perfect on my 100% stock VX without any modification, except for some minor trimming on the front edge of cladding. No "lifting" of any kind is required, and no front torsion bar cranks.

In every possible tire catagory, the Grabber AT2 blows away the competition. It is without a doubt; the very best A/T tire for the VX, period.

BeeVenom
06/17/2009, 05:08 PM
I just bought a new set of Yoko Parada's 'Spec-X' all season tires on new chrome spoke wheels and love them. Although I don't drive my BeeVenom in the winter, my buddy had the Yoko's on his truck and loved them in the snow. These things have be fabulous in rain, wind, dry and hard cornering PLUS they're quiet. No complaints whatsoever!
My Yoko's are the 265-50R20's and I got them from TireRack, mounted and balanced on the new wheels and ready to go. They look awesome on my '01 Proton. Hope this helps, Scott in Michigan.

JAMAS
06/18/2009, 05:46 AM
Hopefully the sender wont mind, but I received a PM with this message and wanted to get others opinions.

......"Jamas, a guy at my tire place said those (2) smaller sized non snoflake rated grabbers were made out of a different rubber compound. Thats the only reason they arent severe snowrated."....

Riff Raff's comments made sense about why it wouldn't have been snow rated. However, why would the company make a tire with a different compound just for a smaller size. Doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks!

Riff Raff
06/18/2009, 04:38 PM
Hopefully the sender wont mind, but I received a PM with this message and wanted to get others opinions.

......"Jamas, a guy at my tire place said those (2) smaller sized non snoflake rated grabbers were made out of a different rubber compound. Thats the only reason they arent severe snowrated."....

Riff Raff's comments made sense about why it wouldn't have been snow rated. However, why would the company make a tire with a different compound just for a smaller size. Doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks!

JAMAS--- You are absolutely correct in your thinking. No, General Tire Corporation does not utilize different rubber compounds within the exact same line model of tires. The PM relayed mis-information proves that his tire guy is smokin' crack cocaine!!!

The true reason the smaller AT2's did not receive the Snowflake/Mountain rating is solely due to its 13/32nds tread depth. If the smaller AT2 tire was just a tad wider (for increased tire patch area) or had 1/32nds deeper tread depth to 14/32nds, then it would have attained the Snowflake/Mountain rating. Again, the smaller AT2 just narrowly missed-out on the rating criteria.

Will the smaller AT2 still dig like crazy in the snow??? You're damn right it will. It will run circles around any other tire on the market, at any price.

In any case; get the Grabber AT2 in the specific size you prefer best (regardless of Snowflake/Mountain rating), and never look back!!!

etlsport
06/18/2009, 08:19 PM
riffraff where did you get your info about the tread depth? i know that the goodyear fortera tripletred comes with like 10-11/32nds and it has the snowflake/mountain severe snow rating... its all about tread pattern.. my guess is that the tread pattern on those smaller tires is different, its pretty common on SUV tires

the bridgestone dueler HT has a different pattern at a 225 section width, same with the goodyear wrangler sra and a couple of others.. it wouldnt make any sense at all for a tire to be severe snow rated because of its tread depth since that tread is just going to wear away anyway

and just another quick note.. the deeper the tread on a tire, the worse the gas mileage will be (in general.. deeper tread means more flexibility, which will increase the friction)

Doomer
06/22/2009, 10:27 AM
JAMAS, I just went with some new tires a few months ago. At my son's reccommendation, I went with the Toyo Open Country A/Ts. I absolutely LOVE them. Superior ride, handling, exceptionally quiet, good looks...I could go on. These come in your size. They are M+S rated, but I don't know much about that here in TX. They also sell a more aggressive M/T tire. Our son has been a service manager for several new auto dealerships for 10+ years and says he has never heard any complaints about Toyo tires in this time. It's only been a few months, but I am more than pleased with them. I am amazed at their handling for an A/T tire. I have held SCCA & NHRA licenses, so I am an aggressive driver. I drive 90% on-road, and most off-road is dirt/cattle trail type stuff, maybe a stream crossing or two. These tires are the business for me, IMHO. There are a lot of good tires out there and this is just my 2 cents.....Robert

Bee Sting
06/24/2009, 12:06 PM
I went with Kumho Ecsta STX a little over a year ago. No problems at all in the winter. Quiet and don't make me nervous in a heavy rain.

255/55R18s, directional

JAMAS
06/24/2009, 12:09 PM
Those are the tires I currently have on. I want some all-terrains.

As a side note, they are in great shape, but not what I want. If someone wants them, I'll sell them for a good price. Tread left ......maybe 90%+...I'll have the tire guys give me a % estimate.

265/60/R18