PDA

View Full Version : Alarm antenna

SomeBeach
06/13/2009, 05:30 AM
Last night I did a simple mod to the VX. I did the alarm antenna relocate and what a difference. I used to have to be about 6 feet from my driver doo to get it to unlock. Now I can do it from 40 to 50 feet away. And what a simple mod. Took about 5 minutes. I highly recommend this simple mod.

MSHardeman
06/13/2009, 12:38 PM
pointing the remote at your head? I'm, sort of, kidding about this, but it really seems to work. Don't mean to thread jack, and I'm thinking about doing the antenna relocate too, but I've found I can almost triple the range of the stock key fob just by placing the tip of the fob to my temple and pressing the button. I have NO idea why this works, but it does. Maybe your skull amplifies the signal? :_confused I don't do it that often so I don't think that I'm giving myself brain cancer. Just do it as a little "party trick" when I have friends with me.

handeeman
06/13/2009, 12:52 PM
pointing the remote at your head? I'm, sort of, kidding about this, but it really seems to work. Don't mean to thread jack, and I'm thinking about doing the antenna relocate too, but I've found I can almost triple the range of the stock key fob just by placing the tip of the fob to my temple and pressing the button. I have NO idea why this works, but it does. Maybe your skull amplifies the signal? :_confused I don't do it that often so I don't think that I'm giving myself brain cancer. Just do it as a little "party trick" when I have friends with me.
Yes it does work (I've done it for years). I actually hold the remote under my chin (soft part before your throat). I've heard that this works because your skull amplifies the signal like a radio tower. It can't have anything to do with the brain, because it works for all . As we know certain of our members may have burned out a few more brain cells than others. J/K but we know who they are. P.S. it also works the panic alarm from a lot farther away on most vehicles.

pbkid
06/13/2009, 02:28 PM
i dont know how i would feel about sending RF signals through my head...

i kinda value it more than the extra 10 feet

Scott Harness
06/13/2009, 04:30 PM
It does seem to really work:confused:What was I talking about?

SomeBeach
06/13/2009, 05:51 PM
I just know I'm going to point my key fob at my head and you guys are goona jump out of the bushes laughing at me

Marlin
06/13/2009, 06:03 PM
I just know I'm going to point my key fob at my head and you guys are goona jump out of the bushes laughing at me

ROFL, vehicross.info version of "Candid Camera". As far as RF signals, if you are worried about your tiny remote, then you are screwed by all the other stuff already out there Jack....

pbkid
06/13/2009, 06:23 PM
ROFL, vehicross.info version of "Candid Camera". As far as RF signals, if you are worried about your tiny remote, then you are screwed by all the other stuff already out there Jack....

i know, i hurt myself so much worse with other stupid s#$t every day...i just like to pretend that i keep myself from doing stupid things ;)

SomeBeach
06/13/2009, 06:38 PM
If there is anything to fear from what comes out of the key fob, I'm sure my head is the place least likely to receive damage

circmand
06/14/2009, 12:35 PM
unlock from 10 feet or 100 feet you still can not enter til you get to the vehicle

SomeBeach
06/14/2009, 02:18 PM
With that thinking why have a key fob at all....just stick the key in the lock. Besides, my family always gets to the car before I do.

CrnCnn
06/14/2009, 02:46 PM
We only have about 30 seconds until it locks itself anyway right. So this mod is good depending on how fast you walk.

VX KAT
06/14/2009, 10:55 PM
So this REALLY does work, eh? I thought NocturnalVX and IRONwoMAN were just hazing the new kid in Moab and having a really good laugh at my expense as I dutifully held the fob to my chin at Gill's direction! Course I was like 60 feet away and Gill tweaked his fob from inside his pocket :_wtf:....and really had me going there for a second...or two...:_thinking
:laugho:

Now wait, was that before or after the chocolate monkees?

Ldub
06/16/2009, 01:28 AM
unlock from 10 feet or 100 feet you still can not enter til you get to the vehicle

True, but from that distance I can admire more of the brightly colored, blinky lights that I've installed...:smilewink

So this REALLY does work, eh? I thought NocturnalVX and IRONwoMAN were just hazing the new kid in Moab and having a really good laugh at my expense as I dutifully held the fob to my chin at Gill's direction! Course I was like 60 feet away and Gill tweaked his fob from inside his pocket :_wtf:....and really had me going there for a second...or two...:_thinking
:laugho:

Now wait, was that before or after the chocolate monkees?

Yep, It really - really works...:yes:

tom4bren
06/16/2009, 08:59 AM
{Hang head in shame}

I tried it last night. Didn't seem to make any difference. Conclusion: I'm gullable.

{Moving on}

MSHardeman
06/16/2009, 10:56 AM
Tom, I don't know why it didn't work for you. I am being totally serious when I tell you that it DOES work. There is a limit to the distance that it will boost the signal, but it does help.

To clarify; I have the stock VX alarm system and key fob. If I place the tip of the fob (that I usually point at the car) against my temple and then press the arm/disarm button it can, sometimes, triple the distance that I can arm/disarm the alarm from. Some have had some luck with placing the fob under their jaw (in the squishy part).

Could also be that your head just isn't a good conductor.:bgwo:

tom4bren
06/16/2009, 11:01 AM
Are you saying I'm dense???

I know I didn't really test it. I was walking out of KFC & hit the button on the FOB - Nothing. Put FOB under chin & hit button - worked. Hit button again (not under chin) - worked.

I'll try again under controlled conditions (no witnesses):)

MSHardeman
06/16/2009, 01:33 PM
I have nothing to say to that....